FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Shadow Priest 5.4

Guest RhaenysStormreaver
Just started playing again, haven't played since about a month after cata. I felt so lost lol Thanks for this, I feel less like a noob now lol

With the new build of simcraft I am still showing Haste way ahead of crit...

I am not seeing this in Simcraft, either on the T13H character or the T14H one. In T14H, all 3 secondary stats come really close to each other, but Crit still seems to pull ahead. Can you elaborate on what simulation you are running to get this result?

Just started playing again, haven't played since about a month after cata. I felt so lost lol Thanks for this, I feel less like a noob now lol

You are welcome. We're glad to have helped!

I am not seeing this in Simcraft, either on the T13H character or the T14H one. In T14H, all 3 secondary stats come really close to each other, but Crit still seems to pull ahead. Can you elaborate on what simulation you are running to get this result?

I'm assuming he's simming his own Toon. The BiS stat weights won't have much relevance until he's in BiS gear.

It really needs to be changed to indicate that Haste is extremely important (i.e. reforge everything to Haste) until you reach the SW:P +2 breakpoint (24.97%). After that, you can re-sim yourself to see whether Crit, Haste, or Mastery is better (they're all pretty close, your talent choices and/or current stats may be enough to swing them one way or the other).

How to Priest is definitely the 'go to' theorycraft Priest resource now, especially since they've absorbed the amazing Shadowpriest.com site. They have oodles of data and BiS sets for MoP pre-raid.

For MoP, the best you can offer in terms of reforge priority is:

Below SWP-2 and DP+2 Haste Breakpoints (8085)

Int > Spell Power > Haste > Hit=Spirit > Crit > Mastery

Above SWP-2 and DP+2 Haste Breakpoints (8085)

Int > Spell Power > Hit=Spirit > Crit > Mastery >= Haste

Twintop's data here And yes, haste outweighs hit prior to 24.97%. That's a fair indicator of how good haste actually is. And it's almost twice as valuable as crit. After 24.97% the secondaries are all very close, i.e. crit is only slightly better than mastery/haste. Note, if you're not comfortable reacting immediately to dots missing then you should definitely get hit-capped!

He's also simmed out multi-dot fight weightings:

T14N (below 8085 Haste) showing: Int > Spell Power > Haste > Hit = Spirit > Crit > Mastery

T14H (above 8085 haste) showing: Int > Spell Power > Hit = Spirit > Haste > Crit > Mastery.

I'm noticing a lot of debate in other forums regarding stat weights, it's dangerous territory. Person A and Person B are very unlikely to have the same weights, especially in a dot class. Reforge strategies is as good as it gets until everyone's in identical gear.

If you care enough to get your Toon stat optimized, then you really have to sim yourself. It's like getting a made-to-measure suit compared to a bargain basement ready-to-wear Posted Image Also, reforge sites/add-ons are only as good as the data you give them. If you let them reforge you using their generic weighting then you could well be worse off afterwards.

So, sim sim sim! Or at the very least aim for that 24.97% (8085 at lv90, 2437 at lv85) haste breakpoint, after that you can't really go too far wrong (haste, crit, and mastery are all pretty close).

Twintop posted an excellent Simulationcraft guide on HowToPriest.com. It really is extremely simple to use once you give it a go.

Edited by Stasis
  • Like 1

Guest Swadri

In you rotation you say the following:

Why should I mind blast (MB) if I have fewer than 2 orbs and not fewer than 3 orbs? Other than SWD granting an orb (only if below 20% and no kill), is there something other than MB that gives an orb? Am I missing something here?

Why should I mind blast (MB) if I have fewer than 2 orbs and not fewer than 3 orbs? Other than SWD granting an orb (only if below 20% and no kill), is there something other than MB that gives an orb? Am I missing something here?

Good eye. Yeah, it should be "fewer than 3 orbs". Or ideally, "Cast spell_shadow_unholyfrenzy.jpgMind Blast on cooldown."

You should never delay a MB. If you already had 3 Shadow Orbs then you've ignored Devouring Plague's priority.

Technically the priority should be [Source]:

DP @3 orbs

MB

SW:D <20%

Halo/Sfiend/Mbender

FDCL Mind Spike / Shadow Word: Insanity

SW:P / VT

Mind Flay as filler

Edited by Stasis

In you rotation you say the following:

You are right. It was a type from my part, I've fixed it now. Thank you.

Good eye. Yeah, it should be "fewer than 3 orbs". Or ideally, "Cast spell_shadow_unholyfrenzy.jpgMind Blast on cooldown."

You should never delay a MB. If you already had 3 Shadow Orbs then you've ignored Devouring Plague's priority.

Technically the priority should be [Source]:

DP @3 orbs

MB

SW:D <20%

Halo/Sfiend/Mbender

FDCL Mind Spike / Shadow Word: Insanity

SW:P / VT

Mind Flay as filler

Indeed. We list the priority differently, but we believe that the results are the same. (and we don't include things like Shadowfiend in the rotation)

Hopefully, your post can serve as an alternative viable means to anyone digging deeper.

