FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kihra

Warcraft Logs Feedback Thread

Hello all. This is Kihra, the creator of Warcraft Logs. I wanted to create a thread on the Icy Veins forums (similar to the one I have going on mmo-champion) for the purpose of collecting feedback on WCL.

I'm here looking for suggestions on improvements you'd like to see. If there's anything that bugs you about the UI that you'd like to see improved, let me know. If there's anything you really like and don't want to see changed, let me know that too! 

Use this thread to complain about bugs, make feature requests, ask any questions you might have, etc. and I'll read it regularly and respond.

Thanks!

Kihra

• Like 8

It's already amazingly better than WoL, and I'm not looking for anything huge.  It's already heads above the competition and a powerful tool.

From your MMO-Champ thread, I saw you were implementing your own EpeenBot, which I'm excited for.

What do you have planned for 'What went wrong?' feature, and are you making fight by fight flags for that, or just a 'Person died because of melee because of threat' kind of analysis?

Would it be possible to implement a ranking split between US and EU?  I know we're on the same 'grade' so to speak, but I still would rather compare to my peers than to people I have little opportunity to converse with.  Would still be useful if US/EU stayed the default.

Are you considering adding any self-audit tools, such as DoT uptime, casts vs cooldown, or buff uptime?  I know it's easy stuff to pull, but Icy-Veins especially is a place where people come to have these things spelled out for them, and I think on SOME fights there could be real value to those numbers.

Pins are the best idea in the world.

I'm seeing an odd bug lately, regarding resources.  Our two warlocks are showing on the graph, but not showing on the table below.  Seems to happen with energy as well, when there are multiple sources.  See here: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JVjr1Q4zRaPY3ZmM#type=resources&fight=31&spell=114

Do you think there could be any other ways of comparing ranks without cluttering up the report's Ranking UI?  IE: Linking to the ranks for a fight from it's header or clicking on your own rank leading to the same fight/format and the 10 ranks above/below your rank?

Are there any plans for log validation techniques to be implemented, such as minimum damage done?  I found a few logs brokenly short and with little damage done (Sub ~200m) such as this:  http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TDHbvhtWy79PFK3Q#type=summary&fight=1

Edited by Hybrys

Hey, this is Zagam - I reached out to you when WCL was coming together and wrote the little mini-guide on it.  Let me know what all you personally need from me and I'll do whatever I can to assist.

Hi Kihra!

We all love Warcraft Logs. What you've created is fantastic and amazing!

The only thing that I can think of I've ever said "man I'd really like to see this done" is with showing casts on the graph. When I pin a cast on a graph to look at, say, when a warlock is casting Chaos Bolt in regards to procs, it shows a line for when the casts start and when the casts end. It would be nice if there was a way to either color these differently so there's one color for start and another for end or a way to just only show one or the other - it gets a little hard to distinguish casts from each other when they're chained during CDs.

I love you. Have my children. Wait, that sound weird doesn't it? No really, Zagam told me about your site a long time ago and I've been in love since, MASSIVE improvement over the other logging systems - so a heartfelt thank you for that.

So far it does what I want it to do, if I come up with anything I'll post.

Kihra,

I found WCL through the mods on this site back in December and am eternally grateful to them and you.  I am a huge proponent and drop suggestions to posters to switch to WCL from their linked logging site.  I cannot thank you enough for the Pin Tool and Combat Replay.

For things I'd like to see: An optional window (pop out or built in) on combat replay that allows you select raid or singular dps/hps graph and be able to have a line read left to right on the x-axis of that graph as you are watching the combat replay that matches the time stamp.

For a current bug:  (although it won't be around when WCL final release w/ WoD launch)  Inner Fire and Inner Will are not being logged correctly as buffs for Priests.  Specifically, not showing up at all on some logs if they are not switching or enabling the buff a certain time before combat begins.

Thank you for the great work and for reaching out to the forums here on IV!

Kihra,

I found WCL through the mods on this site back in December and am eternally grateful to them and you.  I am a huge proponent and drop suggestions to posters to switch to WCL from their linked logging site.  I cannot thank you enough for the Pin Tool and Combat Replay.

