4 posts in this topic

Yo, first time poster. Let's talk about Restless Blades.

There seems to be many viable ways to manipulate your CPs (especially with Anticipation), so it's important to discuss how to keep our CDs on their CDs while also minimizing their total time on CD. This leads to a couple of questions...

When would it be appropriate to blow a five CP finisher, assuming a CD has fewer than ten seconds left to finish (i.e. where it may be good to use said CPs when KS has nine seconds left to finish the CD, and one second would be wasted, it would be better to save our CPs if it had, say, one second left)?

Another common occurrence is where AR and SB may be off CD, but KS has some time left. We know that If we use some finishers to get KS off and back on CD before we use our other two abilities, we would very quickly have another KS after AR and SB. However, we would have of course delayed AR and SB, and that is not good, generally speaking. So, at what point in KS's CD would it be better to delay AR and SB, in order to get a second quick KS?

CD: cooldown

CP: combo point

KS: Killing Spree

AR: Adrenaline Rush

SB: Shadow Blades

1 person likes this

Restless Blades, great topic!

This mechanic is definitely beyond the basics of the Combat rogue, and taking advantage of it can be tricky.

I'm going to lay out five different situations and my thoughts on them. I unfortunately only have my experience to back me up on this, so if any mathmagicians out there want to take a crack at this topic I'd love to see what you've got.

Situation 1: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has between 20 and 11 seconds left.

-

You want to keep your energy low, and pool as many combo points as you can. Wait as close to 11 seconds remaining as possible, hit your finisher, SS or RS one more time to dump the energy you got back from Relentless Strikes, and hit your KS. While you are biding your time waiting for 11 seconds, do not let your energy get too high. If you pool too much you will cap out quickly during your KS.

Situation 2: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has 10 or fewer seconds left.

-

If you get into this spot it means you probably mismanaged Situation 1. Nevertheless, here you are, and you need a plan. You need to do a fast mental calculation immediately on whether or not you think you have enough combo point room to continue attacking to keep your energy low and not cap out on combo points. If you think you can last the rest of the KS cooldown without combo point capping or gathering too much energy, then try to last it out. If you don't think you can make it, cut your losses and cast your 5 point finisher immediately. The more time you wait, the more Restless Blades benefit you are losing.

Situation 3: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are less than 10 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

I would delay AD/SB in this situation. Make sure you use your 5 point finisher with 11 or more seconds left on AD/SB, then pool combo points waiting on KS. If you are able to keep your energy low leading into KS that would be ideal.

Situation 4: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are between between 11 and 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

I would still delay AD/SB. You're going to have to use a 5 point finisher to reel in that KS cooldown, but the benefit of fewer wasted RB reductions on your Killing Spree will outweigh one missed RB reduction on AD/SB along with a small CD delay. Treat the situation the same as Situation 3, just with an added 5 point finisher.

Situation 5: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are more than 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

-

You can't stand to delay AD/SB at this point. Not only will you have to waste the RB benefit on AD/SB twice, but you could be looking at a 15+ second delay on the cooldown. It's possible to reduce that time, but you'd be entering the cooldown with low combo points and low energy, which is even worse. Properly use RB into your AD/SB cooldown and eat the difference on your KS cooldown.

What do you think?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. You actually confirmed a lot of what I have believed, but I will keep situation 5 in mind from now on during my raids. As for situation 2, it would be very nice to know where it would be worth it to waste the seconds on RB, in terms of mathematical value instead of theory.

I spent a bit of time trying to develop a formula that would give some guidelines on how long you can hold on on the KS cooldown at any particular energy/combo point level, and I quickly realized that it's not that easy. Rogues, especially Combat Rogues, have such a murky range of energy and combo point granting abilities that it's very hard to pinpoint a general rate of energy and combo point production over time. Even if I could wade through all of the chances to come up with an average, your experience between one situation and another with exactly the same variables could be wildly different. Maybe for 6 seconds you get no Sinister Strike crits and your Combat Potency procs less than usual. Maybe next time for 6 seconds you crit like crazy and Combat Potency floods you with energy.

