FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Uthul

A little help for a future fury warrior

Greetings everybody

It's been a while since I've began to raid in MoP as a warrior and I'd like to get some advices as to when I should go Fury.

Alot of people are telling me I should switch fury from arms at 32% crit unbuffed, when I get 2 reg 2h weapons, when I'm 553, etc. I don't know anymore what to use as standard for my fury start.

Heres my Character:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Uthul/advanced

On a raid dummy, as arms, unbuffed with no legendary cape, I can manage to get 175k dps .

On Fury though, I can only pull 150k dps (Note that the weapon I use for the fury test is the prideful greatsword 550), which is far from acceptable at my level.  (Sorry for no logs, Tuesday I'll try to post a malkorok log since i've done no encounter yet as fury)

The Rotation I use as a fury warrior is:

CS<HS<Storm<HS<RB<HS<BT<RB

Out of CS, I try to do anything to build up rage and get my raging blows procs, though I'm not sure I'm doing it right since I end up auto attacking for a second in there.

Is it my gear? My weapons? My rotation? I'd like some advices!

Thanks in advance,

Uthul

Edited by Uthul

Hey, Uthul.

As an Arms Warrior at heart, who made the switch to Fury because I knew the advantage, I hope I can answer your questions. Up front, I know @ragebarr will most likely post here with any points to be cleared up as well. He, by far, is the more experienced Fury Warrior.

First off, the point to switch from Arms to Fury mostly depends on your Crit %. Naturally this comes around a certain item level equipped. Personally I made the switch around 550 item level. Even then, I was skeptical, but once Xal'atoh, Desecrated Image of Gorehowl dropped that pretty much summed up the time to switch, lol. At this item level your Crit % may be a little low and your output may suffer (a little) but I used this time to get used to the rotation and continue to collect gear.

As far as the rotation goes, you have two major events to manage: inside a Colossus Smash window and outside of this window.

Inside the window (When the debuff is applied) I follow these points:

• First off, before popping CS, I make sure I'm enraged. 90% of the time this is the case so I don't have to worry about it. If I am not enraged, I'll wait one GCD for Bloodthirst to make sure I'm enraged.
  • I also line up any cooldowns that's available, obviously: Heroism, Potion of Mogu Power, Recklessness, Skull Banner, etc.
  • The priority / rotation that I try and maintain in this window is Storm Bolt -> Heroic Strike -> Raging Blow -> Heroic Strike -> Raging Blow -> Heroic Strike -> Berserker Rage -> Raging Blow.

This rotation may be disputed but this, imo, is the most DPS you can get out of the 6 second window. The reason for using Berserker Rage is to not only refresh your Enrage buff but it'll allow for that 3rd Raging Blow within the window. This goes against the use of simply allowing Berserker Rage to fill in those gaps that you're not enraged. At certain Crit %, you won't have many of those gaps so I feel it best to use as described.

Finally, the use of Storm Bolt within every Colossus Smash window is capable by having, at least, Evil Eye of Galakras (Flex version - which you have), but preferably the normal or above version. I'm personally not sure if the LFR version reduces the CD effectively enough to maintain a Storm Bolt each time.

Outside the window (When the debuff is not applied) I follow these points:

• This is the time I really pool my rage for the situation above (the burst mode, if you will).
  • I always maintain 1 proc of Raging Blow. If I get a 2nd, I use it as a filler.
  • The priority I maintain is a simple 1:2 rotation - 1 Bloodthirst to 2 fillers. Fillers are based on priority: Raging Blow (only at 2 stacks) -> Wild Strike -> Heroic Strike (if I'm only about to cap my rage for whatever reason).
  • If Bloodsurge procs I use all three as "one" filler.

-------------------------------------------

At this point, this is all I can offer for advice. There are further details (such as your Tier 4 talent and when to use that) but, for generics, this is it. I hope it helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I really thank you for this piece of advice, I really didn't know what to do outside of CS. Icy-veins explains it, sure, but I needed something more practical. There's too many "what if, and, or, considering the fact that, etc." in that guide to offer a simple rotation.

