FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
almira

Glyph of deep freeze

Hello! I would like to understand more about this the glyph of deep freeze for frost mages because some of my guildmate use this and they do have high dps (410K at level 577) and he never use gylph of icy veins.

Thanks a lot,

Almira

Hello Almira,
To be absolutely honest I do not understand your question. Glyph of Deep Freeze is not a dps increase, except maybe on a stunnable mob with high amounts of health. However Glyph of Icy Veins is a straightup dps increase especially at 577 ilevel. Not using it is sacrificing alot of damage as you can no longer queue it with TimeWarp or Tempus Repit succesfully.

Cheers
Berlinia

• Like 1

Thanks a lot.... So the glyph of deep freeze is very good only on Boss with a lot of ADD like boss 8.

Glyph of Icy Veins Major Glyph

Item Level 25

Major Glyph

Use: Permanently teaches you this glyph.

Your Icy Veins causes your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, Ice Lance, and your Water Elemental's Waterbolt spells to split into 3 smaller bolts that each do 40% damage, instead of increasing spell casting speed.

So if i'm hitting only 1 bosss i should not use this glyph of icy veins because i will no longer benefit on the +20% spell haste but instead have my ice lance, forstfirebolt etc...split into 3.

Icy Veins

Mage - Frost Spec

Instant 3 min cooldown

Requires Mage (Frost)

Accelerates your spellcasting, granting 20% spell haste and reducing the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting by 100%. Lasts 20 sec.

It means that with the glyph, Icy Veins causes your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, Ice Lance, and WE's Waterbolt to deal 20% more damage instead of giving the 20% spell haste.  For more info, see Akraen's 5.4 frost guide.

Thanks a lot.... So the glyph of deep freeze is very good only on Boss with a lot of ADD like boss 8.

Glyph of Icy Veins Major Glyph

Item Level 25

Major Glyph

Use: Permanently teaches you this glyph.

Your Icy Veins causes your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, Ice Lance, and your Water Elemental's Waterbolt spells to split into 3 smaller bolts that each do 40% damage, instead of increasing spell casting speed.

So if i'm hitting only 1 bosss i should not use this glyph of icy veins because i will no longer benefit on the +20% spell haste but instead have my ice lance, forstfirebolt etc...split into 3.

Icy Veins

Mage - Frost Spec

Instant 3 min cooldown

Requires Mage (Frost)

Accelerates your spellcasting, granting 20% spell haste and reducing the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting by 100%. Lasts 20 sec.

Assume Frostbolts hit for 100.000.

With 14242 haste, heroism/Tempus Repit you are already at 1 second Frostbolt cast time, which is a GCD.

If then you add the 20% haste buff from unglyphed Icy-Veins, you will still be at 1 second frostbolt cast time, so you effectively wasted a cooldown.

However, with the glyph you will be casting 3 frostbolts with 40% damage: 40.000+40.000+40.000=120.000, which is 20% higher than the normal Frostbolt damage and you are still around the GCD.

Additionally, your trinkets proc, when a harmful spell hits the boss. Thus, having 3 spell hits instead of one during the same time period triples the chance of your trinkets to proc.

Glyph of Deep Freeze is an utter waste in any PVE scenaro. There are far better glyphs than that (Cone of Cold, Icy Veins, Water Elemental, Evocation, Splitting Ice)

And even if that guy uses different glyphs, that could be a reason for 5k DPS difference maximum. And I think I even said too much now.

Does your guild do PvP? They might have forgotten to replace the glyph when in the PvE instance.

I remember Deep Freeze dealing damage when the target is immune to the stun (wotlk expansion), but that was removed.

The glyph of deep Freeze is not good in any SoO fight in my opinion. Even at spoils it's much more beneficial to use your Fingers of Frost proc in order to  damage 2 adds using Glyph of Splitting Ice, Glyph of Icy Veins for the bosses and Glyph of Cone of Cold for high burst AoE.

The glyph of deep Freeze is not good in any SoO fight in my opinion. Even at spoils it's much more beneficial to use your Fingers of Frost proc in order to  damage 2 adds using Glyph of Splitting Ice, Glyph of Icy Veins for the bosses and Glyph of Cone of Cold for high burst AoE.

It might come in handy if you're on grunt duty on hc galakras. However, doing grunts in frost spec is ill advised tongue.png But if you're arcane or fire then the glyph is quite useful.

meh even then. It's useful, but not powerful and definatelly not a dps increase

It might come in handy if you're on grunt duty on hc galakras. However, doing grunts in frost spec is ill advised tongue.png But if you're arcane or fire then the glyph is quite useful.

If you are on grunt duty on Galakras, you should start looking for a new raid group.. :D

Thanks a lot! Oltier thanks for that clear explanation. Glyph of icy veins is for more dps increase, i also did some test using training dummy and found a 25,000 difference (with glyph of icy veins).

Thanks to all,

here a link in my character i play in tw-wrathbringer server.

http://tw.battle.net/wow/zh/character/憤怒使者/Mirayun/simple

Wow, I have never seen this much 憤怒使者s (the random symbols to me) on one wow site. I think you are the first TW player around here who I could help :)

If you are on grunt duty on Galakras, you should start looking for a new raid group.. biggrin.png

If only you had the luxury of choosing in 10 mans cool.png

Truth be told Frost Mages are one of the best classes for Grunt duty in 10man as they can Kite the sucker pretty well ^^

Indeed they can, but!

1. You loose a LOT of dps on the mobs below, because orb doesn't reach them.

2. While arcane can't really kite the grunt (although slow glyph makes it happen), they don't need to! Nova + deep freeze (coordinate with your team mate to not dps the grunt before he's in the deep), bomb + ice lance will cut at his hp like a hot knife through butter. And if you're at 4 stacks then that sucker is finished.

Edited by lynx