FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Belicosa

Honestly, is Synapse Springs worth leveling engineering?

I am currently running my mage as tailor/enchanter. My rogue is Eng so I know what a pain in the ass it is to reroll a profession.

Is Synapse springs really that much better than ring enchants and lightweave?

It's better at the start of an expansion for sure, but engineering has much more to offer.

I use Nitro boosts at least twice every encounter, really good ability to have!

Edited by Liquidsteel

I'm doing good with enchanting/tailoring too, but mostly cause I've always had them, if I were to "reroll" I would go tailoring/engineering just cause engineering got so much cool extrastuff. Have it on the lock and since no slowfall the goblin glider is really handy!

That being said its kinda nice to have one less cd to manage.

• Like 1

In addition to the previous comment, you can combine Synapse Spring with Alter Time..

So yes, it pulls ahead slightly, but I wouldn't say it is worth rerolling a whole profession just for that. :)

So yes, it pulls ahead slightly, but I wouldn't say it is worth rerolling a whole profession just for that. 

and I would disagree, it is 100% worth rerolling your profession if your goal is to optimize your dps, at this point due to how important burst and snapshotting are, as well as the effects of alter time, combining engineering and tailoring is more than just a slight boost in dps.  But really it is up to you whether you think it is worth it, if you are chasing BiS then you would also have to be a certain race and profession, since true BiS requires troll engi and tailoring.  It's all about how seriously you are taking your dps.

and I would disagree, it is 100% worth rerolling your profession if your goal is to optimize your dps, at this point due to how important burst and snapshotting are, as well as the effects of alter time, combining engineering and tailoring is more than just a slight boost in dps.  But really it is up to you whether you think it is worth it, if you are chasing BiS then you would also have to be a certain race and profession, since true BiS requires troll engi and tailoring.  It's all about how seriously you are taking your dps.

I only take issue with your final line there.

Some would argue I take DPS more seriously than any sane human should. But I play a Night Elf Enchanter/Alchemist Frost Mage. Am I a walking enigma or perhaps I'm just trying to show the world that how well they play matters so much more than their feeble attempts at min/max. Remember, Voltaa, someone like you doesn't need forums and wouldn't be asking these questions to begin with.

You can be every definition of serious by factoring in calculated & understood negatives because of how small they are relative to the output of each other choice you make. I recognize I could do +/- 1.5% more damage if I changed my race and professions, but so what? I'm so serious about my DPS that on most fights I push 99%+ of my class' potential and constantly strive to reach perfection. To that end, you can keep your fancy racials.

Min/max is why I rolled troll for mage.

Thanks for the responses. When the "get a free 90" bit came out, I went to another server (for clarity) and obsessively power-leveled a new mage to 60 for the profession boost. Still a bit early to tell ( the instant 90 gear they give you is about equal to compare to the greens you can buy from vendors at 85 so you have work to do to get comparable results) but I have seen some evidence to support synapse springs.

That said, I'm not going to reroll to eng. I need the time to work out other issues that arise, like which slot of the set is best replaced by WF...anyway, these forums are very helpful. Cheers.

• Like 1

Just to add that if you were to reroll engineering solely for Synapse Springs, it's only valid for the next 6 months or less, as it will be gone come WoD

I'd rephrase it to:
Is it worth leveling Engineering.
Answer is: Yes, it's tons of fun and the best prof.
But as Akraen stated you could work towards playing better rather than trying to min/max prof's.

If you have the money to powerlevel it then do it.
If not don't even bother farming the mats.

You can't value dps against gold, so your question is kinda hard to answer, OP.

Is engineering better than enchanting? Yes.

Should you level it? Yes.

Will you level it?

if you are min/maxing and want to optimize your dps it's absolutely worth it.  engineering is significantly better than any other profession.  It's better than any other prof bonus even if you don't use it optimally and just hit the synapse springs every time it's off cd without any regard to other procs or snapshotting, it's MUCH better than any other prof if you use it intelligently.  Almost every single high end heroic raider uses engi.

That being said, in WoD they are getting rid of the bonuses to homogenize all players, so it's probably really not worth it to do right now, you'll have a dps gain for a couple of months, at the end of a tier.

As mentioned in another thread, my raid team changed servers and now I have two mages. Arcane spec is still Tailoring/Enchanting, Frost spec is Enchanting/Engineering. Disparate gear levels still makes it hard to compare the upside of either at this point, and unless I just lose my mind and develop chronic insomnia, the Frost spec will not catch up gear-wise. And to make things more interesting (read worse) I am leveling a paladin for JC so I can save some gold when I need new gems.

Yeah, I'm pretty OCD...