FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grimmell

[Arcane] Dps Improvement

Hey guys, I have seen a few people get help with dps and generally being a better mage and I was wondering if you could possibly take a look at my logs and tell me what I could improve on. 

I started raiding with a new guild and this is the first time I have ever had logs, I do not think I am doing well enough for my ilvl (577).

Armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Grimmell/advanced

Logs(Grimmell) http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DrCNg9FMWcKt2XYd

I would appreciate any help, if anything stands out please let me know. 

Thanks!

Hello Grimmel,

This log is blank for me.
Is that a bug only I experience or what?!
Cheers

I will grant that I've never played Arcane in Heroics, but your Rune of Power uptime seems just a little low, so try to plan your movement a bit better to maximize the time in your Rune.

On Iron Juggernaut at least, your Living Bomb uptime was only 88.19%. This should be at or near 100%, unless your group does the "run away and hide" strat in phase 2.

That's all I can really see, but I'm not an expert on Arcane. Voltaa, HELP!

Apologies, I wrote a more detailed post this morning, but I guess I forgot to press submit as it's not here. I will try to say again what I said this morning.

Looking at the Iron Jug fight, I can see you didn't use the run away technique. As such your Living Bomb uptime could be higher. The other Arcane Mage in your group managed to keep their bomb up 93% of the time where as your up time was 88%.

The others things are all minor but should add up to help close the gap between you and the other Arcane Mage who had an extra 100k DPS / did 30M more damage than you as there is only 3 ilvls between you.

Comparing the two of you, the other Mage has 30 more casts of Arcane Blast than you (68 vs 98). This could be due to play styles but also due to stats. I remember seeing the other mage was rocking more haste than you. The other A. Mage had enough haste to reach the +4 ticks for Living Bomb when the Legendary Meta Gem proc'ed but they also swapped into Frost Armor for and extra 7% haste. Frost Armor is currently considered best for pure single target fights such as this. As well as getting more ticks from Living Bomb, there are also going to fit more Arcane Blast casts in to the fight.

I can also see they too Ice Flows for the movement talent allowing them to get some more Arcane Blast casts in while you were using Blazing Speed to get to where you wanted to be.

Finally, the other thing I saw was mana management. I would guess you averaged about 90% available mana for most of the fight where as the other mage was about 80-85%. My guess is your rotation was to get to 4 stacks of Arcane Charge, possibly using your Missiles to build a charge and then using Arcane Barrage as soon as you are out of missile procs. Simulation Craft testing has shown on single target fights, you should be banking missile procs where possible and then weaving the missile procs in with extra Arcane Blast casts until you use all your missile / profound magic procs or you reach 80% mana. Basically staying at 4 stack as long as possible so everything hits harder. If you have multiple targets then you should be letting go of the charges ASAP for the cleave damage.

That's all I can remember from this morning. Sorry for messing up my original post that had more detail in it.

Thank you guys for the responses, I will try out everything in the next raid. I have now switched to ice flows and I do now switch to frost armor for single target fights. I need to work on my uptimes for both living bomb and rune of power. Even when doing all this im still behind on garrosh progression, but that may be down to the crazy amount of lag i get whenever he does any ability... 

Frost armor is only better in Iron Jugger

Try to reach near 100% of rune of power uptime

Try to better manage your mana and charges as explained previously.

Also, ask the other arcane mage in your core, for tips.

Mistaken Dokem,

Apparently Frost Armor is better than Mage Armor in almost all situations.

There is a more elaborate post incomming concerning this

Mistaken Dokem,

Apparently Frost Armor is better than Mage Armor in almost all situations.

There is a more elaborate post incomming concerning this

While this is correct, two things should be noted:

1. Playing with frost armor (and shorter casts) is significantly harder due to having to react to mana levels faster. On the other hand it eases up movement.

2. Whatever difference you gain from switching to frost armor is probably smaller than you could gain from other things, unless you're already quite good with the spec.

