FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
indrek21

destro/affly warlocks

hello guys i wanna roll lock mainly for pve alltough i allso love pvp  but mainly pve smile.png can i ask how those specs are doing? i mainly like affliction more because the dots but heard it is much harder and not so good? so would love to get some advice from more experienced people :)really love the lock gameplay smile.png
and ofc if u learn class being 1 of top dps classes allso wont hurt :)but this isnt main reasoon for me to roll class. apologize my bad verbal smile.png I really hope to get some good advice and help smile.png But yeah affliction would be my main intrest ofc smile.png.

Destro is doing amazingly. Aff is fine on farm content, and on some progression fights, but you won't see the same kind of damage out of it. It's also really gear dependent, and sucks pretty badly as a fresh 90. This wears off later on, but it never fully catches up with destro. More than likely, you will have to, sometimes, play destro. (read: a lot of times) Aff is looking alright for WoD, and every lock spec is in a decent spot.

• Like 1

Destruction is the clear cut winner in terms of performance this patch, especially at lower gear levels. With higher gear, Affliction and Demonology do become a bit better, but generally, they won't compete because of the toolkit Destro has, and the nature of a lot of the fights in SoO. That being said, play what you like, unless you are in a progression group that needs you to play the best spec all the time, for the sake of progression.

• Like 1

atm been checking the worldoflogs it says affly is top 1 many fights. Destro seems litle booring for me and affly seems more the dark spec to have :D it just seems cooler but makes me think litle about it if it is bad at lower ilvls

Edited by indrek21

Don't look at logs to determine which spec is the best.  Affliction has the highest RNG swings of any of the specs.  It ranks #1 a lot because heroic raiders shorten fights which enhances Affliction's opener by giving less time for lower DPS to lower the average.  It also has the capabilities of providing insanely high Haunt uptime via RNG. 

Destruction is the preferred spec for many fights and is down-right required on many fights, especially 10 mans, to overcome a lot of encounter necessities.  It is the simplest spec to play to its ceiling and requires very little thought while playing allowing you to focus on encounters.

That said, if you insist on playing Affliction, do it because it's fun for you.  However, as a pure DPS, you should be proficient at all three specs and be prepared to shift specs based on your raid specifications.  Being an Affliction only Warlock is dreadfully lazy.

well i am willing to change specs but i allso what i would have fun . if affliction isnt as good destro is and people want me most of time go to destruction then i can just continue playing hunter and :) have fun there. dont know much other locks thatswhi was asking here :) but yeah i am hearing go destro go destro ): but just not intrested being destro.):

Destruction has the best toolkit out there - one that makes your hunter look like it has the utility of WW monk. Affliction's toolkit is less useful, but the DPS potential is astronomical when you play it well. It just can't do the things Destro can in terms of AoE, burst, execution, etc. You're never going to watch yourself drop a whole percent off a boss's health in one button as Affliction. Because of this, there are fights where Affliction is the wrong choice no matter how you look at it.

They both can work, and a good lock can play both and recognize when one is called for over the other.

It's different from your hunter where all three of your specs essentially do the same thing the same way. Give all three of our specs a good, earnest try before you decide you'd rather do something else. Read through the guides here and learn everything you can about them. Go out and watch the havoc you can wreak (pun intended). Then, if you like it, keep playing it. If not, we won't judge you for not being a warlock type of guy.

Affliction is extremely strong as long as the fight fits into its niche and as long as you have the gear and play it well. On fights with multiple targets (but not AoE) it is phenomenally strong, such as the Fallen Protectors. On shorter single target fights, such as Iron Juggernaut, particularly when your guild is geared to the teeth and thus beats the encounter much faster, Affliction is likely to beat Destro. A lot of Affliction's damage is front loaded, so the shorter the fight, the better it is likely to perform against Destro (but you also need pretty good gear for it to even do that).

I play Affli on about 50% of the fights in HC SoO.

Destro is definitely useful in more situations, particularly at lower gear levels, but Affli is very potent in the right situations.

• Like 1

Rock on dude, welcome to Icy-Veins!  Was looking to reach out with you soon for some theorycrafting fun.  Thinking of 'streaming' me running numbers through Excel due to the high number of people requesting to know how I theorycraft and how to bang numbers out. 

