FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
john0005

Understanding low DPS

Hi, I basically want to know why my DPS for my frost mage is incredibly low.

I have a 563 ilvl and i've done the necessary reforging/enchanting, but my DPS is still lacking.

I can hold about 235k on a dummy with a flask, prepotting, (no time warp).

I don't generally use alter time at all because I feel it is a small DPS gain over a short amount of time and won't change the long term numbers.

I was wondering if I could get some help to improve my DPS or if this seems normal.

Any help/advice to get started would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I basically want to know why my DPS for my frost mage is incredibly low.

I have a 563 ilvl and i've done the necessary reforging/enchanting, but my DPS is still lacking.

I can hold about 235k on a dummy with a flask, prepotting, (no time warp).

I don't generally use alter time at all because I feel it is a small DPS gain over a short amount of time and won't change the long term numbers.

I was wondering if I could get some help to improve my DPS or if this seems normal.

Any help/advice to get started would be appreciated, thanks.

Alter time is very important DPS cooldown!

That being said, without any combat logs (preferably from Malkorok) we can't really help you too much.

Hey john,

Alter Time over a 6 minute fight can result to a 10-12% DPS increase if I am not mistaken.

But idd just hop on LFR Malkorok and show what you are doing. Get to Warcraftlogs.com (not World of logs please), and there is a Client to be downloaded there. We shall be happy to assist you :)

CHeers
Berlinia

P.S: I transfered to EU - Silvermoon so my name is actually Berlinia <3

Wait, is there something wrong with using a training dummy to test out DPS?

Yep, it's not realistic and you are missing lots of buffs (especially haste buff, and spell dmg increase debuff on the boss).

I wouldn't say missing Mastery or the spell dmg increase on the boss are bad for the training dummy, as those don't affect the playstyle. However missing Haste buff is huge, as 5% haste means faster casts and generally a different feel.

Sorry to spam this post, but I just did Malkorok and I forgot to do the /combatlog to get the actual recording done, so I'll try again in a bit. But basically I just wanted to say I hit 280k w/o alter time. I'd imagine with it I'd hit 300 or more.

I guess I just wanted some initial thoughts on this so far and I'll put up a chart soon.

Alright well here is my log that I managed to get off, it wasn't as good as my first attempt seeing as how I dropped 10k lower in DPS, but again it can be improved.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mZc8wXBaHW1bL7pg

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey John,
Generally when you request for help, it is really handy to provide a link to your battle net link so we can see any problems in your gearing/reforging/gemming. Now I went on and found you through WCL, but it's alot less of a hassle if you provide it.

Gearing wise: You are 1% over the hitcap. That's quite some wasted stats. Try removing some expertise gems you might have. For example you can put two Haste Gems on your shoulders, and ignore the 120 int socket bonus.

Malkorok Parse

1. It seems to me you didn't have your Water Elemental up. That's a huge dps increase.

2. Excellent uptime of Living Bomb my friend. Kudos to you.

3. Your uptime on invoker's energy looks good as well. However you have 4 casts of it in a 3:43 fight. Assuming you want to have cast evocation 5 seconds before the pull, you would had cast it at 55, 1:50, 2:45, 3:40. As the fight duration is 3:43, I assume you recast evocation very close before the boss died. If you see the boss is going to die in 10 seconds or so, don't bother casting invocation. But this is very minor.

4. Good FoF to Ice Lance casts, and a minor 30 Brain Freeze buffs over 28 Frostfire bolt casts.

Basically your post is a nightmare to answer as you do the basic stuff right. Now I have to go over to more specific stuff which I basically don't have the time to do at this time xD.

Gimme a couple of days and I shall return to you.
Cheers
Berlinia

Ah I don't know how I didn't have it up during the fight, that is definitely a big mistake on my part which should not happen.

As for gear, if you checked my armory through askmrrobot then you might need to select update from armory to update it as I had a solid 15% on hit as well as those two haste gems in my shoulder (don't know why it hasn't updated before.)

Thanks for the information on maximizing invocation and for living bomb I could easily get that to 100% uptime on Malk.

I'm looking forward to hearing what else you have to say in greater detail as to what I should be doing (I imagine it will be using alter time correctly.)

Also, sorry about not posting the armory before didn't know it would be needed, but here it is for easier acccess: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Yaboinik/simple

I am half greek and half dutch, so today is not gonna make it :P
World Cup is devouring my soul.