FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Frost Death Knight 5.4

In the 5.4 guide it looks like crit is favored over str in the gem section, but under professions it's mentioned that JC will give you 320 more str and not more crit.

It that just from the 5.3 guide or ?

Guest Xedilian

This depends on whether you are dual-wielding or using a two-handed weapon.

For dual wielding, it is Mastery > Haste.

For two-handed weapons, it is Haste > Crit > Mastery.

Youre wrong it is mastery>haste

doesnt matter if it doesnt make sence it still pulls numbers. 

Guest Falon

Can anyone tell me why mr.robot it trying to get me to replace all my gems with pure mastery gems?  on elitist jerks, Mendenbarr BIS shows skillful (STR/MASTERY) gem.   Which is the better option?

-Falon, Silver Hand 

Guest Mirar

I'm not quite sure, but the stats are very depending on the talents you chose. I made tests with simc and I ended up with haste>crit>mastery (2h) with 'unholy blight' (T1) and 'runic empowerment' (T5) with a ilevel of 548. Comparing with T1 PL and T5 BT, it was crit>haste>mastery. Can somebody please explain me why it is crit>mastery>haste in all guides? Because by analyzing all possibilities, I never end up with this priority.

Can anyone tell me why mr.robot it trying to get me to replace all my gems with pure mastery gems?  on elitist jerks, Mendenbarr BIS shows skillful (STR/MASTERY) gem.   Which is the better option?

-Falon, Silver Hand 

Since you are not in BiS, it may not be optimal for you to use those gems used in mendenbarrs BiS list. If you really want to know, which Gems you should use, you have to simulate your current gear and follow the resulting stat weights. If you do not want or cannot do that, you should probably follow the suggestions made by askmrrobot, but I don't know if they change their stat weights depending of your gear level

Guest baconinja

Latest version of the guide has DW rotation as having Frost Strike top priority at either high Runic Power, or for Killing Machine, while Obliterate is only used to cycle through Unholy Runes. However, later down in the guide it says that Killing Machine procs should be used only on Obliterate if at all possible. Should there be a note to clarify that to be for 2H only, or does the DW rotation need to be edited?

However, later down in the guide it says that Killing Machine procs should be used only on Obliterate if at all possible. Should there be a note to clarify that to be for 2H only, or does the DW rotation need to be edited?

My guess would be that this qualifies as an "advanced note" about the rotation, and is given as additional information later on for that reason. But that's just my guess.

That is only for 2h.  Oblit is a loss every time for DW and shouldn't be used at all for DW.  Because as has been true since forever for DW, 2 HB > 1oblit, so don't use frost runes on anything but HB.

100% crit from KM on frost strike is where dw's damage is and is listed priority number 1 and its covered under the Dual wielding title.  The dead give away that the section you were reading is for 2h is the inv_sword_120.jpgMight of the Frozen Wastes link.  Its also the reason 2h likes oblit more than hb.

To clear up the gemming thing for 5.4

Mr. Robot and EJ are both correct

If you are still reading EJ in this day and age and trying to translate that directly to your 490ilvl gear you deserve everything that happens to you.  There's like 7 disclaimers about it being calculated for BiS and heroic content.  Mr. Robot assumes you are too lazy to run sims on yourself for every upgrade/sidegrade and calculate dps differences while juggling your stats.

You should pretty much force 320 mast/crit gems in unless all the sockets are red/yellow and you can use the str + mast/crit gem.  But its not going to make or break your dps. Str is point for point the highest dps stat.  The only reason you'd gem straight mast/crit is you get twice as much of it on hybrid gems and straight yellows. So getting 80 str +160 mast/crit gems and a str socket bonus is the biggest dps gain because you are double dipping your 2 highest scalers for dps.  You won't even see crit/mast passing str significantly until 560 ilvl.  However if the socket bonus is crit/mast and you are 2h/dw and know which stat you need, you'll squeeze out a few more deeps if you ignore the bad socket bonus.

EDIT: changed DW advice to no longer use oblit instead of using it last.

Edited by Failhard

Guest Sy

quick question... is it possible to double up on the gloves? like eng and LW or eng and BS sockets? dont they both count as a mod (meaning that one cancels the other?) also shouldnt the sockets for JC be the combo gems? meaning that rather than 320 str for to reds, itd be 160 str AND 320 mast/320 crit for oranges? asking cuz i never really considered profs on my DK (since the whole point of starting at 58 is to NOT have to play the beginning of the game yet again) and therefore have never had any, but the dps boost may be exactly why i can't seem to quite catch up with my peers. You also left out the card decks from inscription... i have a friend in my guild who had at least one very cool trink from a card set (though i think 5.4 kinda scrapped that) either way it was an additional boost for most of mop.

Guest Sy

One more question.... why does DW dk not have a lengendary meta listed? i assume it the same a DW, but with the added miss chance does that the proc? i looked hard at the sinister before researching and though i now know more about the capacitive, i still wonder why there isnt a better explaination of it it the game tooltip.

