FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Calarahil

Choosing Balance a mistake?

I want to start by saying that I've only really played consistently one class over the span of me playing WoW. I took a break till recently from mop till a few months ago really to do mount hunting and some casual raiding. I have never played a dps before other then the few times I've had the opportunity to grab offspec gear and upon having a fullset being able to in some cases dps when the other tank did not have a DPS set. My primarly charactor is a Protection warrior. 

I leveled as feral kitty from 0-60. And to my suprise I really loved it. It felt like in a way protection warriors when we had 5 sunders only now you did something fun with that sunder whether ferocious roar to rip to the execute ability. But that being said my goal from the get go was to be a caster dps to play Balance. Having never really played a caster dps in my life I was excited at the prospect of taking on the challenge of dpsing as boomkin. Needless to say when I boosted my toon to 90 (I did it at 60 due to professions being maxed instantly for you) I grabbed the specialization of boomkin/balance so my gear was already set to boomkin. I've really strugged rotation wise to cd to everything. So here is where I'm at right now this is what I'm doing trying build up to something. Note: I'm trying not to burden groups I'm in with my inexperience with my spec.

1. Celestial Allignment to 75 to the left before lunar eclipse for free starfall

2. Starfall

3. Dots (Sunfire, Moonfire) Note: Would love to make a macro to do both these will work on it later.

4. Starsurge

5. Wrath to get eclipse

6. Starfall once at eclipse

7. Lunar Eclipse

7a. Retain dots

7b. Starfall if off CD

7c. Starsurge on CD

7d. Starfire until Solar Eclipse

8. Solar Eclipse

8a. Retain Dots

8b. Starsurge on CD

8c. Wrath till Lunar Eclipse.

Things I'm working on.

Optimal time to Incarnation. Should it be more of something I use off CD or should it be something I save for pivotal moments like a lust or a pull.

Point where I'll have on use trinkets if I didn't already have enough to work on.

Heart of the Wild to stay safe or go with Natures Vigil to do more to min max.

AE: Eclipse dot first on everything, then non eclipse upon dots on everything.

Not re applying dots over and over, or too soon. Also, pushing the opposite cast and not moving eclipse (terribad).

So with that being said. I feel like the work that went into feral kitty wasn't as stressful. I did a bit less and didn't have to worry about as much. I was curious based on my feelings on the matter do you feel like I've made a mistake going boomkin that maybe kitty was more suited for me?

Also a followup questions for boomkin.

1. Possible to setup a aura to show the abilities you can use. What I mean is above my heathbar on my ui to have 3 icons for eclipse and starsurge to the side and then it disappear and replaced with the others when I reach the other eclipse.

2. Optimal for me to track Starfall's 10 second use or not necessary?

I have a aura that tracks it now on a bar so I don't re apply to early.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for writing a book.

You can't just say it was a good or bad choice by going boomkin>feral as both have pros and cons.  That being said, some people just aren't meant to play a ranged character.

Do you feel like you are struggling with boomkin during boss fights or with overall class theory?  I ask because there is never a complete general response to a question such as "when is the optimal time for Incarnation?" for a boss fight since it depends on several factors.

If you feel like it is more the boss fights giving you trouble over the theory, feral might not be a good choice as there are many more intricacies as feral.

You can't just say it was a good or bad choice by going boomkin>feral as both have pros and cons.  That being said, some people just aren't meant to play a ranged character.

Do you feel like you are struggling with boomkin during boss fights or with overall class theory?  I ask because there is never a complete general response to a question such as "when is the optimal time for Incarnation?" for a boss fight since it depends on several factors.

If you feel like it is more the boss fights giving you trouble over the theory, feral might not be a good choice as there are many more intricacies as feral.

I feel like I'm struggling with class theory. When I'm in front of a dummy I can go at my pace but when I'm on a boss its different and moving really throws me off. I start to forget what eclipse I'm in or what direction I'm doing. With my protection warrior I just prioritize things and everything is instant cast so it's not really the same really. I guess I likened it to feral because like feral they're quite a few situation things that beyond the rotation make or break things sometimes for example; shield block/barrier, enrage, defensive cool downs, demo shout and thunder clap debuff. I feel like I'm having to watch more then my play style has been attuned for over time. That there are more crucial things for me to watch and me failing on one hurts me a ton. I'm not looking particulary to be a top world boomkin but I'd like to not be the laugh stock of a lfr raid because of my inability to produce. I'd like to be where I am comfort wise ability wise/cd wise with my warrior where I can not even bother looking at my bars and know exactly what I'm using/doing.

