FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Elemental Shaman 5.4

Guest Strainje

I have a question about gemming after one aquires Purified Bindings of Immersus.

Do I switch out all of my red INT gems to yellow MASTERY or the orange INT/MASTERY??

Thanks.

Almost all the socket bonuses these days are large +Intellect bonuses.  With PBI, your secondaries are worth more than half of Intellect, but not that much more.  Ignore a socket bonus that's +60 critical strike, or +spirit if you can't utilize it to squeeze out more secondaries.  Otherwise, your socket bonuses are worth utilizing, even if it means you're gemming stamina/mastery in blue sockets sometimes.  (If this happens, weep softly and beg your raid for more tier gear.)

Re: Volverjaan

Lava Burst auto-crits and procs Clearcasting for you.  If soloing or badly wounded, I'll sometimes have my finger on Healing Surge before Lava Burst even finishes casting to take advantage of the healing component of it.  Further, just from having high Intellect on your gear, you'll end up somewhere in the ballpark of 30% crit anyway.  This basically means that Clearcasting uptime is already really high.  Increasing it further does much, much less than the added benefit from mastery or haste, because

• Your largest damage source gains no benefit from Critical Strike.  We aren't destro locks.
  • Your primary CD gains no benefit from Critical Strike.
  • Our DoT, which does benefit from Critical Strike but not Mastery, makes wet noodles look dangerous.
  • Mastery % becomes much higher much more quickly, and is thus more reliable (oddly enough) when you have a short burst window, like Siege Engineer duty.

I could go on for awhile.  Point is, the buff from Clearcasting doesn't make critical strike any less awful of a stat for us, it just takes the sting off it a bit, increases our Ascendance damage nicely, and is incredibly useful for healing yourself.

On section 5.1, am I correct in thinking this trick doesn't work when Lava Surge has procced, due to the instant Lava Blast and its GCD?

If so, and let's say Lava Surge procs after Unleash Elements has been cast, is it better to just ignore UE and move on, or is one of the spells better to make use of that UE?

Edited by solitha

i dunno about an LS proc, if you were max distance and low latency you might be able to get it still.

if youre not using UF, the only time you'd want to use UE as ele is if LvB is just barely over a second from being off cd.

if you are using UF, ignore procs and tricks and stuff and carry on with your usual rotation, except for UE having a higher priority than LvB.

in short if your UF buffs FS or LvB it's fine. and if you get it to buff both, you get a tiny little teardrop sized w in the rainstorm that is the rest of your damage.

Guest Doublejay

Can I suggest that you either remove Thunderstorm from the aoe rotation section or put a disclaimer in that says moving to targets to cast thunderstorm is a dps loss over staying at range and continuing to cast chain lightning and to only EVER use thunderstorm as a dps gain IF you are using the glyph. I see too many elemental shamans running around knocking back nicely clumped adds

The guide just factually states how many targets it requires for Thunderstorm to be GCD-effective.  If they're casting while in transit (LB or SWG), or if there are more mobs (Twice as much if it takes 1 GCD for travel, 1 for cast.  Etc.) it can still be effective.

Along with that, I'm sure that they know Thunderstorm includes a knockback, or at least do after their first cast.  I personally don't think it should fall to the guide to explain the social or indirect DPS consequences of not glyphing it.

Since it's not essential to our AoE even if there's enough adds and you can be in melee (we're going to win AoE contests anyway), I actually never glyph it so I can use the knockback as utility.  Might be a tiny damage loss in AoE situations, but chain lightning is more than sufficient and the utility can be life-saving.  (H. Galakras tower grunts are the big one, but it's also quite handy on Garrosh.)

Guest Itztli

Under "Gems, Enchants, Professions, and Consumables" it lists Flask of the Warm Sun (+102 Int) as the elixir of choice. I'm wondering why it is selected over Crystal of Insanity (+500 All Stats) for the Battle/Guardian slot?

Under "Gems, Enchants, Professions, and Consumables" it lists Flask of the Warm Sun (+102 Int) as the elixir of choice. I'm wondering why it is selected over Crystal of Insanity (+500 All Stats) for the Battle/Guardian slot?

