Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azrogol

Raid Viability

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a question: I've been seeing on some other forums (MMO- Champion, battle.net) that Death Knights aren't that good anymore; is this true?

They have gone down hill a bit. For tanking their at the bottom end of the tanking pole. the dps spec are both currently at the lower end too. it does not mean dont play them or there not good. it just their time to take a turn at the bottom of the totem pole. this data is based on Raidbots.com

Edited by TIme987

DK tanks are one of the best for burst damage mitigation, and our overall damage taken per second is comparable to any other tank. In low damage situations we are the most likely to be able to 100% self heal. We also easily do more tank dps than anything except paladins and maybe brew masters (I haven't tanked with many, but I hear they do high dps). I did 550k dps on heroic Spoils once back in like December and was top 20 in the world for any class/spec for the fight. and about 5 others that were above me were DK tanks. There will be situations where other tanks are optimal, and there will be situations where DK tanks are the best. We can't solo tank heroic Thokk as easily as a paladin can, and we can't solo tank the blood rage on 25H Malkorok very easily. but I can live indefinitely without a healer on heroic Sha, Shamans, and Nazgrim.

DK DPS is in a similar situation right now. It looks bad in simcraft because it's one of the lowest in a patchwerk situation, but we can move and dps better than a lot of other classes. and DW frost pretty much has passive AoE with howling blast, so we really shine on fights like protectors, galakras, nazgrim, malkorok, spoils, seigecrafter. any fight where there is constantly other stuff for us to incidentally cleave and aoe. We can maintain 300k+ dps on a single target and add 100k more dps of aoe from stuff around us without even switching our rotation.

I'm a terrible dps. It's only my offspec, but I have 573+/- dps set. I typically only do about 275-300k because I'm bad. but I've been dps'ing heroic Seigecrafter lately as a fill in, and I'm usually top 5 dps in the raid because of the amount of incidental aoe I do to the bombs, and because I can move and dps as long as I can get back into melee range before I use all my frost/death runes to howling blast.  the only two players consistently beating me on bomb dps are two very well geared shamans that chain lightning for insane dps.

Fantastic!! I've been scouring multiple forums and it's a big back and forth debate, and it's hard to tell whether the detractors are actually bringing valid points, or that they're upset that they aren't in as good a place as say, ferals or locks. I'm glad I have something to look forward to!

Ok, so what about unholy? I have been gearing up mine and hear all the time that I'm "the only unholy PvE DK" they know. How do they stack up with frost? 

We have a UH DK in my 25H raid. He sits at the middle-bottom of the charts, but nothing to the point where people are carrying him. I just never see him take off like I do most of the DPS.

I honestly haven't seen an Unholy DK in a raid since ToT.

If you compare the top 50 ranks for Frost and Unholy on World of Logs they're actually fairly comparable among top ranks. but after the top 50 or so unholy ranks drop off much faster than frost does. It could be because there are far more DK's playing frost right now, or it could be because unholy is more difficult to play optimally.

Honestly I haven't tried unholy at all this expansion. I'm not a big fan of snapshoting.

I play a lock as my main with my alts being mage/boomy/ele shaman so unholy fits right in with what I'm used to :p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0