In terms of the incarnation question. On the guide on icy veins it just lists it in the opener and lust and whenever however with its CD is it better for me to save it for a moment or better to use it whenever.  So that is why I asked really. I would rather line up cd's upon availability then something like Lust just because you know that you'll get more constant dps rather then a burst of a small window.

Edited by Calarahil

I've only played Boomkin as an offspec.  I feel like I understand how to play it and how it works, though for me, I'm not practiced at DPS enough to do well and I feel as if my dps doesn't really matter unless I'm doing heroic content.

That said, here is what I know.

Force of Nature is slightly more Single Target DPS than Incarnation.  Inc will give you more burst, especially when you need to control when you need more damage.

Your rotation seems somewhat wrong, you mention Wrath to eclipse in step 5 then starfall when that will never really happen.  You may have meant to say Starfire.  Here is what I think is what the opener should be:

1. Pre-Astral Communion to 75 Lunar energy (to the left. i.e PRE LUNAR)
  2. Potion pre-pull
  3. Starfall pre-pull
  4. Starsurge with pull timer (100 Lunar, in eclispe)
  5. Starsurge on CD from here on out (to save step space)
  6. Incarnation/FoN (if talented) -> Sunfire -> Moonfire
  7. Starfall when the previous has 0 to low duration AND BEFORE exiting lunar
  8. Starfire to 0 lunar/solar
  9. Celestial Alignment - > Sun/Moonfire
  10. Starfall as last one falls off
  11. Starfire to 100 Solar
  12. Continue basic rotation.

This lets you get about 3 starfalls on the opener.

Use Heart of the Wild pretty much every fight.  NV really only useful for even more burst if needed.

For AoE you should do what you're doing for 4 or less targets.  Dots + Starsurge.

if you have 5 or more and you're NOT IN SOLAR, do the same as above until you're in solar THEN hurricane spam.

Lastly I would recommend Affdots for Boomkin, its pretty useful for know when to refresh dots. Just need to learn how to read it and whats worth refreshing.

This is my knowledge as stated before as an offspec DPS (I'm much better at healing and tanking in general) If there is someone else that comes along that is better at Balance PLEASE say something and correct any mistakes I have said.

I can't speak much to whether or not you will like the adjustment, but I can say that it will be a major adjustment. The other thing that I don't think gets said enough about Balance dps, is that it is balanced around best in slot gear which basically means that your ability to dps before you get the legendary cape/meta gem will always be lower than that of the "pure" dps classes. Not only that but stat weights vary wildly until you can start amassing 20k+ total bonus rating.

I personally love playing my boomkin, I just reached 552 ilvl, and again more unfortunate things, without the purified bindings of immersues, your dps will be low, without the multistrike/black blood trinket off of shamans/garrosh your dps will be low, until you get some set bonuses, your dps will be low. I've found that one of the biggest to keys to enjoying boomkin, is that patience is power. Its not a spec you can just jump into and pull big numbers.

The opener krazy put up is correct, with some slight nuance adjustments that I have learned as I geared up and got better at the rotation. Affdots is absolutely incredible for really any class that needs to maintain any refreshable dots. A rule of thumb that I use with Affdots is that I won't clip, refresh a dot before it falls off, the dots unless the new one will be >20% stronger. More nuance things if say sunfire falls off and you are 2 starfire casts from a solar eclipse I have found it to be better to wait until I enter the eclipse to put the dot back up because if I were to put it up before those two starfires, I would delay the entrance to my eclipse by ~5 seconds.

Cycle time is one of the most important aspects of balance dps. Gettings stuck pre-eclipse for too long, ie: casting wrath outside of solar/before lunar is the lowest part of your dps.

Just to reiterate: "Patience is power." The rotation is complicated but not so much so that its impossible to perfect. Blizzard did a terrible job, imo, with the scaling of gear this expansion so it may seem like you're doing poor quality dps when you compare yourself to people only 10-20 ilvl above you, but unfortunately the dps difference between 530 and 550 is sometimes as great as 150k. Boomkins specifically are super dependent on all their secondary stats which makes them seem to be low until suddenly they have a ton total secondary stat rating and they start pulling huge numbers.

Edited by Noccs

I've only played Boomkin as an offspec.  I feel like I understand how to play it and how it works, though for me, I'm not practiced at DPS enough to do well and I feel as if my dps doesn't really matter unless I'm doing heroic content.

That said, here is what I know.

Force of Nature is slightly more Single Target DPS than Incarnation.  Inc will give you more burst, especially when you need to control when you need more damage.

