FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kazistrasz

[Balance] Moonkin Info and Fixing Your DPS

One thing I keep wondering. Does the diminishing proc chance on shooting stars come after you apply 2 total dots of any kind, or after 1 each of sunfire and moonfire? Meaning, is it always ideal to keep 1 uneclipsed dot up when there are 4+ targets (assuming you aren't AEing)?

Thx again ^_^

One thing I keep wondering. Does the diminishing proc chance on shooting stars come after you apply 2 total dots of any kind, or after 1 each of sunfire and moonfire? Meaning, is it always ideal to keep 1 uneclipsed dot up when there are 4+ targets (assuming you aren't AEing)?

Thx again happy.png

Correct for max procs you would always want one uneclipse dot up. The DRs don't share between moonfire and sunfire. Sunfire DRs with itself and moonfire only DRs with itself. No crossover. 

Also in case anyone missed it the general rules for multidotting are: Eclipsed DoT on all targets > Shooting stars procs > uneclipsed dot

• Like 2

Hi Kazistrasz and Dolson. I'm a 570 boomkin/resto. I've been playing balance since the end of 5.3. I didn't really think that I knew it all but wow, I can see I have a lot of room for improvement. I'll be changing my weakauras and UI to focus more on Nature's Grace, Tempus Repit and SS procs. Just wanted to say I really appreciate this thread, thank you for sharing trade secrets hehe.

Edited by Athleticsol

Correct for max procs you would always want one uneclipse dot up. The DRs don't share between moonfire and sunfire. Sunfire DRs with itself and moonfire only DRs with itself. No crossover. 

Also in case anyone missed it the general rules for multidotting are: Eclipsed DoT on all targets > Shooting stars procs > uneclipsed dot

Why exactly does the eclipsed dot take priority over shooting stars in multi target scenarios? Is it just to avoid exiting eclipse? Or is it so when you enter the next eclipse your previous dots are all closer to expiring and you can repeat the rotation smoothly?

At what number of targets do you recommend going for only the eclipsed dot (and 1 uneclipsed of course)? I'm ilvl 576 or so, if that matters. Is the goal, depending on how many targets there are, to get up as many dots as you can before your nature's grace falls then push to the next eclipse and repeat the process? Jesus, if you say yes I will be so frikkin jacked. That's rather simple.

Be nice to have some kind of peace of mind, to know what I'm striving to perfect is actually the proper way. I finally got my cloak this week, and I'm doing ok on some fights I'm more comfortable with, but I still don't think I'm on the right track for fights like galakras or protectors.

Thx again dude, u rock ^_^

Hi Kazistrasz and Dolson. I'm a 570 boomkin/resto. I've been playing balance since the end of 5.3. I didn't really think that I knew it all but wow, I can see I have a lot of room for improvement. I'll be changing my weakauras and UI to focus more on Nature's Grace, Tempus Repit and SS procs. Just wanted to say I really appreciate this thread, thank you for sharing trade secrets hehe.

Ya, it's funny how simple the spec looks on the surface, and then the deeper you look it just gets crazy complicated. I should have picked mage for my reroll, which was an option, haha. I could probably play 2 mages at once and it would be less complicated.

I went moonkin cuzz I love being that utility freak who uses his full repertoire, but a lot of that utility is being stripped away (symbiosis, innervate, tranquility). I certainly don't dislike hard specs, just weird trying to master this all so I can make the cut in my guild, and then it gets a lot easier in WoD ><

Why exactly does the eclipsed dot take priority over shooting stars in multi target scenarios? Is it just to avoid exiting eclipse? Or is it so when you enter the next eclipse your previous dots are all closer to expiring and you can repeat the rotation smoothly?

At what number of targets do you recommend going for only the eclipsed dot (and 1 uneclipsed of course)? I'm ilvl 576 or so, if that matters. Is the goal, depending on how many targets there are, to get up as many dots as you can before your nature's grace falls then push to the next eclipse and repeat the process? Jesus, if you say yes I will be so frikkin jacked. That's rather simple.

