FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grom

Resto : what can i do to improve ?

Hi there !

Firstly, let me tell you that Icy-Veins, the guides and the forum have been a great help for me, and taht I find taht you do an extremly good job in helping people improve themselves.

I really appreciate the fact that you spend time helping people that ask you, and so I decided to give it a try :) .

My guild has recently finished doing NM (we started late...), and we are beginning HM (for 2 weeks), with so far, Imerseus killed 2 times, Prot : nope, Norushen 1 kill (hopefully one more this evening), and that's all.

We have a few problems due to summer, some people's harware etc, so the roster is changing every week. Even though this is not very good obv, this shouldn't be an excuse for my performances, hence my asking here.

Here is my armory : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/dalaran/Altia/simple

As for WCL, here is the sole (so far) WCL i have, from last night (my RL is used to WoL) : http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/BQfdjvh6FDWwmx3G

I'd like to hear what you can tell me !

Btw : i have another (related question) : what kind of screens are you playing on ? I use my 17'' laptop one (1600x900) and find that it may be too small when i compare with some others UI. I have some infomation overlaping with others (small amount however)

Thanks for your help, I'll try to post some logs about tonight's raid tomorrow !

Hey there Grom, and welcome!

There are obviously two different things that we can give you feedback on; gear/spec (easier to remedy and discuss) and playstyle (requires a lot more practice/revision and discussion as you improve). We'll be around for ages, so don't be scared to come back to this thread and update us with how you improve! I'll split up my feedback to reflect that.

___Gear___

You have the right idea, I think; you're reforging into Crit and Haste at the expense of Spirit and Mastery, which is completely sensible. With the cloak and the meta gem, you're doing well on the Legendary side as well. But, since you have those AND two awesome regen trinkets, I'd suggest you drop your Spirit a bit more if you can.

With the LMG, 11k Spirit should do you pretty solidly (especially if you're using the Magma Totem Recall trick). However, make sure you're comfortable with it - you should be going OOM or very close to it on progress fights, and if you're OOM too early then consider your playstyle before your gear. 11k is only a guideline, you don't have to stick rigidly to a specific number.

Also try to get some gear upgrades on your highest ilvl pieces - those Heroic items especially! They'll be invaluable as you progress further.

Overall, pretty damn good :-)

___Spec___

I see you're running Glyph of Riptide and Glyph of Cleansing Waters, both of which are decent picks for Heroic Protectors but always worth thinking about whether you need them on other fights. You can and should be swapping glyphs/talents on a regular basis throughout the raid.

I might recommend Stone Bulwark Totem over Astral Shift, because it's somewhat better for regular damage absorption - especially on Heroic Protectors! However, stick with Astral Shift if you're meant to be soaking the add.

I also recommend Windwalk Totem for Heroic Protectors, because it dispels the slow from Corrupted Brew if anyone gets hit by that.

___Playstyle___

I'm looking here at your wipes on the HC Protectors, since that's your main challenge right now.

For a start, look at the dispels! Here is a WCL plot with all casts of Shadow Word: Bane (green) and your dispels (red) and your co-healer's dispels (blue). You can clearly see that your co-healer is working much harder on the dispels than you are! Dispelling these casts immediately is crucial to your success in this fight - the debuff deals way too much damage to keep on top of when combined with the rest of the fight. Work on that dispelling!

In addition, you might want to arrange with your co-healer a system for choosing who to dispel: my favourite is to each pick a group to prioritize; if I pick Group 1 and one person in that group gets SW:B on them, I dispel them first (my co-healer does Group 2 in the same manner) - if both are in one group, then you pick whichever is fastest.

If you look here, you can see how your totems (Healing Stream and Healing Tide) were timed to coincide with Calamity. This is very good - using your burst healing to respond to big damage spikes like that. I like it. Make sure that you're not overlapping your major cooldowns with your fellow healers, and also make sure your DPS are using their raid cooldowns for the first couple of Calamities (so you can save yours for more difficult parts).

HOWEVER, I think I can see why you wiped on this particular fight - you didn't put Sun into her Desperate Measures phase fast enough! Look here, where you can see casts of Calamity and casts of Dark Meditation (as well as you cast of Spirit Link Totem). Your raid nearly had an 80% Calamity! This is far too big. Your raid needs to phase Sun much earlier; like, ideally a whole minute sooner. That's more of a criticism of your raid than you in particular. Plan what cooldowns are used for which Calamities, and make sure that you stick to it. You shouldn't have to do beyond Calamity number 4 (60%), but have an emergency backup plan for Calamity 5 (70%) just in case.

