FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Affliction Tips & Quirks

I think one thing us Affliction locks should look into is something like what Shadow Priests used to track ticks of Mind Flay. Since the mana cost of Malefic Grasp is based on ticks and not the initiation, it may be worth it to stop it after two ticks to reapply a DoT or Haunt instead of waiting for it to run its course. I'm going to be looking into this this weekend.

I think one thing us Affliction locks should look into is something like what Shadow Priests used to track ticks of Mind Flay. Since the mana cost of Malefic Grasp is based on ticks and not the initiation, it may be worth it to stop it after two ticks to reapply a DoT or Haunt instead of waiting for it to run its course. I'm going to be looking into this this weekend.

I do this already. Not sure about the tukui castbar, but the elvui castbar shows ticks of channeled spells. With the new configuration for ElvUI, the player castbar is now a moveable object, so you can have your castbar where you want it. Edited by Boradan

First, thanks for the info Zagam.

I am just getting back to my lock after leaving him in limbo for most of Cata. I don't want to bore you with the what am I doing wrong questions. I suspect too many things. Instead, I am looking for good ways to evaluate my performance. Mazek is an affliction lock, btw. I find on the level 80 test dummies he does about 12k which is pathetic, I have seen other posts claiming 35k or so.

My real question is how does one evaluate perfomance on test dummies? I did not think World of Logs works on solo for that. Also, any hints on the general process of testing and evaluating dps on a dummy? For hint purposes, i use Ovale.

For reference, the armory link is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/anvilmar/Mazek/simple.

Mostly what I am looking for is a better approach to improvement as opposed to stumbling along. Unfortunately, I do not know too many Warlocks to compare notes with, and this forum seems to be pretty up to date.

Thanks,

Mazek

First, thanks for the info Zagam.

I am just getting back to my lock after leaving him in limbo for most of Cata. I don't want to bore you with the what am I doing wrong questions. I suspect too many things. Instead, I am looking for good ways to evaluate my performance. Mazek is an affliction lock, btw. I find on the level 80 test dummies he does about 12k which is pathetic, I have seen other posts claiming 35k or so.

My real question is how does one evaluate perfomance on test dummies? I did not think World of Logs works on solo for that. Also, any hints on the general process of testing and evaluating dps on a dummy? For hint purposes, i use Ovale.

For reference, the armory link is http://us.battle.net...ar/Mazek/simple.

Mostly what I am looking for is a better approach to improvement as opposed to stumbling along. Unfortunately, I do not know too many Warlocks to compare notes with, and this forum seems to be pretty up to date.

Thanks,

Mazek

Your ilvl is only 376. You arent gonna be able to compete with the people doing 35k+ to dummies since they are HC geared.

Just Keep your DoTs up and dont forget to use curse of elements.

Open with CoE, the SoulBurn>Soul Swap to instantly put your DoTs up, Dark Soul: Misery Haunt and then Maelific grasp as your filler.

Refresh corruption, agony and Unstable Affliction. Its OK to refresh corruption and UA just after they have dropped off, but NEVER let Agony drop off as its stacks will drop to 0. BIG DPS loss doing that.

Cast Haunt when you get nightfall proc and keep casting maelific grasp when not applying a DoT

When target drops below 20% (Wont happen on a dummy) change to drain soul instead of Maelific Grasp. Keep Haunt up 1--% as you are gaining shards more than you can spend by using drain soul. When a DoT is about to run out, reapply it using Soul Burn> Soul Swap. This will reapply all DoTs and allows you to boost your DPS by stopping any from running out.

• Like 1

This site has been so helpful in training me to play affliction. After 5.0.4 Dropped I was like everyone else who didn't take part in the beta "confused and overwhelmed".

Before I came to this site: Damage on 85 Training dummy was 27k dps

After the sites help: Damage on 85 Training Dummy 31k dps

• Like 1

Icy veins it's starting to get bigger and bigger on information, like many ppl said E.J it's alot confused about quantim X with Y.... If you aren't a theorycrafter, you don't belong to that community.