Be nice to have some kind of peace of mind, to know what I'm striving to perfect is actually the proper way. I finally got my cloak this week, and I'm doing ok on some fights I'm more comfortable with, but I still don't think I'm on the right track for fights like galakras or protectors.

Thx again dude, u rock happy.png

Hey :) I'm not that good as Dolson or kazistrasz, but as you mentioned protectors - that fight is awesome for boomkins. However galakras is totaly not. 

At protectors fight you want to keep all 3 of them eclipse dotted and land SS procs on your current focus. At the opening when you can Incarnate+CA + procs multi dot all 3 protectors your dps just goes wild. I remember when i've got opening as good as ppl with 10~15 ilvl above me, that was the first time I felt that boomkin is awesome :) 

On galakras fight you will not be that usefull. Its just that owls aren't good at aoe'ing. What i found usefull is just simply dotting every possible add with eclipsed dot at the start of the wave, and land SS procs on any target with high health. Also you want to get ready to enter eclipse for next wave or even land some shrooms if you have spare time. 

Maybe i'm wrong at some point, but generaly that gives me decent dps :)

Thx again dude, u rock happy.png

Apologies for the slow response time.

Not entirely sure that I understand this question, so correct me if this response doesn't make sense.

Sunfire/moonfire proc starsurge, as you know, so you want to have as close to 100% uptime as possible to continue to proc starsurge and cycle back and forth between eclipses as fast as you can. Your eclipsed DoT is also your highest DPET (damage per execute time)(following starfall ofc use that as soon as it's up) provided that it ticks for most of its duration. So you want to avoid clipping/overwriting your moonfire/sunfire as much as possible to get the most of out it, while using the starsurge procs for their insane single target damage and eclipse energy generation. If you aren't getting any procs, its best to put up more uneclipsed DoTs until all targets are fully DoTed or a new proc came up. Your uneclipsed DoT on average will also do do more damage in its duration than a single starsurge, but you don't want to stall in one eclipse too long (because you want to buff all your DoT casts with Nature's grace) and you don't want the DoTs to fall off for a long time or you'll no longer be getting the starsurge procs.

-So for this question we're looking at a Galakras/bubble phase adds on Protectors situation. Yes, you're correct, but I still wouldn't do more than 10 (when are there more than 10 adds? idk) so you have some of that NG buff to help push you to the next eclipse. You could do more and get lucky enough to be able to chain SS procs all the way to the next eclipse, I'm only saying stop at 10 to be safe. Again, stressing that these adds have to live for the duration of your dots to make dotting them worth it.

Going to link a vid to show some of what I'm talking about: http://www.twitch.tv/snigelen/b/522662538

I found this to be pretty accurate in what you'll want to do. Just watch through the first bubble phase (protectors starts at 20min even) and hopefully that illustrates what I'm trying to cover.

And yeah, I could probably be over-explaining the hell out of this. Balance is fairly simple spec once you've played it a bit. Idk, I think best tip to tell people is probably clip your DoTs as little as possible. I know this is hard especially if people are playing with affdots or have developed a habit of refreshing the second they enter a fresh eclipse every time or something. 

Edited by Dolson
  • Like 2

Apologies for the slow response time.

Not entirely sure that I understand this question, so correct me if this response doesn't make sense.

Sunfire/moonfire proc starsurge, as you know, so you want to have as close to 100% uptime as possible to continue to proc starsurge and cycle back and forth between eclipses as fast as you can. Your eclipsed DoT is also your highest DPET (damage per execute time)(following starfall ofc use that as soon as it's up) provided that it ticks for most of its duration. So you want to avoid clipping/overwriting your moonfire/sunfire as much as possible to get the most of out it, while using the starsurge procs for their insane single target damage and eclipse energy generation. If you aren't getting any procs, its best to put up more uneclipsed DoTs until all targets are fully DoTed or a new proc came up. Your uneclipsed DoT on average will also do do more damage in its duration than a single starsurge, but you don't want to stall in one eclipse too long (because you want to buff all your DoT casts with Nature's grace) and you don't want the DoTs to fall off for a long time or you'll no longer be getting the starsurge procs.

