FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nalar

ex-hc raiding warlock

hi guys

well on Thursday I got demoted from my raiding guild because they said my dps wasn't good enough,

logs : http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z86MqLmvRCWFartY#type=damage-done&boss=-3

well would like to know what I did wrong ,

the raid leader says I should be doing more dps but as im still new to warcraft logs so cannot interpret correctly to give myself a direction in going,

last time I posted I got told I wasn't using shadowburn enough but made an effort this time to use it more.

any advice going forward would be advantageous

thanks in advance

nalar

Edited by Nalar

First off take a loot at this graph: http://tinyurl.com/o9v28ez

This shows your CB casts in the blue bars, and PBI and KTT procs in green and yellow.

You're not really lining up CBs with procs, or maximizing the amount of CBs cast during procs which is why your damage is low and why your CB damage is really low.

Chances are you're sitting on embers (I can't see your resources as you didn't log with advanced logging enabled). 

You need to work on casting CBs within your procs.

Pick up something like tellmewhen or weakauras to give a nice heads up display of your procs

It's getting kind of late here so hopefully someone else will go into more detail, but I'll skim across the surface quickly.

Armoury is fine. 

Fallen Protectors

Your fallen protectors kill took over 7 minutes, with my most recent one being 3 minutes faster, but we can compare here at least. FWIW I had 7ilvls higher than you.

We both cast 22 Chaos Bolts, which already raises alarm bells because you had 3 extra minutes to generate embers.

Similarly, you cast 14 Shadowburns whereas I managed 16.

Your overall immolate uptime was better than mine, yet you cast it less and had way less ticks. This implies you likely didn't immolate all the things, and weren't snapshotting it properly.

This is shown if we mouseover Immolate; whereas you had only 35% of your Immolate ticks crit, I had nearly 48%, whilst actually having over 1k less crit overall. I don't have the energy to look into how you snapshotted, but you likely aren't using your 4pc properly with Immolate.

You rain of fire usage seemed ok, but I think you could stand to gain more damage by using FnB more during Sun's Desperate Measures. The damage you do to the small adds is copied over to the two bigger ones, so feel free to go to town on them. I usually cleave off of He, but I concede that we stack all 3 together which you likely don't do.

Advanced combat logging wasn't turned on, so can't see if you were ember capped.

Iron Juggernaut

00:00:00.741 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Iron Juggernaut arrow_right2.png

00:00:01.299 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Iron Juggernaut arrow_right2.png

00:00:01.791 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Iron Juggernaut arrow_right2.png

00:00:02.224 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Iron Juggernaut

Is this me being an idiot, or did you actually cast CoE 4 times? Are you trying to force PBI to proc or something, because as soon as it procced you began your opening rotation.

Your opening burst on IJ barely broke 800k. You only cast 3 Chaos Bolts inside the whole bloodlust period.

I notice you did die, but it was to borer drills, so that's your own fault. FYI you took the most damage overall this fight out of all your raiders apart from the tanks, so might want to look at that too.

Overall you cast 9 Chaos Bolts, and 6 Shadowburns. In a fight lasting a minute and a half less, I managed 19 Chaos Bolts and 6 Shadowburns.

I appreciate that you died and do the knockback strat, but there's a trend beginning to show with you not casting Chaos Bolt enough.

Malkorok

I wasn't in for this fight, but I'll compare you to one of our other warlocks who did do it.

In a 5 minute fight you cast 15 Chaos Bolts. It actually did less damage overall than Incinerate.

In a 3 and a half minute fight, our Warlock cast 24 Chaos Bolts. 

You didn't use Havoc (you can either Chaos Bolt the add, or what I prefer is to Havoc the boss, spend 2 charges for embers on the add, and finish with a Shadowburn). Even if Havoc isn't up, you want to be sniping every add. You don't have any other warlocks or shadow priests in your raid, so all those executes should be yours.

Immolate uptime was also barely above 70%, and once again you only had around 35% of your immolate ticks crit. On a single target fight with 30% crit baseline, you should be seeing Immolate crit at least 45% of the time, as there's no reason for you not to be able to maintain it with 4pc. This figure is also usually higher because your opening Immolate should be at like 75%+ crit chance, and again each time you use dark soul together with trinkets and 4pc.

Also you did a really weird opener again. You cast CoE twice again without precasting anything. Your first KTT proc actually expired before you even started casting your first Chaos Bolt.

