FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
kinztz

Crit vs Mastery

Once getting down to the choice of mastery and crit there seems to be a general consensus that without thok trinket mastery is the go to choice.  However with the Thok trinket people have been noting that crit becomes more powerful than mastery.  Although they seem to be very close in the race of which is stronger.

Now while Ive seen comments stating when crit becomes stronger with the Thok trinket in practice I have seen virtually no posts that suggest actually using crit over mastery, and going through quite a few higher end ret paladins armories I see almost nobody choosing to put crit above mastery.

Is anyone out there actually running a crit over mastery build with success?  Is mastery simply superior?   Curious for the opinion on those who have tried going both routes and what worked best.

Note: All of this is with the assumption that you are going for 40% haste and such first.

You could easily run crit over mastery, but since our mastery is pure holy damage and therefore ignores 100% armor, it'll do more damage in the end, and especially on aoe fights mastery is boss, but crit is still extremely viable and if you'd like to test it, though I have done some extensive testing of my own, please do and show us your logs, as I'm sure many others would be glad to see it!

• Like 1

I'd love to see the numbers of Crit vs. Mastery, but like Auriel said majority of the fights designed as they are we benefit way too much from our mastery. Since our mastery procs off of Divine Storm, and we get so many free proc's, plus swapping to Divine Storm as a HP Spender over TV in multi-target anyway, mastery just seems to be much more consistent than crit. Not going to say that you can't find a happy medium and find the perfect setup with crit/mastery with Thok's Tail Tip. But the general idea is with so many cleave fights, and so on that mastery is just way too good to place crit over, even with TTT.