FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Destruction Warlock 5.4

"Currently, the talents are tuned in such a way that Posted ImageGrimoire of Service is the best Tier 5 talent and will be the default choice for Destruction Warlocks"

According to the simulationcraft's demon analysis, it seems, that sacrifice talent ha a best result.

Indeed, I've just obtained the same results myself. Things are changing fast and the guide has been updated to reflect that :)

Guest Brizzy

Just wanted to point out, it's not theory crafted or anything but your aoe section notes only to keep RoF and fire and brimstone an immolate. When working on multi mobs (7+) during encounters example, yor'sahj adds, and most trash that you can fit 2-3 fire and brimstone incinerates in with the rest of your rotation. So long as there is a decent ammount of mobs it will instantly replenish, or even fill one and some of the next burning ember allowing you to pretty much spam it.

I just wanted to point it out, it may or may not be optimal and it might be something totally wrong but just wanted to throw it out there. Great guides though, used em for all my alts for talent choices and glyphs. Very well laid out!

Just wanted to point out, it's not theory crafted or anything but your aoe section notes only to keep RoF and fire and brimstone an immolate. When working on multi mobs (7+) during encounters example, yor'sahj adds, and most trash that you can fit 2-3 fire and brimstone incinerates in with the rest of your rotation. So long as there is a decent ammount of mobs it will instantly replenish, or even fill one and some of the next burning ember allowing you to pretty much spam it.

I just wanted to point it out, it may or may not be optimal and it might be something totally wrong but just wanted to throw it out there. Great guides though, used em for all my alts for talent choices and glyphs. Very well laid out!

That's a great suggestion, thank you! I added it to the guide :)

Currently, we feel that there is no need for additional macros to play a Destruction Warlock to its full potential.

but you have no mouse over macros, only focus/target ones. so i disagree with this statement.

Indeed, I've just obtained the same results myself. Things are changing fast and the guide has been updated to reflect that Posted Image

http://elitistjerks....on/#post2136669

the numbers aren't for level 90, they are for level 85, thus why you'll see dps numbers like 55k as opposed to the 110k in the top chart.

http://www.simulatio...struction.html note the heroic t13 profile.

Edited by helheim

but you have no mouse over macros, only focus/target ones. so i disagree with this statement.

http://elitistjerks....on/#post2136669

the numbers aren't for level 90, they are for level 85, thus why you'll see dps numbers like 55k as opposed to the 110k in the top chart.

http://www.simulatio...struction.html note the heroic t13 profile.

What do you use mouseover macros for? Applying DoTs?

I'm aware that the simulation results we're talking about are for level 85. For now, everything we're giving in those guides, with the exception of Tier 6 talents, is meant for level 85. It's a kind of weird situation where we have to maintain our guides for level 85 while also preparing for level 90.

Guest Norrinir

Note that if you applied a very powerful Posted ImageImmolate (due to a temporary buff, trinket proc/use, etc.), it may be worth it to keep extending its duration with Posted ImageFel Flame, rather than simply refreshing (and thus overwriting the DoT with a less powerful version).

Actually, when Fel Flame extends the duration of your DoTs, their damage (alongside with crit chance and tick time) is recalculated. You might want to refresh a DoT when the temporary effect is about to fall off, giving you few extra seconds of the powerful version.

I just double checked to be sure and it seems to be the case on both live and beta.

Guest Guest

im playing live now on my warlock and im wondering why you believe crit>haste

Guest Morticia

im playing live now on my warlock and im wondering why you believe crit>haste

Crit over haste? That's crazy talk Posted Image

We get our stat priorities from Simulation Craft. According to this tool, Critical Strike Rating is always slightly more value than Haste Rating, regardless of your gear level. When I say slightly, it means between 5 and 10% (depending on your gear).

Guest Morticia

Dark Soul: Instability is your main DPS cooldown. It increases your critical strike chance by 30% for. Use it on cooldown and try to max out your Burning Embers before using it, so that you can cast Posted ImageChaos Bolt as many times while your critical strike chance is increased.

Since Chaos Bolt always critically strikes, this tip for Dark Soul: Instability is incorrect. I personally have DS:I on a macro to cast with one of my rotation spells as soon as it's available. One less thing to worry about. Great guide, thanks very much!

Dark Soul: Instability is your main DPS cooldown. It increases your critical strike chance by 30% for. Use it on cooldown and try to max out your Burning Embers before using it, so that you can cast Posted ImageChaos Bolt as many times while your critical strike chance is increased.