Your rotation seems somewhat wrong, you mention Wrath to eclipse in step 5 then starfall when that will never really happen.  You may have meant to say Starfire.  Here is what I think is what the opener should be:

1. Pre-Astral Communion to 75 Lunar energy (to the left. i.e PRE LUNAR)
  2. Potion pre-pull
  3. Starfall pre-pull
  4. Starsurge with pull timer (100 Lunar, in eclispe)
  5. Starsurge on CD from here on out (to save step space)
  6. Incarnation/FoN (if talented) -> Sunfire -> Moonfire
  7. Starfall when the previous has 0 to low duration AND BEFORE exiting lunar
  8. Starfire to 0 lunar/solar
  9. Celestial Alignment - > Sun/Moonfire
  10. Starfall as last one falls off
  11. Starfire to 100 Solar
  12. Continue basic rotation.

This lets you get about 3 starfalls on the opener.

Use Heart of the Wild pretty much every fight.  NV really only useful for even more burst if needed.

For AoE you should do what you're doing for 4 or less targets.  Dots + Starsurge.

if you have 5 or more and you're NOT IN SOLAR, do the same as above until you're in solar THEN hurricane spam.

Lastly I would recommend Affdots for Boomkin, its pretty useful for know when to refresh dots. Just need to learn how to read it and whats worth refreshing.

This is my knowledge as stated before as an offspec DPS (I'm much better at healing and tanking in general) If there is someone else that comes along that is better at Balance PLEASE say something and correct any mistakes I have said.

I did mean starfall on step 5. Reason for that is you get a free one upon reaching lunar eclipse. Ideally I'd like to hit that first because its the pattern the icy veins guide goes in although the starfall would change step wise its a use when you have it available thing.

Look at opening sequence

https://www.icy-veins.com/balance-druid-wow-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

It does make sense to be in a eclipse during aoe so that the dot does more which is why I had listed it. However, on the guide hurricane is completely left out which leads me to believe that because of the mana cost people may avoid it. Although I have used it a couple of times with Lunar Eclipse.

I did mean starfall on step 5. Reason for that is you get a free one upon reaching lunar eclipse. Ideally I'd like to hit that first because its the pattern the icy veins guide goes in although the starfall would change step wise its a use when you have it It does make sense to be in a eclipse during aoe so that the dot does more which is why I had listed it. However, on the guide hurricane is completely left out which leads me to believe that because of the mana cost people may avoid it. Although I have used it a couple of times with Lunar Eclipse.

It's not so much the mana cost, so much as it is that hurricane, even while eclipsed just doesn't do much damage. Granted it will do more damage than you trying to maintain one dot on 5+ targets, but boomkins aren't really known for their aoe. Currently their single target burst is what people notice the most.

I can't speak much to whether or not you will like the adjustment, but I can say that it will be a major adjustment. The other thing that I don't think gets said enough about Balance dps, is that it is balanced around best in slot gear which basically means that your ability to dps before you get the legendary cape/meta gem will always be lower than that of the "pure" dps classes. Not only that but stat weights vary wildly until you can start amassing 20k+ total bonus rating.

I personally love playing my boomkin, I just reached 552 ilvl, and again more unfortunate things, without the purified bindings of immersues, your dps will be low, without the multistrike/black blood trinket off of shamans/garrosh your dps will be low, until you get some set bonuses, your dps will be low. I've found that one of the biggest to keys to enjoying boomkin, is that patience is power. Its not a spec you can just jump into and pull big numbers.

The opener krazy put up is correct, with some slight nuance adjustments that I have learned as I geared up and got better at the rotation. Affdots is absolutely incredible for really any class that needs to maintain any refreshable dots. A rule of thumb that I use with Affdots is that I won't clip, refresh a dot before it falls off, the dots unless the new one will be >20% stronger. More nuance things if say sunfire falls off and you are 2 starfire casts from a solar eclipse I have found it to be better to wait until I enter the eclipse to put the dot back up because if I were to put it up before those two starfires, I would delay the entrance to my eclipse by ~5 seconds.

Cycle time is one of the most important aspects of balance dps. Gettings stuck pre-eclipse for too long, ie: casting wrath outside of solar/before lunar is the lowest part of your dps.

Just to reiterate: "Patience is power." The rotation is complicated but not so much so that its impossible to perfect. Blizzard did a terrible job, imo, with the scaling of gear this expansion so it may seem like you're doing poor quality dps when you compare yourself to people only 10-20 ilvl above you, but unfortunately the dps difference between 530 and 550 is sometimes as great as 150k. Boomkins specifically are super dependent on all their secondary stats which makes them seem to be low until suddenly they have a ton total secondary stat rating and they start pulling huge numbers.

