FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gonlaz

Switched to Disc, questions

Ok due to raid comp I am going to have to switch to disc, which I have done. I read the guide, used AMR and ran lfr wing 1 and the first part of 4 (group wiped of course) but I did pretty good I think on 1, leading healing on the 3 bosses I was there for. I forgot to run logs on it. I did run logs on siegecrafter. We wiped due to all sorts of usual lfr issues but I noticed my healing was horrid.

I am new to this spec and don't expect to be good right away, it's a bit strange but I am going to stay at it (only been disc for like 3 hours total)

I used the cd's suggested in the guide, SS, PS, IF and used archangel on 3 stacks.

I tried to keep Mending up

Tried to keep Shield on someone if I was out of range from tank due to running all over

Used holy fire, penance and smite for my 3 stacks and extra healing

Tried to penance someone when out of range.

I wasn't able to maintain all of the above consistently.

I realize I need lots of practice and work. 

Here is the little raid info I do have:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9cTrjA6FGYQzZNP7#type=healing&source=63

Armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Sacerdotal/advanced

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Welcome to the family. heh

Just took a quick look at your armory before dinner and I'd suggest:

Removing all your Purified and stick w/ what you went w/ in your other pcs.  Red = Potent, Blue = Misty, Yellow = Smooth and in your buckle put in Smooth as well.  You won't need that much spirit in Disc so you can pick up the generally accepted DPS cloak in place of your Healing cloak.  And rearrange your reforges where you have Mastery to Crit.  Change that to Spirit to Crit.  Also If you have the Siege Trinket, it is preferable to the Nazgrim one you have equipped.

At a quick armory glance those are my recommendations.  I'll take a look at your logs later on if someone doesn't come chime in first with some basic "Welcome to Disc" things you should be doing.  

• Like 2

Thanks, I do not have the siegecrafter trink yet sad.png My main is semi retired for the duration of the xpac and while I am doing this I'd like to be the best I can be. 

Will wait for more info from you later and whoever else. 

So spirit to crit and leave mastery where it is?

AMR gave me that "best output" build. Any suggestions on specific weights, etc when reforging?

Edited by gonlaz

Stat weights don't really matter to healers.  Your stat priorities are crit > mastery > haste.  You shouldn't need much spirit, ~9000 or so if you have the healer metagem and siegecrafter trinket. 

I see you dumping a lot of mastery.  You shouldn't really ever need to reforge out of mastery, dump spirit or haste instead.  If you have a crit+mastery piece, don't reforge.

Please use Desperate Prayer.  I recommend picking up PW:Solace and using it on cooldown. 

DPS cloak is a small improvement over healing cloak, but it's really pricey, not THAT MUCH of an improvement, and nobody will blame a healer for using the healing cloak.  Ignore the proc , it's pretty garbage for disc.

Your stat priorities are crit > mastery > haste.  - - - I used that formula via AMR, it had me dump mastery anyway, that confused me

You shouldn't need much spirit, ~9000 or so if you have the healer metagem and siegecrafter trinket. - - - - I do not have the siegecrafter trink

Ok, manually reforged, still end up with 11.4k spirit...too much?

Edited by gonlaz

As a general note of affairs, AMR is pretty terrible for discipline priests, the closest you're going to get is using the "Max output" build, ignoring whatever warnings it gives you regarding ability to react quickly to sudden damage. Like Gwenymph already said you want crit and loads of it. I'll add that you should disregard the gem bonuses on rings and feet and gem pure crit in those.

You don't need to use AMR though. It's a great tool if you need to reach certain caps, but that is not the case for discipline. We don't have specific haste or hit caps that we need to hit. We have a simple priority of crit>mastery>>spirit>haste. Effectively you just have to turn the relatively 'worst' stat into the best you can. Eg on spirit/crit items you reforge spirit to mastery, on spirit/haste you reforge haste into crit.

When it comes to spirit, it's always good to start out with a good chunk of spirit. It means you have some leniency as you get used to the spec. Then you can start reforging out as you get more used to the spec.

Looking only briefly at your logs, your use of Archangel is pretty low. It's ideal uptime is 60%, on that fight you logged you have less than 20% uptime. You want to cast penance and Holy Fire/Power Word: Solace on cooldown. For Penance you should try to get as clos eto 18 ticks per minute and for HF/PW:S the magic number is 6. You had 52 ticks on penance out of a possible 144 and only 6 casts of HF out of a possible 48. Also as an alchemist make damn sure you always use a potion for the additional 320 intellect rolleyes.gif

Generally speaking I'd start to log every fight that you do and analyze what you did on every fight. Nearwen posted some general things to look out for as a discipline priest on logs here: http://sentrytotem.com/classes/priest/priest-healing-self-evaluation-through-logs. The comment adds some additional markers to look out for.

Like Brutal already mentioned, if you can use PW:S once at least every 15 seconds it will give you a better mana income than Mindbender does. AB is generally not preferable to DP as a healing cooldown. It's automatic, but the healing is less and it's an absorption shield instead of hard healing. You should still change to Spectral Guise on encounters where it matters such as Blackfuse and Paragons.

Edited by steve

Nice, thank you for all the info. I have made the suggested changes, about to try a flex 2 and 3 and will hope to improve. Thank you all I appreciate it!