-So for this question we're looking at a Galakras/bubble phase adds on Protectors situation. Yes, you're correct, but I still wouldn't do more than 10 (when are there more than 10 adds? idk) so you have some of that NG buff to help push you to the next eclipse. You could do more and get lucky enough to be able to chain SS procs all the way to the next eclipse, I'm only saying stop at 10 to be safe. Again, stressing that these adds have to live for the duration of your dots to make dotting them worth it.

Going to link a vid to show some of what I'm talking about: http://www.twitch.tv/snigelen/b/522662538

I found this to be pretty accurate in what you'll want to do. Just watch through the first bubble phase (protectors starts at 20min even) and hopefully that illustrates what I'm trying to cover.

And yeah, I could probably be over-explaining the hell out of this. Balance is fairly simple spec once you've played it a bit. Idk, I think best tip to tell people is probably clip your DoTs as little as possible. I know this is hard especially if people are playing with affdots or have developed a habit of refreshing the second they enter a fresh eclipse every time or something. 

Ya I knew the eclipsed dot was your highest DPET, but I assumed shooting stars was a higher priority due to the risk of overwriting procs while you put up dots. So I was asking why this priority flipped when multi-dotting. But now you have me wondering if I was doing it wrong in single target as well. Every guide out there is very vague, and simply emphasizes using shooting stars procs immediately. I assumed I had that right, since 95% dot up time seemed to be the norm (in single target)... I figured that missing 5% was mostly caused when you got a string of shooting stars procs when 1 dot had fallen off. Am I doing it wrong single target as well? Is the eclipsed dot always > shooting stars? /wrists

So would it be proper to break down multi-dotting this way? There is no magic number to skip uneclipsed dots. The goal in multi-dotting is to get as many total dots up as you can (prioritizing the eclipsed dot) during nature's grace, without dotting so much that the dots have long since fallen off when you get to your next eclipse, and without dotting so little that you get to the next eclipse too soon and need to clip your dots? Let me know if that sounds about right.

Thanks for that link, that's awesome. I had been trying to learn off of Angrybirds speed clear, but play styles are a little different in speed runs, and his UI makes me wanna kill myself.

You are right, it doesn't seem that bad once you get it. There are a ton of complexities behind the scenes, but there are still overall simple rules to follow that keep it manageable in reality.

And ya I learned pretty early on that haste in your dots was more important than int procs, so I never used affdots improperly. I mainly glance at the affdots after something crazy happened, and I lost track of shit. I can usually deduce from a glance what I was doing, and how to proceed. 

Aaaaaaanyways, please let me know if any of my deductions seem wrong. Or there are more details to add. Finally feeling like I'm on the right track, and I can stop worrying that I'm practicing the wrong methods. Really appreciate the info once again.

Gonna watch that vid now ^_^   Is it recent? It says 15 days, but 5 hours seems slow for method, my guild usually clears it in about 3 1/2.

• Like 1

<3 Snigelen

If only we could get him involved here, too.

• Like 1

Ya I knew the eclipsed dot was your highest DPET, but I assumed shooting stars was a higher priority due to the risk of overwriting procs while you put up dots. So I was asking why this priority flipped when multi-dotting. But now you have me wondering if I was doing it wrong in single target as well. Every guide out there is very vague, and simply emphasizes using shooting stars procs immediately. I assumed I had that right, since 95% dot up time seemed to be the norm (in single target)... I figured that missing 5% was mostly caused when you got a string of shooting stars procs when 1 dot had fallen off. Am I doing it wrong single target as well? Is the eclipsed dot always > shooting stars? /wrists

So would it be proper to break down multi-dotting this way? There is no magic number to skip uneclipsed dots. The goal in multi-dotting is to get as many total dots up as you can (prioritizing the eclipsed dot) during nature's grace, without dotting so much that the dots have long since fallen off when you get to your next eclipse, and without dotting so little that you get to the next eclipse too soon and need to clip your dots? Let me know if that sounds about right.

Thanks for that link, that's awesome. I had been trying to learn off of Angrybirds speed clear, but play styles are a little different in speed runs, and his UI makes me wanna kill myself.