And that's why I keep in touch in Icy Veins and MMO, I did alot of best testing and I play at high level since 2010( hardcore raids). I know alot about my lock and I do all the possibles and impossibles to own on meters. And I'd have to say... keep going help the lock community, and the others ofc Posted Image. But I'm speaking about warlock community because it's the only class that's matter to me.

I would like to give a tips aswell and ask something too, all of us have doubts, we're humans Posted Image

About rotation nothing much to say, you have two ways to do it:

Curse of Elements- Soulburn: Soul Swap- Haunt- Malefic Grasp filler

Curse of Elements- Haunt- Soulburn: Soul Swap- Malefic Grasp filler

Personally I prefer the first one.

When you have some procs such Lightweave or Power Torrent. Or you pop some potion, just refresh your DOT's manually not point to haste a shard on it. Haunt it's too much important. Never let Agony drop off, I don't advice to let drop UA and Corruption too.

About Dark Soul: Misery try use your Haunt when the effect it's active, don't waste Dark Soul IF you don't have Soul Shards to use. Don't use Dark Soul when someone pop Blooldust/ Heroism, will cut off his effect.

About Grimoire go it GoSAC summon your pet if you don't have the buff, and before the fight starts use GoSAC( poor felhunter).

For tracking your DOT's you have many addons capable to do it, I'm loving weak auras I see all my dots on the middle of my screen together with Omni CC. You can always opt for Tell me When, Power Auras.

Use your Doomguard when you have all proc's, effects active your Doom Bolts will it like a truck.

Now my question, Doomguard it's best to use at the begin of the fight or when target reachs 20%? If I'm aware that fight will longs enough to pop 2 Doomguards I will do it at the begin. But if not?

Edited by Vortex

Icy veins it's starting to get bigger and bigger on information, like many ppl said E.J it's alot confused about quantim X with Y.... If you aren't a theorycrafter, you don't belong to that community.

And that's why I keep in touch in Icy Veins and MMO, I did alot of best testing and I play at high level since 2010( hardcore raids). I know alot about my lock and I do all the possibles and impossibles to own on meters. And I'd have to say... keep going help the lock community, and the others ofc Posted Image. But I'm speaking about warlock community because it's the only class that's matter to me.

I would like to give a tips aswell and ask something too, all of us have doubts, we're humans Posted Image

About rotation nothing much to say, you have two ways to do it:

Curse of Elements- Soulburn: Soul Swap- Haunt- Malefic Grasp filler

Curse of Elements- Haunt- Soulburn: Soul Swap- Malefic Grasp filler

Personally I prefer the first one.

When you have some procs such Lightweave or Power Torrent. Or you pop some potion, just refresh your DOT's manually not point to haste a shard on it. Haunt it's too much important. Never let Agony drop off, I don't advice to let drop UA and Corruption too.

About Dark Soul: Misery try use your Haunt when the effect it's active, don't waste Dark Soul IF you don't have Soul Shards to use. Don't use Dark Soul when someone pop Blooldust/ Heroism, will cut off his effect.

About Grimoire go it GoSAC summon your pet if you don't have the buff, and before the fight starts use GoSAC( poor felhunter).

For tracking your DOT's you have many addons capable to do it, I'm loving weak auras I see all my dots on the middle of my screen together with Omni CC. You can always opt for Tell me When, Power Auras.

Use your Doomguard when you have all proc's, effects active your Doom Bolts will it like a truck.

Now my question, Doomguard it's best to use at the begin of the fight or when target reachs 20%? If I'm aware that fight will longs enough to pop 2 Doomguards I will do it at the begin. But if not?

You make a lot of good notes, but I'll recap a few points to be made.

1) Haunt's application IMMEDIATELY affects the damage you do. It is not a buff on you that incorporates snap shots of stats to affect the power of your DoTs. Haunt is a debuff that IMMEDIATELY increases ALL spell damage you do by 25%. The order does not matter on your opening. Just be mindful of Haunt's ridiculously slow travel time.

