FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
almira

Disc trinket

Hi! I'm a 582lv disc priest and i'm on my progression doing Garrosh Heroic 25men. One of my guild members told me to change my tricket. i'm using a Prismatic Prison of Pride and Purified Bindings of Immerseus both level 590, he insists that i should replace Purified Bindings of Immerseus with Thok's Acid-Grooved Tooth ( 577lv) for more healing.

My question is, is the Thok's Acid-Grooved Tooth tricket more effective than PBOI? I mean have you guys tried it already?

Btw my spirit is 18,082 and crit is 37% unbuff.

i think part of of the issies is the heal using a dps trink. for prue healing Nazgrim's Burnished Insignia would be better but it sound to me like they dont know what there talking about healing wise

disc is in a weird place right now becasue of how they changed devine ages. 

most people wont understand going with a dps trink over a heal trink. becasue they dont see you doing dps. but for disc the more you dps the stronger your shields are.

over all your best trinks to have would be Nazgrim's Burnished Insignia and Purified Bindings of Immerseus. you can use the Prismatic Prison of Pride but stacking that and Purified Bindings of Immerseus with the dimmishing returns you get is not worth it

Edited by TIme987

Nazgrim's Trinket is crap. It has a terrible proc rate and I would not recommend it at all. I have not used both amp trinkets as disc but I do know that they work well together for disc. The Thok trinket at least for me never proc'd enough in Disc for me to think it was a great trinket, not like a resto druid or a shammy. If you want to try any trinket the trinket from siege is good for disc. 

On that note, I highly doubt you switching one trinket on heroic garrosh will make or break the fight. I haven't done heroic Garrosh but I would personally stick with what you have and if you feel as a healer that you need to be doing more then try another trinket.

Also instead of worrying about trinkets, I would take that 18k spirit down as low as you can. You really don't need all that spirit. I was 12k which was the lowest I could go and even that was high for a Disc priest.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Pyrae

So the thok tricket is more effective for shammy and druid. Then i'll stick to my tricket now, i'll try to lower my spirit level.

Thanks a lot!

Honestly, the only two trinkets a disc priest should be using at all are PPP (sha of pride) and Blackfuse's samophlange.  PBImmersius doesn't proc unless you start meleeing the boss, which means Blackfuse's trinket is better because of the straight int (not to mention the mana regen.) 

• Like 2

Hi! I'm a 582lv disc priest and i'm on my progression doing Garrosh Heroic 25men. One of my guild members told me to change my tricket. i'm using a Prismatic Prison of Pride and Purified Bindings of Immerseus both level 590, he insists that i should replace Purified Bindings of Immerseus with Thok's Acid-Grooved Tooth ( 577lv) for more healing.

My question is, is the Thok's Acid-Grooved Tooth tricket more effective than PBOI? I mean have you guys tried it already?

Between the three you mentioned.  Personally I'd recommend using PPP and PBoI.  Be mindful of what Brutal mentioned though; the PBoI will not proc as Disc unless you decide to melee the boss. 

If you are willing to put in the work (and I'll assume you'll be pulling HM Garry for a while), you will get more of an increase to your output by doing what Pyrae suggested than you will by switching out any of those trinkets.  That is, start to work on maximizing your mana efficiency.  Make sure you are tracking your LMG and Rapture.  Dropping your Spirit by 1k a week as you work on Garry and putting it into Crit>Mastery will net you better results in the long run but it will require discipline on your part (pun intended).  Without seeing your HM Garry logs and solely going off of where you are in progression, I'd guess you'd be ok to drop 2k the first week after getting all your WAuras set up for getting the most mana out of your toolkit/raid makeup.  Then 1k a week as you increase your efficiency. 

I know the Spirit issue is not what you came here for but it will make your play stronger if you can begin to master it.  If you're interested, here are two great threads on the topic.

Icy-Veins: Disc Priest - How much Spirit

Icy-Veins: Disc Priest - Tips for Mana Efficiency

Stick to the amp trinkets and try to get the trinket off siegecrafter if you want the mana regen, otherwise use either the garrosh trinket or the amp trinket for throughput. Even if the int proc is worthless, the 10% increase to your critical heals/strikes and mastery pays off since both increases the size of your DA shields.

NBI and TAGT are utter trash for discipline. Neither currently interacts with absorbs or atonement healing, which is essentially 70-90% of your healing on most encounters. Consequently the trinkets only have a small chance to proc off the few healing spells that you do cast, defensive penance, PoH and L90 talents, and still only the healing component, it does nothing for the absorption part if it crits.

A trinket like Yu-lon's bite, PBoI, BBoY or DSoD on the other hand will have a net increase to all of your spells.

I did use my original tricket which is PBOI and PPoP and lowers my spirit to 16,000. We have been doing Garrosh heroic for 3 nights now but still fail... My guild is playing with 4 healers; 2 disc priest, 1 shaman and 1 pal. Still can't get through p3, i can't make a fight log because i'm not the first choice for the position, made a mistake once my guild Leader had me replace.

You have too much spirit. You should only have like 7-10k spirit unbuffed. Reforge out of spirit on every item and into Crit, that's what you should be doing. The Nazgrim trinket is bad for Disc, it doesn't proc. Also the Immerseus trinket doesnt proc enough for Disc to be worth of it either.

Best two trinkets for Disc are...