You are right, it doesn't seem that bad once you get it. There are a ton of complexities behind the scenes, but there are still overall simple rules to follow that keep it manageable in reality.

And ya I learned pretty early on that haste in your dots was more important than int procs, so I never used affdots improperly. I mainly glance at the affdots after something crazy happened, and I lost track of shit. I can usually deduce from a glance what I was doing, and how to proceed. 

Aaaaaaanyways, please let me know if any of my deductions seem wrong. Or there are more details to add. Finally feeling like I'm on the right track, and I can stop worrying that I'm practicing the wrong methods. Really appreciate the info once again.

Gonna watch that vid now happy.png   Is it recent? It says 15 days, but 5 hours seems slow for method, my guild usually clears it in about 3 1/2.

-If the DoT is about to fall off, yes it's a higher priority. The apprx. 5% time w/o DoTs is caused by "waiting" or pushing a new eclipse. Just going to leave you with another video that my friend made to show someone how to single tar on their moonkin alt. http://www.twitch.tv/fountainx/c/3785040

-Yes. For example on protectors when it's just 3 bosses I'm able to get from a fresh lunar to partway through solar before needing to refresh though. This should be illustrated in the video link in my previous post. If NG is falling off or everything is dotted you need to push a fresh eclipse. 4-6 seconds, sometimes even less, is enough to push a fresh eclipse, don't feel like you need to clip those dots. You can see in video sometimes dots fall off for a few secs. yeah, it fairly recent, and he's been 575+ for months anyway so it's the best demonstration I could find.

Edited by Dolson
  • Like 1

-If the DoT is about to fall off, yes it's a higher priority. The apprx. 5% time w/o DoTs is caused by "waiting" or pushing a new eclipse. Just going to leave you with another video that my friend made to show someone how to single tar on their moonkin alt. http://www.twitch.tv/fountainx/c/3785040

-Yes. For example on protectors when it's just 3 bosses I'm able to get from a fresh lunar to partway through solar before needing to refresh though. This should be illustrated in the video link in my previous post. If NG is falling off or everything is dotted you need to push a fresh eclipse. 4-6 seconds, sometimes even less, is enough to push a fresh eclipse, don't feel like you need to clip those dots. You can see in video sometimes dots fall off for a few secs. yeah, it fairly recent, and he's been 575+ for months anyway so it's the best demonstration I could find.

Ya Fountain's video is where I learned to go for haste in your dots, and that affdots wasn't the right way to go. Always wondered what he was referring to about ToT, when he says "I shouldn't be canceling these". What was different in ToT era that made you cancel nukes more?

Ya that protector kill was what I had been trying on the target dummies the last couple days. Glad to see I'm doing it right. Now I just need to get someone to hit me with pugel sticks irl while I'm practicing it, to replicate a raid environment :P

Got any handy vids of Galakras? Pretty sure I'm equipped now to figure it out, but it's always nice to see others doing it. Do you think it's a higher priority between waves to get mushrooms down, or astral communion toward to within 1 tick of the next eclipse?  Assuming you don't have time for both.

Thx dude biggrin.png

• Like 1

No videos, ill look tonight for some if I find a good one i'll link. Besides all the normal pre-pull stuff you'll want to dot all the mobs, position yourself near the south tower so you're able to dot the grunt as well. Last 2-3 seconds of CA you will want to re-dot the bonecrusher and some other high health mob i forgot the name of. Astral communion to pre next eclipse > mushrooms. Same priorities here as with protectors, eclipse dot the entire wave, then the 1 uneclipse, but Galakras typically has far more adds, so you'll probably need to push a new eclipse far quicker. Just no time for lots of uneclipse dots. Always, always, always be aware of the grunt that's spawning and which side it's spawning on. Probably want to use SS procs into that/warshamans.

Another tip for Galakras is if you're adds are dying slow enough and  the waves overlapping a tiny bit and you don't have the time to astral communion between waves, you may want to keep the 1-2 remaining low hp mobs dotted and spam the incorrect nuke, while being one cast away from a new eclipse. Can't tell if you'll need to do this or not depends on your guild.