2) Refreshing DoTs is about to become a whole lot less painful at level 90 when we acquire the passive ability that increases the duration of all DoTs by 50% of it's maximum duration when applied. For example:

Currently:

Agony 5 seconds left

Unstable Affliction 2 seconds left

Corruption 4 seconds left

What we would do here is reapply Unstable Affliction, reapply Corruption, then reapply Agony. Our window of maximum DPS gain is <2 seconds for UA, <3 seconds for Corruption, and <2 seconds for Agony. This makes it so we don't let the DoTs fall off but that we don't refresh them before it's necessary. This makes maximizing DPS tricky but done with proper practice and DoT timers.

At level 90:

Now, anytime you cast a DoT, instead of refreshing to its maximum duration, you'll add up to 50% of the maximum duration to the existing DoT. This GREATLY increases the window of application to maximize DPS and gives you more flexibility in your rotation. For example;

Unstable Affliction's base time is 14 seconds. Before Pandemic, you'd have to refresh your DoT at <2 seconds to maximize your DPS which means you have exactly 2 globals to time it perfectly. Now, no matter when you cast your refreshing UA, you'll have that time added to your DoT like this...

UA has 6 seconds left...when you reapply UA, you'll receive up to 50% of the current DoT's maximum duration + the maximum duration. Therefore, your new UA timer would be 20 seconds, not 14. You can only add 7 seconds of UA in this manner. This works with all DoTs and will be a huge gain to our flexibility while DPSing.

3) There will be some new work done with Dark Soul: Misery. Currently, there is a glyph that allows 10% of it's effect to be passive but not active when on cooldown. Looking at some of the raid fights, they all have "DPS on Demand" phases where bosses take increased damage or an enrage effect is in place. This tends to shove the min/maxers out of using buffs on cooldown and trying more to line them up with increased damage phases. Just remember to NEVER use DS:M while Bloodlust/Timewarp/Heroism is active. You'll gain no additional benefit.

4) Don't always sacrifice your Felhunter. The interrupt ability is awesome for PvP, but very rarely in PvE. Instead, consider sacrificing your Imp if there are a lot of magical debuffs and you'd rather dispel yourself with Singe Magic instead of Unbound Will. Also, consider sacrificing your Voidwalker for an impressive Last Stand like ability where you gain 30% of your maximum life for 20 seconds.

5) Doomguard should always be used as an execute type ability. Remember, you won't get 2 summons in MoP like you did in Tier 13 because you will no longer have your 4 piece T13 set bonus which reduces the cooldown by 4 minutes. We will be back to a '10 minute' cooldown, which is actually just a once-per-attempt cooldown since it resets upon wiping. However, if there is a phase where increased damage occurs, don't hesitate to pop him out then.

You make a lot of good notes, but I'll recap a few points to be made.

1) Haunt's application IMMEDIATELY affects the damage you do. It is not a buff on you that incorporates snap shots of stats to affect the power of your DoTs. Haunt is a debuff that IMMEDIATELY increases ALL spell damage you do by 25%. The order does not matter on your opening. Just be mindful of Haunt's ridiculously slow travel time.

2) Refreshing DoTs is about to become a whole lot less painful at level 90 when we acquire the passive ability that increases the duration of all DoTs by 50% of it's maximum duration when applied. For example:

Currently:

Agony 5 seconds left

Unstable Affliction 2 seconds left

Corruption 4 seconds left

What we would do here is reapply Unstable Affliction, reapply Corruption, then reapply Agony. Our window of maximum DPS gain is <2 seconds for UA, <3 seconds for Corruption, and <2 seconds for Agony. This makes it so we don't let the DoTs fall off but that we don't refresh them before it's necessary. This makes maximizing DPS tricky but done with proper practice and DoT timers.

At level 90:

Now, anytime you cast a DoT, instead of refreshing to its maximum duration, you'll add up to 50% of the maximum duration to the existing DoT. This GREATLY increases the window of application to maximize DPS and gives you more flexibility in your rotation. For example;

Unstable Affliction's base time is 14 seconds. Before Pandemic, you'd have to refresh your DoT at <2 seconds to maximize your DPS which means you have exactly 2 globals to time it perfectly. Now, no matter when you cast your refreshing UA, you'll have that time added to your DoT like this...

UA has 6 seconds left...when you reapply UA, you'll receive up to 50% of the current DoT's maximum duration + the maximum duration. Therefore, your new UA timer would be 20 seconds, not 14. You can only add 7 seconds of UA in this manner. This works with all DoTs and will be a huge gain to our flexibility while DPSing.

