FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Assassination Rogue 5.4

Guest Tish

I disagree with the opener suggested in this guide. My personal choice is garrote > SnD then straight into the normal rotation. I haven't done any sim testing but many hours with a target dummy seem to show this giving better burst dps at the start of an encounter. Is anyone else with me?

No. Garrote should not be used as an opener. The damage from it is awful, and it is worse than rupture for generating damage from venomous wounds. The only time garrote is useful is when it is used for the silence effect. Ambush or mutilate are better for opening if you actually are going for damage.

Also... Never base anything off of your dps meters from training dummies. Use training dummies to work out rotations, make sure that macros and combat addons are working properly, and to vent frustrations.... do not use them to measure dps.

Hey I was wondering if you still feel that the multi-target/AoE rotation is accurate? I know it's not relevant for most bosses, but it's nice to be able to compete a little bit during trash and other stuff.

I've tried the guide's method, but Crimson Tempest seems fairly lackluster as compared to an envenom + FoK spam.

The latter seems to work fairly well on 5+ mobs that will live for a substantial amount of time. Just curious.

I seem to have strayed too far from the Warlock Forums... Posted Image

Hey I was wondering if you still feel that the multi-target/AoE rotation is accurate? I know it's not relevant for most bosses, but it's nice to be able to compete a little bit during trash and other stuff.

I've tried the guide's method, but Crimson Tempest seems fairly lackluster as compared to an envenom + FoK spam.

The latter seems to work fairly well on 5+ mobs that will live for a substantial amount of time. Just curious.

I seem to have strayed too far from the Warlock Forums... Posted Image

I actually enjoy always using envenom as my filler. It increases my poison proc chance so there's much higher chance that your poison ticks on every mob you are FoKing. Poison proc increase also increases the damage from subsequent poison procs by addding more procs. Crimson tempest doesn't do its job to me ever.

Edited by Dreamrogue

Guest arcade2k13

I can't find an answer on this and my interpretation of the guide here is probably off. Should we still pool energy for Dispatches during Enveom or just spam Dispatch on CD and Envenom at 5?

Hey guys, I have a question about the trinket, Runes of Origination

I just want to make sure I'm using this right. I am an assassination rogue, and it dropped last night. Should I treat it how a windwalker monk would treat it? I tried to reforge my secondary stats to be somewhat even, but make sure that mastery is the highest. Am I doing this right? Any advice? Here is my armory link : http://us.battle.net...aggers/advanced

May want to update the guide. Once you have the legendary meta gem, Haste becomes more valuable than Mastery.

Edited by Roflstab

Hey guys, I have a question about the trinket, Runes of Origination

I just want to make sure I'm using this right. I am an assassination rogue, and it dropped last night. Should I treat it how a windwalker monk would treat it? I tried to reforge my secondary stats to be somewhat even, but make sure that mastery is the highest. Am I doing this right? Any advice? Here is my armory link : http://us.battle.net...aggers/advanced

With the Rune equipped, your stat priority should not change. You want to keep mastery highest, obviously, for it to proc mastery (making it proc something else would greatly reduce the trinket's worth, which is already way below other trinkets of same ilvl because our stats' weights depend each other) but haste will still be better than crit as it influes on the frequency and the number of procs.

May want to update the guide. Once you have the legendary meta gem, Haste becomes more valuable than Mastery.

On real conditions (which implies a sub-100% uptime or multidot and aoe situations), mastery is still ahead of haste, even with the metagem and two RPPM trinkets. Even on Patchwerk-like fights (that don't exist anymore, at all), the best theorical results are obtained by mixing haste and mastery to get a balanced number, rather than simply going with haste.

Hi, I was just wondering why, on the http://icy-veins.com...ilities#opening, you have http://www.wowdb.com/spells/1943 for the finisher... shouldn't you be using http://www.wowhead.com/spell=32645 instead...? I could be wrong, and if I am I apologist.

All this opening takes a lot of lines but in reality it's only 4 globals (well, 5 counting the pre-potion) : once this is done (step 8: "Start your rotation."), you start to do only Envenoms (and Mutilate/Dispatch to build CP) until Rupture is about to fall. But you need to have Slice and Dice on you and Rupture on your target before Envenom-ing.
  • Like 2

I can't find an answer on this and my interpretation of the guide here is probably off. Should we still pool energy for Dispatches during Enveom or just spam Dispatch on CD and Envenom at 5?

I've updated that section a little to insist on not clipping your Envenom buff, which is the really important thing. Once you consider things through that angle, you will realize that Energy pooling is just a consequence of you waiting for your Envenom buff to drop before casting Envenom again.

So, you only pool Energy if you need to wait your Envenom buff to drop, and that applies to both Mutilate and Dispatch (although it happens more often during the sub 35% phase). Now, if your Envenom buff has already dropped when you reached 5 CP, then you should cast Envenom again instantly, and in this case there is no Energy pooling.

Guest Craterhoof

This isn't posted in the macro section. so I figured I would ask: Would it be possible to have this macro:

#show Mutilate

/cast Dispatch

/cast Mutilate

to function as your only CP building button?

On real conditions (which implies a sub-100% uptime or multidot and aoe situations), mastery is still ahead of haste, even with the metagem and two RPPM trinkets. Even on Patchwerk-like fights (that don't exist anymore, at all), the best theorical results are obtained by mixing haste and mastery to get a balanced number, rather than simply going with haste.

