FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Janglybits

Three Trinket Procs on Opener

I'm posting about this because I hate things like this when they come up.  Most of the time the only thing that gets it fixed is getting the word out, so here it is.  A lot of this information is from the Warlock forum over at MMO-C, specifically the Affliction sub-thread.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yrnVZCzYN4q6T7KW#fight=3&type=damage-done&source=18

If you look at that log, and check his buffs, he has 3 trinket procs up during his opener.

People looking into it further have figured out that you can proc PBoI pre-pull by Soulshattering, or you can kill the little tornado cows that spawn when you have Tito out (though that is going to be a huge pain in the ass.  Once PBoI procs, you gear swap it for KTT, and then pull.  It's then possible to get your initial DoT line up with 10 stacks of BBoY, KTT, and Bindings, plus pre-pot and LMG.  This player is adding Dragonwrath weapon swapping and rolling two weapon enchant procs into them as well. 

I already dislike the way Affliction has become (with being dependent on rolling SS around for 2 minutes, and then hoping procs line up) but this is taking it too far. If the chatter gets loud enough, Blizz will hotfix it.

Meh, bugs come and go, if this was during progression race then I would make a fuss over it and harass Blizz to hotfix, but this late in the tier...meh. It's just one more reason why ranking is foolish and pointless.

• Like 2

Unintentional gameplay - it's an exploit, so using it can get you disciplined.  I won't be using it - use at your own peril.

I wouldn't call it a true exploit as such in the sense of getting banned, but it will certainly (hopefully!) get fixed. It's akin to when people were using the t14 4pc to buff the opener. It got fixed, but I don't recall any bans going out!

Just one of the many reasons why I cba playing Affliction this tier.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it a true exploit as such in the sense of getting banned, but it will certainly (hopefully!) get fixed. It's akin to when people were using the t14 4pc to buff the opener. It got fixed, but I don't recall any bans going out!

Just one of the many reasons why I cba playing Affliction this tier.

I hear you.  It's stuff like this that has made me really dislike Affliction since the later half of ToT.  I don't enjoy the SS juggling style, at all.  I don't think the t14 4pc trick was anywhere near this potent, though.  That was a flat 10%.  If I did this, it would put my INT around 110k during my opener.  That's just stupid.  Between stuff like this, and people manipulating fights for ranks, it has taken a lot of the fun out of ranking, in my opinion.  It used to be about solid play, and now it seems like it's about trinket RNG and manipulating the fight to rank.

Exploit != automatic ban.  An exploit is defined as doing anything that is clearly against how the game was intended to be played.  It's pretty clear, through previous actions, that manipulating procs at the start of combat is frowned upon since they removed the T14 - this is just a different version of this type of behavior.  It'll be fixed - but it doesn't argue that it's not an exploit.  It's just not a punishable one unless they decide to punish people.  Some exploits get you banned - some don't.

Also, it would be interesting to measure the potency of this 'trick.'  You're giving up your Amplification which affects all of your DPS for the rest of the battle as well as amplifying everything sans the trinket you're replacing.  Missing out on 10% haste, 10% mastery, and 10% critical hit damage is going to be a lot more punishing than people might think.

Regarding the potency - they do this on the Fallen Protectors. The kill just over 2 minutes, too. 

It's worth it because this fight is all about the opener DoT's being extended for up to 2 minutes via Soul Swap (I know you know this, but not everyone does).

Take a look at the Iron Juggernaut kill, they go with regular trinkets and don't swap to Dragonwrath.

One thing to note is the use of Kafa Press as a pre pot instead of intellect potion. With haste being multiplicative, it seems they have found it to be a gain over plain intellect.

• Like 1

And we wonder why snapshotting is being removed.  People will look for any edge they can get.

• Like 2

Yes it does.

It shares a cooldown lockout of 1 minute with potion of the jade serpent, but also carries a 10 minute cooldown unique to itself.

Yes it does.

It shares a cooldown lockout of 1 minute with potion of the jade serpent, but also carries a 10 minute cooldown unique to itself.

Wow, that's great! So i'll give it a try and get me one in the next couple of days smile.png