FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Unholy Death Knight 5.4

1) I know my latency effects my dps, at ~700 ms I'm wondering if it would cause a major disruption

2) as of Mastery and Haste... is HST rating >= MST rating... or HST percentage >= MST percentage?

While talking about stat weights, it is normally always about the rating to have a direct comparison on a per stat rating-point basis. The latency issue may of course be a problem.

Other than that, your gear looks ok. It could be a bit adjusted, but this would not impact your DPS noticeably. If neglecting the latency, I guess you could find some small general issues with your rotation, but that's hard to judge without logs. But I would say, overall your DPS is good enough for your progression and gear level.

Other than that, your gear looks ok. It could be a bit adjusted, but this would not impact your DPS noticeably. If neglecting the latency, I guess you could find some small general issues with your rotation, but that's hard to judge without logs. But I would say, overall your DPS is good enough for your progression and gear level.

Ok, that's what I thought, and thanks for the input Farnion :3

I have been experimenting a little with a new playstyle I have in mind that's similar to the Festerblight playstyle, I'd have to get the Skeer's trinket to give it a full trial test, but it also involves the 2pc tier bonus...

Basically it combines Disease Gaming and exploits the 2pc bonus when it provides you with Mastery. Basically you'd reapply the diseases when they're the strongest you can get them and spamming Festering Strike to keep up the strongest diseases possible, BUT when you start getting Sudden Doom/Death Shroud procs (tier 16 2pc set bonus) switch to using Scourge Strike to make use of the Mastery increase. I call it Dreadweaving, and it does do a nice little bit of extra burst dps compared to my normal rotation. However, it could use a test by a real theorycrafter (because my net connection sucks so hard XD)

Edited by loboshu

Basically it combines Disease Gaming and exploits the 2pc bonus when it provides you with Mastery. Basically you'd reapply the diseases when they're the strongest you can get them and spamming Festering Strike to keep up the strongest diseases possible, BUT when you start getting Sudden Doom/Death Shroud procs (tier 16 2pc set bonus) switch to using Scourge Strike to make use of the Mastery increase. I call it Dreadweaving, and it does do a nice little bit of extra burst dps compared to my normal rotation. However, it could use a test by a real theorycrafter (because my net connection sucks so hard XD)

It has been evaluated if Skeer's trinket is good enough for going back to festerblight and the answer so far was 'no', some more details can be found in the elistist jerks thread over here. This simulations also included 2pT16 (or rather 4pT16).

If I understood your priority system correctly, you want to use festerblight as usual but in case of 2p proccs switch over to using more SS. As shown in the simulations above already the first part (extending strong diseases instead of using SS right away) should already be a dps loss (keep in mind that the simulations were performed in ideal circumstances and snapshotting skeer's trinket perfectly is not easy, especially not, while having a 700ms latency). And switching back to more SS in the presence of useful buffs (like 2pT16) was also used before in the normal festerblight playstyle, where your goal was to keep diseases around 40 seconds to have a window of using SS for burst phases ;)

Guest mattttt

when I looked up stat priority, u guys missed a race on the expertise passive, I use a gnome and he gets 1 hand sword expertise

Guest Beefplague

Hey now, I was reading this and I noticed that agility-for unholy only-is not even given a second thought. I was leveling my death knight in unholy this whole time and noticed some plate gear which had both strength and agility, so I started using those, and it increases your critical strike rating by quite a lot, 5.26% for, but I've noticed it varies, and also in the rotation I prioritize my diseases, using blood boil to spread them after using plague strike to apply them, and left with that one single or those two tough elites, I start using festering and scourge strikes. True, I'm only doing mass damage with mass "guinea pigs" but it works. I do admit that he is not max level yet, 15 to go, and up until I actually read the abilities and figured out how they work, which was 67, my damage improved significantly. I thought I was on to something when I discovered this and figured "Well maybe the icy veins one is a lot similar," but it's very different, and I'm afraid that if I change it, I'll forget this one.

Guest Riverstyxxer

Askmrrobot and icyveins both say stack crit as primary, however in game simulations I keep mastery and haste over all, and whatever is left over goes to crit. I out dps most dks, whether frost or unholy, and even out dps a lot higher geared dks than my own. Not tooting my horn, I just feel a constant high dps is better than occasional big crits.

Askmrrobot and icyveins both say stack crit as primary, however in game simulations I keep mastery and haste over all, and whatever is left over goes to crit. I out dps most dks, whether frost or unholy, and even out dps a lot higher geared dks than my own. Not tooting my horn, I just feel a constant high dps is better than occasional big crits.

