FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Discipline Priest 5.4

Ever since PoH only procs DA on crit, and PW: S can crit for double the absorb, crit chance has really become an attractive option, but I think mastery just edges ahead, because of increased absorb and increased healing.

Guest kouby

Even though there are no Major Glyphs that improve your performance in a straightforward way, there are several glyphs we feel you should be made aware of.

Not entirely true. Binding heal is a straight up hps gain, especialy now we've got pretty much unlimited amounts of mana, and is incredibly valuable in 10 man.

Penance should be considered mandatory on any fight that 's got even the slightest amount of movement, which is pretty much every fight.

And I think most priests would argue that the lack of survival cooldowns as disco priest obliges the use of glyph of inner sanctum.

Guest kouby

I also find Halo is extremelly underated by this of guide.

Granted beginners might find it's range sweet spot rather hard to fathom, but contrary to cascade, Halo can hit every single person in the raid, and contrary to what seems to be stated, you do not need to have the whole raid in the 25yard sweet spot for Halo to be powerful.

As said previsouly it can hit all 25 raid members if well positionned, and only having something like 1/3 of the raid around the 25yard sweet spot will provide more burst healing than cascade.

Cascade's animation time does not play in it's favor either as it's easy to predict where the raids life will be at on the first hit, but you'd have to call yourself Nostradamus if you think you can predict without hesitating that the last hits of your cascade will not overheal, which happens to also be the moment when cascade heals the most. And Cascade targets people further away, regardless of actual health.

Whereas Halo is a straighfoward 2 second animation spreading from your cast point.

The only example I can think of where Halo is a no brainer is for Tortos' Quake stomps, but I'm pretty sure in 25man there are some uses for it.

And for people using something like weak auras, a simple white circle on your minimap in the 25y range is an extremely easy to use indicator for positionning, just get a part of your raid on the edge, and the rest of the raid inside the circle, and rejoice Posted Image

Guest kouby

And also, sorry for the multiple posts, but I feal it should be mentionned that Hymn of Hope is, unless I'm much mistaken, the only last active way of increasing yours and others maximum amount of mana, therefore increasing the effectiveness of any %based mana regen tool used while Hymn of Hope buff is active (Shadowfiend, solace, Divine plea, Innervate, Mana tea, etc,...).

Not entirely true. Binding heal is a straight up hps gain, especialy now we've got pretty much unlimited amounts of mana, and is incredibly valuable in 10 man.

Penance should be considered mandatory on any fight that 's got even the slightest amount of movement, which is pretty much every fight.

And I think most priests would argue that the lack of survival cooldowns as disco priest obliges the use of glyph of inner sanctum.

Thank you. Those are all good points, and I'm going to include them in the guide. Much appreciated!

I also find Halo is extremelly underated by this of guide.

Granted beginners might find it's range sweet spot rather hard to fathom, but contrary to cascade, Halo can hit every single person in the raid, and contrary to what seems to be stated, you do not need to have the whole raid in the 25yard sweet spot for Halo to be powerful.

As said previsouly it can hit all 25 raid members if well positionned, and only having something like 1/3 of the raid around the 25yard sweet spot will provide more burst healing than cascade.

Cascade's animation time does not play in it's favor either as it's easy to predict where the raids life will be at on the first hit, but you'd have to call yourself Nostradamus if you think you can predict without hesitating that the last hits of your cascade will not overheal, which happens to also be the moment when cascade heals the most. And Cascade targets people further away, regardless of actual health.

Whereas Halo is a straighfoward 2 second animation spreading from your cast point.

The only example I can think of where Halo is a no brainer is for Tortos' Quake stomps, but I'm pretty sure in 25man there are some uses for it.

And for people using something like weak auras, a simple white circle on your minimap in the 25y range is an extremely easy to use indicator for positionning, just get a part of your raid on the edge, and the rest of the raid inside the circle, and rejoice Posted Image

And also, sorry for the multiple posts, but I feal it should be mentionned that Hymn of Hope is, unless I'm much mistaken, the only last active way of increasing yours and others maximum amount of mana, therefore increasing the effectiveness of any %based mana regen tool used while Hymn of Hope buff is active (Shadowfiend, solace, Divine plea, Innervate, Mana tea, etc,...).

Regarding Halo, we feel that Cascade offers comparable benefits (if slightly lesser) with basically none of the work that Halo requires. To make Halo work in your favour you need to master it, and that is a very difficult process indeed, not to mention that it's very hard to tell if you're actually doing a good job using Halo or not.

We're going to modify that part of the guide a bit, though, to make these things more clear and not make the talent appear so unappealing.

Regarding your second suggestion, this is already mentioned in the guide. We say "This means that you should use it when more healers can get the benefit from it, i.e. when their mana is low and they can use class-specific mana regeneration cooldowns, such as Posted ImageDivine Plea for Holy Paladins. This is because the mana-pool increasing effect of Hymn of Hope increases the potency of mana regeneration cooldowns which are based on maximum mana."

Thank you very much!