I will work on that until Mister Ragebarr answers it, thanks!

Another question on the spot: Is simcraft reliable? it says, with my gear on a raiddummy I should be able to pull 208k dps as fury when, as I said, i'm only pulling 150k-ish dps :S

Edited by Uthul

In this expansion you can pretty much make the change to fury with just as flex gear and nothing else tbh.

The people that told you about 32% unbuffed crit are correct. Your weapons are also ok.

Ilvl is generally irrelevant for the spec though.You generally dont need higher ilvl gear but BIS gear.The thing you need to realise about the fury is how the spec actually works.

As fury, your mastery buffs your enrage status to increase your overall dmg done by a percentage(in your occasion by 11%).the more your enrage status is up the more your dmg is increased.

There are 3 occasions that will make your enrage status to happen.

1) cs will crit.

2) bloodthirst will crit. (In addition to that bloodthirst has double your normal crit chance to be a crit hit)

3) you will cast your berserker rage skill (30sec cd).

In addition to that every time you are going to be enraged you will be granted with one use of raging blow (this ability only gets available when u get enraged) which is the best ratio dmg/rage ability you have.

Now as you can see from all the above facts you need to focus on specific gear and rotations. First of all your berserk rage has a 30sec cd and your cs only a 20sec cd. those cds are fixed and unchanged by any means.Therefore u wont be able to use BR and CS at the same time during the fight.So basically you only need to save BR to use it during a cs window when you will not be enraged by the previous 2 situations (BT non crit, CS non crit).

Since BT crits enrage you and bt grants you rage, you WANT to cast BT every available cd.EVERY AVAILABLE ONE.not even miss one.

THat said during a cs window your rotation would ideally be like this

bloodthirst>cs+hrcs strike(after cs is applied on the target)>stormbolt+hrc strike>raging blow+hrc strike>bloodthirst+hrc strik>raging blow+hrc strike>raging blow+hrc strike.

Outside of cs window u generally want to cast bt on cd again(even if u have free Bloodsurge procs that will expire let them expire but cast bt on cd), spend one raging blow charge every time u have two of them, check the rotation on this forums for more into-depth analysis.You should also dealy your cs till stormbolt is available( you will generally wait a few seconds in loing fights till u get hrc version of eeog)

Now since your str doesnt rly provide much to the fury spec you rly want to aim for the correct gear to improve your dps.

you generally will want to follow this list.

1)Best ilvl weapon ( you generally should get the best possible ilvl weapon and use it regardless of secondary stats)

2) best version of EEOG ( you want evil eye of galakras best version)

3) best version of Thoks tail tip (best version you can get).You only want those trinkets. it doesnt matter if u have lfr version of

TTT and hrc version of FFC(unless you are hitting 3+ targets->ie trash). Therefore go and vendor your current trinket FFC and get a new one.Even the trinkets from tot will  do better than this. Ok dont vendor it but you generally get the idea

4) you need the 2set piece bonus ALWAYS and ONLY the 2set bonus. You should aim getting that from head+gloves (legs are ok as well)

5) Since your cs and bt crits enrage you, you generally need gear with crit.In addition bt has double your normal crit chance to be a crit hit.In addition bt has a smaller cd that your enrage status duration.That means that if theoritically  you could have 50% crit chance and you would use bt on every available cd during the encounter, you would be enraged for 100% the encounter. SO that means that when u want to go for gear you will only want to equip gear that only has crit in it. Additionally you want mastery as this also increases the amount of the dmg you do while enraged.At higher crit chance mastery starts to get ~ to crit.Haste is the worse stat u can get on gear, so you should avoid using haste stat gear (except higher ilvl weapons ofc)

so generally your armory should be pretty much look like that:

head - thok (set)

neck - malkorok

shoulders - garosh

chest - dark shamans

wrist - norushen (iron jugger is ok as well)

hands - nazgrim (set)

belt - crafted/(dark shamans hrc version)

legs - malkorok

boots - sha/dark shamans

ring1 - protectors

ring2 - spoils

trinket - eeog

trinket2 - TTT

flex versions of those gear will generally perform better than normal non bis, so you should downgrade your current neck/shoulders/wrist/ring equipped to the flex versions mentioned above.