On that subject though, I don't see a single cast of Ascendance anywhere. This is really essential; I would advise using it for Sun's Desperate Measures phase (when everyone gets stacked), but you could use it for a Calamity instead if you like.

That should get you started at least. Good luck, and keep coming back! :-)

___Screens___

I play with a 21.5" Desktop monitor at about the same resolution (I think) and it does very well for me. I always find less than 20" is a bit awkward.

Hi !

Thanks for the help, I think you have stressed out what I already thought, for most part; I'll keep working on it !

--Gear--

I'll try to drop the spirit, I have been Ok on immerseus, little harder on Prot, but we wyped before I reached OoM. I have to test the magma trick yet, epsecially since there is a very good WA for shams here.

--Spec-- 

Right ! I forgot to talk about glyphs :

I used cleansing water since Immerseus and Ports need many dispels, however I noticed on WCL taht it represents a veeeeeery tiny amount of healing overall, so I'm not sure whether there may be a better option ?

As for Riptide, I'm very used to it. I tried changing once, but I find the couterpart is very minor since the initial heal is very low, and this allow my to blanket the raid. Maybe it's a wrong playstyle ?

I should add that I didn't find any better glyph so far too. (I switch between chaining heal (not sur about the name sry) and cleanse water mostly). 
However, with the magma trick, I'll have to use the repell glyph ! 
I'll have a closer look on the fights, try to see an optimal combination for all these, thanks !

And i'll think about thoses talent switch you said, I tend to forget these indeed.

--playstyle--

I made indeed some horrible pulls about the dispels, sometimes i just get lost and it's a shame tongue.png . But we assigned the dispels with decursive, it went well (or better at least) when i did not forget (this one is better : http://tinyurl.com/n7jx8d4, even though not perfect). I'll work on being more consistent

The calamity was a big problem indeed. How do you suggest we can do better ? Is it because the overall dps is too low ? Or maybe we need to cleave more, so He and Sun are closer for the Desperatre measure ?

And for Ascendance, I'll do it yep, especially since my cohealer told me he used this phase to regen a little (and I was like : wtf this damage output all of a sudden haha).

For the screen, I'll wait for some money hu, get a new PC with a nice screen then ^^.

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll try it this evening and tell you tomorrow !

Edited by Grom

This is very unfortunate, but my raid collapsed yesterday :( .

Further updates will have to wait then, but i'll keep your advices in mind !

This is very unfortunate, but my raid collapsed yesterday sad.png .

Oh man, that sucks! It's that time of year though, I know what it's like. I hope you get back to raiding soon!

Right ! I forgot to talk about glyphs :

I used cleansing water since Immerseus and Ports need many dispels, however I noticed on WCL taht it represents a veeeeeery tiny amount of healing overall, so I'm not sure whether there may be a better option ?

As for Riptide, I'm very used to it. I tried changing once, but I find the couterpart is very minor since the initial heal is very low, and this allow my to blanket the raid. Maybe it's a wrong playstyle ?

I should add that I didn't find any better glyph so far too. (I switch between chaining heal (not sur about the name sry) and cleanse water mostly). 

Remember that you don't have to have all three Glyph slots used if you don't find good uses for them.

The Glyph of Riptide is fantastic, but on some fights you want other glyphs more (I didn't use it on Galakras HC, for instance - I tool Healing Stream Totem and Capacitor Totem instead!). The initial heal isn't massive, but it's noticeable (especially if it crits) and if you're used to the heal it becomes an integral part of your rotation.

The real trick with glyphs and talents though is not to stick with a single setup - swap them out early and often, especially on fights you're having real problems with. When I was doing Heroic Dark Shaman progress, I went through pretty much every talent combination I could think of before I found the best combo!

Changing glyphs as resto can be pretty huge; while the dps ones basically amount to small damage or survivability benefits (or utility), the healing glyphs can really change your entire playstyle.  I did a full 180 when healing Heroic Juggernaut from my usual style just by switching out one glyph (chaining for riptide).  I highly encourage you to experiment constantly, even if what you're doing seems to be working; maybe there's something that will work even better!