FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
EgoReaper

Resto Druid mouseover Macro question.

Hey all, Quick question, How exactly do mouseover macros work?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question =P I traditionally use vuhdo but I see some errors that I do not know how to get past on certain fights (malkorok and the shield debuff in particular).

Do they work when I hover over a name in the raid frames? Party frames? Also, how do I change the macro so it chooses myself if I have no target? (useful with wild growth)

Edit: or at a specific target in stack situations

Edited by EgoReaper

Either or, the spell would be cast at whatever your mouse is over if it has the ability to, so if mouse is on a raid/party frame it will be cast at that target, or if on a toon model cast at the toon.

a simple one would be like:

/cast [@mouseover, help] Heal

for mouseover or self something like:

/cast [@mouseover, help][@player] Heal

mouseover, self, or target:

/cast [@mouseover, help][@target, help][@player] Heal

the targets are based on priority aka order you type them so for that last one it will look at your mouseover first, then target and finally yourself if the others return a "false statement", although i believe player overrides any of the others so it should always be last.

I could make you some different ones if you'd like, those were just some generic ones you could use. There are lots of macro guides out there on good ole google :)

Oh, you can also use @focus too, i use that one the a decent amount for spells i want to keep on 1 tank while targeting something else.

• Like 2

When I use the target ones, it says "You have no Target." Even if I do have a target and I use it it will say that and also not heal myself (practicing with rejuv).

I'm very new to mouseover macros so, in the case of a heal, are you supposed to have the cursor under the frame for it to register?\

Edit: it's also not working with party or raid frames using just the basic party and raid frames.

Edited by EgoReaper

First of all you need a friendly target. wink.png

If you try this macro on a dummy it won't work.

For mouseover healing it should be irrelevant whether you hover the mouse over a char or over a name in your raid frames.

To check, whether you have typos in the spellname it will be helpful to use the

#showtooltip command before the /cast... e.g.:

#showtooltip

/cast [@mouseover, help, exists, nodead] Rejuvenation

If you create the macro and drag it to your action bar you should see the tooltip if you hover the mouse over the macro button (otherwise the button will be shaded btw!)

For more tips to healing macros see also:

https://www.icy-veins.com/restoration-druid-wow-pve-healing-macros-addons

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/forum/topic/1035533855

Edited by freeme999

I just use a basic 

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover] Swiftmend

and I just use my raid frames...  Haven't had a reason to use anything more complicated.

I can expand on that too by sticking two buttons on it such as 

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover, mod:ctrl] Ironbark; [@mouseover] Swiftmend

That lets me use Iron bark and swiftmend on the same key by pressing ctrl or not pressing a modifier 

Then you can do things like this

#showtooltip
/cast [@player, mod:ctrl] Innervate; [@mouseover] Regrowth

where that will cast innervate on yourself if you hold control, otherwise cast regrowth

• Like 1

All of these work, but let me just explain how macros actually work so you can learn to build your own.

First, when you set your macro icon, go with the ? icon. The icon will automatically become the first spell the macro will cast (if you have more than one spell in the macro).

The first line should be #showtooltip or #showtooltip <Spell Name>. Without this, when you hover your mouse over the macro on your bar, the tooltip will only display the name of the macro. #showtooltip by itself will, much like the icon, automatically show the tooltip for the first spell in the macro. #showtooltip <Spell Name> (e.g., #showtooltip Tranquility) shows the tooltip for Tranquility AND sets the icon to Tranquility, regardless of what is in the macro (Tranquility doesn't actually have to be in the macro).

I'm assuming you already know, or can see from above, that /cast <Spell> will cast the spell. What we're getting at now are the targeting, conditionals, and modifiers. These go after the /cast but before the name of the spell, and they go in brackets (i.e., []). You can alse use /use in place of /cast to save space, but most people go with /cast (once upon a time they were not interchangeable and /use was specifically for items).

Targeting:

This is what makes a mouseover a mouseover. These targets work by the generic UnitIDs, and are in the form of @<target>. You can use @player, @target, @targettarget (your target's target), @focus (very useful), @focustarget (your focus's target), @boss1, @boss2, @boss3, etc., etc., etc. There's a lot of these, but the one we're specifically concerned about is @mouseover. It's literally just whoever your mouse happens to be over. If your mouse is over their actual character, their nameplate, or their raid frame this will work. The raid frame is your best bet when you're healing, because actually getting your mouse over the nameplate or character (especially character) can be difficult, but sometimes it's useful (see: life grip). Krazy's example is perfect: /cast [@mouseover] Swiftmend will cast Swiftmend at whoever your mouse is over top of.

The only caution I have with this is for Symbiosis. I have no problems using the ability I get from Symbiosis on mouseover (like life grip or Cleanse), but giving someone the Symbiosis buff always requires me to target the person for no obvious reason. Priests have a similar issue with Cascade.