Thanks!

Guest Boomshakalot

One benefit of Shadow Word: Solace for a Shadow Priest that is not mentioned is that if you are out of mana and your other mana-providing cooldowns aren't available, you can drop out of Shadow form and cast this to cause Holy Damage without costing mana, and regenerating mana simultaneously.

One benefit of Shadow Word: Solace for a Shadow Priest that is not mentioned is that if you are out of mana and your other mana-providing cooldowns aren't available, you can drop out of Shadow form and cast this to cause Holy Damage without costing mana, and regenerating mana simultaneously.

Yikes.... I think just about everything in that post is wrong.

If you cast Vampiric Touch with any regularity you will never run out of mana, ever.... Now if by some chance you find a way to multi-dot with SWP only and Sear constantly and you find yourself low on mana the best thing you can do is cast Dispersion.

• Like 1

Hello, I've checked some other pages regarding the stat priorities. According to "howtopriest.com" (formerly shadowpriest.com), they claim it's this way:

Int = 1.0000

Spirit = 0.5932

Spell Power = 0.8153

Hit = 0.5932

Crit = 0.4068

Haste = 0.7546

Mastery = 0.3751

MMO-Champion:

1 = Intelligence

0.8150 = Spellpower

0.5750 = Spirit / Hit

0.4784 = Haste

0.4513 = Critical Hit

0.4096 = Mastery

These are both pretty reliable sources and usually has good guides, yet IV claims the stat priority is:

• Intellect;

• Hit Rating or Spirit (until 15%);

• Critical Strike Rating;

• Haste Rating;

• Mastery Rating.
Who's wrong? Who's right? Are the IV stat prios meant for Cata or what's the deal with it?

Anyone wanna clear that out for me?

Edited by bobbo101

Guest someguy

this weekend i played a little with my spriest. I had a little problem some times with the spell_priest_mindspike.jpgMind Spike proc. Some times I had other priorities in place to cast ms and when I went to cast was to late and I actually cast and removed my dots. What I come with to solve this problem is do a macro for cast and cancel the spell. The problem is i don't know how to do this, if some one knows would be nice to have this macro in the macro section of the guide.

I just make sure I'm moving so that if the proc goes away then it wont start casting because its not instant.

Guest Noxaeternus

Hey Vlad, I am guessing you mean hit gems and not expertise for Shadow.

Thanks

Hey Vlad, I am guessing you mean hit gems and not expertise for Shadow.

Thanks

Expertise counts as Hit Rating for casters now.

Spiritual Precision is NOT given to shadow priest, only Disc priest, which is very dumb

Shadow priests do get this passive. If you follow the link and check the top-right of the tooltip it will say 'Priest - Shadow Spec'. I think you are confusing the spell with Divine Fury which is the discipline passive.

Guest Pitstains

Hi MadMonk, you are right, I see the spell in my spellbook; however when I put on gear with +spirit, my hit percentage is unchanged.

Guest Darien Blaque

quick question, why would i want glyph of mind spike if you don't actually have mind spike in your single target rotation?

quick question, why would i want glyph of mind spike if you don't actually have mind spike in your single target rotation?

spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light, a tier 3 talent, sometimes gives you procs of instant-cast, mana-free Mind Spikes which do not consume DoTs. If you take this talent (and it is certainly a strong choice at the moment), then the glyph of Mind Spike is a nice boost.

thats fine, but for the glyph to actually be useful you actually have to cast mind spike. when in your single target rotation do you have us casting mind spike? For reference "When you deal damage with Mind Spike, the cast time of your next Mind Blast is reduced by 50% lasting 6 sec. This effect can stack up to 2 times."

No, and the reason for that is that we do not include the alterations to the rotation that come from talents in the initial rotation. If we did so, we'd have to mention each talent in the tier, and the rotation would become inflated and not easily read. We have a section dedicated to the talent in question, where we do advise using Mind Spike.

Guest Darien Blaque

i'm not trying to be difficult, I was just confused at first. so don't take what i am about to say as criticism, its just me trying to help you to be clear. Nowhere in your talent section do you say :If you pick From Darkness, Comes Light, add Mind Spike to your rotation. If you are ok with that, so am I. I just thought I would let you know that I found it to be confusing.

i'm not trying to be difficult, I was just confused at first. so don't take what i am about to say as criticism, its just me trying to help you to be clear. Nowhere in your talent section do you say :If you pick From Darkness, Comes Light, add Mind Spike to your rotation. If you are ok with that, so am I. I just thought I would let you know that I found it to be confusing.

I was referring to this section, actually. It is in the rotation page. We generally try not to speak about the rotation in the talents page (because anyone reading the guide "chronologically" will have no idea what their rotation is to begin with). And don't worry, nothing wrong with commenting/asking/criticising :)

Guest Guest

Little Heads up, your Vamp Touch now grants 3% mana on tick, so if you are multi dotting or single target rotation, you should never go OOM unless you are off-healing raids with Flash Heal Posted Image

Sign in to follow this