4 posts in this topic

Yo, first time poster. Let's talk about Restless Blades.

There seems to be many viable ways to manipulate your CPs (especially with Anticipation), so it's important to discuss how to keep our CDs on their CDs while also minimizing their total time on CD. This leads to a couple of questions...

When would it be appropriate to blow a five CP finisher, assuming a CD has fewer than ten seconds left to finish (i.e. where it may be good to use said CPs when KS has nine seconds left to finish the CD, and one second would be wasted, it would be better to save our CPs if it had, say, one second left)?

Another common occurrence is where AR and SB may be off CD, but KS has some time left. We know that If we use some finishers to get KS off and back on CD before we use our other two abilities, we would very quickly have another KS after AR and SB. However, we would have of course delayed AR and SB, and that is not good, generally speaking. So, at what point in KS's CD would it be better to delay AR and SB, in order to get a second quick KS?

CD: cooldown

CP: combo point

KS: Killing Spree

AR: Adrenaline Rush

SB: Shadow Blades

1 person likes this

Restless Blades, great topic!

This mechanic is definitely beyond the basics of the Combat rogue, and taking advantage of it can be tricky.

I'm going to lay out five different situations and my thoughts on them. I unfortunately only have my experience to back me up on this, so if any mathmagicians out there want to take a crack at this topic I'd love to see what you've got.

Situation 1: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has between 20 and 11 seconds left.

You want to keep your energy low, and pool as many combo points as you can. Wait as close to 11 seconds remaining as possible, hit your finisher, SS or RS one more time to dump the energy you got back from Relentless Strikes, and hit your KS. While you are biding your time waiting for 11 seconds, do not let your energy get too high. If you pool too much you will cap out quickly during your KS.

Situation 2: KS will be ready before AD/SB, KS has 10 or fewer seconds left.

If you get into this spot it means you probably mismanaged Situation 1. Nevertheless, here you are, and you need a plan. You need to do a fast mental calculation immediately on whether or not you think you have enough combo point room to continue attacking to keep your energy low and not cap out on combo points. If you think you can last the rest of the KS cooldown without combo point capping or gathering too much energy, then try to last it out. If you don't think you can make it, cut your losses and cast your 5 point finisher immediately. The more time you wait, the more Restless Blades benefit you are losing.

Situation 3: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are less than 10 seconds between the two cooldowns.

I would delay AD/SB in this situation. Make sure you use your 5 point finisher with 11 or more seconds left on AD/SB, then pool combo points waiting on KS. If you are able to keep your energy low leading into KS that would be ideal.

Situation 4: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are between between 11 and 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

I would still delay AD/SB. You're going to have to use a 5 point finisher to reel in that KS cooldown, but the benefit of fewer wasted RB reductions on your Killing Spree will outweigh one missed RB reduction on AD/SB along with a small CD delay. Treat the situation the same as Situation 3, just with an added 5 point finisher.

Situation 5: AD/SB will be ready before KS, there are more than 20 seconds between the two cooldowns.

You can't stand to delay AD/SB at this point. Not only will you have to waste the RB benefit on AD/SB twice, but you could be looking at a 15+ second delay on the cooldown. It's possible to reduce that time, but you'd be entering the cooldown with low combo points and low energy, which is even worse. Properly use RB into your AD/SB cooldown and eat the difference on your KS cooldown.

What do you think?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. You actually confirmed a lot of what I have believed, but I will keep situation 5 in mind from now on during my raids. As for situation 2, it would be very nice to know where it would be worth it to waste the seconds on RB, in terms of mathematical value instead of theory.

I spent a bit of time trying to develop a formula that would give some guidelines on how long you can hold on on the KS cooldown at any particular energy/combo point level, and I quickly realized that it's not that easy. Rogues, especially Combat Rogues, have such a murky range of energy and combo point granting abilities that it's very hard to pinpoint a general rate of energy and combo point production over time. Even if I could wade through all of the chances to come up with an average, your experience between one situation and another with exactly the same variables could be wildly different. Maybe for 6 seconds you get no Sinister Strike crits and your Combat Potency procs less than usual. Maybe next time for 6 seconds you crit like crazy and Combat Potency floods you with energy.

I guess I've developed a sense of whether I'm likely to be able to ride out the remaining time from testing and seeing the result many, many times over. So, unfortunately that's all I can give you for Situation 2. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Belfort

I am in a bit of a tight spot at the moment, I really struggle to understand/learn the current assassination spec. I know i'm doing something wrong, as reading on the forums ass is god-like, insane damage and shit. The thing is i get blown to pieces by quite a few classes. 1 stun and i'm gone. Outside evasion almost all melee classes are instant detonation. Maybe with the except of other rogues. 
      Take the DH,
      I get 100-0 in the AOE stun. It goes through evasion and cloak. I realize that it's a rock -paper- thingy but most of their damage seems unavoidable. Outside evasion i'm dead. I've tried everything, I can bring them down to 10-20% and "puff" they are back to 80% health. The evasion is used to survive the first 8 secs. If not popped i'll instantly die. 
      They seem to clear DOTS randomly, they have some kind of evasion so landing the full kidney-shot misses a lot. Their ranged attack hits 8-9 times harder than mine, so kiting their burst is impossible. Vanishing is impossible, as i can be spotted instantly and my stun DR's are already up.
      Almost all classes just use trinket on the cheap shot and they don't seemed to be "punished" for at all! there is no consequence like there used be.
      The stealth seems to break out of frekin nowhere, latency is now working to the laggers advantage, as in, unless i'm 1m ahead of the target my stuns wont landl, i just end up doing a stupid animation!

