FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
arisoh

Moonkin help

Hello all,

This is my... probably 5th attempt at moonkin (frustration at my numbers have caused me to rage quit over and over), and I want to really give it the effort it deserves.

Few questions, mostly dungeon questions as I would like to do CMs eventually.

1) How do you guys not get kicked/ridiculed when gearing up in heroic dungeons? Those being AOE fests as they are, my numbers look ridiculous against AOE monsters like destro locks/ele shams and fury warriors. Do I just hurricane and pretend that meters dont exist?

2) How do you start a boss fight, if you dont have the time to do the optimal opener?

I know I'm going to get the whole "moonkins are gear dependent, numbers will suck unless bis or almost bis, blah blah", but if I'm trying to get into at least a flex, not many people will be patient with such low dps. 

That's it for now, since I'm at work lol.

1) Blizzard doesn't tune damage output for dungeons so you can't really compare yourself to other classes in them.  Even in CM's, specific specs/group comps will do better then others.  So yes, do your best to pretend that meters don't exist.

2) Trash is exact that, trash.  Set yourself up on the trash for the boss pull.  If you are one cast from lunar/solar, just spam wrath/starfire so you don't put yourself into an eclipse.

I'll go ahead and tell you that Boomkins kind of suck for CM's as is when compared to other ranged classes. But, if CM's is your goal, you'll want to just look for everything that has lots of sockets on it above everything else - there are a few gems out of lower tiers that don't require clearing SoO to get.

Paloro is exaclty right - a good skill as a PvE player is recognizing "okay, in ten seconds I'm going to have to stop what I'm doing to nuke something hard." For warlocks, it's saving embers. For mages, it's saving Missile Procs. For you, it's getting right up to an eclipse without hitting it.

I have to ask, are you actually gearing up in heroic dungeons at 90?  If so that is your issue, if your a 90 you should go to timeless isle and get timeless gear.  Then do LFR's to get to 520-530, then you work on flex.  

The main thing is the heroic dungeons people are typically only doing those to valor cap for the week so most of those people are really well geared.  When they see a person in there below 500ilvl they get kind of pissed off because it wastes their time to carry them, especially when that person should not even be doing the dungeon but rather going to timeless isle and then doing LFRs to gear up.

Right now heroic dungeons are kind of in a sad state,  they are pretty much useless for anything other than valor capping.   They should never have really been called heroic dungeons because there is nothing heroic about them, the challenge dungeons are a good idea but they are more about clear speed and trash skipping that actually challenging the players.  I would actually like to see some difficult dungeons on par with raids where you can't pull 10 groups at once, but I doubt we will see anything like that anytime soon.   

Edited by Maethor

I'm finally beginning to make sense of this spec, but gearing up is of course highly subject to RNG. My gear right now is a mix of LFR and grievous, so I don't have high hopes.

I am attaching an Iron Juggernaut LFR log. Please see if there are any changes in rotation I should make. I'm unhappy with my numbers, but with mostly Timeless Isle stuff that has no hit/spirit, I'm using up gem slots and reforging to reach the hit cap, and near the first haste cap of 5273, (if I'm not mistaken) and the rest crit.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7raw3xzpnjo47bbn/analyze/dd/source/

My toon is Mahimahne, and my gear is depressing.

For future reference, start using Warcraft Logs instead of WoL - they're much more powerful and present data in an easier to sift through manner.

97.6% uptime on both DoTs is really good. This is the first place most players struggle when playing a class with DoTs.

Your Starfall usage is also very solid - one for every Celestial Alignment, one for every Eclipse (Lunar) and one at the beginning. Try to start pre-casting. I know in LFR they don't always give you a pull timer, but if you're not already try to wait until there's ~2.5 seconds left on the pull timer. Hit Starfall then your Wrath so that Wrath is going off right as they're pulling or ever-so-slightly before (due to travel time).

You used CA and Inc 3 times each in a 7-minute fight. This is also really good. Not using CDs on CD is another place players tend to struggle at first. But, work on hitting CA right as you exit an eclipse - especially in your opener. In your opener you started by going into lunar, but then went into solar, triggered solar, and then hit CA. Hit CA as soon as you hit 0 energy.

Some of your Eclipse states are running rather long. About a minute into the fight you go into an almost 40-second long Eclipse (Solar). You cast Sunfire 8 times during that Eclipse. Why? You shouldn't run into a time in that fight where you're having to move that frequently. Not getting Shooting Stars hurt you in that time as well if you were spamming Sunfire due to movement, but that's RNG for you.

The biggest killer in your logs is having 55 Shooting Stars procs but only casting Starsurge 44 times in the fight. Don't cast something else when you have that proc and get back to it - you lost a minimum of 12 potential Starsurges (since the first is hardcast you had at least 56 available if the CD never naturally reset) to simply not using the proc before it proc'd again. This will happen from time to time if two consecutive ticks proc it within a split second, but this seems to be an area of weakness.

The 2p is not a huge boost in damage (the 4p is awesome though).  For the 12 extra item level on the chest with all that crit, I would switch to it.

Looking at a few logs, the 2pc appears to be about 2.5%-3.5% of your damage. It's not as important as your 4pc, but I don't know if 12 item levels is worth 3% on average. This requires looking into.