Dysmorphic Sammophlange of Discontinuity - Since you run low Spirit, this proc here is nice.

Prismatic Prison of Pride - It's nice to pair a throughput trinket with a regen trinket.

Thok's trinket doesnt proc often either. This is mostly because you arent casting heals as disc, you are using Attonement and casting/putting bubbles all over the place.

PS: I'm 579 and my unbuffed spirit is 8900 and run a spell power flask when raiding. Mana is not an issue during fights and we are 8/14 heroic currently.

Edited by Nicarras

The siegecrafter trinket is only superior insofar you need the mana regeneration. In cases where you don't, it's essentially a stat stick worth 2.5k intellect, in which case you're likely to get far better results with a throughput trinket like PBoI or BBoY, even Yu-Lon's Bite.

Is Nazgrim's Burning Insignia ever viable?

According to my napkin maths, on my 582 character, I'd get the following:

PBoI 4/4 normal

983 Spirit
1180 Mastery
960 Crit
285 Haste
(possible rare INT proc if I can melee)

NBI 4/4 normal
~= 2093 passive INT
(occasional healing multistrike, useless or not)

NBI 4/4 warforged
~= 2214 passive INT
(occasional healing multistrike, useless or not)

...ignoring all the procs isn't that much INT always going to be better throughput than that gain in mastery/crit/haste/(spi) for me as disc?

Looking at the armory of a better-geared priest, Dracomaros would gain:

PBoI 4/4 normal
494 Spirit
1375 Mastery
1567 Crit
149 Haste

...which is clearly better than even the warforged NBI's equiv 2.2k passive INT. But in my case, shouldn't I be sticking with the NBI I have, until I reach the rating crossover point where PBoI would do more for me?*

*yes I know I should be after the Samoflange or BBoYS trinkets anyway. ;)

You're doing the math wrong for PBoI. It doesn't increase your crit, but rather the healing and damage your critical heals and strikes do. Essentially all of your crits just became n% larger and effectively your DA shields the new crit times your mastery.

Essentially, if your crits with one amp trinket was 110k and you had 50% mastery, all of your DA shields would have a value of 165k. Adding the amp trinket will give you 10% more mastery and 9% higher crits. Your mastery would increase by 1300(roughly), increasing it to 53.7%. Adding the 9% higher crits, your shields will now be hitting for 184.29k, or an increase of 11.69% to your DA generation. Obviously this percentage increases as you get more mastery and the actual increase to your healing depends on your crit chance.

NBI is harder to quantify and doing it by averaging it's value is a terrible mean of comparison. Exploiting the rppm for shields, spirit shell, or L90 talents can make it worth so much more than its average value, but you need to understand how to game it. If you're not playing around it, you shouldn't be using it.

And that doesn't address the multistrike that is incredibly unuseful. Doesn't interact with absorbs, and iirc neither with atonement, leaving it very undesirable.

PBoI isn't very convenient to proc. if you're using a staff, it has about 3seconds attack speed. That would mean, with 15% proc chance, you will get a proc on average of about once every 20seconds of melee attacking. Another thing you have to take into account is that there's a delay between casting and melee attacking. So if you're thinking about melee-casting-melee-casting, its going to take even longer (there's also reaction time now).

Also Steve could you link a source about how shields have higher rppm? I never heard of that before. I always thought disc had higher rppm because of da interaction (heals + crit = 2chances for proc). I never tested this, so i'm probably wrong also. If you have any way to test this out, i'll gladly investigate this phenomenon.

Lastly, my personal opinion, thok trinket is better than PBoI unless you have really low spirit(5-6k) and ignoring a good chunk of gem bonuses(with good gear-550+). And DSoD is better than BBoY unless you want less spirit, and you can't reforge out of spirit any more also. For example, I currently have 6k spirit, and i want 4-5k. Since i still havn't reached my desired spirit, BBoY is better.

I don't think I stated anywhere that shields have higher rppm. What part of my post are you responding to specifically?

I did not intentionally address PBoI's proc. Like you point out, it's unreliable and bothersome to proc. On the other hand I focus solely on the amplification passive on the trinket.

Lastly, my personal opinion, thok trinket is better than PBoI unless you have really low spirit(5-6k) and ignoring a good chunk of gem bonuses(with good gear-550+). And DSoD is better than BBoY unless you want less spirit, and you can't reforge out of spirit any more also.

As I stated in a previous comment DSoD is only better insofar you want/need the spirit regeneration. When that is not the case, the spirit buff is essentially worthless and you should be looking to increase your throughput instead.

Whether TAGT is better than PBoI depends on your PoV. How much healing does the thok trinket do for you for the situation at hand? If we're using my example from above, PBoI would grant you 9 percentage point larger crits,10% more mastery, haste and spirit.

Unless TAGT increases your healing by a similar amount I fail to see what makes it better.

I'm not picking on you steve, i just saw you said 'Exploiting the rppm for shields, spirit shell, or L90 talents' which implies, from my understanding, that it has a higher rppm, which caught my curiosity.

Apparently I forgot a word in that sentence(namely proc after rppm). It implies that using any of those spells with 10 stacks of BBoY would give a much more potent outcome.

By that I mean if you can time it so your highest throughput spells are used with rppm procs your healing goes up more than the averaged value would imply. A halo with 30790 extra spellpower and 12% crit is worth more than the 3k average(?) intellect the trinket gives. Same goes for a trinket like NBI.