• Like 1

well i would love to go 0 to hero from scratch whit affliction :)ofc if there is in need to change spec for some fights i could too that but i think affly should run deecntly on all bosses smile.png  atleast i hope.

Well i think i am warlock kinda guy because i love all the dark animation thingie smile.png and i can honestly say the affliction is 1 of my favourite specs as much i am seen it and destro just isnt my prefered 1 ): i dont say it is bad but i just prefer affly more smile.png and thatswhi was question can affly doit all of it decently smile.png as main spec.But if i andurstand correctly there isnt no point to go affliction under 550 ilvl ? And hello Evrelia i would love to see your streams more smile.png

Edited by indrek21

Please proof-read your posts before you click "Post". Affliction doesn't always do decently on every fight. It's simply awful for a fight like Immerseus or Spoils.

It's actually really good on spoils. You can sustain huge burst just like on protectors due to soul swap.

Just need your tank to make sure there's always something alive.

well yeah thats i ment cant go decently whit affliction as  most people are telling only on some bosses and this makes me sad because it was my prefered spec. and allso needs wery high ilvl like 560+ to doo something at all ):

It's actually really good on spoils. You can sustain huge burst just like on protectors due to soul swap.

Just need your tank to make sure there's always something alive.

On Spoils, I was always on spark duty with all of the other warlocks. Even if we weren't, the speed we'd kill things with was random, so sometimes the tank would open 3 boxes and we'd melt them before he was even at the next box. Maybe I think too much about 10-mans or being in really poor 25-mans, but I can't see Affliction keeping up when there's that much to Shadowburn and such a high risk of suddenly losing your empowered DoTs

Ind, you can do Affliction. It's just not all season, all terrain spec like Destro (not that Destro is always top, but it's always well-suited for every encounter). Granted, there are people out there (not just Sparkuggz) that really do play every fight as Affliction, but they end up with a couple fights they just don't perform well on.

You don't need 560+ for Aff. You can hit the 9778 threshold and stack mastery way before that.

Please proof-read your posts before you click "Post". Affliction doesn't always do decently on every fight. It's simply awful for a fight like Immerseus or Spoils.

Destro is a lot better on Immerseus for sure, but Affliction can quite easily smash many other classes there, so it's not awful by  any means. (If we're talking about Heroic, that is). Just take MF and spam SoC as the adds spawn.

Rock on dude, welcome to Icy-Veins!  Was looking to reach out with you soon for some theorycrafting fun.  Thinking of 'streaming' me running numbers through Excel due to the high number of people requesting to know how I theorycraft and how to bang numbers out. 

I look forward to it!

Thank you guys :) for opening my eyes that affly isnt that bad as some talk :) i can go low ilvl to high ilvl and make something out of it :) i know it takes time to learning it :) like evrey other class. Evrelia i really hope to see your streams more :) now i am gonna  finish lvling my lock and start gearing :) affly it does seem to be much funner then hunter by far :P

Wow, the warlock moderators here are really becoming semi respectable.

Hahahah...well, it started with me.  I promoted Locky back when he was with his own guild.  Kaz was a part of our alt group on his Druid...

Now we all raid together.  There are 4 Icy-Veins moderators in my raid group now - all because of merit, not because they know me.  That said, I think semi-respectable is a compliment for us heathens.

Hahahah...well, it started with me.  I promoted Locky back when he was with his own guild.  Kaz was a part of our alt group on his Druid...

I'm also a druid moderator, not a warlock moderator. Warlock is my first love and was my main from day one of my WoW career way back in vanilla up until about two months ago. I'd been healing in the alt run, and we had an open spot for a healer. Zag asked me to do it, and so I did it.

That said, I think semi-respectable is a compliment for us heathens.

With the things you say in Mumble, absolutely a compliment.

Evrelia, would you mind posting what bosses you do as afflic and as destro, if possible?.

Nalar

Immerseus - Affli or Destro, usually Aff out of laziness

Protectors - Affli

Norushen - Affli

Sha - Affli

Galakras - Destro

Iron Jug - Affli

Dark Shaman - Affli

Nazgrim - Affli

Malkorok - Affli

Spoils - Destro

Thok - Affli

Siegecrafter - Affli or Destro, depends how much AoE we have

Klaxxi - Affli

Garrosh - Destro

Having said that I have HWF trinkets + weapon and very good gear.

Edited by Evrelia