In addition as your crit+mastery rating perform better than strength in fury spec u want to gem for exp/crit and not str/crit.

You can use askmrrobot for your gems/reforges

You should wait for ragebarr response to your post as well, as he is one of the most experienced fury wars in the game atm

In this expansion you can pretty much make the change to fury with just as flex gear and nothing else tbh.

The people that told you about 32% unbuffed crit are correct. Your weapons are also ok.

Ilvl is generally irrelevant for the spec though.You generally dont need higher ilvl gear but BIS gear.The thing you need to realise about the fury is how the spec actually works.

As fury, your mastery buffs your enrage status to increase your overall dmg done by a percentage(in your occasion by 11%).the more your enrage status is up the more your dmg is increased.

There are 3 occasions that will make your enrage status to happen.

1) cs will crit.

2) bloodthirst will crit. (In addition to that bloodthirst has double your normal crit chance to be a crit hit)

3) you will cast your berserker rage skill (30sec cd).

In addition to that every time you are going to be enraged you will be granted with one use of raging blow (this ability only gets available when u get enraged) which is the best ratio dmg/rage ability you have.

Now as you can see from all the above facts you need to focus on specific gear and rotations. First of all your berserk rage has a 30sec cd and your cs only a 20sec cd. those cds are fixed and unchanged by any means.Therefore u wont be able to use BR and CS at the same time during the fight.So basically you only need to save BR to use it during a cs window when you will not be enraged by the previous 2 situations (BT non crit, CS non crit).

Since BT crits enrage you and bt grants you rage, you WANT to cast BT every available cd.EVERY AVAILABLE ONE.not even miss one.

THat said during a cs window your rotation would ideally be like this

bloodthirst>cs+hrcs strike(after cs is applied on the target)>stormbolt+hrc strike>raging blow+hrc strike>bloodthirst+hrc strik>raging blow+hrc strike>raging blow+hrc strike.

Outside of cs window u generally want to cast bt on cd again(even if u have free Bloodsurge procs that will expire let them expire but cast bt on cd), spend one raging blow charge every time u have two of them, check the rotation on this forums for more into-depth analysis.You should also dealy your cs till stormbolt is available( you will generally wait a few seconds in loing fights till u get hrc version of eeog)

Now since your str doesnt rly provide much to the fury spec you rly want to aim for the correct gear to improve your dps.

you generally will want to follow this list.

1)Best ilvl weapon ( you generally should get the best possible ilvl weapon and use it regardless of secondary stats)

2) best version of EEOG ( you want evil eye of galakras best version)

3) best version of Thoks tail tip (best version you can get).You only want those trinkets. it doesnt matter if u have lfr version of

TTT and hrc version of FFC(unless you are hitting 3+ targets->ie trash). Therefore go and vendor your current trinket FFC and get a new one.Even the trinkets from tot will  do better than this. Ok dont vendor it but you generally get the idea

4) you need the 2set piece bonus ALWAYS and ONLY the 2set bonus. You should aim getting that from head+gloves (legs are ok as well)

5) Since your cs and bt crits enrage you, you generally need gear with crit.In addition bt has double your normal crit chance to be a crit hit.In addition bt has a smaller cd that your enrage status duration.That means that if theoritically  you could have 50% crit chance and you would use bt on every available cd during the encounter, you would be enraged for 100% the encounter. SO that means that when u want to go for gear you will only want to equip gear that only has crit in it. Additionally you want mastery as this also increases the amount of the dmg you do while enraged.At higher crit chance mastery starts to get ~ to crit.Haste is the worse stat u can get on gear, so you should avoid using haste stat gear (except higher ilvl weapons ofc)

so generally your armory should be pretty much look like that:

head - thok (set)

neck - malkorok

shoulders - garosh

chest - dark shamans

wrist - norushen (iron jugger is ok as well)

hands - nazgrim (set)

belt - crafted/(dark shamans hrc version)

legs - malkorok

boots - sha/dark shamans

ring1 - protectors

ring2 - spoils

trinket - eeog

trinket2 - TTT

flex versions of those gear will generally perform better than normal non bis, so you should downgrade your current neck/shoulders/wrist/ring equipped to the flex versions mentioned above.

