FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

[Archived] S6 Hearthstone Low Budget Hunter Control Deck

Guest BRO

Just built up this deck and taking it through its paces in casual play to build up my experience with it. It's proving very effective so far, allowing me to win most of my games.

In rank play, however, I seemed to be paired with better players than casual -- so only winning half my games (win one, lose one), but I suspect that is due to me still learning how to contextually play the deck. With more practice, I anticipate my hit rate going up. (The same was true with the low-budget priest control deck from here -- in the beginning I was not winning all that much, but as I learned how the cards work together, I became very good with it).

Anyways, I really like this deck, because it's robust. It is a control deck, but has a lot of aggression potential in it. You really can go both ways with it, depending on game context.

Also, I looked at the mid-budget and legendary hunter control decks here and they are direct upgrades from this deck. I think mid-budget has only one change (Leeroy Jenkins for one less Crocolisk) and legendary has two changes (Leeroy Jenkins and King Mukla for 1 less Stampeding Kodo and Crocolisk).

So this low-budget control deck is very close to the more expensive decks, making it a solid deck to master and build up when extra cards come in.

Kudos for a solid, well balanced deck.

Just built up this deck and taking it through its paces in casual play to build up my experience with it. It's proving very effective so far, allowing me to win most of my games.

In rank play, however, I seemed to be paired with better players than casual -- so only winning half my games (win one, lose one), but I suspect that is due to me still learning how to contextually play the deck. With more practice, I anticipate my hit rate going up. (The same was true with the low-budget priest control deck from here -- in the beginning I was not winning all that much, but as I learned how the cards work together, I became very good with it).

Anyways, I really like this deck, because it's robust. It is a control deck, but has a lot of aggression potential in it. You really can go both ways with it, depending on game context.

Also, I looked at the mid-budget and legendary hunter control decks here and they are direct upgrades from this deck. I think mid-budget has only one change (Leeroy Jenkins for one less Crocolisk) and legendary has two changes (Leeroy Jenkins and King Mukla for 1 less Stampeding Kodo and Crocolisk).

So this low-budget control deck is very close to the more expensive decks, making it a solid deck to master and build up when extra cards come in.

Kudos for a solid, well balanced deck.

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm glad you're getting better, and I appreciate your kind words!

Guest BRO

Still regularly playing this deck and although I can't (yet) go past Rank 14 with it, it is a very enjoyable deck to play with (and I do win 90% of games in casual play, which is where I mostly practice with it).

I have one question at this point. Given it is such a heavy beast deck, how come Tundra Rhino is left out which gives beasts charge. I would have thought it would have been an important part of the deck.

Also, I picked up a Golden Legendary card (the hunter one with 8/8 charge), but disenchanted to get the 1600 arcane dust to craft any Legendary I want. Leeroy Jenkins was the card I needed to complete the mid-budget Hunter control deck, but I just couldn't craft Leeroy ahead of Ragnaros! So I took Ragnaros instead and put where I would have put Leeroy, but don't know how much synergy is now affected. I know the decks are built for every card to work together (like Leeroy and the hounds).

(Anyways, Ragnaros also completed my mid-budget priest deck, so happy I got a complete deck there too.)

I just can't win with this deck. Maybe im not doing it right, maybe i can't apply its strategies, i dont know what im doing wrong. The absence of AOE removal hurts like hell, besides, a random removal "didn't quite hit the mark". I dont know if a multishot has a place in this deck. I'm finding myself very often without a response, even for the weakest threats on the board, holding on to the unleash the hounds/ starving buzzard combo and even when it does hit, it can't balance the board on my favor anymore. On the strategy says, Look for the low cost cards, mulligan the rest, hold on to animal companion (what would be these low cost? river crocolisk? The others have way too much sinergy to spend head on).   It's hard to stick to animal companion without the coin/4rth card.

But maybe i'm all wrong and doing the wrong thing, there's a guy there in the forum with a fair win ratio. My win ratio before this deck and unleash the hounds nerf was 63% without legendaries (more than 50% win with only basic cards). Now this one gives me 40% win ratio. Never liked tracking too much though. Getting an unleash the hounds just to give away my starving buzzard doesn't help me at all.

I would love some advice and tatics!!!

Thiking about removing tracking and flare to put explosive trap and multishot instead.

Sorry for my bad engish, not my native language.

