Topic Details

Marksmanship Hunter 5.4

43 replies to this topic Started by Damien, Aug 25 2012 12:54 PM comments hunter marksmanship
- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

This thread is for comments about our Marksmanship Hunter guide.

Join us on IRC! | server: irc.quakenet.org | port: 6667 | channel: #icy-veins

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Kohari
  • Kohari
  • Vagrant
Couldn't help but notice this part... "At level 85, Draenei require 666 Hit Rating to reach the hit cap..." So your saying the Draenei are really the devil(or Eredar in this case)?

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
Well, to our defense, the actual value is 665.89705, it only becomes 666 after rounding it up :P

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

haraguroi
  • haraguroi
  • Vagrant
sorry to say but your talanet builds for hunters needs work. first tier is a take what ever you find more use for. tier two- situational again tier three-your highest survivability is actualy spirit bond. leveling to 90 on a pvp server here i'm the lower pop faction has shown that i can survive an insane amount longer with spirit bond then iron hawk. this was the same during ds befor the xpack hit. tier four- do to the lack of a internal cd an the high proc chance thrill can allow for a more stable rotation. an yes do to it lack of a internal cd it can proc off its self an has constantly for my hunter. tier five-less murder can do equal to or greater then 3600% pet damage over two minutes or greater then 1800% pet damage when its cd is one minute then your better option is actualy blink for your pet. its simple math realy for that teir plus the amount of focus saved/used between the three choices lynx-1 minute 30 second cd=1800% pet damage vs blink 30 second cd=600% pet damage(2400% over 1 minute 20 seconds) vs murder 60 focus with a 2 minute cd...thats alot of cobra/steady shots need to make that up. tier six- with the current gear glaive is your better option do to it not needing haste to do better damage. power shot an barage both benefit from haste an from rapid fire. i tested barage on a world boss with rapid fire up an it chanele was reduced by almost 1/3rd. over all though glaive is the better choice for a more solid dps rotation. one gcd vs 2-3 for over all durations depending on your haste rating. sorry if that seemed long but i wanted to make sure i had details for each tier.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

sorry to say but your talanet builds for hunters needs work.
first tier is a take what ever you find more use for.

tier two- situational again

tier three-your highest survivability is actualy spirit bond. leveling to 90 on a pvp server here i'm the lower pop faction has shown that i can survive an insane amount longer with spirit bond then iron hawk. this was the same during ds befor the xpack hit.

tier four- do to the lack of a internal cd an the high proc chance thrill can allow for a more stable rotation. an yes do to it lack of a internal cd it can proc off its self an has constantly for my hunter.

tier five-less murder can do equal to or greater then 3600% pet damage over two minutes or greater then 1800% pet damage when its cd is one minute then your better option is actualy blink for your pet. its simple math realy for that teir plus the amount of focus saved/used between the three choices
lynx-1 minute 30 second cd=1800% pet damage vs blink 30 second cd=600% pet damage(2400% over 1 minute 20 seconds) vs murder 60 focus with a 2 minute cd...thats alot of cobra/steady shots need to make that up.

tier six- with the current gear glaive is your better option do to it not needing haste to do better damage. power shot an barage both benefit from haste an from rapid fire. i tested barage on a world boss with rapid fire up an it chanele was reduced by almost 1/3rd. over all though glaive is the better choice for a more solid dps rotation. one gcd vs 2-3 for over all durations depending on your haste rating.

sorry if that seemed long but i wanted to make sure i had details for each tier.

You do not need to be sorry, but I disagree on several points.

Tier 1 and two are situational, which is something we explain in the talents page. The whole idea of situational for tier 1 is that it depends on what you want from the talents and what is going on in the encounter. So, we give the pros for each of the talents.

Tier 3 - leveling content is totally not what this guide is about. It's a raiding guide, so anecdotal evidence of how one talent is better while leveling is totally besides the point. Damage reduced is always better than damage healed, and this applies to Hunters in raids as well. One problem with Spirit Bond is that it keeps doing what it does even when you're at full health, at which point it's effectively wasted. Not to mention that its healing is pathetically slow. It's never going to save you in an emergency. No healer is going to think, in an intense raid-damage situation, "I won't heal him, I'll just let Spirit Bond take care of it". You'll get topped off and your Spirit Bond will be useless.

Tier 4 - sorry, even though Thrill of the Hunter is nice, it's just not better than Dire Beast. It's simply the way it is right now. And again, you need to look at the overall picture here. Yes, if you get a lucky string of 18 Thrill of the Hunt procs off of one another, then it's going to be amazing on that fight, but that's not how chances work.

Tier 5 - A Murder of Crows is the best DPS gain talent, mathematically proven. That's all there is to it. When this changes, we'll change the guide. One thing you aren't taking into account is the fact that Blink Strike, due to its low cooldown, means that you spend a lot more global cooldowns casting it than you do A Murder of Crows. Anyway, we purposefully stay away from theorycrafting here (even though we do it behind the scenes), to make the guides easier to read and understand.