First let me preface saying I don't know anything about DKs. You may be right in your assessment.

What I want to mention is that your mentality of not going with crit could be grossly wrong. Just because it's "occasional" big crit, it may not matter. Let's take a fury warrior for example, every time they crit they get a free charge to a spell and they get enraged.

For a mistweaver, let's say the mastery wasn't completely God awful, crit still gives more mana tea stacks for infinite mana.

Your mentality with crit is how I am with my Reston druid. Mastery us a straight increase while crit is sometimes an increase.

So you may want to ask yourself, what does crit give you other than just occasional big numbers?

Mastery is viable but not optimal. Most top unholy DK's are stacking crit. I'm going to link you a few wow-heroes pages since the badges at the bottom are an easy way to compare the number and quality of ranks players have. I picked these players randomly from top 50 ranks on various fights on WoL, and then went to their wow-heroes page to look at the rest of their ranks and check their gems/reforges.

Here are a few 'top' Crit DK's:

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/stormreaver/tinkee/ 11 current tier heroic ranks, 4 top 10

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Azralon/dkinsonia/ has 45 different ranks on various modes. only 1 top 10

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Blackrock/rufio/ 9 current tier heroic ranks, 2 top 10 heroic. #2 on normal garrosh.

I wanted to link 3 mastery DK's, but after checking through roughly 20 dk's I only found 1 mastery DK by randomly clicking unholy DK's with top 50 ranks.

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Thrall/scoobedobedo/  9 current tier heroic ranks as unholy, 3 top 10.

My bad, that dk probably wasn't even a mastery Unholy. he has a lot of unholy ranks, but he's playing dw frost now, which is the reason why he's stacking mastery. I don't think you'll find a single mastery stacking unholy dk with a top 50 rank on any fight.

Guest Beefplague

Hey now, I was reading this and I noticed that agility-for unholy only-is not even given a second thought. I was leveling my death knight in unholy this whole time and noticed some plate gear which had both strength and agility, so I started using those, and it increases your critical strike rating by quite a lot, 5.26% for, but I've noticed it varies, and also in the rotation I prioritize my diseases, using blood boil to spread them after using plague strike to apply them, and left with that one single or those two tough elites, I start using festering and scourge strikes. True, I'm only doing mass damage with mass "guinea pigs" but it works. I do admit that he is not max level yet, 15 to go, and up until I actually read the abilities and figured out how they work, which was 67, my damage improved significantly. I thought I was on to something when I discovered this and figured "Well maybe the icy veins one is a lot similar," but it's very different, and I'm afraid that if I change it, I'll forget this one.

Wow, that was a few months ago. I forgot when I hit 90 exactly, but im not stacking agility anymore (in the case that if it comes with crit or such on a trink/finger/neck then I would prioritize it) instead, it looks like just stam and strength, he has a lot of haste too, 40%, mastery is 27%, I also noticed his spell stats were high haste mastery and crit, probably for the diseases and all. Anyway, I still use the same stuff for this spec I "mastered"(?) it was one I created entirely of my own just from reading what every ability, passive, and attribute does for and how they affect my abilities, im proud of it, I usually suck at video games, in general, but once I started getting gear this was no problem for me to get in the top 10/5 even sometimes. there are problems with it, the moment I spike in damage, +100k dps, it slowly declines, ive only done Mogushan Vaults, LFR because I don't care to get all the way up there, I just want to see the content and lfr is most reasonable, but those mobs in the beginning, mass groups give you huge dps and damage spike, I came in second place by at least 60 or so percent more than the person behind me, he uses his diseases and dual wield for the attack speed, im talking unholy speed, furious plaguebringer, using cinderglacier on both, I did see using it with uhh, damn, the blue one at start on one of your weapons, I will try it out, I tested all the runes in all the configurations and in 60 sec, all cooldowns and everything, double cinderglacier I believe gave the highest, but ill check those two more thoroughly, if someone wants to check what I have, tweak it or try for its potential, please and thank you, I love this too much and blizz is getting rid of unholy dual wield which does upset me a bit, mainly because I couldn't make a frost specced variation like I did with blood, and also, though not ideal or recommended, I was able to tank with this spec in MSV, just by using blood presence, easy to hold aggro and gain mass mob groups threat, I even stole the other tank's thunder, prot pally, single target is hurting, but aoe is very generous for this "variant" of unholy. its actually fun too, but makes you want more diseases and more abilities with the ghoul, oh and I death coil just about as often as I can, screw icy touch, just use plague strike, unholy trans as often as possible, death pact when low on health, and basically spam blood boil in large groups after afflicting one person

Sign in to follow this