FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
clawfury

Warcraft low FPS & AMD R9 290

Hello Folks,

I apologize if something like this has already been posted - I tried the search feature, and did not find anything, so here goes:

I built a new computer earlier this year, and have run into significant issues with World of Warcraft (particularly crashing and low frame rates). Here are the specs:

- Intel i7-4770k at 3.5Ghz, no OC

- Corsair H100i, watercooler on CPU

- 750W Corsair power supply (high performance series)

- 16GB Ram DDR3-1600

- 250GB Corsair SSD (WoW installed on this)

- MSI R9 290 4GB Gaming model

On my old PC (AMD 6950 video, 8GB ram, Phenom 4-core AMD processor) - WoW runs on Ultra with 75+ FPS. On the NEW PC, WoW is lucky to get 40fps in the open world, and I clocked it at 18fps in LFR (Sha of Fear) last night. The only way I get frame rates even this high is by turning down settings.

I've tried everything I can think of and research, here's a list:

- prime95 on processor (checked for instability, heat issues)

- clean sweep (AMD tool) and driver re-install, several times

- tried older versions of catalyst, beta, newer versions

- use GPU-Z to check temps on the GPU - running 65 C while gaming, so no issue

- processor temp checks, also fine

- analyzed crash logs - all seem to point to 3rd party driver issues

I've managed to get the crashing to stop (by turning off some of the AA settings), but frame rates are obviously horrible for such a powerful machine. i would appreciate any advice or ideas you might have - if you need any other information, please let me know, thanks!

The R9 290's have an issue with view distance, nobody has figured out yet exactly what the cause is, but it's likely something that needs to be fixed in the drivers. If you turn your view distance down you'll stop having FPS issues until AMD fixes the issue.

My girlfriend is using a 270x though and doesn't have any issues, so the problem is strictly with the 290/290x.

The R9 290's have an issue with view distance, nobody has figured out yet exactly what the cause is, but it's likely something that needs to be fixed in the drivers. If you turn your view distance down you'll stop having FPS issues until AMD fixes the issue.

My girlfriend is using a 270x though and doesn't have any issues, so the problem is strictly with the 290/290x.

This.  I know quite a few people who've had some luck with trying newer (Beta) or older drivers or trying to swap the Graphics Engine to DirectX 9, but no-one seems to have a solid fix yet.  It's very frustrating.

As a note, it also affects the 280x, so it has to be something with the new Radeon cores.  The 270x is really just a rebrand of the 7870, and thus isn't affected.