Flask of the Warm Sun is actually 1000 int, and is worth more than Crystal of Insanity, unless you can use the Hit from the Crystal.  Even then, you should reforge secondaries to get to the hit cap, instead of using the Crystal, because it has a long-term cooldown.

Guest Dwarfmon

I think your BiS list is broken. Why would an ele shaman want so much spirit and crit? That makes no sense... at all. I'm assuming you got that list of gear from AskMrRobot, because I know that they have a horrible BiS list. Some real theorycrafting BiS list would be super helpful. 

I think your BiS list is broken. Why would an ele shaman want so much spirit and crit? That makes no sense... at all. I'm assuming you got that list of gear from AskMrRobot, because I know that they have a horrible BiS list. Some real theorycrafting BiS list would be super helpful. 

It's not actually a BiS list, but instead a list of most of the items available with their item levels.  See this quote:

With the advent of Thunderforged and Warforged weapons, BiS lists are much less valuable a resource than before, because we would be advising a list of items that not even the best players would have a chance to complete. Instead, we now give you advice for choosing your trinkets, your set bonuses, and whatever else is important for your class.

• For single-target fights:
    • your trinkets of choice are wow_icon_inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trink Purified Bindings of Immerseus and wow_icon_inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trink Kardris' Toxic Totem;
    • your Tier 15 set bonuses are so good that you need to have Tier 16 pieces of much higher level than your Tier 15 pieces before dropping your Tier 15 set (for example, if you have 4 Heroic pieces of Tier 15, you probably need to wait until you have 2 Heroic pieces of Tier 16 to break your Tier 15 set).
  • For AoE fights, your trinkets of choice are wow_icon_inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trink Purified Bindings of Immerseus and wow_icon_inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trink Frenzied Crystal of Rage.
  • For multiple-target fights, your Tier 15 set bonuses are worthless, so you should drop them as soon as possible.

For the rest of your equipment, you should look for upgrades that match your stat priority. For that, we advise you to Ask Mr. Robot, by filling the form below.

BiS lists don't really hold much water, especially since there are a variety of builds you can play as an Ele shaman.  Along with that, you can't always guarantee that you'll actually get WF'd pieces, and depending on which ones you have and which ones you don't, the BiS list might change.

Be flexible, get the stats you want, and build your own BiS set.

Guest Kamauhl

I know I might sound silly, but the unleash weapon talent is actually very nice when used in game, when used properly, it will give you a grand total of 40% damage increase, but the best part is actually the passive that remains for the next ten seconds, the 30% increase to lightning bolt damage actually bumps up the damage to be as strong as lava burst itself. Considering the buff lasts for 10 seconds and also boosts echo of element procs as well as mastery on lightning bolt. I would like to highlight that this skill might be on par or even better than the other two talents. Yes it kills some global cooldown but the damage boosts it provides outweighs the con. And the 10% passive boost to lava surge procs isn't bad itself.

I know I might sound silly, but the unleash weapon talent is actually very nice when used in game, when used properly, it will give you a grand total of 40% damage increase, but the best part is actually the passive that remains for the next ten seconds, the 30% increase to lightning bolt damage actually bumps up the damage to be as strong as lava burst itself. Considering the buff lasts for 10 seconds and also boosts echo of element procs as well as mastery on lightning bolt. I would like to highlight that this skill might be on par or even better than the other two talents. Yes it kills some global cooldown but the damage boosts it provides outweighs the con. And the 10% passive boost to lava surge procs isn't bad itself.

The Unleashed Fury talent is competitive with the other talents, yes, and with extreme care in its usage can actually surpass them on single target.  (If you screw up at all or ever have to switch targets for any reason ever then elemental blast is better.)  This information is reflected in the guide.  The Unleash Elements spell, however, is not worth casting* unless you have that talent; you are spending a full GCD on what amounts to 30% of the damage of a lava burst.  A GCD's worth of a lightning bolt cast does more damage than that and also generates Lightning Shield charges.

*The specific instance is if you're hardcasting lava burst and refreshing flame shock immediately thereafter, since both spells will benefit due to lava burst's travel time.  It's a tiny gain over just not worrying about it, and without fail I get a lava surge proc every time I try to do it (which negates the benefit and puts it back to "not worth it"), so I stopped caring.  I don't recommend casting Unleash Elements in any situation unless you have the Unleashed Fury talent.

Sign in to follow this