FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nurfed

ret paladin advice please.

Hello guys can i ask how ret paladins are doing overall at pve wise compared other dps classes .? looking some fun mellee class to play and allso decent :)  i maining a hunter atm but want allso 1 mellee and rets seems fun but i hear a lot QQ about the class thatswhi asking here :)  i would love if u can share ur experience :)

and are we really only 4 set and rng  dependent to be ok?and ofc any other advice for beginner is welcome :9

Edited by Nurfed

Ret paladins currently have the short end of the stick compared to other melee classes, now that's not to say we don't shine on some fights, but we aren't in the best spot right now. I'd say if you want to be topping the charts consistently, Ret isn't for you, if you're looking for a class to push your personal limits in with the knowledge that you will have to try harder than other people, you should consider it. 

A lot of what a ret is, is burst, we have a decent burst, when use properly. Our off heals in pve and raid wide/personal defensives are useful, and gives us decent survivability; however, many classes can do what we do but better, and as bad as that sounds, it's the flat out truth. 

Yes when you get your 4pc T16 your dps will go up significantly, but a lot of ret's dps lies in proper rotation and cd use, along with weapons, which is where a large part of our damage comes from. We're only RNG dependent when you get into DP procs, which you shouldn't be using on every fight.

If you have any specific questions about how to play a ret or if you feel you could be doing better, you're more than welcome to ask here or in a pm I usually am quick about my replies depending on the time.

Well, all the theorycrafting has been done by IV and the class guides. But here's my 2 cents..

I've been OS ret for a few months now and I've really enjoyed it. Just like Auriel said if you're looking for top dps, you got the wrong class. Ret is fun for pushing your skills to the max and trying to out dps your own personal record. Here's some quick tips I've learned from the very little ret experience I have..

- Mastery is your best after reaching about 17k haste imo

- 4 pc will improve your DPS a lot

- Get to 17k haste asap. It'll help with lining up a lot of abilities as well as giving you an extra hammer of wrath

- I like SS as my talent because it doesn't lose any HP and gives me a nice comfy pillow bubble

- Being smart with burst damage.. if you know your'e killing a small HP target, you won't need a 60 sec INQ and can go with just a 20 sec one. Small things like that help give you an extra CS, Judge or HoW for a Templars virdict which will increase your DPS significantly

And last but not last.. you can then have an OS of holy or prot. Giving you 3 of the 4 main roles in the game. 

Gotta love being a paladin ;)

• Like 3

And last but not last.. you can then have an OS of holy or prot. Giving you 3 of the 4 main roles in the game. 

druid master class

Druids: "I am one with the earth."

Paladins: "Displease my god and I will make you one with this earth."

Have played Ret/Prot pala as main char for a long time (- now maining my dudu again tongue.png ).

The low dps is really a show-stopper atm but i'm looking forward to WOD and don't shed hope.

Edited by LobbyBoy

In my experience, which Fouton can vouch for, Ret paladin's aren't exactly in the best place currently, but they're also not in the worst. In single target fights without the 4 piece, Thok's Tail Tip, Evil Eye of Galakras and a Heroic Warforged weapon you're going to be scraping the bottom of the charts. You're never going to be competing with warlocks, warriors, mages, or even Shaman's for the top spots on the meter on a single target basis. But on fights like Immerseus, Sha of Pride (Defensive CD's), Galakras, Nazgrim (if setup properly), Spoils, and Thok (More Defensive CD's, yay) you're going to shine. 

Contrary to popular belief, Paladin's right now especially with the 4 piece and Divine Purpose on fights like Galakras and Spoils of Pandaria absolutely shine. Paladin's are an extremely high dps cleave based melee class. The fact that your 4 piece can not only proc off of Divine Purpose proc's but also proc Divine Purpose proc's and you can get a ridiculous string of Divine Storm spam in (all proc'ing your mastery: Hand of Light) can do a LOT of damage and pull you way ahead of other classes in cleave situations. Add in a good cloak proc, and bam you're at the top of the meter. 

But that's not what make Ret Paladin's worth bringing to a raid, which is subject to change for WoD sadly: it's our utility. Hand of Protection, Devotion Aura, taunts, and other goodies make up for our lack of single target DPS. If you learn the class properly, you can become a very important part of any core raid group, and also see your name creeping up the meter more than what people expect.

• Like 1