Thanks for your post. Yea I gathered it would be a pretty major adjustment. I picked druid because of how versatile they are and I liked how unique and under played boomkins are I wanted to be different although to be fair not many people pick warrior tanks anymore from what I've seen.

Yea I'll probably get something like affdots. I use realui which uses raven which puts bars up listing things but they are fairly small. I was thinking weakaura's 2 getting some in the center of your screen aura's. I hate how I feel so dedicated to looking down and I know on my warrior being as mobile as prot warriors are that looking down would be the worst thing I could do.

Realui

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16068-RealUI8.html

And I agree I think patience in the end will be power. I'm just wanting so much to jump onto the next thing instantly that waiting for things is new which I know is probably more of a ranged deal.

It's not so much the mana cost, so much as it is that hurricane, even while eclipsed just doesn't do much damage. Granted it will do more damage than you trying to maintain one dot on 5+ targets, but boomkins aren't really known for their aoe. Currently their single target burst is what people notice the most.

Thanks for your response. Yea I was starting to think something like that was up whether cost or dmg. If it did a ton of dmg but cost a lot I'm sure people would use it more.

Hurricane will do more damage IMO than trying to keep up dots on that many targets.  Really AoE shouldn't last that long that you run out of mana (you get half your mana back when you enter an eclipse), and if it does you can just dot up the last few to get starsurges to push you back to an eclipse.

If all else fails, just use Astral Communion in combat.

And I say HURRICANE. Not Astral Storm.  From what I've read, Astral Storm does like no damage compared to Hurricane.  (so make sure you're in solar for AoE)

It may not seem like a big deal, but as you enter either eclipse make sure to cast your NON-eclipsed DoT first, and then your eclipsed DoT, so that your eclipsed DoT benefits from the stack of Lunar Shower

Also, I'm dumb and you were right.  Its Wrath not starfire/fall, I'm just so use to using Starsurge -> Starfire that I forgot what spell pushing me into lunar >.>

AMEN, Boomkins are horribly dependent on gear, especially trinkets and set bonuses in order to reach their full potential. Also with every new drop or piece, it's a hassle redoing nearly your entire gearing in order to try and waste as little haste/hit/spirit as possible. With that being said, when you finally DO get the gear, dear lord you will pull some numbers =)

Edited by Moonglen

Also, another small thing.  Try to use Celestial Alignment when you EXIT LUNAR.  Starfire does overall more DPS and when you pop CA you should just spam more starfire until you reach solar.

• Like 1

Also, another small thing.  Try to use Celestial Alignment when you EXIT LUNAR.  Starfire does overall more DPS and when you pop CA you should just spam more starfire until you reach solar.

AMEN, Boomkins are horribly dependent on gear, especially trinkets and set bonuses in order to reach their full potential. Also with every new drop or piece, it's a hassle redoing nearly your entire gearing in order to try and waste as little haste/hit/spirit as possible. With that being said, when you finally DO get the gear, dear lord you will pull some numbers =)

Thank you guys for all your input. I think for me its frustrating to not come out and bring down the house. I expect a lot of myself and I think I'm doing all that anyone could expect me to do. Come here read guides check out elitest jerks stuff watch youtube videos setup my ui so that I'm taking advantage of what I'm needing to take advantage of. My hope is that I won't be a burden to the raid groups I que for in the near future 1-2 months down the road. My boomkin will always be a second fiddle to my prot warrior but I don't want my alt to be that toon I could never really do anything with and be considered decent/good.

• Like 1

I've found that one of the biggest to keys to enjoying boomkin, is that patience is power. Its not a spec you can just jump into and pull big numbers.

OP, if your decision is Feral vs Boomkin, then just take this quote and plaster it on your wall. The simple fact is that good druid DPS comes only with patience and practice. If you want strong DPS with a minimum on time investment, you'd be better of rolling something else. I'd say boomkin is more accessible than feral (for strong DPS), but there's still a fair amount of practice. Now, assuming you're willing to put that practice in, the answer to which is better is, unfortunately, both. I have no doubts that I would wreck any comparably-geared boomkin on fights like Sha, Juggernaut, 3-tank shamans, Malkorok, etc. If it's not movement-heavy, I'll win. Of course, if it's movement heavy or lots of adds (Protectors, Galakras, Spoils, etc), I wouldn't bet a copper on being able to best my boomkin counterpart. In fact, this is why I've decided to go dual-spec for raid DPS. 

tl;dr: Both feral and boomkin require practice to play well. Both feral and boomkin are required to maximize your DPS across a wide variety of encounters.