FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Akishaa

Please Help me with my 556 ilvl Mage

Hello All. I am currently the only raiding mage in my guild and I really have no one else to ask for help or ideas. Would you fine people please assist me with some help?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/terenas/Akishaa/simple

Is my Armory

And this is my most recent Wow log.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/efo3mmiptsrts77y/sum/damageDone/

I do hope I have done this correctly.

Thank you all for you advice, comments or concerns. I am truly looking for some advice on my PVE skills and what i can improve and change. Thank you agian.

Edited by Akishaa

I only looked at the 3 longest pulls you had on malkorok. The two things that jumped right out at me was your bomb uptime 79%, 75%, and 61% these MUST come up to the 90's. The higher the better. The other thing I noticed was your invoker's energy buff 80%, 54%, and 56%, these also MUST come up...in the high..HIGH 90's. As far as your armory goes you have the right ideaB with dumping crit into haste then mastery but your aren't hit capped. Might I suggest a reforge addon called ReforgeLite. I use it and its awsome...it will sort out your reforges for you and might even get you some extra haste/mastery you didn't know you could get. It's also very user firendly

You've got 2 set, that is nice. Do you have any idea what direction you want to gear to? Haste or mastery? You currently have 12.9k haste, I'd advice either dropping that to go for mastery, or try to get more gear and get the 14242 global cooldown softcap. 

I'd also work on customising an addon such as Tellmewhen or Powerauras to track all your buffs such as Invoker's Energy, and Living Bomb on the boss. Try to get those uptimes up. I personally have them both at about 97-98% every fight, which is considered optimal, though rarely they do get to 99%.

Don't be too worried about PvE skills, you've come to the right place. I'd advise you to read the Frost guide on this site if you have any doubts about rotations. If you are interested in specific gearing strategies then I'd advise Akraen's brilliant guide

Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll answer them for you.

I'm looking at the longest wipe. (Tho a kill would be more accurate next time)

Zeendia "stole" your Water Elemental, so your DPS should actually be higher than it is ^^

You have 79.3% Living Bomb uptime, this should be like.. 100%. Snapshotting is also an awesome thing to do.

Invoker's Energy uptime is 54.6%. This should be 97%. This is like the most important buff you have to keep up, and this basically meant that during the half of the fight, you dealt 15% less damage overall.

Ice Barrier is a DPS loss. Use Temporal Shield.

PoM is so bad for frost... Either talents of the same tier are much better. And even if you use it, you should use it along with Alter Time (apart from using it normally)

Using Slow Fall to mitigate damage of fall damage is also a DPS loss. While in the air you cannot cast Frostbolt etc. You can use Blink immediately when you get thrown and just... Stay on the ground.

You had 35 Brain Freeze procs, but you only consumed 26 of it.

You had 23 FoF procs, but you used Ice Lance 63 (!!!!) times. NEVER ever use Ice Lance without a FoF proc! I bet this is due to movement problems, but Ice Flows, Blazing Speed and Blink should help you out a lot in this case. ^^
Shit on the ground-->Use Blazing Speed/Ice Flows/Blink-->Move out--->Continue rotation

Additionally Glyphed Cone of Cold deals more damage on move and should be used.

No potions were used at all.

CD usage was kinda okay, but I assume you are macroing Icy Veins and Alter Time. Which I wouldn't really suggest. Using Icy Veins in your opening rotation with the glyph (which is mandatory) increases your chance to proc trinkets faster, and you can use Alter Time when most trinket procs are up.

Other than these, you are 0.06% under hit cap and due to this, you wasted one Ice Lance hit.

Use reforge plot like this until you cannot reach 14424 haste: int>hit to cap>haste to 12684>mastery>haste>crit.

• Like 1

I blatantly assumed that for his gear adding extra hit would mean going over the hit cap by a few tenths of a percent. I don't want to have that discussion but I believe his hit rating is fine at the moment. 

