FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Loving the new forums!

Hello Icy Veins! Have been following you guys on Twitter and Facebook for quite some time and am really looking forward to participating in forum posts here too. Keep up the excellent work!

Hello Redcross and welcome here! We are equally looking forward to your contributions :)

I have to say, fantastic job on the forums guys. I really like the forum software as well, it's very straight forward and easy to navigate. I have been looking for a new guild hosting site for our guild for some time now and I think this just might be the one Posted Image We have been using Guildomatic. I have been a moderator/admin on it for some time now and am really fed up with it.

Anyway good work! I also am "loving the new forums" Posted Image

I am still very impressed by the speed of these forums... the pages seem to load stupidly fast. Maybe this is due to the database still being in its infancy, and once we have 50k members it'll be groaning and creaking with a 1 minute pause between pages! .. but until then - it is an absolute pleasure to navigate here!

Thank you for the nice comments about the forums! One reason why the forums are fast is because they are hosted on a different server than the rest of the website. Also, all the static forum files (avatars, css, javascript) are served by the same server as the rest of the website, which is optimized for static content.

I think I'll manage to keep the forums going fast. Server load is like 0 and RAM usage is at 20%. If we ever get to the point where the RAM is full, it'll only mean that we need to order a new server with 48 or 64 Gigs of RAM (hopefully we will be able to afford it :P)

Today, I'll be working on adding a horizontal bar below the user bar (where you have the messaging, notification, profile, and sign out buttons). This new bar will feature three things: "Recent Posts", "Popular Posts", and a could tag. I'm hoping to finish tonight ;)

• Like 2

I'm done. What do you guys think?

I'll add recent posts and popular topics to the main page tomorrow. We'll also split the class discussion forums and add a PvP section ;)

Loving it, been playing with the tag cloud for the past 5 minutesPosted Image.

The one thing you could add is a toggle option just like with the other sections (the tooltip on the first one reads 'toggle %s') because it is quite big and for people who check the forum a lot the popular topic and tag cloud might not be as useful.

I'll add recent posts and popular topics to the main page tomorrow. We'll also split the class discussion forums and add a PvP section Posted Image

Sweet as. Cloud is very pretty...

Bacon bacon bacon. Lets get it to no 1...

• Like 1

I'll add recent posts and popular topics to the main page tomorrow. We'll also split the class discussion forums and add a PvP section Posted Image

Excellent job hat's off. Probably one of the best implementations of a tag cloud I've seen on a board.

If I may insert some suggestions (don't cringe).

I envision the forum growing immensely with that being said the last seven posts could be within the last hour and if I haven't visited the forum in a few days I'm missing out on quite a bit. I'd like to see the heading "Recent Posts" be a link to another page that will include a much broader list of the most recent posts. It would basically become it's own page something like www.icy-veins.com/forums/recent or you get the idea. That way the top of the page can still show the most recent 7 and then you can drill down on it if you want to see more detail. Just a thought, hate to keep piling things on you.

• Like 1

Also something minor just minor....but the times in the top section don't match the times on the actual forum posts (unless of course you are in the same time zone the top section is set to).

Omg! .. how awesome is that whole, "Popular Tags" thing? never seen anything like it before any any forums .. yet it seems so right to be there. Gonna tease it with my mouse for a while see what happens ;D

Edited by Redcross

Ok so has everyone else spent a few minutes playing with the popular tags?!

Not sure if its doable, but I think Off-Topic stuff shouldnt really show up in the popular topics if I'm honest. There a chance for people to chill out and have a bit of fun, but prefer the WoW based ones myself up there. After all if we really want to chill out in off-topic then it wont be hard to find our favourite (bacon) threads.

The last thing I want to see as the most popular are "What are you watching / listening / playing" etc. They're great threads, but not ones that new people to the forums / site will want to check out first and need a shortcut too.

But other than that great stuff, keep it going guys. This forum is definitely becoming one of my main-stay websites of late!

Edited by Peelyon

Anyone shares Peelyon's opinion on this? It is very easy to implement so I can change it in a second ;)

Also something minor just minor....but the times in the top section don't match the times on the actual forum posts (unless of course you are in the same time zone the top section is set to).

Indeed! I need to look into this.

Anyone shares Peelyon's opinion on this? It is very easy to implement so I can change it in a second Posted Image

I quite like it because it is funny, but I would keep an eye on it - if it ended up only being full of off-topic spam it could be a bit negative but as long as there is predominatly game led threads up there I think its solid.

What you could do is copy mmo-champion on this, and add a check box whether or not to show off-topic. (it's now a huge filter system, but it used to be just one check box for off-topic).

Thank you guys for the positive feedback on the new features!

Regarding the recent posts, it now says how long ago the post was made. IPB's documentation isn't that great and I couldn't figure out to take into members' timezone. In the end, I think that this is the best solution, as everyone (including those who are not logged in / registered) will see a proper time information.

I removed off topic stuff from the "Popular Topics" panel. Later on, I will add an option to let you guys choose whether to display off topic posts (in the way mmo-champion used to do it, as Madmonk suggested). For now, I kind of had enough of hacking into the forums :P

I can't take much credit for the tags as this is a plugin I found on Invision's website, which reminds me that I need to add a note about this in our acknowledgements page.