I've found that my 3minute CDs come up as  the first tower grp goes up/gets to the top and there's a lot of downtime waiting for the next wave there. If your situation is the same as mine and you're comfortable with towers I'd rocket boot/dash up there (constantly face wall to avoid falling off xD). If you're not comfortable doing towers I'd just hold off on doing that. The 2nd tower usually isn't much of a gain either.

Not entirely sure about the ToT comment. It was an arguable practice in ToT and still is. It was on 100% better to cancel in ToT with more than 1 target dotted. Atm it's too high risk imo and too much hassle. You probably already doing this, but one big thing to take away from the video unrelated to dotting is those points when you're at 20 energy remaining in solar. Wrath first, then use the starsurge proc if you have one. 1 more eclipsed cast and 1 less uneclipsed. Rarely will you have good enough rng to negate the gain from doing this. I do not bother with that for protectors, however, as you're likely to get more SS procs. Mostly talking about single tar here.

Edited by Dolson
  • Like 3

Hello again guys :)

For last couple of weeks I've been learning how to dot properly - I've started to track meta gem haste buff and my trinket procs. I can pretty much say it worked - I gained ~30 k dps (at least how I noticed). However I want to hear your opinion on  how to prioritize my procs. Currently I have immerseus and garrosh trinkets, so if properly used i get 12k int proc for 20 secs from immerseus and stacking int proc up to 22k~ from garrosh. I've been trying to combine my procs so i would get most of them, but it is not always possible. Immerseus proc is quite long so usually I can combine it with meta gem, but what about garrosh proc? Say I have 3 secs meta gem proc and my garrosh trinket starts stacking up, what should i do ? :)

I'd appreciate if  you could clarify things for me. Thanks in advance :)

I just spent a couple weeks playing with a heroic BBoY until I got my KTT this week.

Haste and uptime are still the most important parts of our DoTs. If you get a meta gem and BBoY proc at the same time, wait as long as you can to reapply your DoTs without losing uptime or NG so that you get the most damage out of BBoY without sacrificing the tick speed.

The only time I would try to wait for the 10-stack would be if the DoTs are going to run out soon (meaning I didn't just reapply them at 4 stacks) or I applied them significantly earlier in the buff and meta just proc'd with NG still up (e.g., applied at 4 stacks and meta procs at 8).

I never use it, and I've yet to find it in the logs of any top-end boomkin.

I noticed that in several posts you mention using Incarnation + CA but what about using Force of Nature?

As far as I've seen Force of Nature is usefull while you're low geared or leveling, as you're using it more like a cc than a dps boost. When you get yourself some gear Incarnation undoubtedly provides way more dps.

Is there any chance that you could take a look at my DPS? My burst was fairly strong (about 700k) but my sustained DPS was extremely lacking (finishing at about 250k on every fight).

This was my first time ever playing Boomkin in a raid setting so I have too little experience to diagnose these kinds of issues myself. My gear going in to the night was 3 pieces of Resto tier and the 2 piece for Balance. During our break directly before Malkorok I upgraded my weapon four times and changed Resto tier chest and gloves for Balance tier chest and gloves which seemed to help a little. My Armory has not yet updated but I still have the 10k Haste breakpoint.

Profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Omenien/simple and http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/zul-jin/Omenien

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6upp47p83mm3mmjz/details/29/ (My computer froze up on pull for Dark Shamans so my burst and sustained are significantly lower for it)

I have also had some issues with survivability. I'm used to Feral and Guardian where I would essentially stay at 100% for the entirety of the fight with minor dips that I could alleviate by just popping Barkskin.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Omenien

Edited by Omenien

I'm out in the sticks at the moment. Tomorrow night I'll look at it when I get back if no one does before then. You can do it yourself, though. Look at the first post in this thread, and you'll see what you're looking for. That's mostly what I'm going to do.