Edited by lexblow

I just can't win with this deck. Maybe im not doing it right, maybe i can't apply its strategies, i dont know what im doing wrong. The absence of AOE removal hurts like hell, besides, a random removal "didn't quite hit the mark". I dont know if a multishot has a place in this deck. I'm finding myself very often without a response, even for the weakest threats on the board, holding on to the unleash the hounds/ starving buzzard combo and even when it does hit, it can't balance the board on my favor anymore. On the strategy says, Look for the low cost cards, mulligan the rest, hold on to animal companion (what would be these low cost? river crocolisk? The others have way too much sinergy to spend head on).   It's hard to stick to animal companion without the coin/4rth card.
But maybe i'm all wrong and doing the wrong thing, there's a guy there in the forum with a fair win ratio. My win ratio before this deck and unleash the hounds nerf was 63% without legendaries (more than 50% win with only basic cards). Now this one gives me 40% win ratio. Never liked tracking too much though. Getting an unleash the hounds just to give away my starving buzzard doesn't help me at all.

Thiking about removing tracking and flare to put explosive trap and multishot instead.

Post UTH nerf, hunters are much harder to play and generally any mistakes will be really punishing. You can try using MS and Explosive trap, although, multishot will be horrible once you get to higher ranks.

It would be great if you can provide more info about what you are losing against and what cards are you actually keeping - mainly because I can't give you a decent response or advice if you start with "I just can't win". (I lost 10 games in a row vs Zoo - explosive trap is pretty much the way to go for example)

And once again, post UTH nerf, most hunters (IF ANY) you meet past rank 3 play aggro. You can give it a try and see if the play style will suit you better.

Guest BRO

I first followed the advice to attack the enemy hero health as a priority. I kept losing doing this. I realise I had to learn the balance of when to do this. So I tried next to only use my cards to take out minions (which I was used to for other control decks). I still lost, but didn't lose as bad. I did this for couple games, even though I wasn't winning so much. What skill I learned at this point, though, was how my card combos took care of minons. I practiced playing games only attacking hero health. Then I played games only attacking minions. I didn't win so much, but after a while, by instinct, I started to know how to mix and when to attack hero health and when minion. 

That helped me get better. I now can get to rank 13 with this deck. Every month getting better.

A general rule: When you can trade reasonably, you should trade.

Like the opponent has a 6/1 minion on the board, and you have a 1/1 guy out. Hitting the opponent's face with 1/1 is no use, but killing a 6/1 with it is a great trade for you. :)

Okay, i guess i just don't  understand the way this deck should be played, and thats ok for me. Changing to aggro instead.

Poyo, i'm sorry if i looked disrespectful or rude in any way. You're doing a great job! That's maybe just me and my lack of luck and skills. Just to give an example for this dumb dumb mind, what would be an awesome opening, starting hand with this deck? Like pocket aces (AA) in poker, Like 2 innervates and a yeti for druids( more like a QQ), or 4rth card/ring defias and shadowstep for rogues( more like a JJ ), what should i look into this deck, cause only the starving buzzards/unleash the hounds combo isn't doing that world of change for me.

Any advice would be received glady!

Sorry again if i sounded rude or anything.

Edited by lexblow
  • Like 1

Okay, i guess i just don't  understand the way this deck should be played, and thats ok for me. Changing to aggro instead.

Poyo, i'm sorry if i looked disrespectful or rude in any way. You're doing a great job! That's maybe just me and my lack of luck and skills. Just to give an example for this dumb dumb mind, what would be an awesome opening, starting hand with this deck? Like pocket aces (AA) in poker, Like 2 innervates and a yeti for druids( more like a QQ), or 4rth card/ring defias and shadowstep for rogues( more like a JJ ), what should i look into this deck, cause only the starving buzzards/unleash the hounds combo isn't doing that world of change for me.

Any advice would be received glady!

Sorry again if i sounded rude or anything.

Hey, lexblow

No worries, you weren't rude.

As much as I would like to tell you what a perfect hand is, it will always come down to your opponent's deck and play style. For me personally, Pocket Aces are definitely Animal Companions (with The Coin ofc!), but we both know that you will fold your aces when you get 2x Leokk :D

Starving Buzzard is actually a very bad card. It is something you indeed want in mid-late game, but not necessarily in your opening hand as it doesn't do anything useful other than form synergies your mana wont be able to carry out until at least turn 5 (4+coin).

Try to check the mulligan section again as I think I've captured the essence of starting hands.

And once again - Starving Buzzard and Unleash the Hounds combo sucks. This is a potential win condition, card advantage combo or perhaps even a board wipe for your opponent and one really big Hyena, but it is not something you would be happy about in your starting hand. Your start needs to be aggressive, you want Animal Companion / River Crocolisk, possibly even a boar (against defensive hero power), but preferably Tracking (yes... to fish for your Animal Companion for turn 2 with coin :D). And ofc... UTH against aggro decks. (Not to form synergies with it, but simply to recover a lost board)

Also, please check what BRO and Oltier posted above, they make a lot of sense.

Hope this help and once again, no worries, your post wasn't rude or anything.

Regards,

Poyo

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this