Hey Grimmel,

I apologize for me taking so long to reply to your post, that's why I am going to make an extra long out of it :)
I am not going to point out low RoP uptime, i figure you can find that out yourself.
Immerseus

Okay so what I see here is something alot of us fall in doing. 
You do so much damage on the adds that you pretty much ignore immerseus.
You also don't do it efficiently. So there are two questions that arise here: Do you cast Cone of Cold glyphed often enough? If not do that cause it's better than AE.
Do you use Glyph of AE to reach further away mobs?
Do you position yourself correctly?
I can not point out where I see you do not, but that;s the impression i get. 

So remember. AoEing is good, but you have to hit more than just 1 target with it! Position yourself correctly and all your worries shall go away.

The Fallen Protectors

The first mistake you do here is huge. Use Nether Tempest as any spec and simply dot EVERYTHING. I mean if Nether Tempest is going to tick for it's full duration (even 50% of the duration) just apply it on the mob. The only mobs I don't apply it on are the small sha's that spawn during Sun intermission. Those I just AE + CoC,

You can see a huge dps increase with using Nether Tempest. And now the second part. Your uptimes are really really low. You want to keep as high uptime on the bosses as possible. Fixing those two things can account as much as 200k increased dps on this boss. In order to manage it I recommend using the boss frames (if you are using ElvUI and tracking NT on them).

As far as mana management is concerned you are doing a pretty good job at it so Kudo's to you!

Sha of Pride

I don't have specific info here, as for example whyich prison group you were assigned to.

What I can see though is your living bomb uptime is quite low. You need to track it, and I can;t tell you how to do that other than by using weak auras which I assume you already do. On sha you can easily have 90%+ uptime on LB even if you get chain Banish/Prisoned.

You also have low RoP uptime. Which means you generally aren't efficient enough to move when something happens. 
An example of Sha is: When Prison is incoming in 10 seconds you don't just wait out and then when Prison happens you OMG FUCKING HELL Blink Blink Blazing Speed Free person Nitro Boots back. You pick iceflows and you preset ROP on the position you are going to go. The reason I do that is that if the other free-er fucks up and I stay more than 2 seconds on the other position I can merily do dps without caring about mana. You fall pretty low on mana at time so be careful at that!

Iron Juggernaut

Nothing major there. Just a slight improvement on RoP and Living Bomb uptimes. The first can be fixed by Ice Floes the second by Weak auras.

Dark Shamans

Once again there are low LB uptimes. And on top of that you cast Living Bomb 4 times on your burst. That is a wasted GCD as it only deals damage on the first 3 targets you apply it on (or it ignores the last target). I would say, first Dot up the main boss you will be damaging during the fight, then the two doggies. Kill the doggies while also keeping in check your uptimes of LB and RoP. Then when the doggies are very very low (sub 10%) swap back to main target and dot Him and the other boss. The do your shizzle on the main boss you will be damaging, letting cleave kill the doggies and keeping LB up on both bosses. When the tanks start moving away check the duration of Living Bomb and if its quite low, refresh it on the runaway boss.

Also I am not sure but I see you did no damage to the slimes. As such I would recommend you get close and use Cone of Cold and AE whilst they are alive (if you can stay alive by doing that).

TL;DR

I am not going to do anything more because mistakes are almost always the same. Generally I get the feeling you have become quite profficient managing your mana and 4stack Arcane blast / Arcane missile weaving, but put too much focus there instead of other important stuff. When slimes spawn, instead of keep 4weaving get close, CoC and AE. More damage!
Also keep good track of Living Bomb. That's the greatest mistake in your play, underestimating the damage a 100% uptime LB can do!

Cheers
Berlinia

Thank you so much for the massive amount of information! You are right I spent too long focusing on mana management and weaving I need to keep an eye on everything else.

I need to start thinking ahead of time instead of just reacting to what is happening currently. Im waiting on some more full clears so I can improve on all bosses, but for now we are locking out on garrosh every week.

I will try do everything you have pointed out :)

Thanks a lot for the help 

Grimmell