00:00:01.163 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:01.737 Nalar casts Curse of the Elements on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:03.094 Nalar casts Burning Rush arrow_right2.png

00:00:05.484 Nalar casts Dark Soul: Instability arrow_right2.png

00:00:06.002 Nalar casts Lifeblood arrow_right2.png

00:00:06.406 Nalar casts Berserking arrow_right2.png

00:00:08.079 Nalar begins casting Immolate arrow_right2.png

00:00:08.719 Nalar casts Immolate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:09.429 Nalar casts Conflagrate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:10.282 Nalar casts Conflagrate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:11.377 Nalar begins casting Incinerate arrow_right2.png

00:00:11.958 Nalar casts Incinerate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:12.343 Nalar begins casting Incinerate arrow_right2.png

00:00:13.038 Nalar casts Incinerate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:13.459 Nalar begins casting Incinerate arrow_right2.png

00:00:14.108 Nalar casts Incinerate on Malkorok arrow_right2.png

00:00:14.385 Nalar begins casting Chaos Bolt arrow_right2.png

00:00:15.390 Nalar casts Chaos Bolt on Malkorok

You clearly weren't afk for the pull, but your first Chaos Bolt didn't leave your hands until nearly 16 seconds into the fight. WTF were you doing? You didn't get knocked up because that only occurred once half way through.

TL;DR - I know this was a bit of a sweeping analysis and I didn't go in depth, but I rushed it just to give you something to work with ASAP.

Things you need to work on:

• Actually casting Chaos Bolt more.
  • Keeping 4pc buffed Immolates rolling on as many targets as possible.
  • Learning how to do a proper opener.

Here's my opener just for clarity:

• 3s before pull - Prepot and Incinerate
  • 1s before pull - Immolate
  • On Pull - All Cooldowns and Conflag x2
  • Proceed to Incinerate x3 to generate an ember and proc 4 pc
  • Chaos Bolt
  • Immolate
  • Chaos Bolt
  • Carry on with rotation, getting in 2-3 more Chaos Bolts before Dark Soul and PBI expire.
Edited by Liquidsteel
  • Like 2

Wow , okay I can't remember if I was capped or near to capping embers,

I've seen that advanced logging on some screens but don't know how to enable it,

New to Warcraft logs I am , but liking it .

I'm using weakauras at the moment so might have been complacent on it and not lining up when I should.

Could you have a look over malkorok for me and see what I did wrong because that's the boss I'm getting judged apon why I got demoted, it was my 1st hc kill on that boss as well.

Nalar.

Well, I spent to much time trying to find your armory and they beat me to the points I was going to make. Just for funs, this is the graph for Malk buffs, CBs casts, etc.

I don't put a lot of stock in to Epeenbot because it doesn't give the full story, but it is useful for a very rough overview of a players DPS. clearly this doesn't tell us WHY its low but when someone is this low on this many fights over this many weeks, it does show a major problem needs to be diagnosed.

Thanks liquid,

It's opened my eyes a bit, I did cast CoE 4 times it's a old habit from demo spec back in ToT where trinkets would reliably proc to start your opener ........ And yeah it's a bad habit I should stop !!.

I friggin hate malkorok 1st kill this Wednesday , i don't know what I was doing there, I was more concerned with staying alive than anything else I think . I was all over the place in the later bosses.

Sorry about not putting armoury down , I'm unable to copy/paste onto icy veins for some reason , and for loggs it would accept the manual type in , but the armoury it's not letting me.

But as for the raiding side , I still can go do normals but not hc main runs, but the info you have given me here gives me something to work on, I have broad shoulders so anything else , just let me know , I'm willing to find a solution to my problems.

Nalar.

Sorry about not putting armoury down , I'm unable to copy/paste onto icy veins for some reason , and for loggs it would accept the manual type in , but the armoury it's not letting me.

Dont worry about it man, I was just looking for it so I could find you on RaidBots. I was derping around the US armory going "WHERE THE HELL IS THIS GUY" for longer then I care to admit before it hit me that you were EU.

Bonus tip: Go into the game's settings, go to Network, and turn on Advanced Logging. Then, we can tell you how much you cap yourself on embers, which seems to happen a lot given the low CB usage during a 7-min Protectors.

You have a TON of critical gameplay issues.  I think you need to work from the ground up and reapply what you know to what you relearn.  Chaos Bolt is an intricate part of Destruction - either you get it or you don't.  Currently, you don't.  There are other nuances within the spec, but it's COMPLETELY tied around what you do with Chaos Bolt.  Either you snapshot it, or you don't.  Either you build embers properly, or you don't.  Either you spend embers properly, or you don't.  Immolate not being applied to everything is a Warlock flaw.  It's been a Warlock style for as many years as I've played - if it's alive, DoT it.  Period.  DoT it first, ask questions later.  Destruction is no different. 

