FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

Chaos Bolt MAXIMUM SCORE!

Yeah that settles it.

We were discussing the t14 4 set gear swap trick as a pre pull, then he went ahead and dropped this 5.2M bomb.

I know for certain my gear can allow me to break 5M with this trick, but a question we couldn't answer was would int/mastery in red be better than expertise/mastery.

I.e would 1 int > 2 crit for pure chaos bolt damage?

Yeah that settles it.

We were discussing the t14 4 set gear swap trick as a pre pull, then he went ahead and dropped this 5.2M bomb.

I know for certain my gear can allow me to break 5M with this trick, but a question we couldn't answer was would int/mastery in red be better than expertise/mastery.

What does the T14 set bonus have to do with anything?  Reducing the CD of Dark Soul by 40 seconds seems...inconsequential to Chaos Bolt...unless I'm missing something/something changed since I wrote the T14 analysis more than a year ago.

I think the argument to use Int/Mastery gems over Exp/Mastery gems comes from your gear.  Even with me reforging out of Hit everywhere possible, I was still over hit cap, but just BARELY.  So I swapped out one Expertise gem and replaced with Int.  All you're going to see when you swap Expertise gems out is a slight loss in secondary stats.  If you're truly trying to maximize Chaos Bolt alone, you'd want all Intellect/Mastery gems and to reforge out of Haste everywhere possible.  This makes timing CB to go off at a 10 stack of BBoY more difficult, but this is, in essence, how you'd absolutely maximize it. 

Int will be > than hit so going for the highest CB you would reforge out of hit and then hope that the big one hits no?

Under hit cap means more int/mastery/crit but a chance to miss so less hit and more stats will give a better CB if it hits.

For the purposes of a massive CB then being under hit cap will give more stats and a bigger CB but there is a chance you will miss.

Unless im missing the whole point of a massive CB vs raid viability lol.

Yeah that settles it.

EDIT: Meh, big error in crit scaling, redone

End of it, after mastery and hit, get your red sockets with exp/mastery as long as you gain crit and don´t over/undercap hit by too much. 

Plotted 2 functions, f(x) for changing crit to int, losing double that as crit and g(x), where you gain Crit for Int

(SP and Crit chance taken from a Mastery>Crit BIS profile)

f(x)=(2488+(2.5875*(106265+x)*1.24))*(1.3794+(x/253366)-(x/3000))

g(x)=(2488+(2.5875*(106265-x)*1.24))*(1.3794-(x/253366)+(x/3000))

g(x) provided higher results, therefore crit should be the aim when you ask wether exp/mastery or int/mastery

Edited by check0790

Everything scales past 100%.  100% is not some arbitrary ceiling that some interpret it as.  Percentages are just a proportional value to some set number.  Affliction Mastery goes well past 100% on your sheet - why would Chaos Bolt's scaling from Crit % be any different? 

Right now, with BiS gear, you can reforge from Hit to either Crit or Mastery and still easily achieve hit cap.  Crit and Mastery are the only two secondary stats that scale Chaos Bolt, so it's a relatively minor point to try to gain a small percentage.  Also, missing is a no-no...this was created to see the biggest CB in a raid environment.  There are always manipulations to be made to truly maximize it.  The original intention was to capture CBs during raid combat.

What does the T14 set bonus have to do with anything?  Reducing the CD of Dark Soul by 40 seconds seems...inconsequential to Chaos Bolt...unless I'm missing something/something changed since I wrote the T14 analysis more than a year ago. 

They redesigned it to increase your damage by 10% when DS is up.

Well, if that's what Spark used, then take his 5.2M and multiply by (.9/1) and get 4.68M.  Still curious to see if 5.0M can be done without some 'trick.'

They redesigned it to increase your damage by 10% when DS is up.

Correct.

With a gear swap macro such as:

/cast Dark Soul
/use Potion of the Jade Serpent
/equipset 4SETPOSTPULL
/cast Incinerate

You only lose like 2 seconds DS for destro, or more like 5 for Demo/Afflic.

