FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

6.0 Proving Grounds: Warlock Style

You just have to use everything to get away from them while they're enraged, teleport / gateway / speed boosts, as well as dark bargain. Can sometimes depend on luck with them doing their cone attack rather than chase / melee.

You just have to use everything to get away from them while they're enraged, teleport / gateway / speed boosts, as well as dark bargain. Can sometimes depend on luck with them doing their cone attack rather than chase / melee.

I've done tanking gold as a warlock, and I did not use any kind of kiting for the last wave, nor did I spec into dark bargain. =D

Btw, think I'm gonna try to go for 40+ waves (not the tanking one, of course :P) as destruction. Do you think intellect could beat mastery on that itemlevel, or are we just shadowburning and chaos bolting way too much for that to ever happen? I'm thinking full mastery gemming myself.

Intellect scales incredibly well at 463 item level.  If you're doing CModes or PG for ranks, I'd go hard into Intellect.

Intellect scales incredibly well at 463 item level.  If you're doing CModes or PG for ranks, I'd go hard into Intellect.

That's one quick reply, dude! Appreciated. But it just feels like the only thing we do is to chaos bolt and shadowburn in proving grounds. I can understand if int is the better stat on your average boss fight, at that itemlevel, though.

At 463, Int just outweighs other stats.  It boosts spell power and a small bit of crit which is of more value than Mastery at that point.  Mastery starts to get ridiculous around 522 and takes off at that point to where it almost catches Intellect.  I'd gem pure Int in red, Int/Mastery in yellow, and Int/Hit in blue.

Either way, I don't think it'll make a big difference, although small differences can help when pushing for rankings in Cmodes and PGs.  Most of the rankers I look at are gemming full on Intellect.

Is this Proving Grounds for Warlords of Draenor? We should actually be using the trinkets from MoP for them? Something seems wierd here. Or I misread the post altogether.

Is this Proving Grounds for Warlords of Draenor? We should actually be using the trinkets from MoP for them? Something seems wierd here. Or I misread the post altogether.

Obviously you would use upgraded trinkets from current content.  I only upgraded the title because the mobs are staying the same and the only difference is I have to go in as different specs to see which is ideal and what gear to use.  Since it scales, things will be weird. 

I managed to do gold a few days ago after I reached lvl 100. I tried to do it as Demo but found it to hard because there is no execute spell, no instant cast and no cleave option. Not to mention the fury problem....

It was quite easy as Destruction though. You need to plan ahead a little bit and now what awaits you in each wave. I recommmend to take KJC because those apes will drive you mad with those bananas. Havoc really helps alot to cleave the mobs away with CB and a cataclysm at the start of certain waves makes them pretty easy. I fucked up two times at the last boss because I couldnt press enough dps on him before he put his shield up again. I would save those buffs on the ground for him. I had ILvL 598 when I did PG gold.

I managed to do gold a few days ago after I reached lvl 100. I tried to do it as Demo but found it to hard because there is no execute spell, 

It may not be one big thing with limited use only usable at 20% like Shadowburn, but our execute for demo comes at 25% with Soul Fire being spammable. Soul Fire is not a joke.

no instant cast 

One of the biggest reasons I leveled as demo was for all the instant cast it does have so that I could move and DPS, especially with ToC.

no cleave option

Wrathstorm, Hand of Gul'dan, and Chaos Wave are all cleave, plus multi-dotting.

Not to mention the fury problem....

If you kill something in meta and get the killing blow (instead of letting your pet finish it off), you get fury back. For all the pulls with lots of little things close together, a well-times Chaos Wave can result in a net gain of 500+ fury. The "fury problem" is mitigated by gaming how you play it properly.

I'm not saying demo is a better choice than destro, but all of the shortcomings you listed aren't true. You could make an argument over Soul Fire as an execute, but everything else is misleading.

I managed to do gold a few days ago after I reached lvl 100. I tried to do it as Demo but found it to hard because there is no execute spell, no instant cast and no cleave option. Not to mention the fury problem....

It was quite easy as Destruction though. You need to plan ahead a little bit and now what awaits you in each wave. I recommmend to take KJC because those apes will drive you mad with those bananas. Havoc really helps alot to cleave the mobs away with CB and a cataclysm at the start of certain waves makes them pretty easy. I fucked up two times at the last boss because I couldnt press enough dps on him before he put his shield up again. I would save those buffs on the ground for him. I had ILvL 598 when I did PG gold.