In addition as your crit+mastery rating perform better than strength in fury spec u want to gem for exp/crit and not str/crit.

You can use askmrrobot for your gems/reforges

You should wait for ragebarr response to your post as well, as he is one of the most experienced fury wars in the game atm

Thanks for that awesome gearing guide!

But if I'm already exp cap, shouldn't I just go for yellow Crit gem?

Thanks for that awesome gearing guide!

But if I'm already exp cap, shouldn't I just go for yellow Crit gem?

Mastery and crit are more worth per 2 Points than 1 Point of Str and you get a doubled amount of secondaries from your gems. If you now gem expertise you wouldn´t need to reforge out of mastery for expertise etc. You ´re boosting your secondary stats pool by this strategy.

Of course you should make sure that the socket bonus is worth it, so let´s say you get atleast 61 STR per gem that is not a pure crit gem. Example:

The crit mastery plates from Ordos(Magmaplates of Jian Wu Xi Feng) have 1 yellow and 1 green socket and a socket boni of 120 str. So for losing 160 crit in taking a green gem, you gain 120 str and 160 hit, which should be in most scenarios a gain.

Hey, sorry for the super late answer. I've been overwhelmed by my finals in the past couple days.

Back on to the subject, however, the 3 answers you got pretty much summed up what there is to know.

One thing I would add to Sajakain's point, which I'm not just was clear, is that Heroic Strike is off the GCD. Because of that, you want to make sure you use HS together with every ability you cast during a CS, and outside of CS, you want to use it anytime your normal rotation isn't enough to keep you off the rage cap.

Tog's BiS list is pretty much accurate, but the 3 things you need to remember from it are:

• 90% of the time, a piece with crit will be better than an higher ilvl piece without crit.
  • As one of the only exception to the rule above, the higher ilvl your weapon is, no matter its stats (as long as it has Str), the better it is.
  • Fusion-Fire Core is bad.

To further emphasize on check0790's point, as your gear gets better, Crit and Mastery and up being better than strength point for point. Therefore, gemming Crit/Hit or Crit/Exp allows you to free some of your reforges to get a tiny bit more mastery & Strangth out of your gear at a very little cost.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to ask,

-rage

There! I changed a bit of my gear as seen here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Uthul/advanced

With that gear, fury spec, I did malkorok:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/yg5i7z47lrrktkiw/sum/damageDone/

Though I'm satisfied with the dps increase, I still thinking this is a bit too low for my gear.

The question i'm asking myself is: Is it the mechanic?

To anybody who can decode this for me, thank you!

Remember to enchant/gem your new gear, and get rid of that Fusion Fire Core asap. Literally every other Strength trinket from this expansion is better than it.

Looking at the logs, you should cast BT more. You can get away with casting it as little as you do when you have a high crit chance, but yours isn't high enough yet. It shows in your lower-than-ideal enrage uptime and the very few number of RB charges you generated.

You also wasted 2 RB charges and 2 Stormbolts.

I also noticed you used Thunder Clap. Why? This skill is only good at being removed from your bars as Fury.

With your EEoG ilvl, you could (barely) have gotten a 3rd Recklessness out if you had used it on CD. I won't hold it against you since you can't know exactly how long fights will last, but generally, remember to use Reck on the first CS after its CD is over.

Trust me, I'm doing every possible raid to get something better, went back to LFR (and lost TTT this raid :/)

I'm used to use thunder clap as a filler between two GCD, assuming it was better than auto-attacking (although when writing this, i think auto attacking is better)

But I will look at that, thank you!

If you have some spare valor, the 522 Shado-Pan Assault trinket would be better :)

If not then the sooner you can get your hands on a TTT or Skeer's Talisman, the better. (Skeer's isn't that good, but it's better than FFC)