For things I'd like to see: An optional window (pop out or built in) on combat replay that allows you select raid or singular dps/hps graph and be able to have a line read left to right on the x-axis of that graph as you are watching the combat replay that matches the time stamp.

For a current bug:  (although it won't be around when WCL final release w/ WoD launch)  Inner Fire and Inner Will are not being logged correctly as buffs for Priests.  Specifically, not showing up at all on some logs if they are not switching or enabling the buff a certain time before combat begins.

Thank you for the great work and for reaching out to the forums here on IV!

That Inner Fire/Will bug happens when the buff isn't applied or removed during the encounter.  You can't parse something that doesn't happen, and it's unsafe to assume it is applied.  It happens with any self-buffs, including Lightning Shield as well.

I haven't been raiding a whole lot lately, and certainly not at the level that I've needed to log, however I absolutely love your site from what I have seen and used.

I also love that you can search for a character and it'll pull up all their logs and rank them (even if it isn't a top 200 rank). I'm glad to hear you're implementing your own version of epeen bot. I'd love to see the ranking side of the site include full character profiles also. That would basically make Warcraft Logs my one stop destination for researching other players.

a few things that are required for Warcraft Logs to replace most other sites I use currently:

- Everything on one character's "profile" so if I search for Stormdk - Stormrage it pulls up my DK with the following info

- Current armory snapshot with enchants, gems, reforges, etc.

- List of logs, percentiles, graphs, average dps, etc. like epeen bot, and easily navigable by spec/boss/difficulty/etc.

- Kill count for bosses, date of first kill, and if it's possible wipe count (nobody ever does this one, but it could be helpful in determining how much experience a potential recruit may have on a progression boss, or if they got carried through half the bosses by joining a new guild)

- Guild history (not as important, but would be cool and I wouldn't have to check wowprogress to see if they're a guild hopper)

The only other question/concern I would have is are you planning for scalability? Doing some rough estimation with little research I'd say you have about 50,000 unique players appearing in a log somewhere or another. and you're probably getting about 5k-10k page views per day? How are you paying for the site? I don't see a single ad anywhere. One or two banners to generate some income aren't a bad thing. Right now you can probably run on a single server with inexpensive hosting, but I don't think any of us doubt that you have a far superior product to World of Logs. You should absolutely be planning now for how you're going to handle 100k+ views per day and terrabytes of logs without performance issues, both logistically and financially.

• Like 2

- Kill count for bosses, date of first kill, and if it's possible wipe count (nobody ever does this one, but it could be helpful in determining how much experience a potential recruit may have on a progression boss, or if they got carried through half the bosses by joining a new guild)

Did not think of this.  How many wipes has gone into an encounter is something that comes up all the time when recruiting in the middle of a tier.  It is something that does not get tracked anywhere and would be a useful tool when going through applicants.

Edited by Gwenymph

Are there any plans for log validation techniques to be implemented, such as minimum damage done?  I found a few logs brokenly short and with little damage done (Sub ~200m) such as this:  http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TDHbvhtWy79PFK3Q#type=summary&fight=1

Validation exists for both duration and damage. I'm just lazy and wait for people to report a specific fight. For some reason 25-man folks have been way more aggressive about letting me know, so their ranks are a bit cleaner. :)

The only other question/concern I would have is are you planning for scalability? Doing some rough estimation with little research I'd say you have about 50,000 unique players appearing in a log somewhere or another. and you're probably getting about 5k-10k page views per day? How are you paying for the site? I don't see a single ad anywhere. One or two banners to generate some income aren't a bad thing. Right now you can probably run on a single server with inexpensive hosting, but I don't think any of us doubt that you have a far superior product to World of Logs. You should absolutely be planning now for how you're going to handle 100k+ views per day and terrabytes of logs without performance issues, both logistically and financially.

It's already scaled. The site is getting an enormous amount of traffic now. I will be implementing subscriptions when I get out of beta. I may or may not include ads. I have a strong distaste for them and will probably wait and see if subscriptions are sufficient.

