FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ulkjin

Arcane

I am planning on going arcane mainly to practice with RoP before WoD and there are some things i am having trouble finding info on

is it still true that I use Frost armor for single and Mage armor for multi target

and I know that mastery is better than haste but is there still a break point i should be going for or should i just go for the break point that my gear is closest to

ty for reading and your help if you choose to    

Hello fellow mage
It would be amazing if you could post your gear as well.
Anyhow imo there is a difference if you are playing 10 man or 25man and how skilled you are.
DPS wise Mastery>Haste,
But in 10man scenarios some haste is important due to less people and more personal responsibility.
I could give more info if we would have your gear.

Purely dps wise you don't really want to be gemming/reforging into haste except if you will need minimal work (like 200haste) for a dot breakpoint.
Pure single target Frost Armor does pull ahead unless you are getting over the GCDcap.

If I missed anything I am hoping voltaa will fill in.
Cheers
Berlinia

Edit: When I say some haste is important I am not saying it's better I mean it's more convenient that way.

Edited by Berlinia

With your gear level you passively gain haste if you actually itemize correctly. Try getting most Haste Mastery pieces you can find.
I would even go as far as replacing your HC WF staff with HC pieces that have haste and mastery.
Gem, reforge wise use AMR and use the following weights (make sure you have Mage Armor selected).

This is the LB breakpoint.
You do sacrifice some mastery to get there but on 10man I believe the extra haste is going to make your life easier.

Cheers
Berlinia

P.S.: small mistake. Set the value of Haste when you have reached the cap over crit. Small mistake by my side

Edited by Berlinia

this is weird when i use the smart pick to get to the 37.52% break point it shows I only need 9522 haste but for yours 13163 are you not using frost armor for this or is is my thing bugging out ? 

I am not using Frost Armor, as you generally tend to not use it as Arcane. In most fights at least.
Go to options to edit which armor you are using
Cheers
Berlinia

No problem.
Good luck with all your future endeavors as a mage!
(Or any other class except a Warlock).
Cheers
Berlinia

No problem.

Good luck with all your future endeavors as a mage!

(Or any other class except a Warlock).

Cheers

Berlinia

Hey, I'm a warlock, AND a mage...I'm insulted :P lol

• Like 2

How can you play both those classes?
That insults me and every other mage here!!! <3
#lorepeople

I'm rather enjoying my Arcane Mage journey.  Something to do during this dull part of the expansion at least.

Yea I would agree that Arcane mage is an extremely fun spec once you get over the part: HOLY FUCK I PRESSED 1 MORE ARCANE BLAST AND NOW I AM CRIPPLED FOR 15 SECONDS!

• Like 1

Yea I would agree that Arcane mage is an extremely fun spec once you get over the part: HOLY FUCK I PRESSED 1 MORE ARCANE BLAST AND NOW I AM CRIPPLED FOR 15 SECONDS!

QFT.  Hardest part of learning the spec.  The knocks on Arcane are silly.  Once you play it, it doesn't matter that it's a 4 button spec - you have to pay attention.  One Arcane Blast cast at the wrong time can cut your DPS big time.  I've found that using my Mana Gem isn't really for mana - it's for when I make a mistake.  Not sure if intended or proper, but I typically sit around 100% mana until I cast AB with 4 charges and /facepalm - but fix it right away with a MG charge.

I use Mana Gem when I am on the pull and waiting for procs and so I have to maybe fish for an extra proc through Arcane Blast.
But yea Arcane is a continuous attention spec, very much unlike Fire. Best Spec in game imo!

How can you play both those classes?

That insults me and every other mage here!!! <3

#lorepeople

Because they're both fun :P didn't start maining a lock til 5.3...for that, blame Zagam, He made a convert out of me xD

• Like 1