FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mcbone

Choosing a Race for WoD

I'm making a new Horde lock in preparation for WoD and was leaning toward Orc. I know Troll has always been good but I just don't prefer their looks and animations. Is there a compelling reason to roll a different race with the new racials now announced?

Orcs will maintain Blood Fury and their stun reduction will go down to 10% reduction.  The stun reduction is mediocre, but Blood Fury is nice as it lines up with every Dark Soul.  It basically gives Dark Soul an enhanced version.  Orcs also have the best looking shoulder armor ever.  Their dance leaves something to be desired, but they sound ferocious with battle emotes.

Trolls will maintain Berserking, but it will be dwindled down to 15%.  With snapshotting being removed, Berserking will have a much smaller effect on DPS.  I HIGHLY doubt most of the Trolls today are there because they like how they look/sound/dance/talk. 

Goblins are having their Haste passive modified so that it is a true 1% bonus to Haste.  Everything else stays the same - they are incredibly handy with Rocket Jump and the free bank access whenever you want.  Having exalted prices regardless of faction can save you some coin, but not likely to last if you grind reps.

Blood Elves will be acquiring a passive Crit bonus of 1%.  Arcane Torrent will also remain in its current form of returning some mana.  Blood Elves actually become an attractive choice, and if the females get the same attention the Undead chicks did, look out - they're going to look amazing.  The males - well, they already have had some 'work' done to them. 

Undead are having nothing changed, but damn do those undead chicks look good.  The males look solid as well, and the Undead command the 'we should be Warlocks' vibe.

Taurens refuse to dabble in the dark arts which is a shame based on their 2% crit damage bonus they'll be receiving.  Warstomp would have been fun as hell, too.

All in all, the racials look to promote the following hierarchy...

Orc = Goblin = Blood Elf

Undead

Troll

That, at least, is my unofficial, best-educated guess.

• Like 2

I'm looking for Belf, Undead or Orc.

Depends how BF will interact with Dark Soul now I've lost Snapshots and how it will be a gain.

Belf because it's glamourous and 1% crit chance it's great.

And Undead because depending on how they buff the passive, will be a good dps increase.

So, that 3 races it's possible my main target.

Since I'm looking for a guild to achiev realm First, I'll go for the best DPS output, don't care how amazing the race are or how great it looks like.

Btw, Trolls for leveling are cool, more exp o/

Seems to me Orc will be the top race strictly DPS wise.

Troll won't be nearly as beneficial with snapshotting disappearing. 

Although, depending on what happens to demo, troll could still be handy with imp swarm.

Hey now Zag, I played a Worgen for months, and by comparison, my troll is sexy! Plus it has the added advantage of my not having to watch orc cast animations. lol. TBH, if I weren't troll, I'd be undead, but I didn't only pick troll b/c of racial Overpoweredness. I genuinely think they look cool.

Thanks everyone for the responses and especially to Zag for the awesome detail. You could have said Orc = Goblin = BE and I'd have been good biggrin.png

That's why these forums are awesome! Now to decide...go armor beauty (Orc) or physical beauty (BE).

Edited by mcbone

Trolls will maintain Berserking, but it will be dwindled down to 15%.  With snapshotting being removed, Berserking will have a much smaller effect on DPS.  I HIGHLY doubt most of the Trolls today are there because they like how they look/sound/dance/talk. 

Destro locks say what up because that immolate snapshotting is so crucial to burst <3

Oh and, if you seriously care about what race you are presently then you're playing the game wrong. Destro has <0.5% difference, demo is at best 1.2% difference between the max and the min. I'd list affliction but who cares about affliction yo :D.

My vote goes to undead because they get +10% dps for sexy as fuck warlock animations.

Edited by gahhda

Trolls got that bonus damage to bosses and Berserking with Imp Swarm for Demo - I think it had a much larger effect for Demo than the other two specs.  It did, however, put a large bonus on your initial burst as Aff - for Destro, it just GCD capped you unless you went M>C>H.

• Like 1

Trolls got that bonus damage to bosses and Berserking with Imp Swarm for Demo - I think it had a much larger effect for Demo than the other two specs.  It did, however, put a large bonus on your initial burst as Aff - for Destro, it just GCD capped you unless you went M>C>H.

Alright, whatever, you caught me. I forgot the exact number, turns out I was 1% short.

Troll - 427966

Orc - 421413

Worgen - 420670

Goblin - 420174

Undead - 418167

These numbers are old, obviously, but the point remains the same.

Point that it's futile to min/max them in the future because they're all being brought into line.  Right now, you can't argue that Troll wins out because of snapshotting.  Wasn't calling your math out - it just goes beyond the numbers.  I've been an Orc since Heroic Thok was no longer an issue.  Seemed silly to not bring OP DPS racial onboard with progression and revert back to what I cared about for other bosses.

• Like 1

Anecdotally. for Demonology in my gear Troll is an 11k dps increase over Orc, or 2.5%. 

It's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things and I'm SO glad they're removing snapshotting and balancing racials, but that 2.5% would always be in the back of my mind when trying to see how much I can push a spec.