FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Yaikai

Considering boosting a shammy, got some experience, details inside

Hey all,

I finally bought WoW for official servers after experimenting on privates for way too long about 3 years ago.

I played a resto shaman for about 3 months before quitting out of boredom.

I've come back about 2 months ago on a fresh server with a fresh Paladin, which I rolled as holy at 90.

But I just can't get over the fact my shaman was more solid.

Anyway, some questions:

What are the differences between Cata and MoP shamans

I'm still not over the fact they removed the totems (or reworked even), how does this affect the playstyle?

What other things changed that I should be aware of other than totems, and how much do they affect the playstyle of shamans.

This has probably been discussed at length prior/during the MoP release, and I apologize for that, but I would like to know for the current patch.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards

Hey there! Thanks for coming here to talk and we'll see if we can persuade you to roll Resto again. :)

Just before we start, I want to say that I don't agree with using private servers and I'd advise you not to start talking about them too much on here. You're welcome to mention them, but we don't provide support for unofficial versions/servers of the game.

I'm still not over the fact they removed the totems (or reworked even), how does this affect the playstyle?

The totems change was a godsend. Basically; where before you dropped your totems once or twice a fight and forgot about them, you're now doing it very often indeed. It adds a bit of skill; you have to make sure not to overwrite your totems (for instance) and ensuring that you're using your totems at the correct time. It takes a bit of planning, especially when you have to balance Healing Tide, Healing Stream, and Mana Tide totems all together.

The totem gameplay focuses strongly on utility; you have only two totems which do damage (three, counting Earth Elemental) and two which heal. The rest are all about choosing the right tool for the right job, and the best Shaman make excellent use of this. Example: Windwalk totem is a talent you can spec into which gives slow/root immunity to your raid - it's fantastic as a situational ability on the bosses in SoO. Earthbind, Capacitor, and Grounding totems all also see frequent use.

The old use for totems (static buffs) has basically been replaced by constant auras from the Shaman; Spell Power, Mastery, Haste, and so on, are all static auras you give. You no longer have to worry that your static buffs are up (or waste GCD's on maintaining them).

If you liked the look of the old style, you can get a glyph to put all your totems down every time you place a totem, so that hasn't changed.

Overall, the totems change has made Shaman feel a lot more dynamic (and you no longer feel pinned to wherever your totems are placed!)

What other things changed that I should be aware of other than totems, and how much do they affect the playstyle of shamans.

Water Shield is no longer run on charges; it's a static aura and never depletes, and it lasts for a whole hour. Weapon imbues also last for an hour now. These are real quality of life changes, they mean you spend less time in a fight worrying about static mandatory buffs like that.

In general, Shaman right now are much more focused on smart healing spells; Chain Heal, (new) Healing Stream Totem, (new) Healing Rain, and so on. It means that in most fights you're looking for ways to optimize your HST and Chain Heal usage. Chain Heal no longer loses power on each bounce, which was actually less fun a change than it sounded (strategy: pick a player to maintain Riptide on, and bounce all Chain Heals off them). However, this has been a massive power gain for us.

Speaking of power gains, we've had a massive gain in raid cooldowns; Ancestral Guidance, Ascendance, Spirit Link Totem, and Healing Tide Totem. So you will spend a lot more time planning when and how to use these optimally. While I like this side of the gameplay, it does feel like we have one too many options right now. (for me, personally)

In general, you tend to spend more time using Chain Heal and Riptide now and less time casting single target (depending on the fight). Skill is still important.

What are the differences between Cata and MoP shamans

Mostly Chain Heal (as I discussed above), but really the power increase. Right now we feel at the high end of the power spectrum (perhaps too much so). If you have a Resto Shammy, you're not likely to feel underpowered on appropriate content for you. That's in stark contrast to how I felt in Cataclysm.

TL:DR;

• Totem change is good
  • QoL changes were awesome for us
  • Chain Heal is easier to use
  • ALL THE COOLDOWNS
  • We're very strong right now
  • Skill still required to use the right spells at the right times

Does that help? :)

• Like 1

Exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for! Thanks a lot :-) I will read it properly when I'm home, cheers mate!