Mybad, I was just repeating what many people had told me about haste > mastery. After gearing up considerably and doing testing of my own, you're absolutely right about Mastery being ahead.

Guest Makroshec

This isn't posted in the macro section. so I figured I would ask: Would it be possible to have this macro: #show Mutilate /cast Dispatch /cast Mutilate to function as your only CP building button?

A macro like that will not work.  This is intentional on Blizzards part, to prevent players from building macros as you have described.  Mechanically, when you click this button, if Dispatch is available (whether from proc or sub-35%), it will cast Dispatch properly.  Otherwise it will cause an error and stop the macro.  That means that Mutilate will never have an opportunity to be cast since the macro stops running when it encounters the error.

Guest Sylenia

Thank you for updating this awesome guide!. I think there was another change which you haven't changed yet:

Paralytic poison now stuns at 4 stacks as opposed to:

Stuns the target for 3 seconds at 5 stacks. Does not share Diminishing Returns with most other standard stuns.

Ref from patch notes:

• Paralytic Poison now stuns the target at 4 applications of the poison (down from 5 applications).

I definitely

Thank you for updating this awesome guide!. I think there was another change which you haven't changed yet:

Paralytic poison now stuns at 4 stacks as opposed to:

Stuns the target for 3 seconds at 5 stacks. Does not share Diminishing Returns with most other standard stuns.

Ref from patch notes:

• Paralytic Poison now stuns the target at 4 applications of the poison (down from 5 applications).

Fixed! Thanks a lot smile.png

Guest Jin

I'm not remotely a leet rogue, so pardon my noobishness, but here goes:

I find that Burst of Speed is useful throughout the majority of Boss fights as it allows for on-demand repositioning and quickly getting out of the fire (also kiting when needed).

Blizzard went bat-s**t crazy with putting bad stuff on the ground in MoP and getting out fast helps the healers a lot. Shadowstep seems fairly situational (mostly openers) and has a lengthy CD. It seems like people mostly use it to min/max their dps marginally. As squeezing out an extra bit of dps won't help if you're dead, I can't personally justify switching to SS.

BoS might not get you to the boss instantly, but it's pretty darn quick. Especially with the lower energy cost in 5.4, shouldn't BoS get a little more love?

Next. I saw a guide that said to prioritize Mastery over Expertise. First, if you get dodged you are refunded 80% of the energy. Second, most of Assassination damage is through poisons which Mastery helps and cannot be dodged. I tried it out and my dps went up quite a bit. My iLvl is 480 so it might not apply to BiS rogues, but I was wondering what you all thought about this.

Blizzard went bat-s**t crazy with putting bad stuff on the ground in MoP and getting out fast helps the healers a lot. Shadowstep seems fairly situational (mostly openers) and has a lengthy CD. It seems like people mostly use it to min/max their dps marginally. As squeezing out an extra bit of dps won't help if you're dead, I can't personally justify switching to SS.

Our rogue uses Shadow Step because it's easier to reach and kill adds on bosses like Immersius, Norushen, etc. It's very powerful when you use it well. I'd say that most "getting out of the bad" can be done quickly enough without having to use a speed boost. Usually one tick of the voidzone is normal.

Guest grahbc

Mr Robot has me changing mastery and crit to haste on everything that I don't have haste on. this site says its mastery then haste. which should I go by?

Mr Robot has me changing mastery and crit to haste on everything that I don't have haste on. this site says its mastery then haste. which should I go by?

Dryaan is still recommending Mastery over the other stats, so I'll leave it like that in the guide.

Guest Zeden

Hi, avid rogue player here. I've noticed that on this guide it's still showing mastery over haste. I agree with that, for lower geared toons. But, if an assassination rogue has the legendary cloak, the legendary gem, and the 4 piece tier 16 set bonus, haste is strong enough that it's a dps gain to be put above mastery. Ask mr robot says this and I've even tested it myself, the results favor haste. as for whether or not you choose to mention that on this guide is up to you. I gain nothing from it. =P

Hi, avid rogue player here. I've noticed that on this guide it's still showing mastery over haste. I agree with that, for lower geared toons. But, if an assassination rogue has the legendary cloak, the legendary gem, and the 4 piece tier 16 set bonus, haste is strong enough that it's a dps gain to be put above mastery. Ask mr robot says this and I've even tested it myself, the results favor haste. as for whether or not you choose to mention that on this guide is up to you. I gain nothing from it. =P

Probably worth discussing this on the Rogue subsection of the forums, too :)

Guest vibey

the last trick of the trades macro won't work you need to write noharm instead of help like.

#showtooltip

/cast [@mouseover, noharm] [@focus, noharm] Tricks of the Trade

Guest Isildür

Relating to the professions the http://www.wowdb.com/spells/124551-fur-lining-agility gives 500 agility (compared to 320 offered by the other professions) wouldn't this therefore be the preferred profession?

No, enchanters can make a 180 agi. enchant for bracers. Math time: 500 - 180 = 320. All professions give 320 main status (agi, int, str) or 480 secondary (crit, haste...)

Guest Enuverdablee

Just want to point out that Best in slot section is cut off at the end (some rings are missing and navigation). Tested in Chrome and Firefox.

Guest discobubbles

The comment regarding "subterfuge having no benefit to assassination" may be outdated. with 120 energy subterfuge allows you to cast your stealthed abilities in succession, eg 2x ambush or cheapshot then an ambush. I find this incredibly useful in pvp

Sign in to follow this