Note - Is there a way to add charges to track Molten Core (Demonology Warlock) how you do it for Lightning Shield for Shamans?  Note for log here...

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dVy4M8rhNJfbmx7B/#start=3529369&end=3803684&type=auras&source=2&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24resources%240%2499101914.0.0.Warlock%240.0.0.Any%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%240%24115&ability=140074&view=events

It's only tracking MC charges as having 1.  MC goes up to 10, and it'd be nice to see if someone is messing up by hitting 10 charges.

• Like 1

Note - Is there a way to add charges to track Molten Core (Demonology Warlock) how you do it for Lightning Shield for Shamans?  Note for log here...

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dVy4M8rhNJfbmx7B/#start=3529369&end=3803684&type=auras&source=2&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24resources%240%2499101914.0.0.Warlock%240.0.0.Any%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%240%24115&ability=140074&view=events

It's only tracking MC charges as having 1.  MC goes up to 10, and it'd be nice to see if someone is messing up by hitting 10 charges.

Sure, just let me know what the exact rules are for how charges are gained and lost.

Sure, just let me know what the exact rules are for how charges are gained and lost.

This should be easy to track: inv_wand_1h_firelandsraid_d_02.jpgDecimation

This one, I'm not sure.. Its just a proc chance based on damage: ability_warlock_moltencore.jpgMolten Core

Theres no way in the logs to show if it get refreshed?  That would mean it added a stack.

In all honesty, it sounds like a horrible thing to try to track and the effort may not be worthwhile.

Molten Core charges are applied when Wild Imps or Shadowflame deal damage with an 8% chance on hit.  This charge lasts for 30 seconds, is consumed upon a Soul Fire cast, and can stack up to 10 times.  Subtracting a charge should be no issue - just do it if the MC buff is present when Soul Fire is cast.  However, applying a stack is where things get weird.  The buff would already be present, but the stacks are not identifiable in the logs.   

The purpose of this is that Demonology Warlocks who let their stacks get to 10 are making a gameplay mistake - you should be avoiding capping them.  When diagnosing a Warlock's DPS issues, I COULD go here, but it'd be like step 9 out of 10 in order to correct actions. 

Would it also be possible to track how many stacks of ability_hunter_thrillofthehunt.jpgThrill of the Hunt a hunter has?  Right now it's just showing if TotH is present or not, and I'd like to know how efficiently I'm using my TotH procs.  You gain 3 stacks at a 30% chance on each shot that costs focus and is consumed by ability_impalingbolt.jpgArcane Shot and ability_upgrademoonglaive.jpgMulti-Shot.  Or would this be akin to molten core's situation?

Same as molten core. If it's a chance and not triggered by anything specific you can't track it

Ok, this is just me thinking aloud here, but would it be possible to track when the TotH buff refreshes?  If so, then it should be easy to track the stacks with a little work of your own.  Using Arcane and Multi-Shot when the buff is present would subtract a stack, and if the buff is refreshed the stacks reset to 3.

The ability to over lay past weeks on a single view would be nice, not sure if it's doable. My workaround right now is to just use two tabs or my two screens, but being able to pin a week over another would be kind of nice.

When I left my guilds WCL I couldn't upload any personal logs since the check box is disabled when you don't have a guild selected. I fixed it by joining another guild, but was slightly annoying.

Not sure if this is really something you can fix but it would help all of us a LOT of you could. The IcyVeins mods are all in the WoD Alpha and trying to log some theorycrafting. Me and at least two others are not able to though because of an odd error:

"Error: Line 1 - This is not a valid log file. Bad line was: 6/26 04:11:39.314 SPELL_PERIODIC_HEAL,Player:976:0000AF2E" 

We've tried on a few classes, in 6 or 7 specs, deleting the log and making a new one each time, and selecting the WoD option in the uploader, nothing seems to work.

Any idea how we can fix it or if there is something on your end that can be done would help a lot.

I messaged him on Twitter and basically blizzard broke logs.

From my guess, he has to teach the uploader to read it again.