If we ignore the mandatory l2p, I would appreciate some advice!
      I played since vanilla and got my shoulders and all that, I know my way around a handful of classes. This expansions pvp “balance” or complete lack of, just seems odd. 
    • By LanceFW
      http://i.imgur.com/4y6HcUV.png[/img]     Valiant Vengeance was created about 7 years ago by the same leadership that is held today. We are a progression minded semi-hardcore guild who has raided since WoTLK. Each raid tier we have gotten progressively better at our pace and we plan to be a competing guild in Legion. VV raids 3 nights a week for a total of 9 hours a week.   Progression: 5/7M 7/7H   Raid Times: 6-9PM Pacific Raid Days Tues, Thurs, and Sun Loot System: EPGP Voice Comm: Discord   Current Recruitment Needs:   Tank Will make considerations 1 RDPS of any class . 1 Strong healer with a good DPS os, prefer R Sham   All applications regardless of role and spec will be considered if you can make our raid times and perform to our standards.   Our guild is comprised of members who have been with us for quite awhile, over several raid tiers and and expansions. We are pretty close knit and are wishing to add to the team. Just because we are progression minded and serious about raiding does not mean we do not have fun and just be friends. VV is a strictly no drama guild and any of those who wish to start it are immediately removed. If you are seeking a friendly, fun guild to raid with and be competitive with in Legion, VV is the place for you!   For any questions please add me on Btag or apply on our Guildsite. Raid Leader and Guild Master: Pyra#1209 Co-GM: Lance#1115 Guild Site: valiantvengeance.enjin.com  
    • By Sajakain
      ► Introduction:
      <Hand of Fate> is an Alliance Raiding Guild on US-Stormrage and we are looking for like-minded individuals to join our raid team. Our overall goal is to clear content while it is relevant while only raiding two nights a week.
      What are your goals for Legion? What kind of raid team are you looking for?
      ► The Details:
      Here are some of the direct details you are probably looking for concerning our team:
      Raid Days: Tuesday and Wednesday Raid Time: 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST) Invites: 8:30 PM - 8:45 PM EST Attendance Requirement: 100% Current Progression: 7/7(H)  
      ► What We're Looking For:
      Above anything else, we're looking for the player with an attitude and character that fits our team. We have turned several "skilled" players away simply because their attitude was not right for our team. Gear can be given and this game can be taught; character and attitude cannot.
      Specific Class Needs:
      We consider all applications that are submitted regardless of class or spec. We are, however, in immediate need of:
      Healers: (Druid, Monk, Paladin, Shaman MDPS: (Rogue) RDPS: (Druid, Hunter, Priest)  
      ► Our Expectations:
      All or our expectations can be found on our website (provided below) in greater detail. For a quick list, however, we expect the following:
      You should shoot for 100% attendance. We understand life happens (and do allow for absences as such) but you are committing yourself to a team with other individuals who are adjusting their lives to raid with you. If you should need to miss raid, we have a forum board to post such absences. You should be well versed in your chosen class and spec. As a bonus, being well versed in multiple specs (based on class) is even better. You should be able to handle the game, smoothly with adequate graphics to determine where the fire is. Additionally, your connection should be stable enough to prevent you from disconnecting twice an hour. Lagging out and disconnecting on a regular basis is not acceptable. Additionally, you should have a functioning microphone to communicate in TeamSpeak. Talking will not always be required of you but you should have the ability and willingness to do so if asked. You should be willing to register on our website and, at the very least, read content that is posted to it. Writing on our forums is not required except in rare cases. Our website is a valuable resource to the guild; it hosts information about upcoming raids, strategies, and theorycrafting sections but is also host to some of our recreational games that involves you outside of raiding; fun stuff with prizes and entertaining posts all around.
      ► Mythic+ Dungeons:
      We are also recruiting folks that are interested in farming Mythic+ dungeons in addition to our raiding.
      ► Contact Information:
      Below you will find the information you need to get in contact with us should you have any questions or concerns. Additionally, you will find the link to our website so that you can read more about us.
      Thank you for taking the time to read this and we look forward to finding like-minded individuals to take on Legion with us!
      BattleTag Contacts:
      Sajakain (Guild Master / Raid Leader): Sajakain#1683 Sanatlock (Guild Officer): KUEng#1553
    • By mischievous
      Cleared Heroic and Normal Emerald Nightmare in the first week of it's release.
      Classes Needed:
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Always looking for exceptional DPS of any class.

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply at our website http://shiftycasuals.wowlaunch.com/.  If you have questions about the application process, contact any of the officers for additional information.

Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H Recruiting Ranged DPS and Heals for Mythic progression.
      About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of in real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus during Firelands (Cataclysm). We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids.
      What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids. At this moment, we are only seeking out ranged DPS (prefer lock, mage, or hunter) and healers (prefer druid or monk).
      Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Ventrilo for our raids. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster (ie. if we only have 2 healers available, we cannot do 20man that night).
      If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!