3) There will be some new work done with Dark Soul: Misery. Currently, there is a glyph that allows 10% of it's effect to be passive but not active when on cooldown. Looking at some of the raid fights, they all have "DPS on Demand" phases where bosses take increased damage or an enrage effect is in place. This tends to shove the min/maxers out of using buffs on cooldown and trying more to line them up with increased damage phases. Just remember to NEVER use DS:M while Bloodlust/Timewarp/Heroism is active. You'll gain no additional benefit.

4) Don't always sacrifice your Felhunter. The interrupt ability is awesome for PvP, but very rarely in PvE. Instead, consider sacrificing your Imp if there are a lot of magical debuffs and you'd rather dispel yourself with Singe Magic instead of Unbound Will. Also, consider sacrificing your Voidwalker for an impressive Last Stand like ability where you gain 30% of your maximum life for 20 seconds.

5) Doomguard should always be used as an execute type ability. Remember, you won't get 2 summons in MoP like you did in Tier 13 because you will no longer have your 4 piece T13 set bonus which reduces the cooldown by 4 minutes. We will be back to a '10 minute' cooldown, which is actually just a once-per-attempt cooldown since it resets upon wiping. However, if there is a phase where increased damage occurs, don't hesitate to pop him out then.

1) True. You can use Haunt pre-pull like we did on Cata with Shadow Bolt, I wonder if will increase your dps using Haunt first then Dark Soul.

2) I don't like Pandemic only because a reason will be a face-roll spell. Refresh your dots on the right time, requires skill and with pandemic now all people will press UA, Corruption clueless.

4) You can always use Command Demon for you Spell lock, whenever you want.

5)About Doomguard you're right I know about Tier 13, and they did a nice work changing your Doomguard cooldown, now resets on wiping o/ like you said. I ask that because you have to be very lucky to aligh your weapons and cloak ( im tailoring) procs when target reachs 20% hp. If you know what I mean.

I presume the best way to do it, it's pop 2nd potion at that time and pray to the angels for proc's, and pop him( Doomguard).

1) True. You can use Haunt pre-pull like we did on Cata with Shadow Bolt, I wonder if will increase your dps using Haunt first then Dark Soul.

2) I don't like Pandemic only because a reason will be a face-roll spell. Refresh your dots on the right time, requires skill and with pandemic now all people will press UA, Corruption clueless.

4) You can always use Command Demon for you Spell lock, whenever you want.

5)About Doomguard you're right I know about Tier 13, and they did a nice work changing your Doomguard cooldown, now resets on wiping o/ like you said. I ask that because you have to be very lucky to aligh your weapons and cloak ( im tailoring) procs when target reachs 20% hp. If you know what I mean.

I presume the best way to do it, it's pop 2nd potion at that time and pray to the angels for proc's, and pop him( Doomguard).

What you're talking about with your Doomguard to absolutely maximize your DPS is almost never required. I would think lining up the stars to be ever so lucky and have all procs live when you summon your Doomguard would result in an extra 500 to MAYBE 1k DPS. That's not gamechanging, and it certainly would never be required to down a boss. If a boss enrages due to poor DPS, there is probably someone, somewhere in your raid group who could have done better overall to 'shorten' the fight by having higher uptime on DoTs, using the proper rotation, etc. While your efforts to maximize your DPS show how dedicated you are to your Warlock, expecting all buffs up for every Doomguard is an unrealistic approach to progressive raiding.

As for Spell Lock, I know that Command Demon gives you Spell Lock. My argument is that Spell Lock has so little PvE use that you're much better off going for the Shadow Bulwark ability by sacrificing your Voidwalker.

What you're talking about with your Doomguard to absolutely maximize your DPS is almost never required. I would think lining up the stars to be ever so lucky and have all procs live when you summon your Doomguard would result in an extra 500 to MAYBE 1k DPS. That's not gamechanging, and it certainly would never be required to down a boss. If a boss enrages due to poor DPS, there is probably someone, somewhere in your raid group who could have done better overall to 'shorten' the fight by having higher uptime on DoTs, using the proper rotation, etc. While your efforts to maximize your DPS show how dedicated you are to your Warlock, expecting all buffs up for every Doomguard is an unrealistic approach to progressive raiding.

