Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brewmaster Monk low DPS?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum so I'm sorry if I missed anything or if I'm a bit confusing in my approach. I just have a few questions -

I've been playing a BrM monk for a few months now and I really am loving the class + spec. It's the first tank class that I've legitimately enjoyed and, after seeing ridiculously high numbers pulled by BrM monks in other 10m groups I couldn't wait to get to that threshold.

However, that never really happened.

Despite my reasonably high itemlevel (560) and over 50% crit with my current build, I find myself struggling to hold about 100-110k DPS at any given time. I've gone through normal once or twice with our guild's heroic group on alt runs, but I've never come close to the damage that I've seen other monks pull.

As a reference point, we had a 574 ish BrM as a tank for our heroic group for a brief spell and I never saw him drop below 200k+ single target DPS. When I asked him about it, he told me he used tiger palm pretty much on every empty GCD, and sure enough tiger palm was his #1 damaging ability. I attempted to follow suit but was unable to replicate anything -close- to that.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what but I'm just not doing the damage I see other brewmasters do. This is more noticable on single target fights as I'm normally able to do decently on AoE encounters.

I was talking to another brewmaster that I had in LFR the other day who was 15 ish itemlevels below me yet pulling the same (if not more) damage. She told me she was using rushing jade wind a LOT (nearly on CD) and I did notice a decent increase in DPS, as RJW was my #1 damaging ability. Yet even though it increased my damage I still am not doing as much as I think I should be doing.

I use Keg Smash + Chi Wave pretty much on CD (though Chi wave could definitely use some work) and I have two DPS trinkets, along with a reasonable amount of crit. I can tank just fine, but extra DPS never hurt, especially in 10 man where individual performance counts more. 

Here's my armory for reference, and I'd love to hear any feedback on this, because I'm at a loss at this point.

I've seen a lot of high damage tanks using the DPS legendary cloak which makes a good amount of damage.

As far as more DPS goes it also depends on the content your tanking. If you're not getting enough vengeance then you're not gonna do as much damage.

I guess so. I mean the monk I referenced had a tanking legendary and 2 DPS trinkets, buit maybe it's because I haven't been in any high vengeance fights yet.

I'm tanking SoO normal tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Monks single target is not that great compared to other tank classes. We are more useful on cleave damage.

This also means that you need to position bosses and sometimes mould strats to get more dps.

E.G. Fallen Protectors

Having the bosses stacked as much as possible and maintianing RJW will give great dps.

But if you split rook and he off then you cant cleave.

Tracking  your vengeance, pre potting and the lvlv 90 talent you pick will give you a large change on fight to fight.

Vengeance is the key to big damage but you also need to be using the right moves as well.

The disarm buff you can get provides a nice little boost so be sure to use that as much as possible when you can.

With high vengeance and cleave Keg smash should be up closer to your top damage done. After that melee and BoK should be  following. Again this is very fight dependant.

Galakras is another perfect example. If you do towers your AoE capabilites are diminished. By using your statue to AoE taunt you can get a few second or more of everything attacking you to build some big vengeance then have the OT taunt the mini bosses or 1 or 2 adds off you.

Pick the right lvl 90 talent - Xuen or RJW

get a dps cloak

whore vengeance

Keg smash on CD, chi wave on CD, keep tiger palm buff up, BoK to dump chi(sometimes a sneaky BoF with 4+ targets) and Tiger palm as filler.

Disarm buff is a defensive CD for tanks, not damage.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kathriana
      Guild Vengeance (Alonsus) is recruiting for hc/mythic raids in legion!
      We are a mature 18+ guild with a core team of experienced players. Atm we are raiding EN hc, our progress is 7/7 hc. We are ready to start on mythic and are currently looking for active and dedicated players to complete our raiding team. Our raiding days: wed, thus, mon 20-23 ST.
      What we expect from players: Have you char raid ready with appropriate raiding specs, enchants, gems and consumables, for a raiding rank to be able to attend at least 2-3 raids per week, be prepared with tactics and have at least some heroic raiding experience. Be mature and have positive raiding attitude.
      What we will provide: As a guild we have existed since TBC and we have cleared all raids on heroic and mythic difficulty in previous expansions. During our raids we make sure that we have solid tactics that is always adjusted to the group composition, we provide fast and effective problem solving if there are any issues occurring during the encounter. And most importantly we have a good and enjoyable raiding atmosphere, we make sure we progress, kill bosses and have fun at the same time!
      Who we are recruiting: Currently we are looking for Ranged DPS. Any other exceptional applicants might be considered.
      To Apply:
      For any questions:VR1#2581
    • By mischievous
      Cleared Heroic and Normal Emerald Nightmare in the first week of it's release.
      Classes Needed:
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Always looking for exceptional DPS of any class.

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply at our website  If you have questions about the application process, contact any of the officers for additional information.

Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H Recruiting Ranged DPS and Heals for Mythic progression.
      About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of in real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus during Firelands (Cataclysm). We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids.
      What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids. At this moment, we are only seeking out ranged DPS (prefer lock, mage, or hunter) and healers (prefer druid or monk).
      Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Ventrilo for our raids. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster (ie. if we only have 2 healers available, we cannot do 20man that night).
      If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!
    • By Wixii
      Boom Time is currently recruiting healers (and as always exceptional dps).
      What healers do we need?
      - Paladin (high)
      - Monk
      - 870+ (Not absolute minimum)
      - Mythic experience or impressive logs
      - A sense of humour
      Wednesday - 19:00-23:00
      Thursday - 19:00-23:00
      Sunday - 19:00-23:00
      Contact info, about us, etc
      Wixii#2580 (Healing Officer)
      Origin#2634 (Ranged Officer)
      Warlofd#2979 (Melee Officer)
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an alliance guild on the PVE server Uldum, we are currently 4/7 mythic and looking to add 1 mage and 1 warlock to our ranks. Union has been around since Vanilla and has had the same core of raiders for years. We pride ourselves on raiding just 10 hours per week and being able to maintain top 150 US throughout the last tiers of raiding. We raid:

Tuesday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Thursday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Sunday 7-11 EST (4-8 PST)

We are looking for a mage that not only parses high, but has good survival instincts and always comes prepared to each raid.

Hit me up in game: Stormcaster#1629