Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bebben14

Raiding as Melee Help

5 posts in this topic

I've only been level 90 for a few weeks now and I've recently picked up fury warrior from prot. I'm not overly concerned about my DPS numbers as much as my fight awareness and time actively doing what needs to be done. Are there any general tips you can give me for melee DPS, I've looked at the guide provided, but it only covers things like hit/expertise rating not things like movement and when/if to swap to adds.

Get the GTFO add-on. It will provide a loud annoying sound when you are standing in shit and invariably there is nonsense at melee range in most fights. Other than that, look at the individual threads in the forums for your class (like Siege of Orgrimmar Fury Warrior style) that will have fight specific tips. You will pick up things like switching to adds etc as you start doing these fights more and more. Strategies could also depend on the group you are doing with and in most cases should come from the raid lead. (For LFR, the general tips suggested in these forums should be good enough)

All I can say is: Practice, practice, practice.

There is no substitute for knowing the fights (and not just knowing the fights, but knowing them inside and out). You'll be able to anticipate boss attacks, know where to stand (and when), when to use CDs, the works. Get yourself DBM if you don't have it already. You'll reach a point (I know I did) when you don't even need it anymore because the fights are that routine, but it helps the first few times through and if you ever get caught daydreaming.

Finally, when I say practice, I DON'T mean LFR. You will get absolutely NO experience as a raider while in LFR, outside of what attacks are called. I'll never forget the first time I expected Tortos' stone breath to do the same amount of damage in 10m as LFR, and when he wasted the raid I stood there dumbfounded. Get yourself a decent group (its perfectly okay to learn alongside someone), and raid Flex. Flex flex flex flex. There is no lockout, so do it over and over and before you know it you'll be calling out attacks before DBM does.

1 person likes this

All I can say is: Practice, practice, practice.

There is no substitute for knowing the fights (and not just knowing the fights, but knowing them inside and out). You'll be able to anticipate boss attacks, know where to stand (and when), when to use CDs, the works. Get yourself DBM if you don't have it already. You'll reach a point (I know I did) when you don't even need it anymore because the fights are that routine, but it helps the first few times through and if you ever get caught daydreaming.

Finally, when I say practice, I DON'T mean LFR. You will get absolutely NO experience as a raider while in LFR, outside of what attacks are called. I'll never forget the first time I expected Tortos' stone breath to do the same amount of damage in 10m as LFR, and when he wasted the raid I stood there dumbfounded. Get yourself a decent group (its perfectly okay to learn alongside someone), and raid Flex. Flex flex flex flex. There is no lockout, so do it over and over and before you know it you'll be calling out attacks before DBM does.

I agree. The only way to learn raid awareness is to raid, and be conscious about your movements. If you die, retrace your steps. Of course, this applise to every role and class in the game - ranged dps and healers need to be very careful with positioning. You need to get comfortable with playing your class, and with the bosses you are fighting.

A tip I would give you to practise; try soloing the big adds on Timeless isles with the different ground attacks. You'll learn how to dodge effectively. Garrosh actually does an attack similar to the large Yaungol.

1 person likes this

Definitely download GTFO. Turn off dps numbers ( floating combat text) and anything that clutters your screen. So you will see what you need to see only.

Don't stand in front of the boss, next to tank unless it is the only way to do dps. Only cleave if it is really necessary, specifically ask for. It is hard to resist to temptation of big numbers on recount but some fights like Klaxxi there isn't much point as they heal up when one of them dies.

Learn the fights and definitely use a boss - mode. If you need to run out of an ability, don't pop a cd just before that so you can max it.

These are few i could say.