Tier 6 - Glaive toss is better. I'm glad we agree :)

Sorry if I sound harsh, it's not my intention. I always appreciate it when people post comments, and I appreciate yours especially for being argumented.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

Guest_scott slater_*
  • Guest_scott slater_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Here is an old macro for hunters that will mark your target and send your pet at the same time if anyone would like to use it. thought you might be able to post it up. #showtooltip Hunters Mark /cast Hunter's Mark /PetAttack

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

ScottSlater
  • ScottSlater
  • Vagrant
Here is an old hunter macro its nothing special but thought you might like to post it to the guide, it will cast your hunters mark and send your pet at the same time. #showtooltip Hunters Mark /cast Hunter's Mark /PetAttack

Edited by ScottSlater, 23 November 2012 - 03:45 AM.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

Here is an old hunter macro its nothing special but thought you might like to post it to the guide, it will cast your hunters mark and send your pet at the same time.

#showtooltip Hunters Mark
/cast Hunter's Mark
/PetAttack

Fair enough, but really watch out about using this pre-pull to set your Hunter's Mark :)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Guest_Zajakel_*
  • Guest_Zajakel_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
where are the etheral merchants in the shrine of the seven stars?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

where are the etheral merchants in the shrine of the seven stars?

Get in from the middle (main) entrance, climb the staircase on to the right, and they're in the first room ;)

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Zajakel
  • Zajakel
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
familiar with these three but I am looking for someone who can sell me upgrades to my gear as described in the patch release

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Guest_Anamiss_*
  • Guest_Anamiss_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
He is right next to the transmog guy in Shrine, on his right hand side.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

familiar with these three but I am looking for someone who can sell me upgrades to my gear as described in the patch release

He should be in the same room as them :)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
On the Buffs, Debuffs and Useful Abilities page Misdirection should say "Threat redirection" instead of "Thread redirection".

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
This should be Ferocity.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • Guest_Mystarlitae_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
http://www.icy-veins...ority-reforging says the ToC is on the right instead of the left.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Tehstool
  • Tehstool
  • Marshal
Your BiS list is off. The BiS belt is the crit/haste one not the haste/exp one. Shadowgrip girdle is better than Ranger's Chain of Unending Summer.
Posted Image
Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

Your BiS list is off. The BiS belt is the crit/haste one not the haste/exp one. Shadowgrip girdle is better than Ranger's Chain of Unending Summer.

As as I asked in the Survival thread, what makes you say this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but both Simcraft and Mr. Robot place the Chain of Unending Summer as BiS, so I'm curious :)

Thanks.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Tehstool
  • Tehstool
  • Marshal

As as I asked in the Survival thread, what makes you say this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but both Simcraft and Mr. Robot place the Chain of Unending Summer as BiS, so I'm curious Posted Image

Thanks.

Comparing them Shows that the shadowgrip girdle has 80 more agility and 663 more crit than the ranger's chain which has 610 more expertise and 161 more haste than the shadowgrip girdle.

Now you can get crit from the expertise, but it's not guaranteed and as much and trading 80 agi for 161 haste is worth it. Using AMR's stat weights. So more agi and more crit because the expertise is just going to translate into haste/mastery and crit most likely.

80 agi for BM = 348.8
161 haste for BM = 225.4

80 agi for MM = 269.6
161 haste for MM = 212.52

80 agi for SV = 340.8
161 haste for SV = 193.2

Edited by Tehstool, 13 January 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Posted Image

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Tehstool
  • Tehstool
  • Marshal
With a Using wowreforge and changing the stats of my upgraded items accordingly:

Looking at my gear. Current stats:

Crit: 5918
Exp: 2570
Haste: 2054
Hit: 2552
Mastery: 2980

Adding the shadowgrip girdle gives me:
Crit: 6158
Exp: 2551
Haste: 2526
Hit: 2561
Mastery: 2375

and some agility

Now, changing from the shadowgrip girdle to the ranger's chain gives me:

Crit: 5620
Exp: 2550
Haste: 2453
Hit: 2550
Mastery: 3106
-80 agility

So if I were to get the ranger's chain instead of the shadowgrip girdle, I'd be trading
538 crit, 80 agility and 73 haste for 731 mastery. Not worth it.

Using my previous post for agi

Using AMR's stat weights
SV
Shadowgrip Girdle
538 * 1.26 = 677.88
73 * 1.2 = 87.6
80 agi for SV = 340.8

Ranger's Chain
731 * .73 = 533.63

MM
Shadowgrip Girdle
538 * 1.45 = 780.1
73 * 1.32 = 96.36
80 agi for MM = 269.6

Ranger's Chain
731* .92 = 672.52

BM
Shadowgrip Girdle
538 * 1.6 = 860.8
73 * 1.4 = 102.2
80 agi for BM = 348.8

Ranger's Chain
731*1.31 = 957.61

I don't even need to add those up to see that the shadowgrip girdle is better.

I'll do this with the BiS setup too. Just give me a minute Posted Image

Using Truefire as a starter template, he is almost in full BiS

http://us.battle.net...uefire/advanced

Using the bottle+BMAH bracers+516 elite ring

Stats with shadowgrip girdle
Crit: 7728
Exp: 2550
Haste: 2246
Hit: 2577
Mastery: 4194
80 agility

Stats with the Rangers chain

Crit: 7330
Exp: 2555
Haste: 2343
Hit: 2550
Mastery: 4625

Stat Difference
Crit: 398
Haste: -97
Mastery: -431
Agility: 80

The crit is way better than the mastery and we know that 80 agility is already better than 97 haste as it beat 161 haste from my previous post. Mastery also lost when it had a 193 stat gain on crit and it only came close with BM now it has a 33 stat gain.

Edited by Tehstool, 13 January 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Posted Image

Active Users

1 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users