As for Spell Lock, I know that Command Demon gives you Spell Lock. My argument is that Spell Lock has so little PvE use that you're much better off going for the Shadow Bulwark ability by sacrificing your Voidwalker.

Yeah you will only use Spell lock on trash I guess, but tbh I did some raid testing and I don't recall any add you can spell lock him. Because mostly of the bosses are immune to those abilities. Now I understand what you mean, using Voidwalker it's a great tip. We have some really nice cooldowns to survive now UR,SP and DB but one more is never enough.

Thx Guys,

Only problem now is the servers are down for maintenance, lol. What you describe is just the way I need; I understand the theorycraft, but have a lot of trouble translating into real action. So, describing the action and the reason is a terrific help. I will definitely be a frequent visitor here.

Mazek

Edited by Mazek

Are we going to be in the situation where we equip 4X T13, Summon DG and swap back at the pull?

Not sure if it will work as summoning the DG may put you in combat since it needs anenemy to be targetted.....

Are we going to be in the situation where we equip 4X T13, Summon DG and swap back at the pull?

Not sure if it will work as summoning the DG may put you in combat since it needs anenemy to be targetted.....

Doing that would make the Doomguard crappy because you'd have horrible stats. I don't think using lvl 85 gear, no matter what the bonus, will be beneficial at lvl 90.

Thanks Vortex the Weakauras addon is exactly what I have been looking for for months. Now I can put those pesky buffs some where I can actually see them and get the most out of them.

With the weakauras addon I changed my opener a little instead of hitting misery at the start all willy-nilly i wait about 5 or 6 sec and wait for power torrent and velocity to proc. Then I hit misery and refresh dots using SB-SS and during that opener I hit 38k and sustained 33k on the dummy which is another improvement of 2k overall for me.

Damage is still a little all over the place due to soul shards and haunt procs being complete rng but I am making steady improvements. :D

Thanks Vortex the Weakauras addon is exactly what I have been looking for for months. Now I can put those pesky buffs some where I can actually see them and get the most out of them.

With the weakauras addon I changed my opener a little instead of hitting misery at the start all willy-nilly i wait about 5 or 6 sec and wait for power torrent and velocity to proc. Then I hit misery and refresh dots using SB-SS and during that opener I hit 38k and sustained 33k on the dummy which is another improvement of 2k overall for me.

Damage is still a little all over the place due to soul shards and haunt procs being complete rng but I am making steady improvements. Posted Image

This is something I have been wondering about actually, I used to open with CoE, manually apply my dots (Not haunt) and malefic grasp until Power torrent and Lightweave proc and then used Misery + SB:SS + Doomguard, This caused me to be refreshing DoTs about 5 seconds into the original DoTs and it felt really ineffcient so I started using Zagams opener but I'm still pretty confused about how to deal with my Lightweave and Power torrent procs when they proc so fast.

Also a second question, If I apply haunt without a nightfall proc and haunt is on about 6secs left and nightfall procs should I use that nightfall even if I'm on 1 or 2 shards?

Thanks!

Damage is still a little all over the place due to soul shards and haunt procs being complete rng but I am making steady improvements. Posted Image

Glad I could help :).

This is something I have been wondering about actually, I used to open with CoE, manually apply my dots (Not haunt) and malefic grasp until Power torrent and Lightweave proc and then used Misery + SB:SS + Doomguard, This caused me to be refreshing DoTs about 5 seconds into the original DoTs and it felt really ineffcient so I started using Zagams opener but I'm still pretty confused about how to deal with my Lightweave and Power torrent procs when they proc so fast.

Also a second question, If I apply haunt without a nightfall proc and haunt is on about 6secs left and nightfall procs should I use that nightfall even if I'm on 1 or 2 shards?

Thanks!

No, best way to use Haunt it's when left 1-2 sec, when Haunt it's fading and you have Soul Shards to do it you refresh it before it fades. No point to use a nightfall proc's if your Haunt still has 6 seconds remaining.

