Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mars

Fire Mage Combustion Tips Inferno Blast

4 posts in this topic

First off a compliment on the excellent fire mage guide, you have found the balance between making it easy enough for new mages and complex enough to give experienced mages a good read.

Still after reading 4.3.1 the part about tips for combustion, you left me with a lot of questions. When you think about fire mage mechanics it would make sense that inferno blast as a skill would give less ignite than a fireball or pyroblast crit. The thing what im interested in, did you sim the difference between the three combinations you name in your guide? Is it at the point where you would consider changing your rotation. For example opening with inferno blast in the hope of getting a quick fireball pyroblast crit?(probably not though) or a pure fireball > fireball > pyroblast rotation. Or would you always go for the fireball (crit) > inferno blast > pyroblast (crit)>fireball (crit) >combustion?

Thank you for the nice feedback Posted Image

To reply to your question, what I wrote in 4.3.1 is mostly speculative (although I wouldn't have written if I thought I'd be very far off). In Simulation Craft, you give the rotation as a priority list and I don't know how to specify something along the lines of "cast X if penultimate action was a crit with Y and antepenultimate action was a crit with Z". I actually don't think it's possible in Simulation Craft's current incarnation.

I wouldn't say that you should change your rotation for getting one of the combinations I mentioned. Compared to Cataclysm, you will get a lot more casts of Pyroblast and thanks to ability_mage_firestarter.jpgCritical Mass, you will also get a lot more critical strikes with it. What ultimately happens is that you can afford delaying Combustion for a few seconds, because, in the next 5 or 10 seconds, you will most likely get one of the combinations I mentioned. Remember that Inferno Blast as an 8-second cooldown, so you will not always be able to cast it to transform Heating Up into Pyroblast!, which opens the way for one of the other combinations.

As it's somewhat related to the topic I'll write here rather than start a new one.

Regarding the Stone Guard encounter:

We did it yesterday, beat it, and I was Fire on it (Invocation, rather than Incanter's, didn't feel comfortable enough predicting the best times to use the Ward with its 8second duration, and Living Bomb). Supposedly it's a Cleave-Warrior/Rogue etc. and Fire Mage's wet dream, 2 targets to damage all the time but ... I couldn't. The damn dogs stood too far apart for Inferno Blast to spread the dots (yes, while they were tanked by the same tank).

Very few times they aligned so that I could actually spread the dots, but that usually happened only after some "wiggling" of the tank.

Any tips for that? Don't wanna annoy our tanks too much with this, they had enough problems as it is with the various <Color>-Explosions etc. but I felt kinda useless the way it was. Actually considered switching to Frost, seeing as I couldn't benefit from Fire as I should have.

I'm going Fire, Frost rather than Fire, Arcane because they both focus around Crit or Haste respectively, with Mastery being the lowest priority, so I figure I'd be able to switch Crit and Haste reforges more easily, rather than completely switch around Mastery from lowest to highest priority. Haven't tried Frost in raids yet, so can't tell how good it is, did fine in heroics.

Edited by Panador

I read that in patch 5.1 combustion will only take into account ignite dots and no others... something tells me that will change the equation quite a bit.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nooksi
      Hello Community,
      I am an experienced Mage player since BC, however I am not satisfied with my mage Damage as it is at the moment:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZaknRwz7PCYJbvhT#fight=14&type=damage-done&source=5

Would you point out possible Improvements or grave mistakes visible in the logs?
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Nooksi/simple

Thank you very much!

• By Archimage
      Wanted to share this:

• By Fenodoree
      Hi everyone. I've a question, What spect should we roll for 7.1.5?
      So patch notes for 7.1.5 (November the 29th) are out.
      And I have 2 things to remark
      1.Strong buff to Arcane Mana cost for Arcane Blast has been reduced from 125% to 60% per Arcane Charge, since they are mana dependent. This does not apply It Was a tooltip bug.
      2.Almost all fire skills were buffed in damage, Fireball,Flame Blast, PyroBlast, Scorch, FlameStrike, CinderStorm,Meteor,Conflag and Phoenix's Flames. BUT Critical Mass % was reduced from 15% to 10% and Pyretic Incantation was nerfed from 5% per stack  to 2% per stack = 15%  less damage from consecutive Critical Strikes.
      I haven't done the math yet, but since Arcane has gotten a lot of buffs lately, and Fire is getting "balanced" (Since i've no idea how the patch will afect fire dps), and Frost Topping dps in rankings, and with no significant buffs or nerfs in the patch notes i suppose they will stay in tops.
      So if anyone would be so kind to enlighten me what spect you guys think it would be the best for 7.1.5 and why.

• By Archimage
      Macros for mage talents in 7.1 just putting it out there:   Frost: /use [talent:1/1] Ray of Frost; [talent:1/2] Lonely Winter; [talent:1/3] Bone Chilling
      /use [talent:2/1] Shimmer; [talent:2/2] Cauterize; [talent:2/3] Cold Snap
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Ice Nova; [talent:4/2] Frozen Touch; [talent:4/3] Splitting Ice
      /use [talent:5/1] Ice Floes; [talent:5/2] Ring of Frost; [talent:5/3] Ice Ward
      /use [talent:6/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Artic Gale
      /use [talent:7/1] Thermal Void; [talent:7/2] Glacial Spike; [talent:7/3] Comet Storm   Fire: /use [talent:1/1] Pyromaniac; [talent:1/2] Conflagration; [talent:1/3] Firestarter
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Blast Wave; [talent:4/2] Flame ON; [talent:4/3] Controlled Burn
      /use [talent:6/1] Living Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Flame Patch
      /use [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Cinderstorm; [talent:7/3] Meteor   Arcane: /use [talent:1/1] Arcane Familiar; [talent:1/2] Presence of Mind; [talent:1/3] Words of Power
      /use [talent:4/1] Supernova; [talent:4/2] Charged Up; [talent:4/3] Resonance
      /use [talent:6/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Erosion
      /use [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Quickening; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb     General Focus Macros: /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Polymorph
      /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Counterspell
    • By lybrewa
      Preface:
      - First post on Ice Veins - only recently started using the site but, omg, savior
      - Been playing Warcraft for about 4 years, off and on... still consider myself a newb
      - Boosted a blood elf mage to 100, thinking I'd only use it for farming
      - Got myself all three artifacts and up to 110 as frost

So, I got sick of the low dps that frost mage was providing in dungeons and was getting killed frequently. Others in my parties would get very frustrated with me. I didn't blame them.
      Today I switched to Fire mage. Of course, I'm not familiar with all the spells but WOW. I tried killing some withered in Suramar just to test it out and they demolished me. Ice Barrier was always my go-to as Frost and if my shield went down before I could recast, I'd cast Mirror Image to take the damage for me.
      (I HATE that mages have no in-combat heal)
      Looking for help. Tell me if you need me to post anything. Like I said; total newbie. Most acronyms frighten me and there are lots of terms I don't know, lol.
      I'm thisclose to finishing Pathfinder Part 1. Should probably stick to Frost until I get it, but I would like to go Fire after that. Preferably without dying.