I would focus on planning your movements, use double blink glyph and blazing speed if you have real issues. Casting Ice Lance without FoF due to movement can be avoided so easily. I use these two on Heroic Malkorok and I can literally soak puddles on the other side of the room in seconds.

Also, (especially with 2 set) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use Brain Freeze procs. Good point Oltier. Try to use the buff gained after that from 2 set on another Brain Freeze proc > FoF Ice Lance > Frostbolt.

Edited by Kver

I blatantly assumed that for his gear adding extra hit would mean going over the hit cap by a few tenths of a percent. I don't want to have that discussion but I believe his hit rating is fine at the moment. 

I would focus on planning your movements, use double blink glyph and blazing speed if you have real issues. Casting Ice Lance without FoF due to movement can be avoided so easily. I use these two on Heroic Malkorok and I can literally soak puddles on the other side of the room in seconds.

Also, (especially with 2 set) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use Brain Freeze procs. Good point Oltier. Try to use the buff gained after that from 2 set on another Brain Freeze proc > FoF Ice Lance > Frostbolt.

Since he missed once with an Icicle and once with an Ice Lance, I wouldn't really say his hit is fine.

I agree on the rest.

Since he missed once with an Icicle and once with an Ice Lance, I wouldn't really say his hit is fine.

I agree on the rest.

I suppose that will no longer matter come WoD :P You're right that at this point he can just go slightly over the hit cap, it doesn't matter that much either.

But that is an entirely different debate. I'll agree with you on that this time. OP: go cap hit.

You use Ice Block one time over all Malkorok trys. Since it seems your guild is progressing Malkorok I would advice you to change from Cauterize to Greater Invisibility. Use GI and IB to mitigate/negotiate the damage, when you are soaking the void zones. Your healers will love you for that ;) 

Edited by Anderson

Using Slow Fall to mitigate damage of fall damage is also a DPS loss. While in the air you cannot cast Frostbolt etc. You can use Blink immediately when you get thrown and just... Stay on the ground.

you can pick icy floes and use it while falling so you can cast while slowfalling if you have blink on cd (if you had to use it to move out of ground slam or to absorb)

Edited by Zizeta

you can pick icy floes and use it while falling so you can cast while slowfalling if you have blink on cd (if you had to use it to move out of ground slam or to absorb)

Or, use glyph of rapid displacement ;D

Thankyou all for your advice!!! I will get working on this and once I get it where it should be ill post another log for you guys to look at. I really appreciate all the help and advice you have given! Now time for the hard work to put this all in place!!

I was away from wow for 4 years and came back in January... I think I have done well for 3 months of work. I always understood that I Cast frost bolt until I have 5 stacks of icicles then I ice lance, from what you are saying that is incorrect, it is why I have so many ice lances then I have fof. I will fix what tou all have so kindly suggested and work more on my rotation and in movement fights.

What do you mean that the hunter stole my water elemental? That confused me.

Thank you again

Thankyou all for your advice!!! I will get working on this and once I get it where it should be ill post another log for you guys to look at. I really appreciate all the help and advice you have given! Now time for the hard work to put this all in place!!

I was away from wow for 4 years and came back in January... I think I have done well for 3 months of work. I always understood that I Cast frost bolt until I have 5 stacks of icicles then I ice lance, from what you are saying that is incorrect, it is why I have so many ice lances then I have fof. I will fix what tou all have so kindly suggested and work more on my rotation and in movement fights.

Thank you again

to clarify if you have 5 icicles and shot another frostbolt your first icicle will fire automatically

Thank you again

It's a combatlog issue. If you start combatloging with your elemental out, the WoL  or Warcraftlogs client will not be able to define whose pet it is and it will randomly assign it to someone. So in the logs, you are practically missing like 5k extra DPS. :)

However, if you first start combat loging and then summon the elemental, then it will be assigned to you and everybody is going to be happy.

to clarify if you have 5 icicles and shot another frostbolt your first icicle will fire automatically

Yes, exactly like this. :)