Don't know if anyone already posted about it. But I recommend you guys to refresh corruption and UA with Felflame. Posted Image

This tip should only be applicable until you hit level 90. After that, refresh your DoTs by reapplying your DoTs due to Pandemic.

Don't Leave us hanging Zagam, Vortex and others. We are all wondering what changes you have made now that you are 90.

I am having trouble with aoe and am in need of major help. Heroic's I am coming in last in pack pulls... DK tank was doing 70k dps per second on packs......

What are the new stat priorities at 90 is it still Mastery Haste Crit? Is there a small haste cap I should shoot for while also stacking as much mastery as possible?

Good question Troket in regards to Stat priority. I've been meaning to ask the same thing since askmrrobot and simcraft have Affloc's prioritizing Haste & Mastery over Hit. I know, right! Heresy? Can someone confirm this? I see that on this Icy-Veins Affloc guide they have stat priority as Int > SP > Hit and then the usual suspects, and then you have a link pointing the person to askmrrobot. And if you do indeed go to Mr Robot, he tells me I should put Hit behind Haste and Mastery.

What the flock? What's an Affloc to do?

As for AEO it depends Troket. If the mobs are > 6 or more, I Souburn + Soul Swap one of the larger mobs and then I Soulburn + Seed of Corruption immediately afterwards. Then I do a Harvest Life on all of 'em to add insult to injury. And then I keep an eye out for low health mobs and use Drain Soul on them to get back shards.

If you have four mobs or less then just SB + SS 'em. I use MG on one and keep tabs on the others and their dots through Tidy Plates and then I Fel Flame those where Unstable Affliction is getting low. I tab over to the lowest health mobs and Drain Soul to get back shards.

That's about the best advice I have. I'd be interested in others to hear what they do. I think Affloc's are doing well with AoE atm. No?

DK's was doing 70k damage on anything with more than 3 mobs and chain pulling with ease and was jumping the whole time... Not to scream nerf but to do 50k takes a lot more effort for me in an aoe situation. So we may be in a good place with aoe but I am not :P

I'm having 0 difficulty doing good AoE trash numbers. I don't AoE in the traditional sense. I've yet to see a massive trash pack that would benefit anything other than Soulburn: Soul Swap spam and Drain Soul to replenish Soul Shards as the target dies. I've yet to get beaten by any class or spec on single target fights. I always come out on top as Affliction. I'm up to a 463 ilvl, so that helps tremendously. I cannot express how much gearing up makes your DPS go up. I'm sitting around 488k HP, 19.5k SP, and 12k Int. The only thing I am finding it difficult to do is to hit cap. Right now, I'm at 13.3%, leaving me to miss raid bosses at a 1.7% rate which I'm uncomfortable with. I may have to bypass gemming Intellect and use my Jewelcrafting gems to hit cap.

Also, in terms of secondary stats, I know there are some discrepencies on different sites. I use the Simulationcraft.org numbers and list their stat weights. The weights I have pinned on these forums are up to date. What each weight means is that is how much DPS you gain per point of secondary stat. For example, a stat weight of 2.000 means you gain 2 DPS for every single point of secondary stat (3000 Haste with a 2.000 weight would be a 6000 DPS gain). So, when I link the stat weights, Mastery is by far larger than Haste and Crit for Affliction. For the other specs, you'll see lower stat weights because those specs are not as good as Affliction is. Shoving all secondary stats to Hit and then Mastery has pushed me to sustain 60k+ DPS on single target fights with relative ease.

Thanks for the advice Zagam. I'm in the same boat with Hit as well. I don't like to miss DOTs on a boss, especially when they're so crucial. I've upped my Mastery as per your suggestion.

Another thing I've changed is the Talent from Archimonde's Vengeance to Kil'Jaeden's Cunning. I'm finding in 5 man's and Scenario's that I'm moving all the time to step out of stuff, and it's nice to never have to lose dps because I have to move and stop channeling. And sure, if we get to that Ultraxion Fight in Mists, I'll be the first to switch back. But for now, and the constant movement I'm seeing in Dungeons and Scenario's, I'm finding K's Cunning to be a lot of fun. Anyone else doing the same?