FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
grumbachr

Thoughts on of adding Tank or Healer spec

I only and always play a DPS spec, as a Destruction Warlock or  Ret Pally or any spec I ways choose DPS.  I know I have more to learn on my main specs  but sometimes I just don't feel like playing those characters.  As someday I need a quick fix and don't want to sit around in a queue for what seems like hours.   I'm considering either leveling something new as a healer/tank or switching/off spec'ing  something I have now. I know I can off spec my Pally's to Tank or Heal  and I have a 530ish Balance Druid that I guess could go either way.    I do have a DK  I could do something with also. 

But I'm here asking to see if  my expectations real.   Can I casually be either a tank or healer, at a respectable level, or do they take more dedication  to preform well, at a higher level.  If the level I want to achieve is only to do  LFR (why would anyone want LFR?) or Flex.  

The main goal would to be useful and be able to contribute at a respectable level to whatever group I choose.  

Do you have an opinion on which is more forgiving to mistakes?  Which might have an easier learning curve?  Is there a class/spec not mentioned that is more forgiving to casually play in a tank or healer role? Or any general words of wisdom? 

TIA.  

Personally I think healing would be the most forgiving and least stressful role after a DPS since there are multiple healers instead of just 1-2 tanks. I am a main spec healing and I find it very rewarding knowing that you can keep players alive if they were to make a mistake. Also, the queue time for a LFR is remarkably quick! 

DPS ends up being a lot more forgiving, just because of the density of the population in an instance (3/5 players are DPS) or LFR (15/25 players are DPS).

That being said, don't be afraid of trying it out!  It's not really that difficult, or that much of a difference in come cases, from playing a DPS.  You just have to get a feel for it, and it'll feel even better when you accomplish things.

Being skilled and being casual aren't as exclusive to each other as most people tend to say.  Sure, skill increases with time spent, but that doesn't mean that you can't be good enough to accomplish your goals (or even excel at your goals) on any toon you damn well please.  I don't think being a 'good' tank/healer is any 'harder' than being a 'good' DPS, and the barrier to entry will be the same.  The most positive thing is that you're worrying about it, and just doing that puts you head and shoulders above 50% of the community.

If you're looking to try something out, the tanks with the lowest barrier to entry are Prot Warriors and Bear Druids.  They both have very basic and strict rotations, as well as two very distinct active mitigation abilities, and perform fairly well in this current patch.  The healers with the lowest barrier to entry are Resto Shamans and Holy Paladins.  Resto is going to be significantly easier, because a lot of their healing is semi-passive, coming from their totems.  Holy is not as easy, with a resource to manage, but you can easily catch up when you need to by using those mechanics.

Edit: There goes Geoda, beating me to the punch again.

• Like 1

I want to agree with what Hybrys said about bear tanks being very easy to pick up.  I currently have a prot warrior, DK, and bear tank at 90 that have all tanked various parts of SoO both normal and heroic.

In my opinion, the bear is by far the easiest and most forgiving.  If you are hit / expertise capped and gear for crit, you will have so much rage you won't know what to do with it all.  It makes it very easy to keep your savage defense up and still have plenty of leftover rage to use for other things.

Obviously you should try a DK tank, because they're the best tank! Healing is fun too, but DK tanking is where it's at.

• Like 1

I love healing, but that pales in comparison to how much i love to tank.

In both situations you have a certain responsibility and doing your job is quite important. (well, mayb not so much in lfr)

If I were you I would go for BLood DK.

In my opinion Blood DKs are not too hard to understand yet they are versatile. once you get the hang of healing and/or tanking it becomes easy. this goes for nearly all class-specs.

Since you have never tanked or healed before I advise you to practice first. dont go LFR right off the bat, people are harsh and mistakes are easily made. Instead try to start off with some dungeons (HC or not) to get the hang of having to heal people or keeping agro.

Proving grounds is also a good test for yourself. I have only done the tank proving grounds and I must admit it becomes quite challenging.

Cheers to you and GL