FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PewPewBoy

Arcane, Please Help me Improve, (logs)

Hey, I'm an Arcane Mage and i am always actively seeking to improve and be as good as i can. I'm currently personally 8/14 Heroic-SoO, and am raid leader for a 5/14 H-SoO group. Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Pewpewboy/advanced

Here is my most recent H-Immerseus Kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o9z6sjapdsyqksvd/sum/damageDone/?s=4058&e=4579
Here is my most recent H-Norushen Kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o9z6sjapdsyqksvd/sum/damageDone/?s=6104&e=6499
Here is my most recent H-Iron Jugg Kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-8ou0t5g3qz51u4cb/sum/damageDone/?s=1270&e=1679

I believe I am pretty decent already but wish to know any single area(s) that i can improve to maximize my performance. Hope some people are able to help me out. smile.png

These aren't the best fights to look at log wise malk or something more sit there and do your rotation is better for looking at your rotation

On Iron jug (I found this to be the easiest to see what's up) your living bomb uptime was a bit low granted it probably will be considering the knock back I'm assuming your group stays in africa once they get knocked back not walk back up to the boss

So that's most likely the reason for lower uptime 3 things u got hit by borer drill a few times same with ricochet and Mortar blast all things u can avoid easily you could have used arcane power 3 times instead of 2 your alter time casts were also lower then it could have been 

I also believe if you went up just a really slight amount of haste you would hit another break point i could be wrong

Good day to you fellow mage.

Your living Bomb uptime on Iron Juggernaut was very very low. 
Let's take the shaman for example named Flubbs.
He has a 357second uptime of flameshock which has a duration of 30 seconds.
Assuming you got knocked back twice, and refreshed living bomb before the knockback he would have it ticking for an additional 2x (30-12) = 36 seconds. 
The time difference between you too is however 357-283 = 74 seconds.

So During the whole encounter you lost 6 whole casts of living bomb (assuming his Flameshock uptime was perfect).

So the prime tip for this encounter would be to always refresh your bomb right before you get knocked to Bangladesh.
And you also didn't have your Bomb up for the first 20 seconds or so of the encounter. Always open up with AB + Living bomb.

Drtain's comment on your Arcane Power usage is incorrect. You did actually pop Arcane Power 3 times. But you did a couple of things wrong at that. For one, you used your Mirror Image while in your Arcane Power. That basically means you wasted a GCD mid a 20% Damage Increase. No need for that is a waste. I can see correct Alter Time usage, just you missed out one Alter Time during your final Arcane Power cast.

Your RoP uptime is very very good. i can see you have gotten the hang of it, however you could improve a bit. Also for IJ Heroic I would recommend taking glyph of evocation and standing in your RoP during the Bangladesh-Phase, just to make healer's life easier. If your healers are fine ignore the above tip.

Another thing you didn't really use is your mana gem. You should pop mana gem right before AT in order to be at full mana when you do your AT burst. HOWEVER. From what I am seeing (and it might be incorrect) you used Alter Time on your Expanded Mind, Tempus Repit, Khadris Toxic Totem, and AP BUT you didn't have any Arcane Missiles procs. Try to wait out using both Arcane Missiles when Alter Time is coming off cooldown(never stay capped though). It might be incorrect what I am saying, but from your logs that seems to be the case).

The last part is you didn't have mage Armor up. That's a huge factor of your dps. 

I would recommend regiving a read to the Icy veins DPS guide and actually study the Mastering your Arcane mage section in the rotation tab. You are going to pick up a huge amount of info.

I hope this has helped
Cheers
Berlinia

• Like 1

The last part is you didn't have mage Armor up. That's a huge factor of your dps.

Sometimes it just doesn't show up in the logs, but if he indeed forgot it, then yes. Definitely huge loss.

• Like 1

Oh wow thanks Drtain, Oltier and Berlinia. Maybe I did forgot my mage armor, sometimes it goes off without even changing spec, for no reason at all or maybe it didn't record it as Oltier said. I also thing the logs i linked were some of the bad examples of my performance.
My opening with a lust on start goes like so; 
-5 Rune or power, -3 arcane power -3 berserking, -2 pre-pot, mirror immages, -1 Arcane Blast Channel 0 bloodlust from ele shaman, 0.3 LB, AB, AB, AB, alter time, missles, missles, AB AB, arcane barrage LB, missles, missles, AB, arcane barrage.

I do notice that I am not using my mana gem enough.

With living bomb is it best to reapply it just after expire or just before?

Good day to you PewPewBoy.

You should revise your opening rotation. Using Arcane power So early makes it so that you lose 3 seconds of 20% damage increase.
it should look like this if at 50% Haste

-3.5 Seconds: RoP
-2.5 Seconds: MI
-2 Seconds: Prepot
- 1.5 Seconds cast Arcane Blast
+0 Seconds Living Bomb
+1 Seconds Arcane Blast
+2 Seconds AP and then procede with rotation.

Concerning mage armor getting removed. Whenever you swap a talent or a glyph it resets your mage Armor. Make a very annoying Weak Aura in the middle of your screen for when your Armor is missing. I have it so it shows a giant ostrich, but you can use a standard weakaura symbol. Just make it big and coloured.

cheers
Berlinia

• Like 1

Hmm, that does make sense and will add a bit more damage, but i like to pop mirror immages with berserking and bloodlust as they scale with the haste. Surely it would be better to post pone MI a little bit. perhaps
-3 Seconds: RoP
-2 Seconds: Prepot

-1.5 Seconds: Arcane Blast
0 (restro-shaman pops blood lust for raid)
0.37 Living Bomb

then Berseking

then Mirror Image

They scale dynamically if I am not mistaken. And the GCD that you spend on MI is best not used at the pull because:

Assume Meta Gem and KTT proc. You spend one GCD on MI. Now you have less time to cast other spells in order for PBoI to proc and you being able to start your really powerful burst of AP + AT.
From a MI only standpoint it would be more worth to use during trinkets.
But the potential loss is just too high.

It's like trying to teach a cat how to swim. If you manage to do it you have something very cool on your hands. But mostly you end up with a dead cat.

Edited by Berlinia