FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4.8 News for Warlocks

You're using the wrong formula if trying to handle trinkets.  Trinket base item level for SoO trinkets is calculated around 553.  The formula is as you said, but out of 553 instead of 463. 

Sockets have no bearing on the stats in regards to item level.  This should be independent of your base calculations.  Mastery, Hit, Expertise, Crit, Haste, Stamina, Intellect, and Spirit will grow with item level - your sockets will not.  The calculations can be done similarly to the trinkets using the logrithmic formula noted for the trinkets but the base value is unknown to me.  If it's 463, then it should be easy to calculate, but I don't think that sounds accurate.

Actually it works out to be pretty exact, you simply have to treat every socket as a 40 point increase when it comes to secondary stats and 80 when it comes to primary.

Take the standard formula, V_463*1.15^((ilvl-463)/15) if you take the example of the HC WF thok chest, the base 463 stats is 480 mastery and 480 crit. Using the above model would put these, disregarding sockets this would put it at 1427 mastery and crit at 580:

480*1.15^((580-463)/15) = 1427.85

If you instead include the sockets at the formerly mentioned value, so the formula becomes:

(480+3*40)*1.15^((580-463)/15)-3*40 = 1664.82

There are likely some rounding error, but the above formula correctly predicts mastery and crit in the example above and on other items I tested it with. Adjusting the value to 80 rather than 40 when accounting for primary stats also make it predict intellect pretty well(within one rounding error).

It even works for trinkets. At 463 BBoY will have 1016 int per stack, or 10160 at 10 stacks.

Using that as the base value, wanting to know what it will be at 580, you get

10160*1.15^((580-463)/15) = 30222.95, whereas using the 553 information gives you 30222.054, a rather small difference.

Edited by steve

Both will scale just like every other spec.  Affliction and Demonology have closed the gap on Destruction at high levels and Affliction can easily win in farmed content that is shorter allowing for its burst to remain higher.  This won't be gamebreaking enough that all the Destro's go Affliction or Demo.

Let it be known that all 3 specs are viable.

• Like 1

It will be fun to see how it plays out for Affliction because it might push some to try the touchier 18,207 bp with the increase in mastery they can hold onto after.  People who dropped Demo when UVLS got nerfed might be able to come back to the greater crit level they can achieve. Destruction has always scaled well, we will only be losing out on our 4pc not scaling with us due to its ICD. All this being said, if you are a 75%ile lock now, you will continue to be a 75%ile lock post boost.  8 ilvls isn't game changing and I don't expect many rerolls because of it.  Play what you are best at fight to fight, not what Sim says.

Well most of my curiosity stems from boredom of farm and being a newbie warlock (started at 5.0 as aff and quit until 5.4 where destro was king).

Well most of my curiosity stems from boredom of farm and being a newbie warlock (started at 5.0 as aff and quit until 5.4 where destro was king).

I did the same essentially but switched to Destro for green fire (ended up loving the spec a lot).  Now I see more of the value fight to fight of having both specs and if you have BBoY you can switch between Destro haste build and 13737 bp Afflic with only a few piece changes. If you are on farm stuff, its a great time to practice both specs.

Let it be known that all 3 specs are viable.

This so much.

Will also let demo hit 18k haste with a bit more ease. But as Zagam said, destro is still gonna be top dog. Fight mechanics play a large role too.

This so much.

Will also let demo hit 18k haste with a bit more ease. But as Zagam said, destro is still gonna be top dog. Fight mechanics play a large role too.

It'll be very different depending on 10 v 25.  Right now, Affliction dominates the 25 man scene because more adds + more add HP = more "padding" in the essence of leaving DoTs up.  In 10 man, Destruction wins because the power of Shadowburn relative to the remaining HP of mobs at 20% is more powerful than it is in 25. 

As heroic groups gain item levels, fight times will decrease dramatically.  If you're killing Malkorok in 3:45 like us, you might see a 3:00 kill time very soon.  This will make Archimode's Vengeance EXTREMELY sexy as the uptime of Dark Soul will go through the roof.  Same for lots of fights - shorter the fight, the better AV gets. 

Affliction and Demonology have played catch up to Destruction, but they've caught up.  All three specs are tied to trinket RNG while Affliction has Nightfall RNG and Demonology has 2pc and Doom crit RNG.  Destruction tends to not be RNG related, so it delivers consistent results if trinket procs are similar.  Because more Haste and Crit give positive benefits to Demo and Aff in regards to RNG, they will continue to close the gap, and in some cases, with good RNG, surpass Destruction.  It will be close in most regards - close enough that you can play whatever the hell you want - which is a good thing since you'll be doing it for about 4-6 more months ;)

Anyone's crystal ball, magic 8-ball, or spidey senses think the patch is Tuesday?

They haven't announced it as of 8:28a EST, so doubtful that it's tomorrow.  Could surprise us though - I put likelihood at 10%.  If I had to throw money at it, my guess would be next Tuesday.

I'd like the new patch hit This week.

I'want my 584ilvl right now! D:

Edited by JvChequer

I was wrong - time to break 580 tomorrow!  I'll be 582 as soon as I upgrade.

If you guys are interested, AMR has created a tool that formulates your highest upgrade.  Just tested it on my character and it came out legit.  Might want to test your character, too, since it runs an algorithm to find your best upgrade rather than just following my list which assumes equal item level.

Click Find upgrades (purple box) and use the drop down box to select Currency and the second drop down to pick Valor Points.  Spend appropriately.

• Like 1

lol i was actually checking this out b4 i came here to mention it. Heres my top ten according to AMR.

NRvBG9F.png

oddly it has my Tier hands above both my warforged shoulders and belt...ill probably still upgrade one of those as my 8th piece.

Of note - weapon is 2x as big of an upgrade than anything else, much as predicted.  They value the cloak 2nd - not sure it's that high on my list.  Chest, Legs, and Helm have more stat budget, but meh. 

As for your point about upgrading gloves over shoulders - notice the point difference.  Gloves = 1824, Shoulders = 1815.  They're equatting that to DPS so you're literally talking about less than 10 DPS difference.  This is, however, according to their DPS algorithm. 

I'm out of the 14 free trial premium stuff.

Can someone put my char Chequer@Azralon on it with Stats value (iNT: 7.5 M: 5 H:4.1 C:4) for me to see If my plans are right or not?

Does ilvl increase do anything to the capes proc chance?

Zag and I were testing this yesterday, iirc we came up with a no on that.

Zag and I were testing this yesterday, iirc we came up with a no on that.

But more haste -> More procs and More int -> proc hit harder

So Theoretically with more gear your Cape tends to be better and better.

But more haste -> More procs and More int -> proc hit harder

So Theoretically with more gear your Cape tends to be better and better.

Yes, but that's haste scaling - not cloak ilvl scaling.

I know stats mean very very little, but I'm sitting on a conference call waiting for it to start.   Would you go with 

#1. DszazFj.png

or 

mCaJdv0.png

Whichever you prefer.

If I had to min max id take more crit on fights with heavy shadow burn usage, and go for higher haste on single target and cleave.

This is due to my personal preference to hit the 10.4k breakpoint, but anecdotal results have led me to value the benefit of crit in certain situations.