Guest Slayeryoda

I'm not quite sure, but the stats are very depending on the talents you chose. I made tests with simc and I ended up with haste>crit>mastery (2h) with 'unholy blight' (T1) and 'runic empowerment' (T5) with a ilevel of 548. Comparing with T1 PL and T5 BT, it was crit>haste>mastery. Can somebody please explain me why it is crit>mastery>haste in all guides? Because by analyzing all possibilities, I never end up with this priority.

I am trying to figure out something similar.  i understand that as a 2H frost, Crit should be top, followed by mastery (which is great for the 2 set bonus).  at a 552 ilvl and a 2 set bonus, simcraft is telling me that haste is still top, followed by crit, and lastly mastery.  I know that this is not BiS gear, and that i do not have my 4 set yet, But it leads me to believe that there is a haste break point somewhere out there that is only met when ilvl approaches the 570 - 580 mark.  Is there anyone out there that can clear this up for me?

Guest Corwin MacGregor

I'm running a DW frost DK, and AMR has lately been doing this funny thing of putting Fallen Crusader on the MH, and Razorice on the OH.  I checked their bug report forums for the issue, and apparently recent (5.4+) sims have shown that, with a bugfix blizzard applied to Razorice, FC on MH is more beneficial to Soul Reaper and possibly other abilities.   Might wanna note this in the Gems, Enchants, and Professions section of the guide.

Here's link to discussion on AMR:  http://forums.askmrrobot.com/index.php?topic=7484.0

Guest Guest

as has been covered on other sites. there is/was a AMR bug with the unholy blight talent that changes the stat priority incorrectly to haste. with the plague leech changes i really dont know wht you would take UB though.

Guest Vanaxarion

Hello!

I come here often to see an optimised way to play certain classes.

My Main is a Dk frost 2H, and before the 5.4 I reforged my stuff to have a full haste stuff. But after i came here to see what's changed on the dk and i saw, not only on this website,that a lot of dk play with a full crit stuff. I tried this but my dps went down and I decided to play full haste again. 

I don't really understand why does all the Dk played on full crit. What does changed on the Dk to make everyone play Dk on full crit.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your futur answer

Guest dprivateb

Helllo

Dual wielding will use Rune of the Fallen Crusader on their main hand with Rune of Razorice on their offhand. If able, keep a third weapon enchanted with Rune of Cinderglacier to swap for your off hand weapon to use in AoE scenarios.
These are the correct runeforging, and are further explained in the FAQ.

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/world-of-warcraft/death-knight/frost-dps-54-howling-blargh-r74

https://www.icy-veins.com/frost-death-knight-wow-pve-dps-gems-enchants-professions-consumables

who is right?

Everybody is right! Sort of...kind of...anyway. You should have:

rotfc=MH

RI=OH

You shouldn't be changing your runeforge for CG, because there is no encounter anywhere that is pure trash and you can ignore priority targets.

Guest bloodspill

blacksmithing actually has 3 benefits, if you become honoured with the klaxxi you can get a socket for your belt as well.

blacksmithing actually has 3 benefits, if you become honoured with the klaxxi you can get a socket for your belt as well.

Uhh no because everyone puts the living steel buckle on their belt not just a smith.

hello there. i was just wondering, is it by any chance better to dump the UH runes to death and decay, instead of cycling them with obl in case of dw? having in mind that aoe situations occur rather a lot in soo raids.

Guest Edotensei

Do we only use soul reaper at sub 35% hp? I don't see much mention of the 50% haste buff it provides when the mob is not under 35% hp, wouldn't that be really useful? Sticking with the guide for now as my DK knowledge is rather limited.

Do we only use soul reaper at sub 35% hp? I don't see much mention of the 50% haste buff it provides when the mob is not under 35% hp, wouldn't that be really useful? Sticking with the guide for now as my DK knowledge is rather limited.

Yes, only below 35%. Above that Soul Reaper does literarly nothing... Apart form consuming a rune.

It is stated in the guide how it works if you cared to read the whole. https://www.icy-veins.com/frost-death-knight-wow-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities#sec-4-4

Guest Guest

sorry i'm dk frost 2h item level 551 and i follow your guide for priority stats but i make 140k of dps then i try this priority hit= exp 7,5%>strenght>haste>crit and i make 180k of dps so i don't know but i think there is something wrong, i don't understending your guide or what??

sorry for my english i'm italian player tongue.png

Guest Intevo

Hi DKs,

Since 5.4 Fallen Crusader should be on the Main hand as DW. Blizz changed the way razor ice works. Soul reaper only procs Fallen Crusader on MH. This results in a slightly higher uptime of Fallen Crusader.

Read this post:

http://forums.askmrrobot.com/index.php?topic=7484.0

Ask Mr. Robot already fixed it.

hello there. 

i was running some tests in simcraft with my frost dk , dw, and i was getting that haste higher that mast/crit. 

j7le.jpg

my question is, have i done anything wrong? cause in all guides i have seen is mast over crit over haste. or it is just that i dont read the results correct. i had 50k interations. thnx for ur time :)

Sign in to follow this