Go back to the basics and rework how to use Chaos Bolt properly.  Focus only on keeping Immolate up, using Conflag charges, and consuming Burning Embers with Chaos Bolt with procs in the following priority: Trinkets > Dark Soul > 4pc proc > capped on embers.  You should theoretically never cast a Chaos Bolt that isn't buffed by SOMETHING.  The 4pc is reliable enough to plan around it.

Once you get CBs back down, rework Havoc in as well as getting better snapshots of Immolate.  Treat Immolate as a damage dealer AND resource generator.  Tempus Repit increases tick speed which increases generation of Burning Embers.  If you can snapshot with 4pc, even better.

The reason you were demoted is because it appears that you put forth little to no effort to improve week in and week out.  In fact, as weeks passed, you actually did LESS DPS each time.  No raid leader will tolerate static DPS from week to week.  The fact that you weren't able to identify WHY you were replaced brings up some more concerns.  As a DPS, you're ONLY there to do damage numbers.  Big damage numbers.  If you're not doing big damage, you're sucking up a roster spot for someone else.  DPS in heroic guilds are expected to maintain a very high amount of knowledge about the spec and then USE the knowledge to perform.  Right now, you're in the bottom quarter of Destruction Warlocks on every fight.  That means if you randomly picked you and 3 other Warlocks, you'd be the worst. 

Start from the ground and work your way up. 

• Like 2

I'm building from the ground up! It's hard man...

Practice makes perfect.

thanks for all the feedback , obviously im not as good as I think I am , but ill take it all on board, and starting from the ground up ,

but gear wise , I have hc KTT and normal BBoY , both of them fully upgraded 4/4,  what one is better obviously KTT is hc but just want to find out.

this might sound profoundly 'funny' but when its chaotic on the screen do you have any tips on keeping it all together , like make sure priority is x,y,z , or something like that.

I would advise you to stick to HC KTT even if you get HC BBoY for the time being. No need to add extra complexity. Try to get off 2-3 Chaos Bolts each time it procs, unless Dark Soul and PBI are literally 5 seconds away, then just cast one.

For your second question. What do you mean? As in not panicking?

My tip would be this: KNOW THE FIGHT. Know it. Understand it. Know it so well you could tell your tanks and healers which mechanics they should watch out for.

When you know exactly what you need to be doing at that moment in time, and can think from that moment until the end of the fight and predict each action, you will find the game to be a piece of cake.

Now, if you're talking about a progression fight, then this can be a bit more difficult, but take it one step at a time every pull.

For example right now, I consider Garrosh to be my best fight. I have done progression on it (and killed it) three times, once on 25, again on 10, and then finally a third time on 25. I know that encounter like the back of my hand, and it shows every time I do it. I could probably right an essay on each aspect of it.

You just need to do the same for each encounter. Stuff like on Dark Shamans, instead of thinking "oh shit slimes, gotta move closer to place RoF and turn on FnB, oh wait I didn't save any conflag charges and I have no embers...", you can be like "alright slimes coming in 5 seconds, not gonna use this conflag charge or dump all my Chaos Bolts on this KTT proc cuz then I'll miss out on add AoE".

This thought process should occur every 5-10 seconds on every single fight.

Edit: Actually I just remembered my proverb which I say all the time: be PROactive not REactive.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Stick to KTT brother. Work your way up from a static proc snapshot to a dynamic one.

Ok thanks guys for the info, KTT it is, feeling mixed emotion here, love playing warlock , but it's hit me hard that I'm not as good as I thought I was, but I will perserviere.

I'm taking on board what zagam says and take it by stages, I've found a weak aura string to let me know when the 4piece set bonus proc's and it also comes with the CD as well.

Also thanks liquid your advice is much appreciated, will start to learn the fights more than I have done.

4piece set bonus proc's and it also comes with the CD as well.

Don't pay attention to it's ICD until you master the rest of the spec.  Trying to make your 4 piece proc when you want it to can add quite a bit of complexity even if you can manage all the rest of the spec perfectly as well.  Just assume 5 sec on and then 5 sec off, if you just got the proc it will be up in a bit for Immolate again.

Practice makes perfect.

I'm not trying to derail so I'll post logs after tonight but I can't get warlock aoe down.  I know I know...  I made another lock to get more practice in raids and de'n stuff to make it profitable for me. Don't really answer here but it's hard getting back on top.