As for the privates, that's in the past, I have a job now :-P

Wow, Stoove went all out on this one.  I agree on most of his points.  Things may seem simpler, but there's still a real complexity at play in Resto shamans right now, and that should run into WoD with the way our smart heals and healing methodology are being changed.  (From top off and mitigation to reactive triage.)

Ok so if I understand correctly totems are cool downs instead of static buffs.

I had an entire post before my phone decided it didn't want to post it and crashed the tab...

But yeah, you made me more tempted again, but how do I leave my paladin behind? She's gonna get crusader tonight (so proud!) and the argent charger, and I'm 5/8 for my judgement transmog... Help? :-(

Also, why do you guys play resto sham over any other healing class?

I don't actually play Resto much.  I play Ele, and have an absolute blast with it.  That may even be another positive; the offspecs are very powerful DPS specs, with Ele being simplistic and Enh being complex.  

Totems are all cooldowns now, and you never need to place them unless you want to.  That being said, they make up a large portion of Resto's gameplay, with Healing Stream totem (15 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown) doing a LARGE portion of your healing.

In my eyes, Resto Shamans are the smarter healer.  We provide what others can't in our totems intelligently healing, changing their targets on each tick.  We also specialize in burst healing, and can glyph to also be a pretty effective HoT healing with Riptide blanketing.  We are the superior reactive healer, with no middle ground (ie: Pallies w/ Illum) and little proactive healing (ie: Priests w/ Absorbs).

Edited by Hybrys

I leveled my old one as enhancement but went resto / elemental after to share gear, so I know about all 3 Specs, and all are fun but I prefer healing and rdps.

Also riptide <3 best healing spell in the game!

Suggestions on the paladin issue?

Suggestions on the paladin issue?

What's your issue with it?  Just that it doesn't feel as solid?

It really may never.  The majority of Paladin healing is fairly passive, reacting to each heal you do.  You could try a Haste and Selfless Healer build for a little more active gameplay, if that's what you're after.  But I'm really not a fan of it, because of the relatively low power, and passiveness of their healing.

Also, why do you guys play resto sham over any other healing class?

Hybrys is right in his assessment about how Resto compares to other healers. I think, really, that in that sense Resto defines what I think a healer should do - react to or anticipate damage, rather than prevent it or blanket HoTs all the time. Honestly, I love the aesthetic of Shaman and their lore and background, their themes visually, and totems in particular. Our Mastery really helps, too - it's a deep and interesting (but simple) mechanic which rewards good reactions and clever healing. Overall, just generally a nice class to play.

Now, as for your Paladin issue: I'd say spend some time playing your Resto Shaman first to make sure you want to play it more. If you're boosting it, get it to 60 first for that extra profession boost. Then just ease yourself into learning Resto again through Proving Grounds and Heroic Dungeons. Find some friends for a Flex or something rather than having your first Resto raid experience through LFR. All of these things will help make the transition easier than just jumping straight to it.

Also, if you're looking for WeakAuras I recommend you look at Hybrys' thread on our forums and also check out the pages I made with my own WA strings.

Other than most people I don't mind LFR at all...

Thanks for all the answers, time to read some guides to catch up on stuff like what the mastery does (Yeah... It's that bad lol) and specs/talents.

1 last thing, what are good professions? (gonna level to 60,got cloth looms and Healer Dungeon spam is brilliant)

Other than most people I don't mind LFR at all...

Thanks for all the answers, time to read some guides to catch up on stuff like what the mastery does (Yeah... It's that bad lol) and specs/talents.

Whelp, looks like you already know what Mastery does...

I'd do a choice between Tailoring, Engineering, Alchemy, or Blacksmithing for your professions.  I'm a big fan of Tailoring, which gives you a sizable Int proc, and I'm madly in love with the tinkers Engineering allows you to have.  (Which includes a controllable sizable int proc.)  Alchemy doubles the duration of flasks, and increases their power slightly, and Blacksmithing is another option, which allows you to get a couple of extra gems, and stack a few more stats.  You're pretty well free to pick anything, as they all give some fairly relative benefits.  Just don't pick the gathering professions.

Edited by Hybrys

Whelp, looks like you already know what Mastery does...

Hehe, gave me a good chuckle ^^

I'll probably pick herbalism related stuff, but I'll do some research first. Keeping WoD in mind, the boosts matter little to nothing to me (not that they did before, but even less now)

Cheers for you help!