Conditionals:

These are for when you want to cast a certain spell, or cast a spell at a certain target, but only under certain conditions. They're very simple for the most part. The useful ones are combat (if you're in combat), dead (if the target is dead), help (if the target is friendly), harm (if the target is hostile), exists (you actually have this target), and no (used with the others to create the opposite). You can use multiples of these to create one big conditional. Let's use the example of my warlock's Shadowburn (execute) ability - I have it on a mouseover, but I only want it to cast if I have a mouseover target, that target is hostile, and that target is still alive (i.e., the target is not dead). I would use the following:

/cast [@mouseover, exists, harm, no dead] Shadowburn

Modifiers

Modifier keys are keys you use with other keys to create different effects. Specifically, these are control (ctrl), alt, and shift. These do not discriminate between left and right ctrl/alt/shift. The best uses of these are two change the targets you're casting at (e.g., my Havoc macro casts Havoc on my focus if I hold alt when I hit it or otherwise casts it at my target) or to change a spell (our shaman has a CD macro that will also use his Jade Serpent potion only if he holds control when he pushes it). For these you use a conditional "mod:" followed by your chosen modifier. You can also specify to use only if you are not using any mod, which simply becomes "no mod". Example:

/cast Dark Soul
/cast [mod: ctrl] Potion of the Jade Serpent

Multiple Spells

Now, as you can see in Krazy's examples, you can use multiple spells with these conditionals, modifiers, etc. You can do this in multiple ways. If you want to use just one spell but have different conditions for different targets. For this, you can simply put multiple sets of bracketed conditions back to back. Let's say I want to use Swiftmend on my target if I hold alt and my focus is friendly and alive, but otherwise want to use it on my mouseover if I have a mouseover and itis friendly and alive, or otherwise cast it on my target if my target is friendly and alive.

/cast [@focus, help, no dead, mod: alt][@mouseover, exists, help, no dead][@target, help, no dead] Swiftmend

The game processes these in the order they are written, so mouseover or not, it will cast at the focus 100% of the time if I'm holding alt. You don't actually have to put @target, as the game will assume to use your target without other input; I just put it there to be easier to read. If you just want to cast the spell at your target regardless (with no conditionals) as your last priority, you can just put empty brackets. E.g.,

/cast [@focus, mod: alt][] Havoc

The other way to do this, and this works with multiple spells, is to separate each with a semicolon (wink.png and put the conditions before the spell name. Consider this macro that will place your mushroom but bloom it if you hold control.

/cast [mod: ctrl] Wild Mushroom: Bloom; Wild Mushroom

If you're having trouble actually using them once you've made them, here's a link to a video of me healing our Siegecrafter kill. My stream shows my mouse, so you can see exactly what I'm doing. All of my macros are in this form:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover, exists] Wild Growth; Wild Growth

Hope this helps!

Edited by Kazistrasz
  • Like 1

The first line should be #showtooltip or #showtooltip <Spell Name>. Without this, when you hover your mouse over the macro on your bar, the tooltip will only display the name of the macro. #showtooltip by itself will, much like the icon, automatically show the tooltip for the first spell in the macro. #showtooltip <Spell Name> (e.g., #showtooltip Tranquility) shows the tooltip for Tranquility AND sets the icon to Tranquility, regardless of what is in the macro (Tranquility doesn't actually have to be in the macro).

Thanks for the in depth macro explanation.  I do have an issue with this though.  With all of my macros, I usually have modifiers to different spells on them.  In this paragraph you imply that #showtooltip by itself will not show the icon, when it DOES.

If I did #showtooltip <spell name> then it would ONLY show the icon and tooltip of that spell, but when I have multiple spells on that one macro, #showtooltip will show me BOTH.

So in most cases I would recommend the opposite and use ONLY #showtooltip

Thanks for the in depth macro explanation.  I do have an issue with this though.  With all of my macros, I usually have modifiers to different spells on them.  In this paragraph you imply that #showtooltip by itself will not show the icon, when it DOES.

If I did #showtooltip <spell name> then it would ONLY show the icon and tooltip of that spell, but when I have multiple spells on that one macro, #showtooltip will show me BOTH.

So in most cases I would recommend the opposite and use ONLY #showtooltip

You missed the line right before it where I explained the icon thing. The icon will do its thing without #showtooltip - you just will get your macro name for the tooltip instead of the spell tooltip.

I agree that in most cases I only use #showtooltip. I add the spell name when I've got multiple things going on that I want only one of the latter to show, for example:

#showtooltip Tranquility
/cast [mod: ctrl] Spiritwalker's Grace
/cast Lifeblood
/cast Tranquility

I do the same with trinkets, etc. that I want used on CD and macro with rotational ability.

No I read that, but I was more under the impression that it would only set an Icon if #showtooltip was present. Otherwise it would keep the '?' icon.

Linking to save space

Macro is on the bottom right in the corner. If you look above my action bars you'll see the mouseover tooltip that just says Haunt. Yet, the icon is displayed with only the /cast. #showtooltip without a spell name after makes the tooltip show the same spell as the icon rather than the macro name. Adding the spell name after it is the only time #showtooltip affects the icon.