FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AMonkeyCourier

Ret - Log review

It'd be great if someone could do a quick checkup of my logs to let me know if I'm doing anything horribly wrong. Here's an iron jugg fight that I feel would be a good benchmark.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PxFqTXzL19cfBjHb#fight=7&type=summary&source=20

My armoury is here.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Gourdcritic/advanced

Let me know if you need any more information.

From an immature eye, the logs look good! Your basics seem to be great with uptime and spell priority. 

The only thing I'd like to question is your gear. I remember reading that Ret Paladins want to shoot for 17k haste and then start stacking Mastery after that instead of Strength. It could be 16k? It's a little early and I don't have time to really dig deeper since I'm about to be afk all day.

But I believe strength drops off in the SoO tier. Mastery starts taking a commanding lead after you hit a certain haste cap. I think if you took this route you can see an improvement on DPS. 

I'm reforging away from all of the expertise I can. I'd prefer to gem for exp but I'd be overcapped. This is a better alternative to just not taking upgrades over LFR/flex gear.

Edited by AMonkeyCourier

Since you need the haste, it's better to (for now) break the socket bonus on your rings. The most important bonuses will be the +120 or greater ones, That will also allow you to put more Exp+Haste gems in; however you will be lacking a lot of haste simply because of the gear you have, and that's fine. Not much you can do about luck,

Without looking into anything, I already like your DPS. There's probably some areas you could improve if you talked to an elite ret paladin, but I'd be happy with your performances if you were in my raid.

Although you were just in flex so it isn't too important, my only critique would be your Aura Mastery/Hand of Sac/Hand of Prot usage. They're extremely helpful, especially using prot on a tank whos taking a bomb wave, or a shock pulse in AM's case. But again, I'm looking at flex so it probably wasn't your greatest concern.

Nice logs :)

Since you need the haste, it's better to (for now) break the socket bonus on your rings. The most important bonuses will be the +120 or greater ones, That will also allow you to put more Exp+Haste gems in; however you will be lacking a lot of haste simply because of the gear you have, and that's fine. Not much you can do about luck,

I never thought 100 haste was worth 80 strength, but I never really looked into individual stat weights. That seems like the natural next step if it's worth it. I'll look into doing that when I get my next upgrade so I don't have to mess around too much with caps.

Although you were just in flex so it isn't too important, my only critique would be your Aura Mastery/Hand of Sac/Hand of Prot usage. They're extremely helpful, especially using prot on a tank whos taking a bomb wave, or a shock pulse in AM's case. But again, I'm looking at flex so it probably wasn't your greatest concern.

While I use them far more in real raiding situations, I still struggle with optimising the way I use them. Without having identified specific phases to use the cooldowns, would it be best to keep them rolling as much as possible as soon as the appropriate damage is incoming or is it generally better to save them to respond to emergencies?

Edited by AMonkeyCourier

Without having identified specific phases to use the cooldowns, would it be best to keep them rolling as much as possible as soon as the appropriate damage is incoming or is it generally better to save them to respond to emergencies?

Most of these will be reactive after already preparing for certain situations. IE: if a tank is soaking a bomb, he may have to ask you for a BoP since you won't really know (or watching him) when he'll soak it. Hand of Sacrifice is very reactive after noticing the tank is dipping below a comfortable hp %. Every raider should have raid health bars visible on their UI. 

HoP is not that useful in Siege, aside from Fractures, Bomb soaking, Garrote, and Thok interrupts so it's hard to use. Sac is usually best for high tank stacks of dangerous debuffs (especially Siegecrafter) so that whatever debuff they have doesn't cause them to die, and AM is almost always something your raid leader should specify. If you're using it when told and then some, you're doing fine and your raid leader should decide when he believes it'll be most important. Coordinating cooldowns is very important on progression so following a direction is best, then using it when you think is necessary is next.

from what I know (and I could be dreadfully wrong I've not really had much of a problem with it) 2 haste = 1 str. at a certain point but don't ask me what that point is. But I think since you're below the general haste %, you can easily go for the straight haste gem (and as your sockets aren't +str anyway you don't lose anything except the socket bonus both of which will be easily compensated for by the +320 haste

All I know is that 2 haste is worth far more than 1 str at SoO gear levels due to multiplicative scaling on secondary stats but 100:80 seems really borderline to me. How would I go about working this out?

Edited by AMonkeyCourier

*shrug* While I am here to help rets out, I will be blunt and say my knowledge of how numbers work lacks quite a bit, I know a lot of the playstyle in both pve and pvp and I generally know a lot about gearing to a point, but when it comes to raw numbers I'm sadly far behind and I don't really know much of anyone (outside of theck) who could help.

here we go the up to date retcon: http://forums.elitistjerks.com/page/articles.html/_/world-of-warcraft/paladin/ret-54-mop-retribution-concordance-retcon-r85

Edited by Auriel

Those stat weights are surprising. I never thought haste already had such a high value at only T14 gear levels. I'm still dubious on whether  100:80 is reasonable but given that list of weights, it looks like it should be close.

I just know reaching the 17k haste breakpoint is very important with the priority and "rotation" for Ret. It'll also give an extra Hammer of Wrath when using the talent for Avenging Wrath. This alone helps with DPS and overall GCD reduction.

I'll have to wait for more upgrades before I can hit that mark. At the moment, it looks like the lost strength from breaking sockets isn't going to be worth the 700 extra rating that I need.

Just for a general benchmark, AMR on the basic default ret build weighs Str at 4.85 and Haste at 3.  However that maths out.  Obviously 2 haste (at 6 total) is far superior to 1 str.  However, at what point losing "free" strength from socket bonuses outweighs the haste advantage, I do not know.  My algebra-fu is insufficient.  Hope someone more mathy can finish the job?

If those stat weights were correct, losing the socket bonuses in the rings is not worth it, since the value would be:

80 str + 220 haste vs 320 haste

or

80 (4.85) + 220 (3) vs 320 (3)

388 + 660 vs 960

1048 > 960

• Like 1

Assuming the Weights are 1 str = 4.85, and 1 haste = 3

Just for a general benchmark, AMR on the basic default ret build weighs Str at 4.85 and Haste at 3