I guess I've developed a sense of whether I'm likely to be able to ride out the remaining time from testing and seeing the result many, many times over. So, unfortunately that's all I can give you for Situation 2. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bez
      Who we are
      <Hollow> is a semi-hardcore guild created by a group of friends, experienced players, that raided HC together in WOTLK. We reunited and transfered to the same realm to create a guild, or more accurately, a home. We keep a very friendly environment in and out of raids, oftenly joining discord to chat even if we aren't doing anything. Guild activities include but are not limited to mythic dungeons, mythic + and raiding.
      Our goals
      Our current progress is 7/7HC and 2/3HC. Our goal is to form a better composed raid team and down ToV HC. During which we want to get everyone experienced and geared for mythics and next content. Mythic raiding is also in our plans once we get the right group for it.
      What we are looking for
      We are currently planning to expand and size up our raid team to progress ToV HC and in the not too distant future, Mythic raiding. We are strongly prioritizing priests of any spec, and healers are highly considered in general.
      RDPS: Most wanted all (Spriest); MDPS: Also welcome; HEAL: Need one or two (dont have monk, Dpriest); TANK: Main tank spots filled, still we could use one extra with DPS spec. Less geared people are also welcomed. 
      We also welcome social players as it can help our guild expand even further in other aspects of the game.
      Our raiding schedule
      Our current raiding schedule is 3 raids a week for 3 hours:
      Wednesday 8pm to 11pm server time - ToV Heroic Sunday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Heroic Tuesday 8pm server time - ToV Normal & EN Normal The guild is using DKP system
      NOTE: We have added a catch up system for new recruits. When you get past the trial phase and join the ranks as an official member of our guild, you also earn 200 dkp as bonus. If thats not enough we will consider more options. We wont leave anyone behind no matter how new while at the same time, drawing a line for our core, active raiders.
      Thank you for taking your time reading through this post. If you have any further questions or if you are interested in joining us, feel free to contact us in game on Solidz, Hotbez or add us on BNET at Solidus#2642, bez#21193.
    • By NasharStormrage
      Here on Icy Vein's under the Arms Warrior DPS guide here is the recommended relic choice. I was under the impression that [Exploit the Weakness] was our top priority even if it meant 20-25iLvl difference. Since it would increase the proc chance by a factor of x2 with all three relics increasing Tacticians...
      Why does this guide on Icy Veins say otherwise? Is it because the information is out of date and hasn't been updated?

(Original Link: http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arms-warrior-pve-dps-artifact-talents-traits-relics)

Unfortunately this is not someting I can just run a Sim on because I don't currently have any [Exploit the Weakness] relics.
    • By Brutal
      <Bad RNG> is a Semi-Hardcore Horde raiding guild recruiting for our raiding team to progress quickly through Mythic's! The guild is currently located on Detheroc, but many realms are connected together. The list of connected realms are "Detheroc, Dethecus, Lethon, Haomarush, Blackwing Lair and Shadowmoon" but many guildies are located on the realm Lethon(Including leadership). Which are all US-PvP.

Group 1 - 3/7 M EN (currently not recruiting, but fill-ins occasionally snagged from group 2)
      Group 2 - 7/7 H EN, 3/3 N TOV (open recruitment below)

Mainly we're recruiting people who will be in our core raids but we also accept PvP player as well as casuals. We make sure everyone is comfortable in the guild to maximize their play-style. But we do ask for anyone who joins to have a tough skin on their back to take criticism and jokes. 

All players recruited for raiding positions must earn their way to their position, that doesn't mean you won't raid. We rarely sit players.

We will cross realm trial you if you wish, but you will not get loot until you join. Completely up to you. We also have people that will help you transfer if you're interested in not spending cash on it.

Current Needs

Group 2

Tanks:
      Currently none.
      Melee DPS with Tank OS:
      Currently any.
      Healers:
      Mistweaver Monk Ranged DPS with Healer OS:
      Currently any.
      Melee DPS:
      None (still apply, things change)
      Ranged DPS:
      Shadow Priest
      Balance Druid
      Mage(High) Arcane
      Frost
      Fire
      Warlock Destruction
      Demonology
      Affliction
      Hunter(High) Beast Mastery
      Marksman  
       Shaman (ele)  

Raid Times

Group 2:

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - Monday included for alt runs or pushing progression.
      8:00PM - 11:00PM CsT (server time)
      6:00pm - 9:00PM PsT
      9:00PM-12:00AM EsT

How to apply!
      Contact the Raid Leader for all Guild inquiries
      Recruitment Contact:
      Brutal#1229
      http://badrng.enjin.com/
    • By Mystykall
      [H] <Blackhole Gaming> US-Illidan – Recruiting Raiders – Two Day - Mythic - Tu/Th

We are a 2 night raiding guild looking for more players. Raid times are:

Tuesday /Thursday 7:00 - 10:30 PM (CST) server time. 

The leaders of <Blackhole Gaming> have been playing WoW since the game was released with multiple years of experience leading a guild. 

Progression: 
      Emerald Nightmare - 3/7M

Recruiting for Mythic Progression through all content.

Recruitment is currently open for core spots.

High Need:

Damage Classes
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Hunter
      Warlock
      Mage

Healers 
      Priest
      Monk
      Shaman

We are looking to recruit all exceptional players, if you don’t see your class we may still have a spot for you. We are always looking for Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS to assist with certain strats.

Visit us at: www.blackholegaming.org

Raid Leader: Isabelli#1577
      Guild Master: Mystykall#1117
      Officers:
      Muphin#1909 
      Clandon#1499
      Ethica#1133
      Ancobestoco#1951
      Isabelli#1577
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 4/7 Mythic EN+ 2/3 Heroic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: Medium demand.
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614