Destruction takes the cake for Proving Grounds.  It's utility bucket is very deep.  I actually prefer Mannoroth's Fury to give Ember generation, huge damage, and because KJC isn't needed with proper use of Havoc + Conflag and Shadowfury.  You also can leave your Terrorguard on monkeys and blast away at the rest of the stuff.  The last boss's DPS requirement is going to be tough with Cataclysm and Cata isn't requried for most of the pile up adds.  You don't want all those small adds dying right away anyways - use them as shields from Amber Weavers as well as Burning Ember generators. 

I'm not saying demo is a better choice than destro, but all of the shortcomings you listed aren't true. You could make an argument over Soul Fire as an execute, but everything else is misleading.

Demonology is possible for Proving Grounds but absolutely not easier or even in the same league as Destruction when it comes to pocket utility in dealing with PG's mechanics.

It may not be one big thing with limited use only usable at 20% like Shadowburn, but our execute for demo comes at 25% with Soul Fire being spammable. Soul Fire is not a joke.

Hmm I forgot Soulfire. Yes of course it is Demo's execute but I usually forget to "count" it as execute as it is available all the time. I don't like it in PG because of its casttime, even with MC stacks. Shadoburn is instant and can be cast during movement. If there are a bunch of small targets (i guess like in wave 4?) it is much easier to burn them down with F&B, place havoc on the healer and spamm Shadowburn to kill the small targets.

One of the biggest reasons I leveled as demo was for all the instant cast it does have so that I could move and DPS, especially with ToC.

ToC can only be cast in Meta as well as Chaoswave which requires DF. Imp Swarm and GoServ are also instant but have a cooldown which I don't like. I had to move quite often during the gold encounters which favours conflag and RoF if you ask me. Switching in and out of Meta also puts a cooldown on Meta which is a disadvantage.

Wrathstorm, Hand of Gul'dan, and Chaos Wave are all cleave, plus multi-dotting. get the killing blow (instead of letting your pet finish it off), you get fury back. For all the pulls with lots of little things close together, a well-times Chaos Wave can result in a net gain of 500+ fury. The "fury problem" is mitigated by gaming how you play it properly.

Yes they are all cleave but they have a limited range. Sometimes the targets are to far away to get hit bythe spells. It doesn't help with the apes or targets which spawn at differnt ends of the circle in the room. In addition you have to ensure to kill the targets with CW to get that fury. Shadowburn gires you a small time window to kill the target if SB itself couldn't do it.

Ok I should have posted those arguments in the first place. I must admit wha I wrote earlier wasn't right and yout arguments are good but I think Demonology brings to many drawbacks compared to destruction. Destruction has a more...fluid and rapid gameplay which helps a lot if the time is against you. Instant executes, big CB crits and havoc really make life easier in this encounter. Demo requires more planing and doesn't forgive you mistkades so easy as destruction does. But this is only my opinion. Maybe I should try to do it again as Demo :)

Destruction takes the cake for Proving Grounds.  It's utility bucket is very deep.  I actually prefer Mannoroth's Fury to give Ember generation, huge damage, and because KJC isn't needed with proper use of Havoc + Conflag and Shadowfury.  You also can leave your Terrorguard on monkeys and blast away at the rest of the stuff.  The last boss's DPS requirement is going to be tough with Cataclysm and Cata isn't requried for most of the pile up adds.  You don't want all those small adds dying right away anyways - use them as shields from Amber Weavers as well as Burning Ember generators. 

I don't understand what you mean re: last boss, you will have your terrorguard up for every single one when using cataclysm, it's actually a dps gain to cataclysm him with the terrorguard up isn't it? 

I don't understand what you mean re: last boss, you will have your terrorguard up for every single one when using cataclysm, it's actually a dps gain to cataclysm him with the terrorguard up isn't it? 

Good point - I often forget that I've given up on my 10 minute cooldown by taking Demonic Servitude that I forget he used to be a CD.

I think Demonic Servitude should give us even more pimped out 10 minute cooldowns on top of making the Doomguard and Infernal regular pets.  I'll take 1 Pit Lord for AoE and 1 Dreadguard for single target DPS, please.

• Like 1