Since Chaos Bolt always critically strikes, this tip for Dark Soul: Instability is incorrect. I personally have DS:I on a macro to cast with one of my rotation spells as soon as it's available. One less thing to worry about. Great guide, thanks very much!

That tip is NOT incorrect. Critical Strike rating increases the damage of Chaos Bolt as it always crits, so maxing out your embers prior to DS coming off cooldown is a good way to do incredible burst damage. Chaos Bolt is best used when under the effects of crit-increasing enhancements such as trinkets and Dark Soul:Instability.

Crit over haste? That's crazy talk Posted Image

For Destruction, Crit is valued slightly above Haste. Hardly crazy talk when backed up by math =)

Guest duddits

Just curious because you mention to use mr. robot yet for destro it still says haste > crit

Guest Snoopypants

why dont you mention curse of elements once in any rotation?

Just curious because you mention to use mr. robot yet for destro it still says haste > crit

We are in the process of harmonizing our stat priorities with Ask Mr. Robot :)

why dont you mention curse of elements once in any rotation?

Curse of the Elements is optional and even if you don't have a Hunter or a Rogue in your group to provide the debuff, it only needs to be applied once every 5 minutes.

In any case, I added a mention of it in both the Demonology and the Destruction guides ;)

Guest Philll

Note that shadowburn refunds not just one ember but two.

Also, conflagrate can be casted twice now, weird but thats how it is.

Note that shadowburn refunds not just one ember but two.

Also, conflagrate can be casted twice now, weird but thats how it is.

I think that Shadowburn refunds two embers only when it is the killing blow. I may need to do more testing on that. Or if someone can confirm it, that'd be great.

Regarding Conflagrate, did you mean Incinerate? I mean, I don't see anything that would prevent someone from casting Conflagrate twice.

Guest Cletje

Hai Guys,

Can any of you explain to my why I need to use expertise. Can't find it on the site. And I'm really wondering because I'm hit capped and still every site says that I need to reforg in to Exp.

I just really don't get it. Can spells be parried or something like that. Because I'm still a caster and I'm not gonna stand next to a boss and hit him with my staff/dagger.

So if somebody could explain it to me then pls.

I think that Shadowburn refunds two embers only when it is the killing blow. I may need to do more testing on that. Or if someone can confirm it, that'd be great.

This is accurate. If Shadowburn is the killing blow, you get back 2 Embers. If the target dies during the 5 second debuff, you get back a single Ember. If the target is still alive when the debuff fades, you get 15% mana back.

Incidentally, I've also found that landing another Shadowburn while the first debuff is active doesn't deny you the 15% mana return from that first one, even though it refreshes the Shadowburn debuff on the target.

Can any of you explain to my why I need to use expertise. Can't find it on the site. And I'm really wondering because I'm hit capped and still every site says that I need to reforg in to Exp.

If you're hitcapped, you don't need expertise. For Expertise was changed in 5.0 to grant spell hit as well as dodge and parry negation. This was ultimately intended to make hit-capping a melee/spell hybrid DPS (for example, enhancement shaman) easier, as reaching both expertise and hit cap also ensures you're spell hit capped without any additional effort. A beneficial side-effect is that expertise can now be used, both for gems and reforging, as a way to add additional spell hit for casters. The real upshot of this is that non-spirit casts can now double-dip on hit on an item like spirit casters (ie. take an item with hit and another stat on it, and reforge the other stat into expertise, allowing you to reforge into hit even on items that already have hit on them).

Guest gravyspasm

A beneficial side-effect is that expertise can now be used, both for gems and reforging, as a way to add additional spell hit for casters.

Yes, it is quite delicious to now have another gem color available to get hit. Being able to add a red gem and get pure hit back (as opposed to a hybrid gem) is fantastic.

Guest Lackus

Forgot the Healthstone on the defensive cooldowns section, especially if you have the glyph.. Unending Resolve, plus Dark Regeneration, plus a glyphed Healthstone and you go from 'dead' to 'full' in a few seconds, that's specially good on arenas.

Guest Jesse

"Currently, the talents are tuned in such a way that Posted ImageGrimoire of Sacrifice is the best Tier 5 talent and will be the default choice for Destruction Warlock"

the numbers im gettin right now on my destr lock isn't showing this. does it depend on what demon you sacrifice? with grimoire of supremacy and using my fel imp im pulling about 5-6k more dps than with grimoire of sacrifice (sacrificing my imp or my fel hunter), is anyone else getting anything different?

Guest Javier

Can you explain why Grimoire of Sacrifice is better talent than Grimoire of Service and Grimoire of Supremacy for Destruction Warlocks ?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this