Pre-ordered WoD, the 90 boost is staring at me, but I can't come up with a name lol

Thanks for your help all, looking forward to having a 'fire and water' duo with Destro Lock and Resto Shammy!

I have an addition to past points, regarding your Paladin.

I personally have 4 characters I play. 

Warlock, Rogue, Shaman and Death Knight.

Ranged DPS, Melee DPS and PvP, Resto for both PvP and PvE, as well as tank.

I enjoy the change of pace in playstyle once in a while.

You might enjoy it as well, instead of just having 1 character.

So you can have your paladin as an Alt for Arenas and such.

Paladin is a pretty strong 2v2 healer.

Edited by Obscuras

What's your issue with it?  Just that it doesn't feel as solid?

What I meant was, I got crusader and argent charger yesterday, and my transmog is almost complete :-( don't want to leave that behind.

I have an addition to past points, regarding your Paladin.

I personally have 4 characters I play. 

Warlock, Rogue, Shaman and Death Knight.

Ranged DPS, Melee DPS and PvP, Resto for both PvP and PvE, as well as tank.

I enjoy the change of pace in playstyle once in a while.

So you can have your paladin as an Alt for Arenas and such.

Paladin is a pretty strong 2v2 healer.

I Meh at arenas really, wow is all about the pve for me. Might turn her into a tank, it's by far the most fun tank IMHO.

I'll see where it goes in the future, for now my lock is my focus and I'll start my shammy soon-ish when I figure everything out

What I meant was, I got crusader and argent charger yesterday, and my transmog is almost complete :-( don't want to leave that behind.

Oh, you haven't played in a while!  Titles and mounts are account-wide now, meaning that your Shaman can now be Crusader ______, riding your Argent Charger!

Oh, you haven't played in a while!  Titles and mounts are account-wide now, meaning that your Shaman can now be Crusader ______, riding your Argent Charger!

Argent charger isn't account wide mate, paladin specific mount and for some reason not even shared between paladins

Also, I forgot to mention, I have to fight REALLY hard to not go full altoholic, every time I do LFR I want to play ALL of them xD

Argent charger isn't account wide mate, paladin specific mount and for some reason not even shared between paladins

Sorry, you're totally right.  I was thinking about the Argent Warhorse, which is the Charger for the rest of us.

One of my IRL buddies plays a Draeni Paladin, and he was so devastated when they took away his charger (replacing it with a stupid shiny Elekk) that he now spurns all lore as worthless. It makes me chuckle.

Also, man I hate Elekks.

One of my IRL buddies plays a Draeni Paladin, and he was so devastated when they took away his charger (replacing it with a stupid shiny Elekk) that he now spurns all lore as worthless. It makes me chuckle.

Also, man I hate Elekks.

Who could hate the giant sparkle Elekk?!

I love that the flavour exists, but I hate that the choice didn't.  Forcing a change is always bad design.

Well I'm not a Paladin, so I only get the horrible "normal" Elekks. Oh god just look at them. Two parts elephant to one part kitchen appliance and one part horrible rubber mask. They freak me the hell out!

If Warlords doesn't update the Elekk model (mounts included) I'll be somewhat upset.

Current tweets indicate they'll have new models for the various fauna of Draenor, but will not go back and change existing models.  If there's a new elekk model, you'll probably be able to acquire a ride-able one in some way.  Maybe as an Eccentric Explorer's Elekk with repair vendor and class trainer?  Who knows.

On topic, shaman is really fun (all three specs), and if you want to keep doing stuff with your paladin but aren't enjoying holy (I personally couldn't stand it the last time I tried, shaman healing just feels so much more sensible) have you considered trying a new spec on your paladin?  They're quite capable tanks right now (my HoT outheals the boss, hah!), and share a remarkable amount of gear with Retribution from what I understand (they both really, really love haste).  Give it a shot before giving up on paladin.

Of course I have considered other specs, but can't make up my mind on what to do just yet.

Hell I can't even make up my mind about my shaman name...

One of my favoured strategies for coming up with names is picking a related word to your spec and translating it into latin. E.g. for a Resto Shaman you might choose "water" or "heal" and base a name around that.