For survivability, Barkskin is always my first button if I'm going to take damage. With such a short CD we get to make good use of it. We also have Might of Ursoc for big things, though it momentarily stops our DPS. As boomkins, we also get some nice, big CDs out of Symbiosis, like a better version of Unending Resolve than warlocks themselves get or Cloak of Shadows. Also, make sure you have a Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch macro. Costs us a GCD but better to stop DPS for a global than the rest of the fight. Oh, and use your Healthstone.

Where Force of Nature is concerned, I would never take it for CC when we have other options in our CC/utility specific tiers of talents. For low gear levels, I would only worry about it if you're looking at CMs. But, boomkin isn't really good for those. If you're at LFR level even you're going to want Inc.

Okay, back from camping. As promised, I'll look through your logs real quick. In the future, please provide Warcraft Logs reports. WCL provides more information and better information in a more user-friendly manner.

frabz-brace-yourself-35b62d.jpg

I'll start with Malkorok, since it's the best single-target assessment I can give you.

DoT Uptimes: 87.9% and 78.2%. What? Did we forget Moonfire is a button? For a single target fight, you should see these 95% as a minimum.

Wild Mushroom: Detonate... hit 9 times? Gonna have to look in the Query Builder on this, but my guess is you're either trying to save it and use on adds or you're replanting. I'm not sure why you'd be doing either. Should see three hits on boss at the very start and nothing else. Should also see a Solar Beam on him on the pull, which I don't see. Looks like you used it about 1:30 into the fight to blow up on the boss with only one mushroom available, and at some point later you dropped three mushrooms to blow them up on him and some slimes. 

Let's look at your opener, because it's looking like we've got a lot of work to do:

Looks like you're briefly hitting Ancestral Communion, though I'm not at all sure what for since you didn't start the fight in an Eclipse, then Sunfire, then Celestial Alignment, which was late into the fight already your Incarnation had been active. I'm guessing you just weren't ready for the pull at all. You then hit Starfire, Moonfire, and Starsurge then another Starsurge on a proc, then Starfall. Then you began a Starfire but it wasn't finished (assuming knocked up into air) and used Moonfire on the slimes.

You know... we'll just come back to your opener. I'll look at what you did on IJ and hope you were ready for that pull.

Your Nature's Grace uptime was 56.4%, which is bad juju. You had a total of 7 Eclipses, not including Celestial Alignment, in a 3:56 fight. Your'e simply not cycling your Eclipses quickly at all. That uptime should be about 85% or so for a single target fight with the 10k haste cap. About 0:45 into the fight, you went into a Lunar Eclipse that you stayed in or 30.8 seconds, and then a Solar Eclipse you stayed in for 31.3 seconds. Your damage was the lowest in the raid (okay, you beat two of the healing priests and two healers that contributed no damage during that time window) as a result. Don't stay in an Eclipse that long!

In other news, you did at least get your pre-cast Starfall in, which is good, as a lot of boomkins forget to when I go through their logs.

31 Starsurges out of 42 Shooting Stars procs. Work on your DoTs and you'll get more procs for more Starsurges. Also, try to use more of of them.

Let's go back and look at Iron Juggernaut.

DoT uptimes are really low again. Work on this. You can't play a class with DoTs and ignore the DoTs.

Why do I see 15 hits from Wild Mushroom: Detonate on a single target fight?

Your opener:

Looks like pre-casting Inc and Starfall correctly, but then Wrath + Sunfire before activating CA and hitting Starfire then Moonfire?

Here's what I should be seeing:

Before everything: Drop 3 mushrooms and put yourself in Solar

Pre-pot (you're doing this)

Pre-pull Inc (you're doing this)

Pre-pull Starfall (you're doing this)

Celestial Alignment (None of that other stuff first)

Moonfire, Detonate, Solar Beam all at once (should be only Detonate use most of the time, remember both DoTs applied in CA)

Starsurge (Do NOT use Starfire before this)

Spam Starfire. Use Starsurge when it procs (should be spamming this more than Starfire given even mediocre RNG). Refresh Starfall when it expires.

Moonfire again right before everything (especially Tempus Repit) starts falling off to refresh at full power.

When CA is about to expire, if you can't fit the last Starfire in before it runs out, follow with Wrath.