Guest Kyle Hall

Not sure if it was stated here anywhere but just wanted to throw this out. Im an alchemist and because of that I got lifeblood (2 min CD that increases haste by 1920). I also specd for power infusion. With siprit shells 1 min cd, I can alternate using power infusion and lifeblood. The first spirit shell I use lifeblood, the second i use power infusion and repeat. Using this little rotation, my healing as gone through the roof from absorbs. It can be a little mana intensive, but I havent found myslef ooming due to this. It's a great way to use those three cds when the circumstance asks for it and a nice little trick for disc specd alchemists!

Not sure if it was stated here anywhere but just wanted to throw this out. Im an alchemist and because of that I got lifeblood (2 min CD that increases haste by 1920). I also specd for power infusion. With siprit shells 1 min cd, I can alternate using power infusion and lifeblood. The first spirit shell I use lifeblood, the second i use power infusion and repeat. Using this little rotation, my healing as gone through the roof from absorbs. It can be a little mana intensive, but I havent found myslef ooming due to this. It's a great way to use those three cds when the circumstance asks for it and a nice little trick for disc specd alchemists!

Isn't that herbalism?

Yes, it is herbalism, and as I have profusely stated in other threads, a small haste increase will never compete with an intellect increase from a crafting profession in terms of total throughput in a raid.

Guest Tinaby

PW:S does not benefit from crit chances unless your target is under Divine Aegis. In other words, PW:S CANNOT crit but has chance equal to your crit rate to absorb twice the damage if your target is under Aegis.

Hence, the healing provided by the glyph can crit and procs Divine Aegis, which basically grants a 20% healing upgrade for the skill (80% absorb from shield + 20% heal from glyph + 20% absorb from aegis).

As i do not play with the glyph, i have to check if under divine aegis you can go to 240% (160 absorb from shield + 40 healing from glyph + 40 absorb from aegis) or only 200% (160 absorb from shield + 20 healing from glyph + 20 absorb from aegis) but my thoughts are you can go to 240%. Anyway, this would rarely happen as it means you have Divine Aegis up on your target (not so easy now you cannot apply it 100% with prayer of healing) and you get a proc on the shield + a crit on the heal from the glyph.

Concerning Halo (2 comments up), the worst point is that it does heal yourself for a ridiculous amount, while Cascade can heal you just the same as the others (unless you cast it on yourself, but i find targetting the tank is nearly most of the time the best option : max heal on tank, casters after the tank, melees after casters, and last casters if there are more).

Guest Tinaby

PW:S does not benefit from crit chances unless your target is under Divine Aegis. In other words, PW:S CANNOT crit but has chance equal to your crit rate to absorb twice the damage if your target is under Aegis.

Just comming back on my own post : actually, PW:S can crit since 5.2. That means you can either crit or gain the bonus from DA. Didn't manage to get both at the same time but may be possible (x3 or x4 ?).

Didn't have time to fully test the glyph but if the shield itself can crit, it's probably not worth looking at it.

Guest Zackarina

Halo and Divine Star is used on more fights than Cascade, Cascade is a better choice if you're into PvP than PvE. I'm not 100% sure about 25-man but I bet Divine Star and Halo is still a better choice.

Divine Star is really strong on fights such as Megaera.

Halo is really strong on Primordius and Tortos.

I've tried Cascade on some fights, it didn't heal much at all. I've seen some Discs with muuch better gear than me using Cascade. Yet I my Halo/Divine Star outheals their Cascade.

I'm playing my priest as an alt in a 2/13H alt group. When I was reading up before, I read that Peneace was better healing for atonement than on a player (barring emergency situations where a quick peace would save someones life)

Then someone told me that penance got a damage nerf. which is why they dont use it for damage any more.

My question is, "Is it really that bad not to use it on CD and instead for healing?" Or is it still viable to use it for damage/spot heal.

Guest Berdine of Arathor

One thing I will mention. I have been working on my disc priest for a very long time. Recently, I have come across disc priests that have beaten me by quite a bit. so I was wondering what was happening, and did some research with world of logs and stuff. Now, I know you guys advocate Mastery>Crit for disc priests in general. But here is my issue.

It looks like every single disc priest that is ranked is doing crit>mastery. As well, even the dude you guys reference at the beginning of the guide as one of the best disc priests in the world, Jhazrun, has crit > mastery.

I think the explanation should be closer to the following:

If you are playing disc and your ilvl is below 515, then Mastery>Crit. Once you get into the 520+ ilvl range, then crit>mastery to take advantage of divine Aegis and the uber atonement you can get out of it. All of the high level disc priests are going crit. life is good there Posted Image

Hello all

I'm just a little confused at the advice to use Prayer of Healing quite a bit. From what I understand it will only target PARTY members not the full RAID team.

I would see this as a pretty useless spell to cast in a raid, as it will only target a possable 5 of the 25 people in the raid.

Is the mouse over text incorrect and it does infact effect the whole raid? or am I missing something here? :)

Thanks in Advance.

Hello all

I'm just a little confused at the advice to use Prayer of Healing quite a bit. From what I understand it will only target PARTY members not the full RAID team.

I would see this as a pretty useless spell to cast in a raid, as it will only target a possable 5 of the 25 people in the raid.