Seeing as you snapshot huge dots at 10 stacks of BBoY for the latter 2, it really doesn't matter so much.

Currently need to decide whether 10% extra damage outweighs 0.8 ember chaos bolts, as 2pc T15 is also a possibility.

Everything scales past 100%.  100% is not some arbitrary ceiling that some interpret it as.  Percentages are just a proportional value to some set number.  Affliction Mastery goes well past 100% on your sheet - why would Chaos Bolt's scaling from Crit % be any different? 

I changed my post after you wrote your answer I assume, but yes, you´re right. The thought of Crit´s scaling beyond 100% came from a melee perspective, where you can cap on crit, but since crit is just a multiplier for CB, it doesn´t matter.

Edited by check0790

No problem, was actually fun to play around with the numbers. The functions are of course just for pure Chaos Bolt damage and work in a small bracket, meaning  all int procs are active for this and you got your crit through gear + 5% buff. 

BTW T14 is very neat, was able to get a 2.1M CB without any external buffs, imo not even CoE. Haste build, KTT.

Yeah, I played around with it on the Dummy. Maximum I can manage with this trick is 5.04M. WF trinkets really help push out that extra damage it seems, 10 man so don't think I'll be getting those until we move to 25 man. Still, can cross it off my list of things to do now :)

I'm thinking if you had fully maximised gear for Mastery > Crit and were a Orc, you could probably hit 5.5M. I think 6 is impossible, however.

Yeah, I played around with it on the Dummy. Maximum I can manage with this trick is 5.04M. WF trinkets really help push out that extra damage it seems, 10 man so don't think I'll be getting those until we move to 25 man. Still, can cross it off my list of things to do now smile.png

I'm thinking if you had fully maximised gear for Mastery > Crit and were a Orc, you could probably hit 5.5M. I think 6 is impossible, however.

Well, technically that 5.2m from Spark was a 6M once you add the GoSac ticks to it :D

You guys should PvP.  Hitting someone for only 142k with all procs live just makes you feel bad for not having another number and another comma in there.  I can't stand Affliction, so I make Chaos Bolt work.  I've seen one get COMPLETELY absorbed by a PW:S :(

• Like 1

Nah I don't PvP. Sitting there in 50 different slows and stuns just isn't my cup of tea.

I might see how it turns out in WoD, but I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if they deleted pvp from the game.

Oh, believe me, I hate it, too.  I can't wait til CC is cut down.  I only do Arenas to get gear to faceroll people in BGs.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is sweeter than one shotting some undergeared noob who then makes a toon on your server to tell you to quit hacking the game.  Once I'm full Prideful, it's time to grind the last few achievements left in the game for me!

Slight improvement for my high score - 3,803,410 on Immerseus, of all the things.  PBI was being a real prick last night not popping on pulls a lot.  My overall DPS was quite high on a lot of fights, but my opening CBs left something to be desired. 

Sidenote - My Imp is a beast.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JVjr1Q4zRaPY3ZmM#type=damage-done&fight=9

I didn't look through any of your CBs to check your cast.  I know you suffered PBI's wrath as well. 

Slight improvement for my high score - 3,803,410 on Immerseus, of all the things.  PBI was being a real prick last night not popping on pulls a lot.  My overall DPS was quite high on a lot of fights, but my opening CBs left something to be desired. 

Sidenote - My Imp is a beast.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JVjr1Q4zRaPY3ZmM#type=damage-done&fight=9

Doing some more GoSup testing?

Looks like you guys got about as far as us last night, after wiping for a half hour on Imm (Too many people dieing to debuff trying to keep up ;)),,, we cleared up to the bugs. :D

PBI was mad at me. I didn't return PBI's mothers phone call.

20:29:05.791

raid8.png Lockybálboa Chaos Bolt Siegecrafter Blackfuse *3743784*

Blackfuse, small gain over my old CB.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bQR6PpnMvZaGH7Lj#type=damage-done&source=15&ability=116858&view=events&fight=45