Wrath/Starsurge until Lunar Eclipse, Starall when it runs out, otherwise carry on rest of fight as normal.

Things you need to work on:

DoT Uptime

Cycling Eclipses

Opener

Not using mushrooms so much

Okay, back from camping. As promised, I'll look through your logs real quick. In the future, please provide Warcraft Logs reports. WCL provides more information and better information in a more user-friendly manner.

-snip-

Thank you so much for your time, I really do appreciate it. I'll look at improving all of the things you've suggested, would it be alright if I posted logs again next week to check for improvement? I'll log myself so that I can put them on Warcraft Logs.

Thank you so much for your time, I really do appreciate it. I'll look at improving all of the things you've suggested, would it be alright if I posted logs again next week to check for improvement? I'll log myself so that I can put them on Warcraft Logs.

It's what we're here for! Always log fights yourself to ensure maximum accuracy. Start your own threat for this, that way you can track your progress from week to week in one nice little place all about you!

I've read this thread and quite a lot more, and most people offer to start with solar opener, while i'm really used to lunar. Is it worth to change that? Currently I get to pre-lunar before pull then:

pre-pull potion and starfal

starsurge

Incarnation

solar dot

lunar dot

cast starfire and dump ss procs putting in starfall after it's gone

when i reach 0 eclipse i use CA, and if I've done everything correctly i've got meta gem proc, 10 stacs of garrosh trinket and a proc from immerseus, so i put ultra-powered (^.^) dot on boss. 

I continue casting starfire and dumping my ss procs and try to refresh my dots on last CA second, while givind priority to recasting them ~4secs till end if I've got my gem proc and it's about to expire. then i continue as normal. Currently i've got 700~800k opener with 565 ilvl. I mostly use this because i feel comfy about it, but if solar is better I'd like to know why and how and if it's actually worth it - I'll retrain myself.

I've read this thread and quite a lot more, and most people offer to start with solar opener, while i'm really used to lunar. Is it worth to change that? Currently I get to pre-lunar before pull then:

pre-pull potion and starfal

starsurge

Incarnation

solar dot

lunar dot

cast starfire and dump ss procs putting in starfall after it's gone

when i reach 0 eclipse i use CA, and if I've done everything correctly i've got meta gem proc, 10 stacs of garrosh trinket and a proc from immerseus, so i put ultra-powered (^.^) dot on boss. 

I continue casting starfire and dumping my ss procs and try to refresh my dots on last CA second, while givind priority to recasting them ~4secs till end if I've got my gem proc and it's about to expire. then i continue as normal. Currently i've got 700~800k opener with 565 ilvl. I mostly use this because i feel comfy about it, but if solar is better I'd like to know why and how and if it's actually worth it - I'll retrain myself.

Open with a wrath instead of a starsurge and follow up the dots with the starsurge cast instead. Depending on the distance from the boss you maybe want to consider casting incarnation pre-pull to save a global, but if you're starting around 40yards that's not an issue.

If you wish to continue to open with lunar for single target (obviously never do this for multi-boss encounters), you should use berserking troll racial (too many people do not have a separate keybind for this) on the pull if you're a troll as well, this will line up nicely with your first CA dots and the last second of meta gem/toxic totem etc. as they are all 10second duration. It also allows you to use more of your lunar energy before needing to press CA and redot.

I did not include this in the initial set of "tips" as I felt that opening with CA and incarnation is simpler and widely used among the community and can usually be used effectively on all encounters with apprx. the same results. Opening in lunar, however, is arguably better, especially if you get a late Purified bindings of immerseus proc or if fight mechanics favor it.

Edited by Dolson

Looking for a little added help, I have read through this post a couple weeks ago and it helped a ton and i'm doing more dps as a result. I'm still having trouble keeping high uptimes on NG for a lot of the fights, and gear has been mean lately and i'm about 2% or more over hit cap atm not much i can do about it with current gear.

Recent logs (from tonight 6/6/14): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-r2506cmxjxtd5ptk/

Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Dragonshifty/advanced

any further help/tips are appreciated!