FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vixxa

SV DPS Sucks. Need help.

So i'm new to raiding I had an alliance 76 hunter but when i ordered WoD i decided to roll a horde hunter hence the boost to 90. Anyway I found Noxxic first and used the spec off there. But im only hitting 59k DPS. I've reforged my gear to his the expertise cap and hit cap. I've enchanted a lot of my gear. My gear level is currently 502. I'll give you a link to my armory and then i'll tell you my rotation.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Vixxo/simple

EDIT: Just clicked the link to my armory and my enchants and reforges aren't showing up, Only done them about an hour ago.

My rotation is - Hunters Mark > Serpent string > explosive shot (everytime it's off cooldown or procs) > Glavie toss > Kill shot (if the enemy is under 20% health > Black arrow > Arcane shot (Burn focus) > Cobra shot (to build focus). 

Then just use explosive shot everytime it procs, Glaive toss off cooldown, Keep black arrow up and renew serpent string with cobra shot. 

If i have full focus and Explosive shot hasn't proced i'll throw down an ice trap which procs it. And using my cooldowns. Rabid fire in time with Rabid. using blood fury when explosive shot procs. And calling in Dire beast and a murder of crows when possible. 

Any advice for a noob?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Vixxa

It's hard to say where to make improvements until the armory is updated because I'm seeing old gems, stam gems and nothing Enchanted. I'll look again in a few hours

• Like 1

It's hard to say where to make improvements until the armory is updated because I'm seeing old gems, stay gems and nothing Enchanted. I'll look again in a few hours

Sorry, Didn't realise the armory hadn't update until I posted. Thanks for taking a look anyway :) 

First off: an AMR link (http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/4b90ffe5-e8a2-4a65-8184-b5c81661d7de)

*posting from my phone so no fancy options, will edit later*

Next off: Female Dwarf results:

Nvm, FD isn't updated with boosted items, but 60-80k sounds reasonable.

Third: try not to focus cap. If you get too close (>80) use arcane shot. I also recommend using TotH over dire beast simply because it's entirely passive and allows more dps when focus is at a premium, ie the opener.

FIrst of all congratulations on choosing a fun class to boost to level 90! 

I know you are just starting to run things on your new hunter and replacing gear pretty consistently. Depending on your server's economy and your personal gold sometimes gemming and enchanting all that new gear every time can be difficult.  In this situation its ok to not enchant a piece of gear you know you will soon be replacing, like your gloves for instance, and to save it for a piece of gear that is over 500 item level. 

I'm seeing old +20 gems in your sockets. These may be cheap on the ah but they are very outdated and wont add much to your gear. Refer to this page for which gems are the best: https://www.icy-veins.com/survival-hunter-wow-pve-dps-gems-enchants-professions-consumables. You are still over hit capped, so there is no need to have a hit gem (or stam gem) in your gear.You can replace those with agility gems. For yellow gem sockets you will want to pick crit over haste.

I know you are just starting to gear up and you are probably still getting used to managing your focus. You may find Thrill of the Hunt or Fervor to be more useful on target switching or aoe heavy fights. 

Thanks for the speedy replies. I know my gems are a little off and i was way over my hit cap and way under my expertise so i reforged the gear to get expertise cap. Once i get some better gear i'll spend more time and money getting it right biggrin.png

I'll see what i can do in the meantime.

Thank you.

First off, welcome to the hunter life. Now as for your issue with dps, you'll notice big jumps in dps as you upgrade your ranged weapon. going from your current weapon to say a 502 from ToT LFR will put you some were in the range of 90k to 110k dps range. I'm a 565 hunter on Fizzcrank and pushing between 330k to 350k but my rotation isn't exactly what Icy Veins has listed here. As for someones earlier post about switching out of Dire Beast, I have to disagree. The focus regen becomes nessisary once you get the 2 piece set from T16 allowing you to use your arcane shot alot more, I currently can use rapid fire about once every 45 to 50 second which is nice but I only use it once every minute as I have it macro'd to my synapse spring on my gloves, maximizing both and increasing my dps overall. I'm sure someone will say I can do this or that to up my dps more but sim dps says I should be pulling 322k dps and I pull more than that with my current rotation/spec.

Link to my armory page so yah know I know what I'm talking about hehe

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/fizzcrank/Imagonnagetu/advanced

Edited by Imagonnagetu

569 ilevel hunter here, first off here's the armory link since everybody else is doing it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/whisperwind/Aliensanta/simple

So to get started, the priority I use looks like:

Serpent Sting > Explosive Shot > Kill Shot > Black Arrow > Glaive/Barrage > Arcane > Cobra

Black Arrow is much higher priority than Glaive/Barrage because the damage itself is significant and the LnL procs are a large part of Survival dps, especially with a 4 piece tier set.

Next, I want to talk about the focus regen talents.  I personally use Fervor over the other two because Dire Beast generates too little focus and the pet dps itself is low for Survival hunters.  Thrill of the Hunt is great if you have a 2 pc, but when you get the 4 pc you will find that your LnL procs will interfere with your Thrill procs which lowers the effectiveness of Thrill.  Fervor is better for on demand focus if you manage your focus bar well.

Speaking of focus try to keep your focus bar around 60%.  If you wait till 80% or higher your passive focus regen will put you over the top if you get a LnL proc.  If you go below 60% when Explosive and Black Arrow are both off cooldown then you will lose time trying to regen focus to use them both as soon as possible.

I don't use Murder of Crows because to use it best you have to try and pool the focus then use it on a target that will live through its full duration.  Blink Strikes is comparable dps while also reducing the number of buttons you have to push and cooldowns you have to monitor.  Speaking of reducing button bloat once you get the 2 pc tier set and Assurance of Consequence from the Sha of Pride you can macro Rapid Fire into another button since it has no global cooldown.  I linked it to Cobra Shot to maximize the up time while doing my rotation.  Waiting until synapse springs is ready by delaying the Rapid Fire by a minute can lead to a fair amount of lost time over the course of a 5-7 minute fight.

On the note about simcraft numbers being off for Survival hunters you have to remember that with the 4 pc bonus Survival will have more random elements.  I doubt Simcraft calculates for a few lucky strings of LnL procs, sometimes if you're lucky you go from one LnL proc to the next w/o any breaks.