Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carsten

MoP leveling spec

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone !

As MoP is coming dangerously close I've started thinking about leveling preparation.

As we'll mostly be killing low life mobs it seems to me that fire is out of the question as it relies a lot on dots.

Between frost and arcane I think that frost is the better choice as it offers more survivability (for some boss soloing and simply dying less) and the current numbers indicate that the spec does pretty good damage.

What are your thoughts ?

I think Arcane is a terrible spec to level up in MoP. The problem is that your mana regeneration will be really low as you cannot benefit from any of the Tier 6 talents and you will be stuck with your level 85 biscuits until you reach 90 (or maybe the 300k mana regen biscuits unlock at level 88, I don't remember). So basically, you will spend your time eating food to regenerate your mana.

With Frost, you won't run into the same issues, and you will be able to make good use of your Frost Novas with Ice Lance.

Didn't think of mana regen issues... A clear choice then, thanks !

Didn't think of mana regen issues... A clear choice then, thanks !

i'm also going to lvl up my mage in frost spec, i'm even specially going to delete my most precious arcane spec for that until lvl 90 :)

With all the Crit / Procs/ Burst and movability I am not sure why you say fire isnt a good choice:) just careful not to pull packs of 10 mobs, as we did in raids before:)

1 person likes this

I think I will level as fire also. You lose out on the pet but I feel like the extra aoe dps from combustion and the new inferno blast spreading will make up for it. You can also hold on to and control your pyroblast proc's easier now for more controlled burst on mobs. I also like dragon's breath as an emergency talent.

I think with the new changes and inferno blast the fire spec will be also viable for lvling up .....otherwise frost will be the one!

PS

I hope i wont have to go back to frost for lvling fire is really enjoyable atm!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kirwow
      Hey there!
      I've recently started playing a mage, and I feel like my performance is a little below where it should be right now... I feel like I have the basics of the fire rotation down, but I really want to make any improvements that I can.. I don't really know where i'm going wrong, or what i'm doing that is causing a gap in numbers between me and similarly geared players. I have a log from a normal Xavius fight from earlier, maybe someone could take a look at it and point out any mistakes or give a few pointers?
      Thanks for your time!
      WCL: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xDnCkjbgT7qfMXt1
      armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Networks/advanced
    • By Archimage
      Wanted to share this:

• By Archimage
      Macros for mage talents in 7.1 just putting it out there:   Frost: /use [talent:1/1] Ray of Frost; [talent:1/2] Lonely Winter; [talent:1/3] Bone Chilling
      /use [talent:2/1] Shimmer; [talent:2/2] Cauterize; [talent:2/3] Cold Snap
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Ice Nova; [talent:4/2] Frozen Touch; [talent:4/3] Splitting Ice
      /use [talent:5/1] Ice Floes; [talent:5/2] Ring of Frost; [talent:5/3] Ice Ward
      /use [talent:6/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Artic Gale
      /use [talent:7/1] Thermal Void; [talent:7/2] Glacial Spike; [talent:7/3] Comet Storm   Fire: /use [talent:1/1] Pyromaniac; [talent:1/2] Conflagration; [talent:1/3] Firestarter
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Blast Wave; [talent:4/2] Flame ON; [talent:4/3] Controlled Burn
      /use [talent:6/1] Living Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Flame Patch
      /use [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Cinderstorm; [talent:7/3] Meteor   Arcane: /use [talent:1/1] Arcane Familiar; [talent:1/2] Presence of Mind; [talent:1/3] Words of Power
      /use [talent:4/1] Supernova; [talent:4/2] Charged Up; [talent:4/3] Resonance
      /use [talent:6/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Erosion
      /use [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Quickening; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb     General Focus Macros: /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Polymorph
      /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Counterspell
    • By Sektr63
      Hello there! Which artifact and spec you recomended me to choose on leveling 100-100?
      Thx!
    • By lybrewa
      Preface:
      - First post on Ice Veins - only recently started using the site but, omg, savior
      - Been playing Warcraft for about 4 years, off and on... still consider myself a newb
      - Boosted a blood elf mage to 100, thinking I'd only use it for farming
      - Got myself all three artifacts and up to 110 as frost

So, I got sick of the low dps that frost mage was providing in dungeons and was getting killed frequently. Others in my parties would get very frustrated with me. I didn't blame them.
      Today I switched to Fire mage. Of course, I'm not familiar with all the spells but WOW. I tried killing some withered in Suramar just to test it out and they demolished me. Ice Barrier was always my go-to as Frost and if my shield went down before I could recast, I'd cast Mirror Image to take the damage for me.
      (I HATE that mages have no in-combat heal)
      Looking for help. Tell me if you need me to post anything. Like I said; total newbie. Most acronyms frighten me and there are lots of terms I don't know, lol.
      I'm thisclose to finishing Pathfinder Part 1. Should probably stick to Frost until I get it, but I would like to go Fire after that. Preferably without dying.