FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Edo

Looking for dps advice for affliction warlock

The community here almost exclusively favors warcraftlogs as it makes in depth analysis much easier; if you want better advice and don't want to have Zagam write a three page rant about worldoflogs beneath your post I'd highly recommend giving us a warcraftlogs parse.

The community here almost exclusively favors warcraftlogs as it makes in depth analysis much easier; if you want better advice and don't want to have Zagam write a three page rant about worldoflogs beneath your post I'd highly recommend giving us a warcraftlogs parse.

I'm not that big of an asshole, am I?  Seems my opinions are taken a little harshly...

• Like 2

I'm not that big of an asshole, am I?  Seems my opinions are taken a little harshly...

Not at all, I am not even going to look at a worldoflogs parse past a few minutes. It was in jest.

Downloading Warcraft logs now, I think I have the old file archived.  Zagam, most of the fun is in reading your blunt comments.

• Like 1

Most of my 'blunt' statements are just not sugarcoated, which is what a lot of people expect.  Some, however, take it as me being 'mean' which is just...I don't know, funny to me.  I'm just complete unbiased when you bring me your logs.  You want shit fixed?  I'll tell you how.  I'm not going to hold your hand and say 'it's ok little feller, we'll walk you through step by step on how you press your Haunt keybind.'  I like when people give me stuff clear cut so I tend to do the same.  As long as the community knows I'm not being mean, then you can just post and prepare for the analysis.  Most people come back with huge improvements, so the style must not be awful.

• Like 1

I'm not complaining about your style.  I know you know your stuff, and are nice enough to spend your time helping other people do better.

Edo, here's your analysis.

1 - UA uptime = 93.98%.  Bring this up.  DoTs should never be less than 99%. 

2 - 23 Haunts for 33.25% uptime is subpar. 

3 - Here's your Haunt uptime http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bzGhfxmYnw4y3NgV#fight=7&type=auras&source=8&spells=debuffs&by=target&ability=48181

Why is this so varied?  You should have Haunt up 100% of the time when you have empowered DoTs.  You should also have it up 100% of the time during execute.  Neither were accomplished.

4 - 40 Shadow Trance Soul Shards + 4 at the start meaning you had 44 total to budget.  Soulburn was used 14 times.  This is too high - you need to be manually casting DoTs to refresh instead of relying on Soulburn.  Those Soul Shards are more ideally used on Haunt.  Regardless of that point, you had 44 to use, used Haunt 23 times and Soulburn 14 times.  23 + 14 = 39.  5 missed Soul Shards.

5 - holy hell, you had almost a 30% uptime on Toxic Power.  This is called hitting the RNG jackpot.  Your procs were spaced out enough to almost always have some form of empowered DoTs.  Tempus Repit wasn't nice to you, but you still had some good uptime.  Unfortunately, I don't see your DPS spike with procs.  In fact, you had KTT proc up for 20 consecutive seconds and your DPS went DOWN.  This comes mostly from a lack of snapshotting properly and not utilizing Haunt properly.  Get yourself some weakauras and track your CDs.

Graph of DPS vs procs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bzGhfxmYnw4y3NgV#fight=7&type=damage-done&pins=0%24Main%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%2499223970.0.0.Warlock%24false%24148906%5E0%24Separate%24%23909049%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%2499223970.0.0.Warlock%24false%24146046%5E0%24Separate%24%23a04D8A%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%2499223970.0.0.Warlock%24false%24137590&source=8

It might look good on your charts to be at 418k when you're playing with people that are doing less than 300k in a 3 target fight (dafuq?) but the reality is that you're a big fish in a small pond.  You should be doing over 500k without breaking a sweat on a fight like this.  If you doubled your Haunt uptime (reasonable) and did a better snapshotting job, you could easily break 600-700k.  With the procs you had, an 800k pull could have been possible.

• Like 1

Zagam pretty much covered everything, but it looks like you are not constantly soulswapping in this fight. In multidot fights the trick is to extend your opening dots soulswapping between your targets constantly, with one haunt/MG/DS/Life Tap in between and waiting to swap until about .3-.5 seconds before soul swap expires to put it on a new target. By not prolonging opener dots like this you can't expect big results. Your damage fell forty feet under about half a minute into the fight- if you prolonged this way you could have about 1.5 minutes of opener dots.

I would like to see a screenshot of your UI with a soul swap weakaura along with your major procs- if you know what you are supposed to do on this fight I feel like this is your major issue.

• Like 1

I am the warlock Edo was posting about, he posted on my behalf because I am log-illiterate.

I don't have a UI screenshot, but I film the kills for my team and post them on YouTube.

that is the kill video and you can see how I have done things in the passed.

I am the kind of player that wants to get BETTER, I'm not where near where I need to play affliction, and I would like to be a better aff player. So please let me know how I can improve.

Haunt uptime: I have a really hard time with haunt, I'm going to be honest there. I struggle copying dots over because it seems like dots are running out before I even finish copying everything over, but I am trying! So I don't see how it's possible to constantly copy over dots and have haunt up, but would love to find out!

I am the warlock Edo was posting about, he posted on my behalf because I am log-illiterate.

I don't have a UI screenshot, but I film the kills for my team and post them on YouTube.

that is the kill video and you can see how I have done things in the passed.

I am the kind of player that wants to get BETTER, I'm not where near where I need to play affliction, and I would like to be a better aff player. So please let me know how I can improve.

Haunt uptime: I have a really hard time with haunt, I'm going to be honest there. I struggle copying dots over because it seems like dots are running out before I even finish copying everything over, but I am trying! So I don't see how it's possible to constantly copy over dots and have haunt up, but would love to find out!

You came to the right place if you want to get better, then. I personally started heroic raiding a couple of months ago and I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for the helpful community here.

This guide by itself should give you enough of an idea of the playstyle if i didn't explain it well.

The biggest thing that strikes me is problematic is the lack of soulswap weak aura- I personally have one a bit above my character that is rather large and tracks to the tenth of a second. I also don't see why your pet bar is in the center of your screen as if you removed it you could probably get affdots in a closer range or make it so your unit frames are not in an odd spot. See below as a reference of a somewhat-outdated UI with the soulswap macro pretty much the same:

http://i.imgur.com/eJQAtzw.jpg

• Like 1

The biggest thing that strikes me is problematic is the lack of soulswap weak aura- I personally have one a bit above my character that is rather large and tracks to the tenth of a second. I also don't see why your pet bar is in the center of your screen as if you removed it you could probably get affdots in a closer range or make it so your unit frames are not in an odd spot. See below as a reference of a somewhat-outdated UI with the soulswap macro pretty much the same:

http://i.imgur.com/eJQAtzw.jpg

I am a big freak on not having too much on my screen, never thought about grouping my buffs in a "box" type away and having the timer in the buff box themselves, I will work on that.

Stupid question: What does the Weak Aura for Soul Swap do? I must be really missing something.

I am a big freak on not having too much on my screen, never thought about grouping my buffs in a "box" type away and having the timer in the buff box themselves, I will work on that.

Stupid question: What does the Weak Aura for Soul Swap do? I must be really missing something.

When you soulswap you get a buff for three seconds that allows you to copy the dots to another target. If you go past 3 seconds you lose the soul swap. This is a timer for the buff and when it reaches 0 you can no longer soulswap.