Is the mouse over text incorrect and it does infact effect the whole raid? or am I missing something here? smile.png

Thanks in Advance.

Well, it does indeed only target the 5 people in that group, which is the beauty of the spell.  You have directed AoE healing and in a raid you should make sure your raid leaders know that specific people should be in specific groups for this purpose.  Remember, it heals the players in your TARGETS party.  So if you cast it on someone in a different party than you, it heals that whole party (assuming they are within range)

Its not really useless at all though, because if you think about it most other healing spells only target 5-6 players anyway while this one allows you to direct where it goes.   As disc you use to be able to stack Divine Aegis just by using PoH.

• Like 2

Well, it does indeed only target the 5 people in that group, which is the beauty of the spell.  You have directed AoE healing and in a raid you should make sure your raid leaders know that specific people should be in specific groups for this purpose.  Remember, it heals the players in your TARGETS party.  So if you cast it on someone in a different party than you, it heals that whole party (assuming they are within range)

Its not really useless at all though, because if you think about it most other healing spells only target 5-6 players anyway while this one allows you to direct where it goes.   As disc you use to be able to stack Divine Aegis just by using PoH.

Ahh thankyou this makes a bit more sense now.

I'm using this guide to assist my healing in LFR.. and as I'm sure your aware there is little to none organisation or healing allocations in LFR :)

I guess if I use that spell on randomish people when most of the raid is below 80%ish health I should still get some effective healing out of it.

I already use this spell on Lei-Shen when we are all oragnised into our groups and split to our corners (about the only time I have ever seen group/healer organisation in LFR) in the intermission. So I guess I'm already on track with this :)

Thanks for your quick reply.

Cheers.

Guest Ocaya

I would like to show you the macros I use for both Atonement and regular healing. They save up a ton of space.

I use this for Heal / Smite, PoM / Holy Fire (Or Solace) and Penance.
#showtooltip Penance
/cast [target=mouseover, help] Penance; [harm] Penance

If you simply have the boss as target you can spam atonement healing on him and if you mouseover a friendly target it'll change into the healingspell you selected. This works really good if you've got other important things as a mouseover-macro aswell, such as Purify or Void Swap.

Guest Pental

wow_icon_spell_holy_powerwordshield.jpgPower Word: Shield and wow_icon_spell_holy_devineaegis.jpgDivine Aegis, as well as wow_icon_ability_shaman_astralshift.jpgSpirit Shelland Power Word: Shield can co-exist on the same target at the same time, without any kind of interaction between them. However, you cannot apply Divine Aegis while Spirit Shell is active. This is because Divine Aegis only comes from heals, and Spirit Shell turns your heals into absorption effects.

I am 99% sure the above information from the guide is incorrect. Spirit Shell only turns your Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal and Prayer of Healing into absorption. Divine Aegis can still be applied from other heals such as Cascade, Prayer of Mending, or even attonement.

Guest Ipve

I saw no mention of Divine Star for the t6 talent.

Ladies and gentlemen, DIVINE STAR is your #1 option for all encounters that involve stacking. Protectors, Norushen, Sha of Pride, Galakras, great examples of where Divine Star will both OUTPERFORM cascade/halo, while keeping cost effective becuase you only pop it when you need it, thus if there is only two aoe intensive points during an encounter, you would have only spent 27,000 mana using divine star on them, as opposed to Double that for cascade, and more than triple for halo.

Bottom line- Divine Star is super efficient and was given no word. The top healing priests are using them and you gotta get on board.

OF COURSE, let us not forget, it is on an encounter-to-encounter basis. I still use cascade on a few encounters where people aren't stacked.

Just a minor thing.

Under Healing Rotation, Cooldowns and Abilities, in section 4.3.2, you've got this snippet-

As mentioned in the talents page, wow_icon_spell_shadow_mindtwisting.jpgTwist of Fate interacts favourably with wow_icon_ability_priest_atonement.jpgAtonement healing. The buff is gained whenever you damage a target that is below 20% health, or when you heal a player (indirect Atonement heals count) that is below 20% health.

That 20% should be moved up to 35%, as the talent's been updated.  That's all.

With Archangel up, does your atonement heals more too?

Anyone has a weakaura string to show the cd on AA bit better as well perhaps? like next to your toon.

Guest lichkoff

What do you guys think about disc healing with dps legendary cloak? Diff between both heal and dps cloaks is proc and stats, since stats are 2/3 less important (haste and spirit) healing one and just 1/3 less important stat (haste) in dps one, so in this case dps one will have some advantages. What about the proc? Dps proc deff wont trigger atonement, but will increase dmg done, does the healing proc worth something?

What do you guys think about disc healing with dps legendary cloak? Diff between both heal and dps cloaks is proc and stats, since stats are 2/3 less important (haste and spirit) healing one and just 1/3 less important stat (haste) in dps one, so in this case dps one will have some advantages. What about the proc? Dps proc deff wont trigger atonement, but will increase dmg done, does the healing proc worth something?

Heard this discussion on an episode of FinalBossTv, suggesting that "most Disc priests choose the DPS cloak". I can't comment personally. It would be worth raising this subject in the Priest subforum.

Sign in to follow this