FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
snooze

Help with my Mage

HI, i've  started playing WoW in september 2013. Since then i read a lot of forums and read all guide's on icy-veins, but i still have some questions regarding my mage and hope u guys can help me out.

My armory:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-maelstrom/Snoozeslo/simple

Logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/6487

I've been using mixture build for frost. Here are the AskMrRobot stats i have when i'm raid buffed: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/the_maelstrom/snoozeslo

I use one of Akrens  values that i saw in his post.

I got new wrist's yesterday but i'm in a dilema if i should use them. Curently i have http://www.wowdb.com/items/104498-scalebane-bracers

and i got http://www.wowdb.com/items/104595-avools-ancestral-bracers

some ppl i asked sad that i should use Avools-ancestral-braces but i'm confused beacuse when i equip them i dont get near the 25% crit cap i should have. So can u guys tell me if it is worth getting your mastery % up and sacrifice crit %  or should i always have 25% crit no matter what?

I would also appreciate if u can give me some tips for maximizing my dmg done in fights. I know i had problems with Invocation up time and bomb on malkorok this week, but that is beacuse its hard for my pc to handle 25-man raids and i start to get fps drops =S.

I try to snapshot my bombs when i get good trinket procs and refresh it when they are about to expire. I also use a addon that tells me if it's ok to refresh bomb(affdots something like that).

In my rotation i use prepot, cast mirror images and start casting frostbolt when pull timer is at 1s i use my bomb beacuse my kadrix trinket procs and some other stuff. Then i wait for Pboi proc and i use frozen orb so i get proc of FoF and BF proc and i use alter timer. I try to refresh invocation when it has 1-3s left. I use ice lance only when i have FoF charge. 

Is the Bis list for frost mage on icy-veins right?

Tnx for help

Forgot to tell i use WeakAuras2 to track my trinket procs, bomb timer and invocation. I have a bit of a problem with bomb tracking beacuse if some other mage puts a bomb on the same target doesent show the right values. Some one knows how to fix that it will only show my bomv remaining time?

Edited by snooze

Bracers:

Take Avool's Bracers. If you look at Akraen's Frost Mage Guide you'll see that his AMR Value for Crit is 1.0 and reaching your soft crit cap should be your last priority. Avool has Mastery and Haste on it, what do you want more?

About Mage Bomb Snapshotting: Don't let Affdots tell you when to snapshot! It is very missleading for mages. See Magebomb Snapshotting Guide (It also has a note about Affdots for Mages).

If your guild is killing Malkorok HC already, I think you can drop IceBarrier and spent that gcds on dps abilities. (Aside from Malkorok always use Temporal Shield).

I would suggest to swap from Cauterize to Greater Invisibilty in general.

Edited by Anderson

Tnx for the advice, i gonna go with the bracers you suggested.

Yea i wasnt clear enough how i use affilidots addon. I use it for tracking how powerful would my bomb be compared to the one that is aleady in use, i don't use it to tell me when to dot. But i saw there is a lot of new post in that dotting guide and i'll read it.

Do u have any idea about the problem with weakauras2 and tracking bombs? 

Tnx for the advice, i gonna go with the bracers you suggested.

Yea i wasnt clear enough how i use affilidots addon. I use it for tracking how powerful would my bomb be compared to the one that is aleady in use, i don't use it to tell me when to dot. But i saw there is a lot of new post in that dotting guide and i'll read it.

Do u have any idea about the problem with weakauras2 and tracking bombs? 

Don't use weakauras for that. :P

Anyways, I guess there should be a filter for "source" or something like that?

Which addon should i use then biggrin.png

Is it ok if 'i'm on 20% crit when raid buffed?

ForteXorcist is my favourite, but MageBombTracker is also an awesome addon.:3

Yes.

MageBombTracker does a decent job of telling you when the bomb is up and how much time is remaining in your bomb. You should also try and see if all your Weakauras are set up for Own Only. 

I always learn something new here! Should give ForteXorcist a try. I am always searching for that perfect UI that I will love. 

Edited by Cynthaea
  • Like 1

Yea i checked and i saw i didnt click on "Own only", it works fine now. Do you guys have any other tips for maximizing my dmg done? i know i do some mistakes in my rotation beacuse of my computer and a bit of lags i get, but im farely new to WoW and i wanna know all about mages =).

Comparing to my guildmate who is aswell frost spec i do a little bit lower dmg. Is that beacuse he is a bit more geared or beacuse of my mistakes in rotation and decisions that i make?

His name is "Jorix" and here are logs from this week:

To Malkorok: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qKjL1Apw6fNDTJ9h

To Klaxxi:http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/pcKDB2zN4WqGV9ng

We are progressing on Klaxxi that's why i ask a lot of questions regarding my play style.

From what little I know about analyzing logs, your guildie Jorix there does have a higher bomb uptime than you do. You should also strive to keep an uptime of >95%. The higher ilvl also does help him. You both have similar Invoker Energy uptimes. As with bomb uptime, you should also try and keep Invoker's Energy >95%. 

Jorix seems to have a more haste heavy build than you do. This will explain, how with higher bomb uptime he puts out more damage due to more LB ticks.(My understanding of how many extra ticks that scales with haste is only basic so I may be wrong) And with more haste his frostbolt casts will be shorter, so he will have had more frostbolt casts than you. I am only trying to explain the higher dps as best as I can.

Also, if you notice and compare your bomb "casts", Jorix does have a steady refresh rate on his bombs. I see that you tend to be a little trigger happy with your bomb application. You can try and reapply with more procs(called snapshotting) but you don't have to do it every second and then let the bomb slip off for a bit of time. 

You had 41 Brainfreeze procs and you used only 35 of them. I know that everyone tends to miss a few but you should try not to. You don't tend to cast Ice Lance without Fingers of Frost procs, which is a good thing! smile.png

This is what I could figure out. Also, on the Klaxxi fight I don't see Jorix on the logs.

Edited by Cynthaea
  • Like 1