FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jelbakzul

Little help with mage?

Currently i'm a 565 frostie http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuluhed/Jelbakzul/advanced
and i'm looking for a little help from the community on why my dps is so low, i'm generally pulling around 200-220K http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/308273/
Opening/burst                                                        Through out the fight
(invo before pull)                                                    Frostbolt
1-2s before pot                                                      refresh LB as it needs
frozen orb with living bomb                                    Spend fingers of frost procs
Wait till i see two fingers or all three procs            Spend brainfreeze procs
Pop all CD's (under macro)                                   Frostbolt
AT                                                                         rinse repeat till CD's come off of
Brain Freeze, ice lance                                            Cooldown
frostbolt
Ice lance (if not another brainfreeze comes up)
Spend procs from AT

Generally i try to spend brain freeze with ice lance for the T16 2PC
And from what i've read i'm not sure if i should be going with the 4PC or not and i try to keep invo up as much as i possible can while staying alive

EDIT: added world of logs records

Edited by Jelbakzul

Hi there - thanks for visiting Icy Veins. I'm really slammed @ work today so I can't really give you an in-depth analysis.

Hang tight and someone else will assist you or I'll dive in as soon as I can!

Hi,

I looked through a few of your logs quickly and bomb uptime seems to be very low on Garrosh and Galakras, though you had it on 97% on Malkorok once(That is good, try to aim for 97%). Also, your Invoker's Energy usage is non-existent. Absent on Malkorok completely, which is very bad. I would advise getting an addon such as Tellmewhen and track those, they are essential(Especially because you seem to be going full on haste.). 

Trying to always use brain freeze/ice lance in synergy is good, but it won't make up for that massive DPS loss from low uptimes. 

Also, Akraen will want to have a word with you about your pull, but I will leave that to him since he enjoys helping people with pulls.

Actually while writing this he inb4'd me saying he'll do it later. Meh.

Edit: 72% Living Bomb uptime on The Fallen Protectors HC in a full haste build? I'd strongly advise switching to Nether Tempest and aim for very high uptimes. Compare your TFP kill to mine:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/W4KHA1N8rPmbXyzf#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=2

I'm not even the best at frost out there, but it should work as a general hint.

• Like 1

I will try some addons, anything not to intrusive but gets the job done? and something to help remind me to do bombs would be just an added bonus biggrin.png 

Is there any other build than straight haste? I'm very new to the mage class in general started this xpac just before 5.4 came rolling in, and i generally just go with what AMR tells me to gem/chant/reforge... granted that i assume is only going to last me for so long

I will try some addons, anything not to intrusive but gets the job done? and something to help remind me to do bombs would be just an added bonus biggrin.png 

Is there any other build than straight haste? I'm very new to the mage class in general started this xpac just before 5.4 came rolling in, and i generally just go with what AMR tells me to gem/chant/reforge... granted that i assume is only going to last me for so long

Yes, you can follow Akraen's awesome guide here and try any of those builds. For tracking stuff, I would personally advise Tellmewhen. I use it myself and I love it, use it for everything even. All procs, buffs, debuffs, mage bomb, everything.

Well its raid time now, hopefully with what you've told me i can max my dps and stay on the team biggrin.png

Good luck! Don't be demotivated if you check logs today and conclude that it isn't what you had hoped. To do these things in a raiding environment consistently always takes some practise because it is the first time you think consciously about it. If you want your logs of tonight analysed to see if we can find any other things you might want to focus on then please post them as well.

Loooked at your last Malkorok Fight and found some things Kver didn't mention:

Brain Freeze Procs: 34 used: 27 (Try to use bf as soon as possible, so you don't waste procs)

FingersOfFrost Procs: 21 used 26 (Don't use Ice Lance without FoF, if you have to move there are better spells than icelance without FoF) 

Bomb Uptime was good in general, but I don't know if you snapshot your bombs (in your rota you did not mention that). If you don't snapshot start doing so. If you don't know how, see Magebomb Snapshotting guide

Even though Kver already mentioned it: Keep Invoker's Energy up all time! If you can't do that, because of missing routine with your mage abilitys and boss specific mechanics, read Alternative Use of Incanter's Ward

Just for comparison: I am at ilvl 552 and do the same amount of dps on Malkorok ;)

I tend to have a trigger finger when running just to hit icelance by instinct other than fire blast i haven't really seen much i can cast on the move other than re-applying my dots

Last nights pulls with H immerseus and sha (what my raid keeps me on from now onsad.png ) i managed to keep my invo and bomb's up i would say a good 90ish uptime in my opinion and saw a HUGE dps increase just from that alone near 60-70K although i did die twice to sha ph34r.png ill know more when the GM posts the logs, and i'll be sure to post them here too ^_^

Edited by Jelbakzul
  • Like 1

That's good to hear! Bomb and Invo uptime are incredibly strong for Frost. Once we've got your logs we can have another look and tell you if there is anything more specific you can improve on. For now, just keep focusing on keeping those two up!

For some reason that link links to the WCL frontpage for me, but I am not sure if that is my tablet's fault. I am glad to hear that you are doing well though, keep it up.

I would advise your raid leader to put more suitable classes on the belt however.